Gemma Teller Morrow: God Wants Her to Be a Fierce Mother

• Please log in to reply

28 replies to this topic

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Sep 4, 2010 @ 10:50 AM

Played by Katey Sagal, she is wife to Clay, and mother to Jax by her marriage to John Teller. At the end of Season Two, she was fleeing Upton.

I’m open to suggestions for the thread title.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Sep 4, 2010 @ 10:59 AM.

nicole61083

nicole61083

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 7, 2010 @ 4:25 PM

I have a suggestion gemma morrow: the scariest one of all

Gabria13

Gabria13

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 7, 2010 @ 10:55 PM

Iím open to suggestions for the thread title.

God Wants Her To Be A Fierce Mother.

Edited by Gabria13, Sep 7, 2010 @ 10:59 PM.

ThatBadgerChick

ThatBadgerChick

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 11, 2010 @ 12:36 AM

All Hail The Queen.

Doorlocks

Doorlocks

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 11, 2010 @ 8:59 PM

God Wants Her To Be A Fierce Mother.

Perfect!

Coldit

Coldit

Fanatic

Posted Dec 14, 2010 @ 10:04 AM

And finally Katey Sagal snags herself an Emmy nomination! I thought she should've gotten it for S2, but she's still wonderful. I imagine she submitted one of Gemma's scenes with her dad.

momallrat

momallrat

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 14, 2010 @ 2:29 PM

She was nominated for a Golden Globe, not an Emmy. However,the Emmys do often nominate those who have been nominated for Golden Globes because that kind of attention puts a show on the Emmy voters collective radar. We can only hope that happens in this case.

Edited by momallrat, Dec 14, 2010 @ 2:30 PM.

Coldit

Coldit

Fanatic

Posted Dec 14, 2010 @ 3:58 PM

She was nominated for a Golden Globe, not an Emmy.

I know, sorry about that -- it was early. For me, anyway!

Morrolan

Morrolan

Fanatic

Posted Dec 14, 2010 @ 5:04 PM

She was nominated for a Golden Globe, not an Emmy. However,the Emmys do often nominate those who have been nominated for Golden Globes because that kind of attention puts a show on the Emmy voters collective radar. We can only hope that happens in this case.

Meh after this season I'm over her. She's good for the role but I now find her really mannered. And given the Globes also nominated Piper Perabo its not much of an honour.

geminigirl789

geminigirl789

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 3:18 AM

From e-online's coverage

The HFPA surely pleased legions of scorned Sons of Anarchy fans by naming Katey Sagal Best Actress in a TV Drama, finally sending some love her way for her role as the stoic yet ruthlessly protective First Old Lady of a morally compromised motorcycle club.

Read more: http://uk.eonline.co...l#ixzz1BHKi0WuY

She should've won it for S2, but I'll take it. They were on in the middle of the night for me, so couldn't watch the show itself. Did anyone else from SoA show up?

This from EW

WORST: Katey Sagal gets played off
Immediately after Christian Bale's marathon acceptance speech, Katey Sagal strolled onstage to receive a Globe for Sons of Anarchy...and had barely even said ''Thank you'' before the exit music started playing. (TV people in general didn't get much love from the Globes' producers tonight ó Steve Buscemi had just begin his acceptance speech when he noted plaintively of the teleprompter, ''It's saying 'Please wrap up' already!'')

Not sure I love the dress.

Edited by geminigirl789, Jan 17, 2011 @ 3:25 AM.

Coldit

Coldit

Fanatic

Posted Jan 25, 2011 @ 11:42 AM

They were on in the middle of the night for me, so couldn't watch the show itself. Did anyone else from SoA show up?

Sutter was the only one I saw.

gianr369

gianr369

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 25, 2011 @ 3:37 PM

Ally Walker (Stahl) was there. She seemed very happy for Katey.

CtLady

CtLady

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2011 @ 2:48 PM

Moved from The Sons In The Media thread discussion since it's Gemma-related:

I too thought that the problem was not with Katie Sagal's performance, it was that Gemma became almost unbearable to watch. Gemma's antics in Season 3 put the club in a very dangerous postion and it was hard for me to root for her like i did in season 2 because Gemma never thinks things through. She's very aggressive, assertive and stubborn which is funny because it's those same things that made me root for her. Another thing that bothers me about Gemma is that she never really pays for the things she puts in motion. She set out to kill Zobelle's daughter, regardless of the girls actions she didn't deserve to die and accidentedly caused the death of the caregiver, i know that was an accident but it bothers me how easy it is for her to take a life. She put into effect the events of Abel's kidnapping but NOBODY calls her out on it - that's what eats me up the most about Gemma. NO ONE has the guts to keep her in line.

I disagree. Polly Zobelle certainly had what was coming to her. She facilitated in the gang rape of another woman. She also was helping her father run illegal guns and heroin to criminals. She wasn't exactly Pollyanna!

The caretaker did try to shoot Gemma, granted the gun was empty. She attacked Gemma with a knife and hit Tara upside the head with an oxygen tank and all Tara did was try to help her

I agree that Polly and the caretaker deserved it, but what about Gemma just taking off to her dad's when she was under strict orders to stay in hiding at the cabin? What about taking off after bringing her dad to a home to go turn herself in, causing the entire MC to rush back for her, which resulted in her heart attack? What about her NEED to sneak out of the hospital to go off to Ireland with the rest of the boys because, well, it's HER GRANDSON - forcing Tig to be left behind? Tig telling Jax "you need your mom more" was BULLSHIT! There's nothing Gemma could've done that Tig couldn't.

And while in Ireland, if it weren't for Fiona's cool head, Gemma would've ordered the death of her entire family if Fiona didn't stop Gemma from killing Jimmy in Mo's kitchen. Just her sitting at the table with the other guys in Ireland, giving her input, etc. is so unrealistic because old ladies - President's wives or not - are supposed to keep their nose out of club business - unless their name is Gemma Teller-Morrow. I think Gemma takes her position as the founder's late wife and the current president's wife to her head.

Then...when she gets back from Ireland, Clay tells her to get to the cabin where Piney's waiting for her, but noooooooo she had to stay and hold Abel a little while longer.

That's what bothers me about Gemma. Jax gets called out by Clay because Jax won't ask Tara for help whereas Clay says, "she's just a chick", then Jax's "act like an old lady....do what you're told!" schpiel to Tara, yet Gemma - Queen Frickin' Bee or not - gets away with it.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Jan 27, 2011 @ 11:41 AM

The caretaker did try to shoot Gemma, granted the gun was empty. She attacked Gemma with a knife and hit Tara upside the head with an oxygen tank and all Tara did was try to help her

I agree that Polly and the caretaker deserved it, but what about Gemma just taking off to her dad's when she was under strict orders to stay in hiding at the cabin?

Wait I am a little confused, are you saying that the care taker deserved to be killed and Gemma was justified in murdering her (and let's face it even though the actual death was accidental it was still murder). I mean that caretaker lady was kidnapped and held captive by a wanted fugitive, she was killed trying to escape from captivity (since she probably felt even if she didnít escape she would be killed anywyas). And once she was killed her body was dissolved with chemicals and poured down a laundry sink. All this happened to her just because she took a job as a home care nurse. Do you really think she had it coming?

CtLady

CtLady

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2011 @ 12:08 PM

All this happened to her just because she took a job as a home care nurse. Do you really think she had it coming?

Yes, the murder was accidental, but Gemma let's face it - the caretaker did pull a rifle on Gemma because she wanted to turn her in for the reward money. And, if Gemma put up a fight, I wouldn't think twice that the caretaker wouldn't have shot Gemma. I guess it's a matter of kill or be killed. Which, of course, all of this would've been avoided if Gemma just "did what she was told as an old lady" and stayed put under watch instead of forcing Tig to leave his post and follow her like a puppy dog to see her father.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Jan 27, 2011 @ 12:43 PM

Yes, the murder was accidental, but Gemma let's face it - the caretaker did pull a rifle on Gemma because she wanted to turn her in for the reward money. And, if Gemma put up a fight, I wouldn't think twice that the caretaker wouldn't have shot Gemma. I guess it's a matter of kill or be killed.

The nurse was just some lady trying to do her job Gemma was a fugitive wanted for murder. The killing might have been accidental in that it wasn't planned, but just about everywhere if you are holding someone against there will and you use force and kill them when they try to escape it is still murder.

justcause

justcause

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 18, 2011 @ 2:25 PM

Just got into this show through friends and can't get over how amazingly Shakespearean/Lady MacBeth Gemma is. The performance is so riveting how is this series not on everyone's minds. It's fantastic!

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Nov 30, 2011 @ 8:02 AM

This show. For the last several episodes, Iíve been wondering why Gemma has been unable to see or to admit that Jax and Tara and the boys could be happier (or at least a lot safer) living away from Charming. After these last two episodes, I finally think I see it. If Jax doesnít stay in Charming and become President of the club, her entire life is meaningless. She gave up her relationship with her parents, lost one husband and a baby, and has spent twenty years scheming and fighting to the point where she has turned on her second husband, so that the day would come when Jax would take his rightful place on the throne. If that doesnít happen, or if Tara is the person who makes that happen, what was her life for?

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Posted Nov 3, 2012 @ 12:07 PM

I have watched the first two seasons on Netflix. I keep trying to think how this show varies from all the other variations of the outlaws with their own culture, i.e. The Godafther, Sopranos, etc. Besides the obvious that these are bikers rather than the mafia, Gemma stands out because she full embraces the club and what it stands for, even participates in its evil ways. This is as opposed to most of the mafia wives that try to live in and out of the world, enjoying the lifestyle while trying to imagine that they are innocent of the lives of their husbands or simply don't know what they are truly doing when nothing could be farther from the truth. Its certainly a different perspective for a female lead in this situation

TommyWalt

TommyWalt

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 10:35 PM

By far the most Machiavellian character on the show. She will undoubtedly be left standing on top of the steaming pile when all has been written...

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 3:19 AM

Gemma stands out because she full embraces the club and what it stands for, even participates in its evil ways. This is as opposed to most of the mafia wives that try to live in and out of the world, enjoying the lifestyle while trying to imagine that they are innocent of the lives of their husbands or simply don't know what they are truly doing when nothing could be farther from the truth.

And she has relationships within the club with some of the men outside of just being Clay's wife. Carmela Soprano was social with the other members of the mob, but they seem pretty superficial when compared to Gemma's relationship with Tig, and a couple of others, for example. Helps her with the Machiavellian stuff.

Lilybee

Lilybee

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2013 @ 11:04 PM

I have a question about Gemma's scar. Is it from heart surgery or did someone cut her in the past? It looks too raggety for it to be from surgery.

00redsvt

00redsvt

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 21, 2013 @ 1:47 PM

So I'm gonna be shallow for a minute...that thing she does with her mouth really bugs me. I notice it when she is supposed to be sad or scared about something but it looks like she's chattering her teeth together. It kind of reminds me of a fish on land or something. I've just sat through 4 seasons in 7 days on netflix and I just had to get the mouth thing off my chest.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Sep 8, 2013 @ 7:09 PM

Dear Gemma, 

Today they have this thing called a phone, and also video chatting, so that you can keep in touch with your loved ones when they move farther up the coast. They also have these things called trains and planes and cars, that allow you to visit your "boys" in Oregon. 

From BakerX2 in the Season Six thread:

I don't think Jax is thinking about heirs yet. Gemma on the other hand, probably has it all mapped out in her head since Abel's birth about how he will run the club as the heir apparent's heir apparent. It's why she is so utterly obsessed with keeping the kids inside the bubble world of SAMCRO, since it will allow her to indoctrinate the next generation of SAMCRO leadership. Evil is taught in a lot of cases and Gemma's the sort of smooth talker who probably could easily turn her naive grandchildren into anti-authoritarian, might makes right, fuck the police, live off the grid outlaw biker if she get control over them and cut them off from normal folks at a young age.

Yes, it's just sad how she thinks her claim on the boys is greater than Tara's or even Jax's. Your explanation makes sense to me. I also can see that as her need to justify all of the decisions she's made for the club, from leaving her parents in the dust to whatever her role in John Teller's death to her fingering Tara for conspiracy to murder. If Jax and the boys don't keep the club leadership a dynasty, what did she do all of those awful things for? I don't think she consciously thinks that, but I think on a subconscious level that's part of her motivation. 

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Oct 4, 2013 @ 12:24 AM

This is a quote from a post in the episode thread:

In my opinion, Gemma no longer has status there.  She's no longer the queen - Tara is.  And she ain't an ol' lady since wrote off Clay and freely shacking up with another guy - while she's still married.  Right now, her only claim is that she's the president's mother - that's it.  Her entitled power trip makes me sick to my stomach and it's Sutter's way of making his wife out to be some fearsome bitch when she's nothing but an annoying has-been who still hasn't learned her place after the beating she got.

I agree that in theory Gemma's status with the club has changed (and I'm assuming that saying she still hasn't learned her place is meant for Gemma in the eyes of the club), but over the years she's been shown to have a personal and often maternal or flirty individual relationship with each of the guys. There was an example of that just couple of weeks ago, when she had a newbie put his hand on her breast so that he wouldn't call her "ma'am" again. She may not have the title of the queen, but she still retains a lot of the power and connections that I haven't seen Tara take the time to make. Not sure when she would have had the time, but the only person I've seen Tara interact with on some sort of personal level other than babysitter is Opie. 

And yes, Sutter has given Sagal a really juicy part. He's written a really complex role for a forty-something woman, and given how few parts there are at all for women that age in TV, I applaud him. It's certainly not a Mary Sue role, or a cartoon villain or noble heroine or any of the other clichés that vanity parts often fall into. And it's not as if he's given her something beyond her acting abilities, either. But then for me, accuracy about how MCs operate is down on my list for what I'm looking for in this show. 

Artsda

Artsda

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2013 @ 1:07 AM

I agree that I think that Gemma's still the top lady/Queen of the club in what matters except name. Tara may be the President's wife, but she's not behaving that way like how Gemma ruled the club. She's not handling business for the club like Gemma does still. I also don't see the trust and love the guys have with her that they have with Gemma.

Tara gets called in when someone is hurt but for actual big business she doesn't seem involved. Jax instantly told Gemma about the IRA and Prospects killing the second Nero was gone. Tara gets run around explanations like saying "it was a regular day." 

vimrod

vimrod

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2014 @ 3:33 AM

So, what's the consensus people? She will meet a bloody end yes? Please? From what was once a fascinating character to a flat-out hateful person, ugh, no, I just root for this character anymore. I understand Kurt Sutter giving his wife those big gasp-worthy moments but it's become way too grating for her to live to terrorise another day. DIE PLEASE. 

HelpBass79

HelpBass79

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 23, 2014 @ 6:34 PM

I think that KS took his wife's character, Gemma, over the edge, into the abyss, beyond all that was necessary in anyone's perception of this show. For what purpose I can't fathom. There is no storyline that makes any sense. If Sutter was through with Tara's character, she could have been shot by a roving gang member, or hit by a car, or shot by someone seeking revenge. But to be horribly murdered by Gemma? I agree that this character must be quickly removed by whatever means necessary. Prison. Psych ward. Whacked by Unser in a jealous rage. It doesn't have to be bloody. Just go away, Gemma, please. I don't want to see your wicked face anymore.

Edited by HelpBass79, Jan 23, 2014 @ 6:39 PM.

vimrod

vimrod

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2014 @ 3:17 AM

Agreed HelpBass. Having Tara be killed off was actually a good storytelling idea that could have easily had impact, while I loved the character, I can totally see so many different ways she could have met an end. She's made bad decisions, wrong choices, did some stupid things, there was plenty of impetus for her to be killed of organically that would actually have been astonishing and powerful. But for Gemma to once again rear her ugly head, and be the force behind every damn thing, Sutter needs to seriously just go ahead and make her president of the MC. I remember watching S1 and appreciating her character in all its flaws but as the series has gone on, she's rapidly become a cartoon character. It's just one Gemma "quirk" after the other with no repercussion. Holding babies at gunpoint, bashing Ima's head into the counter, hitting Tara, frequently meddling in her and Jax's business, even when she's not needed she's there like in the Ireland storyline. I'm gonna have to set a Google alert or something so that hopefully if she dies in the first episode of S7, I can tune back in because the character has become so flat out hateful that I cant watch the last damn season. Jax should just marry her already, she's clearly in love with her son in the most sick and twisted way because that's pretty much what all her actions thus far are showing.