S8 - Ivy Higa: Collapsing under the Weight of Her Own Ego

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

142 replies to this topic

Fukui San

Fukui San

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2010 @ 11:24 AM

A commenter on Project Rungay pointed out that at this point, Ivy is the only designer still in the competition who has yet to be in the Top 3.

Just thought that was the perfect factoid to start her thread off with. "The Ivy Show" indeed.

Edited by Fukui San, Sep 3, 2010 @ 11:27 AM.

Skelley

Skelley

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2010 @ 11:37 AM

Her work certainly hasn't impressed me. At least not as much as her personality, which has impressed me in a very negative way. She can't leave soon enough. I'd like to see her go next, even before Gretchen.

Blisters

Blisters

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 3, 2010 @ 11:52 AM

I was hoping when she started out that she'd be fun, but oh my god I can't wait for her unimpressive ass to get booted off this show.

I did laugh when she said she judged people on personality. Oh honey, you'd better hope others don't.

dietplum

dietplum

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2010 @ 12:07 PM

She just doesn't seem particularly bright. And it's not just that she's inarticulate. I feel like if we could see inside her head it would be a cartoon of little mice in tutus running on a wheel.

Skelley

Skelley

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2010 @ 12:48 PM

I found it rather amusing that she said she liked everything about her look this week, except the pants. Um, aren't the pants what you made this week? Weren't they the focus since you made them out of the bridesmaid dress?

Leesaa

Leesaa

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 3, 2010 @ 2:28 PM

Ivy is petty, immature, and annoying. Every week she seems to get more ridiculous. Her junior high mean girl antics are getting out of hand. When she accused Michael C. of sabotaging her, I laughed out loud. The girl is delusional, and has no self awareness at all. Please get her off my screen!

TryDelta

TryDelta

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 3, 2010 @ 3:30 PM

What is it with this bitch? Why is she so entitled? Where does that massive ego and lack of self-awareness come from?

anonymiss

anonymiss

Fanatic

• Interests:TV: Breaking Bad ...

Posted Sep 3, 2010 @ 4:42 PM

It's ugly of me to say this but I hate Ivy's ugly face, ugly voice, and even uglier personality. And her designs range from mediocre to ugly.

nelblu

nelblu

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 3, 2010 @ 7:58 PM

A commenter on Project Rungay pointed out that at this point, Ivy is the only designer still in the competition who has yet to be in the Top 3.

Hate to argue with such a delicious factoid, but when has April been in the top 3? Also never, I think.

As for Ivy, she's psycho. I think that's the only explanation for her behavior.

Edited by nelblu, Sep 3, 2010 @ 8:00 PM.

Fukui San

Fukui San

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2010 @ 8:09 PM

April was on the winning team of the team challenge. Does that count?

Anabolina

Anabolina

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 3, 2010 @ 10:03 PM

Should I admit that Ivy's stuff has consistently been some of the most wearable stuff for me(which doesn't mean anything in a design competition since wearable does not equal fashion). Her blue dress from the party episode is the reason I watched that episode and then went back and watched the previous ones.

On the whole personality thing.... I still think she's funny and totally get where she's coming from in the competition. It's kinda like ANTM's Bianca. I loved her and thought she was the best even though she was the season's villain.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Sep 4, 2010 @ 12:32 AM

Just thought that was the perfect factoid to start her thread off with. "The Ivy Show" indeed.

Not only that but she's been in the bottom twice. Once for her pants made out of pants and once for Team Luxe and her Maude outfit. In fact when I watched her audition video I disliked her and her portfolio and she has done nothing to change that fact. On the show everything she has made has been either too big or too tight. I can't wait for her to be auf'd.

EmbraceTheDark

EmbraceTheDark

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2010 @ 3:26 PM

She really is heinous - "bitch of the show" indeed. I know people are hate on Gretchen hardcore (and rightfully so), but Ivy is hands down my least favorite contestant this season, which is certainly no easy feat among this slightly abhorrent (albeit entertaining) group.

I don't necessarily mind bitchery and snarkiness in Project Runway contestants as long they have some sense of humor about it all or at least have the stellar skills to back up all that confidence and smugness, but she has none of that. NOTHING she has made has been remorely impressive to me, and her design for the group challenge was particularly atrocious.

I gave her some side eye for her comments about the "Ivy show" in the first episode, and since then she's done nothing to sway that negative impression.

It's one thing to critique Michael C's skills, but labeling him as "lazy or ignorant" was so beyond out of line, and she should have been pimpslapped HARD for that outrageously assholish "Of course you did!" retort. Ugh.

And when Michael tried to be an adult and talk about the alleged "sabotage" in front of the group, her response was so ridiculous and juvenile. Perhaps she's been unfairly edited (REALLY doubtful though), but personally, I choose to believe she's petty, annoying, delusional, mean, and a suck ass designer. Haaate.

If she is eliminated before Michael C, I will be a happy girl.

Edited by EmbraceTheDark, Sep 4, 2010 @ 3:29 PM.

twitches

twitches

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2010 @ 9:52 PM

The whole "Michael stole my buttons" drama sealed it for me. Ivy is unhinged. She knew she wasn't going to excel at that challenge and she purposely started a ridiculous rumor to scapegoat MC, once again. That is flat-out crazy-ass, junior-high school behavior. Next episode I predict she will start prank-calling MC's cellphone: "Is your sewing machine running? Too bad you don't know how to use it, you ignorant button-stealer!"

Vian

Vian

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 5, 2010 @ 2:05 PM

I really, really want to know the truth about the designer showcase rumors. Did Michael make an offhand comment that got totally blown out of proportion? (If the incident was based on any kind of truth, I figure it was something like that--if he'd done any serious smack-talking about Ivy, they'd have shown it on TV--after all, they _did_ show him badmouthing Gretchen's outfit for revealing sideboob.)

Did PR production staff plant the rumor themselves for drama? (I remember a previous season's contestant saying that while they didn't show it on TV, bobbins of thread kept disappearing from machines, and since it wasn't a season with any obvious villainy among contestants--and I don't think a contestant would risk getting kicked off the show for sabotage/cheating like that--I suspected it was producer interference that failed to cause the desired conflict.)

The more I look at Ivy's behavior and ego, the more I think Ivy made it up herself--either as a deliberate Mean-Girl-style plot, or deluding herself into thinking it was true the way she had the delusion that she and Gretchen belonged in the top in one of the other challenges, or the delusion that Tim's smackdown had given her an "aha moment" that was some wonderful moment of personal growth for her. Even if the rumor _did_ come from someone who was not Ivy, though, she sure as hell didn't make herself look good with the way she handled it.

I suspect I'll never know the truth, but I'm curious to know what Ivy--and other designers--will say about it.

On a different note, video (and transcript) profiling Ivy and Casanova:

Two City Residents Among Those Battling It Out On "Project Runway"

Edited by Vian, Sep 5, 2010 @ 2:10 PM.

WitsNSass

WitsNSass

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2010 @ 7:34 PM

Her work certainly hasn't impressed me. At least not as much as her personality, which has impressed me in a very negative way. She can't leave soon enough. I'd like to see her go next, even before Gretchen.

Word! Even though Gretchen has suffered a bit of a swelled head, I don't see maliciousness in Gretchen. Ivy OTOH....

is a mega bitch! She also seems hopped up on caffeine or something. She talks really fast in her talking heads, and it doesn't seem to flow quite like someone who just naturally talks fast. And for all her talk, her designs don't back up her delusions of grandeur. At least Gretchen has some talent.

BitsyGem

BitsyGem

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 7, 2010 @ 10:56 AM

I just loved that Ivy was trying to say that she's not a catty bitch in a catty, bitchy tone. Look, if you're a catty bitch, just effing own it! Maybe I missed a clue in a past episode of PR, but where exactly does her hatred of Michael C come from? Is it that he won a challenge over her? What is it?

Leesaa

Leesaa

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 9, 2010 @ 9:45 PM

I'm so pissed that Ivy was not sent home this week. Her outfit and her attitude sucked! She took no blame for her horrid fabric choices and design, and placed all the blame on Michael for his sewing ability. She needs to go!

Fukui San

Fukui San

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2010 @ 10:27 PM

Now that April won a challenge it's literally true that Ivy is the only remaining designer without a top 3 appearance.

Maka

Maka

Stalker

Posted Sep 9, 2010 @ 10:47 PM

Oh my goodness Fukui San, you're right and it's absolutely baffling to me that Ivy would have been chosen to stay over Casanova, given that fact. Plus, Casanova had a win! I just don't get it. It must be that they wanted to keep her for drama and the "good TV" aspect that her particular crazy does seem to bring. Though, she drives me up the wall so much, that I can't say I enjoy watching her in the least.

Doesn't Ivy make the same sort of washed out boring flowey outfit every single challenge? Aside from the Golden Girls short/vest outfit, which was hideous to a degree that blows my mind. Oh, and she made pants last week that gave her model camel toe. I forgot about that gem.

JediDVguy

JediDVguy

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 10, 2010 @ 12:53 AM

Why did Michael Drummond feel so compelled to throw himself on his sword for Ivy?! That outfit was inherently flawed. The design, color, and fabric were heinous enough... Did the sewing really make that much of a difference?

soymilk

soymilk

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2010 @ 7:56 AM

Well, according to Ivy, had Michael D. known how to make pants quickly, she would've had pants, which somehow would've saved the design. I'm sure she can make pants quicker than Michael D. (and probably most everyone else), but how that would've saved the boring top and blah colors, I don't know. She is so uptight and her designs take no risks.

TryDelta

TryDelta

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 10, 2010 @ 9:19 AM

Ivy is a bitch with no ideas, no talent and no integrity.

Skelley

Skelley

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2010 @ 3:46 PM

The way she sat there like a vulture, staring at Michael as he sewed was ridiculous! I'm surprised he didn't stab her in the eyes just to make her stop.

Fukui San

Fukui San

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2010 @ 3:49 PM

I would have paid money to see Ivy paired up with Zulema from season 2. "You better cry AND cut!"

Anabolina

Anabolina

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 10, 2010 @ 8:34 PM

idk, I hated the outfit, but while its an unpopular view I still like Ivy and hope she goes far

city girl heart

city girl heart

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 10, 2010 @ 11:21 PM

I still like Ivy, also!

I appreciate her her "crazy energy" - in this type of situation, I'd probably be the same way.

Mertvaya Ruka

Mertvaya Ruka

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 11, 2010 @ 7:26 PM

Inspired by the ocean. Really? What part of the ocean did she see, a dead zone with no currents and too much pollution from shampoo? Leanne nailed it with her waves collection. Ivy...not so much.

If I were Ivy I'd be hesitant to brag about having been educated at Parsons, if anything that makes her dull clothes and utter lack of ability to design or improvise seem even worse. Then again Ivy has no meaningful self-awareness.

Skelley

Skelley

Fanatic

Posted Sep 12, 2010 @ 3:52 PM

She's self-aware enough to see that she's turning into her mother. That's something, I guess.

kerendith

kerendith

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 13, 2010 @ 9:50 PM

The following quote comes from a post in the episode 7 thread. I thought it would be more appropriate to post my response here.

Ivy was the only person that allowed the potential alone of construction issues to inform her design as much, and as negatively as she did, so ultimately she is the only one responsible for that outfit's design.

I think something very close to this may explain why all of the looks she's produced on the show up to now (between episodes 7 and 8) have been boring, with the exception of the party-store challenge piece. Ivy is so focused on maintaining her high standards of craftsmanship—appropriately stay stitching and whatnot, not even making it as far as tailoring and fit—that she's dumbing down her whole aesthetic to allow herself time to... appropriately stay stitch. She has a very, very bad case of not being able to see the forest for the trees. Most designers on the show, no matter their skill level, realize pretty quickly that they're going to have to take shortcuts—basically do things wrong—in order to get a design they're happy with out onto that runway. Ivy doesn't want to do anything wrong, so she's doing everything wrong.