The Nate Berkus Show: "YOU Get a Talk Show!"

• Please log in to reply

182 replies to this topic

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Sep 2, 2010 @ 7:50 PM

Been seeing ads for this, so I figure it needs a thread. From the press release:

When "The Nate Berkus Show" premieres Monday, September 13th (check local listings), viewers will have a new place they can call home, literally and figuratively, weekdays this fall.

The author, designer and regular contributor to "The Oprah Winfrey Show," brings a whole new point-of-view to daytime with a show that will help viewers love the life they live. From amazing and life-changing transformations to the best solutions to life's dilemmas from trusted experts, and from blow-your-mind before and afters to inspiring stories of finding the courage to follow your dreams, "The Nate Berkus Show" will offer help, and heart, for viewers at home.

Berkus said: "My whole life has been a conversation with women, so I wanted to create a show that reflects their lives and gives them something meaningful each day. This is an hour of television that's time well spent; if a viewer gives me her time, she'll get something in return that will make a difference in her life. We will laugh, create, transform, inspire, uplift each other and have a lot of fun each and every day."

Co-produced by Harpo Studios and Sony Pictures Television, and taped before an audience at CBS Studios in New York City, the all-new syndicated show promises to delight and entertain audiences with creative ideas, lots of takeaway information, and a style all its own.

More info at the link.
Eh, I don't really plan on watching, I'm not that familiar with him.

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2010 @ 7:54 PM

Does this mean we have to call Oprah's boy child Dr Nate or Dr Berkus ?

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted Sep 2, 2010 @ 8:07 PM

Does this mean we have to call Oprah's boy child Dr Nate or Dr Berkus ?

Well going by his own statement?:

Berkus said: "My whole life has been a conversation with women, so I wanted to create a show that reflects their lives and gives them something meaningful each day. This is an hour of television that's time well spent; if a viewer gives me her time, she'll get something in return that will make a difference in her life. We will laugh, create, transform, inspire, uplift each other and have a lot of fun each and every day."

I think he wants to be called the vagina whisperer. And as a gay man who has never found the human Q-Tip from Whoville even remotely attractive, I have to say that the comment not only annoys, but also seems to indicate he is the worst lover ever if he brings a conversation with women into the bedroom.

grainofsalt

grainofsalt

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 2, 2010 @ 8:46 PM

I was going to watch his show since I love HGTV and thought it would be more of the same but after reading that quote, I think I will pass.

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2010 @ 10:09 PM

Does anyone who's ever been a re-occurring guest on Oprah get their own show? ALL of them?

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Sep 2, 2010 @ 10:47 PM

I was going to watch his show since I love HGTV and thought it would be more of the same but after reading that quote, I think I will pass.

When I first heard he was getting a show, I thought it would be interior design-related, but I wondered how that would translate into a talk show format. Now it looks like the show has little (to nothing) to do with Nate himself. I mean, from the description it could be almost anyone as host.

Does anyone who's ever been a re-occurring guest on Oprah get their own show? ALL of them?

Hence the subtitle. :)

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2010 @ 9:12 AM

'I think he wants to be called the vagina whisperer.'

That would be the 'vaj jay jay' whisperer !

ish

ish

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2010 @ 11:11 AM

I think he wants to be called the vagina whisperer

The last thing I need is someone whispering to my vagina.

Haleth

Haleth

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2010 @ 3:08 PM

I've found that Oprah's proteges are more interesting in small doses... Dr Phil, Dr Oz... On a daily basis their enormous egos crush the entertainment value for me and I find their shows more annoying than instructive. I have a feeling that it will be the same for Nate (bless his heart).

Morbs

Morbs

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2010 @ 3:26 PM

I've never thought of Nate as a very dynamic personality and Oprah's inexplicable episodes last year were Nate did things like take middle aged women to proms or whatever didn't sell me on him either. He'd probably fit better with a half hour redecorating show than this apparent "Life Coach Nate!" idea.

ish

ish

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2010 @ 4:12 PM

Nate is better suited to come to your house and watch the kids while you go out to get a haircut and wax.

When you get home he's rearranged and decluttered the house and the kids have created some new artwork for the walls.

AngelaHunter44

AngelaHunter44

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2010 @ 4:36 PM

That would be the 'vaj jay jay' whisperer

I think that's what caused me to be finally and permanently disgusted with Oprah - listening to a woman her age saying "Va Jay Jay" while an audience of adults tittered and giggled like eight year olds hearing a peepee joke. Ew.

I find Oprah's proteges to be uniformly intolerable and that includes Nate with his carefully cultivated crop of whiskers.

carmelized

carmelized

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2010 @ 9:32 PM

I've found that Oprah's proteges are more interesting in small doses... Dr Phil, Dr Oz... On a daily basis their enormous egos crush the entertainment value for me and I find their shows more annoying than instructive. I have a feeling that it will be the same for Nate (bless his heart).

I find them a mixed bag. I stopped watching Dr. Phil years ago, but don't doubt that his ego is enormous. Dr. Oz, on the other hand, is great, IMO. I find his show very interesting and his enthusiasm is endearing. He gives out a lot of good information, and he's pretty game to do a lot of things. Dr. Oz's ego seems pretty well in control, to me.

I have always liked Nate, so I'm willing to give his show a shot.

This public relations statement doesn't bother me. Most PR statements sound a little over-the-top. How well the show will work remains to be seen, but he seems to like genuinely like people, and loves helping them, and that goes a long way with me as far as talk-show hosts are concerned.

raceguy120390

raceguy120390

Fanatic

Posted Sep 6, 2010 @ 1:19 PM

The last thing I need is someone whispering to my vagina.

Don't worry. Oprah's probably been all "YOU get a megaphone! YOU get a megaphone!" at some point with her proteges.

oklirp

oklirp

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 7, 2010 @ 10:14 AM

I'm just not grasping the concept of this show. It has to be about more than decorating, otherwise it will seem like just another ripoff of HGTV. Yet the notion of Nate as "vagina whisperer" isn't exactly something that sparks my interest.

Apparently he's going to bring on Elizabeth Edwards to discuss her passion for home furnishings. Huh? Is he going to talk window treatments with Elin Nordegren?

Al Funcoot

Al Funcoot

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2010 @ 1:07 AM

That sounds like an attempt to duplicate Rachael Ray's show with a different discipline. Rachael brings on people to cook with her (something Martha was already doing) while Nate, presumably, will mix decorating with the interviews. I'm not sure if that will work, but hopefully they've been doing test episodes to figure that out.

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted Sep 9, 2010 @ 3:49 PM

Apparently he's going to bring on Elizabeth Edwards to discuss her passion for home furnishings. Huh? Is he going to talk window treatments with Elin Nordegren?

Then he can have Mel Gibson's ex-mistress on to learn to put up dry wall and spackle. He can work through her anger and fear by having her use a nail gun while playing the recording's of Gibson's rants.

I think the idea of him guesting some celebrity to talk chintz and their latest project is even weaker than the press release that, while so obviously dancing around the issue of his sexuality even while *wink*wink*-ing that he makes the perfect gal pal with a penis because he is gay. Just my luck. Another homo's just want to help girls have fun slant. Probably airs in my market the same week that I'm trying to make sure I make the best pick-up team for the fall football season in the park. Can't wait to hear the jokes about how I'd rather be helping the women in their lives pick out curtains and what throw pillow would go best with that chair as I pull my face out of the mud!

Then again, I Dr. $chill approach probably is even more silly than the Rachel Ray paradigm. "Show me on the Sherwin Williams (Proud Sponsor of the Nate Berkus Show!) interior color gloss chart where your father touched you when you were twelve Marjorie".

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2010 @ 5:26 PM

While channel surfing earlier today, I landed on this show during the 'Help Nate Choose Eyewear" and it seemed like all the eye glasses were very similar. He obviously is leaning towards the chic geek look.

However, it appeared the majority of the audience didn't care for any of his selections.

So contact lenses it will be.

grainofsalt

grainofsalt

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 14, 2010 @ 6:08 PM

And to think that Bonnie Hunt's show has been replaced by this in my local market.

Travesty.

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2010 @ 7:28 PM

I think Nate works better in small doses. On Oprah he did short little segments and then a big reveal. Now, a whole hour of him is way too much. He isn't horrible, but a whole hour of him is more than I need. Just show me a fast make over and call it a day. Also, I don't care for his (I just got out of bed, but I look cooler when I don't shave and look like I haven't showered either) stuff. Maybe, I'm hating too much. Anyone else feel this way?

sharmally

sharmally

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 14, 2010 @ 8:15 PM

Anyone else feel this way?

This is how I feel about this show.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

maggie010

maggie010

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2010 @ 8:37 PM

I'm enjoying the show so far. Comes on at 5pm in my area (which isn't ideal for many folks although works for me) and I can putter with half an ear. I thought today was interesting with the whole dining room for $650. And I like watching people that are genuinely happy and passionate about what they do and the people they meet. Would love to know more about the internet site he had on yesterday that showed how to design a room.

For me he sure beats out Phil and Rachel Ray and even O herself. But then I like HGTV and things like that.

RudyRayMoore

RudyRayMoore

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2010 @ 10:18 PM

I was feeling undecided on Nate's new show. The audience's hysterical screaming when they see him at the beginning was putting me off. (Even if he is The Cuteness, which I'll admit.)

But then today's show, with that poor man from Kentucky whose wife died in childbirth, leaving two babies, two older sons and an unfinished nursery? I started bawling ten minutes in and cried all the way through Dolly Parton's performance. The dad (Butch?) was so appreciative, despite what he'd been through. And watching Nate cry right along with me made me a fan. He did a good thing, and seemed to look on the show as a way to do more good things. So, well played, Nate.

Poetist

Poetist

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2010 @ 4:09 AM

Elizabeth has a furniture store, so it makes sense to invite her on the show to discuss home furnishing.

gabbyghoul

gabbyghoul

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2010 @ 3:31 PM

I think the idea of him guesting some celebrity to talk chintz and their latest project is even weaker than the press release that, while so obviously dancing around the issue of his sexuality even while *wink*wink*-ing that he makes the perfect gal pal with a penis because he is gay. Just my luck. Another homo's just want to help girls have fun slant.

He has consistently been openly gay and private about his off-screen life. After the horrible death of his partner, he willingly spoke about their last moments on the Oprah show. I don't know what you could possibly expect of this man who has always presented himself as himself.

And it's an afternoon talk show. Headed by a decorator. Who made his name on Oprah. Who, exactly, do you think his natural audience would be? And just what's wrong with him wanting to help "girls have fun"? If someone's prejudices or ignorance lead them to think that all homosexual gentlemen are good for is to be a "perfect galpal with a penis", I don't see what he's supposed to do to change their minds.

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted Sep 17, 2010 @ 12:34 PM

He has consistently been openly gay and private about his off-screen life. After the horrible death of his partner, he willingly spoke about their last moments on the Oprah show. I don't know what you could possibly expect of this man who has always presented himself as himself.

I can expect someone to not pass himself off as somehow having an inexplicable tie to the mystique feminine that allows him to go from q-tip bobbleheaded designer to the stars to emotional talk show guru. I have incredibly low standards though. If he was presenting himself as himself, he'd not be on television I suspect. though again. that is my low standards talking.

If someone's prejudices or ignorance lead them to think that all homosexual gentlemen are good for is to be a "perfect galpal with a penis", I don't see what he's supposed to do to change their minds.

How about not take advantage of that same stereotype, even if just as a PR move that had him approve the copy? I hope I'm allowed to air my disappointment on that level as a gay man who is tired of other gay men actually, even if just being a lazy famewhore fuck, taking advantage in a way that does help perpetuate that no matter how many people will adhere to it even if he didn't?

SanDiegoInExile

SanDiegoInExile

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 18, 2010 @ 4:00 AM

The audience needs to chill somewhat. They are way too over-excited and it really detracts from what could be a decent show.

gabbyghoul

gabbyghoul

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2010 @ 9:30 PM

I hope I'm allowed to air my disappointment on that level as a gay man who is tired of other gay men actually, even if just being a lazy famewhore fuck, taking advantage in a way that does help perpetuate that no matter how many people will adhere to it even if he didn't?

Well, of course you are, I hope I didn't suggest otherwise in my comment. But I simply don't see how Berkus is taking advantage of anything. But your mileage may vary.

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2010 @ 10:26 PM

Really like Elizabeth Edward's home. Loved the decor and felt is was very warm in a cozy way.

Dancin Queen

Dancin Queen

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 19, 2010 @ 2:11 AM

The concept of this show is so lost on my affiliate, they are airing it at 1AM! zzzzzzzzzzzzz