Hawaii Five-0 (2010): Get Your Shave Ice Here

• Please log in to reply

10096 replies to this topic

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 2:15 PM

Also, can someone explain why they must take a ship  to Shanghai? 

It must be a ship to get around the armed TSA agents of H50. Shanghai because that is where tramp frieghters go to that "dead" CIA agents have contacts with.

The long lost family member who was thought to be dead comes back to life after having been living undercover for decades, that was Air Wolf's story

Jeneral28

Jeneral28

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 2:21 PM

Thanks taiko

But as if a ship is more  secure than a plane. Easily sunk or captured by pirates.

HurricaneVal

HurricaneVal

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 2:27 PM

I liked the very tense scene between Steve and his mom.  I notice he went back to calling her "Doris" so you know he's pissed off at her.  Of course we weren't destined to get any resolution on that, but I liked that he had the confrontation and she now realizes that he's totally on to her.

When Michael burst into the crime lab, I was starting to think that Charlie was a baddie...  Poor Charlie.  Loses Kono to Adam, and now gets stabbed because of her.

Loved the Hannibal Lector/Magneto prison cell for Wo Fat.  Even all scarred up, Wo Fat is menacing, yet cuddlier this time around.  Probably because he needed Steve.

Jeneral28

Jeneral28

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 2:36 PM

Loved the Hannibal Lector/Magneto prison cell for Wo Fat.

I say even Lector and Mageneto go far more secure prison cells than Wo Fatt.

Trey

Trey

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 3:22 PM

Poor Charlie.  Loses Kono to Adam, and now gets stabbed because of her.

I know...when she mumbled 'It's all my fault" I had to say 'yes, Kono, it is all your fault'.

Jeneral28

Jeneral28

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 3:23 PM

Max doesnt appear in the goodbye scene. Wonder why?

liz26111

liz26111

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 3:55 PM

I am ok with Kono leaving with Adam. I really want both back next season. Am thinking that Steve and gang will take care of Michael's men and they will be allowed back.

When Kono was asking for a favor from Charlie with Adam in the background Charlie looked so sad that he lost the girl. Either she is clueless about his feelings or takes advantage of it.

Jeneral28

Jeneral28

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 4:03 PM

I wonder if there will ever be a season finale where Kono doesnt gets mixed up with an evil party. So far they have written that in  each finale.

BungalowSummer

BungalowSummer

Video Archivist

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 6:26 PM

De-lurking to say that the finale was a mess. I find it so disappointing because I'd really like to see this show survive and it won't if the writers persist in making the characters do stupid things. Details matter in a police procedural. Yes, I know, Five-0 is not real police, but at this point any tv audience knows there are rules for collecting admissible evidence. I'm looking at you, Kono. An audience knows that in any police jurisdiction in the world, Steve and Danny would have been suspended immediately for that idiotic car chase in the opening for reckless endangerment of the public.

Wo Fat would have not been allowed hot and cold running visitors and if so, Steve should have been alerted to every visitor he got. Surprise Doris visits would not exist. Wo Fat would not have information about anyone, let alone who and when, would be about to stage a massive break-in to kill him.

In any semi-real context, there's no way Steve would have not taken the extra few minutes to get Doris' latest string of lies, accompanied by her hot, salty tears. Oh, I do dislike that character and the alternating mulish scowls and wretched weeping. Please, get rid of her, already. If, as it seems, her big secret is that she's Wo Fat's mama, we can count two sons that she's screwed up.

If Kono doesn't return, I will probably stop watching on any regular basis. Ian Anthony Dale is gorgeous but he's wasted on this show. Kono looks good with Adam, but I never once got the feeling that their love affair is more than a plot point. I couldn't care less about Danny's love-life and I don't even care about Grace. Steve's relationship with Catherine is a big yawn. She's just there to provide intel that would be difficult to obtain otherwise. If Commodore Dress-Whites shows up next season to make a lame love triangle, I'll care even less.

Ultimately, it boils down to this: Every time the show steps outside the core group of Steve, Danny, Chin Ho and Kono to get into friends and family (one exception: Kamekona), the writers screw it up. They make their marquee characters stupid and unlikeable. They introduce poorly thought-out relatives, lovers, adversaries and blasts from the past. All those outside people are there for is to be put in jeopardy and for manufacturing angst and melodrama. They make their stars repeatedly forsake duty, training and common sense for emotional reasons that aren't adequately explained.

Now we've got this dumb cliff-hanger and it doesn't make me impatient to see next season's opener. I'm actually dreading it. That is not the way to win viewers and ratings.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 8:13 PM

Poor Fong.  That is my first thought.  He's got no chance with Kono, she's thrown her lot in with the bad boy forever.  And nowFonge got himself stabbed because of Kono's relationship with her Yakuza boyfriend.  Now Kono's gone...Fong never had a chance.  Poor bastard.

I actually did like the finale and it managed to address a lot of storylines.  I do enjoy the Wo Fat character and the Two Face thing is pretty cool.  Steve should just pop him in the head though.

The entire HPD out for Kono was ridiculous, as was Steve and Danny not being arrested for the dangerous chase/destroying evidence/helping a suspect escape.

I called Wo Fat being Steve's half-sibling after the season finale.  It annoys me that it wasn't addressed and that the door has been left open for Doris's return.  I think Christine Lahti has been cast for the Beverly Hills Cop series and hopefully she stays there.  The Shelburn/Mama McGarrett storyline has dragged this show down like an anchor for the past two seasons.  They need to put it behind them, especially considering they are moving to a new timeslot that's not exactly great to TV shows.

Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 8:57 PM

Getting on a plane has too many checkpoints and security cameras. Smuggling someone into another country by ship is a lot easier, and they can be dropped off a few miles offshore and come in under cover of darkness. Doris is the one who will stand out in China.

Jeez, why not keep Wo Fatt in space?

When Steve was walking down the hallway and then into the cell I was reminded of X-Men 2 and the plexiglass containment system they were using for Magneto.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 9:04 PM

I think Christine Lahti has been cast for the Beverly Hills Cop series and hopefully she stays there

That pilot didnt get picked up.

Is there any reason to believe Grace is actually living the show and this is just your typical cliff hanger that will be wrapped up early in next season?

Edited by biakbiak, May 21, 2013 @ 9:04 PM.

greyhorse

greyhorse

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2013 @ 1:37 AM

I too am tired of Christine Lahti.  Her character is completely one-note and the reason why we never get any answers to her mysterious machinations and Wo-Fat riddles is that if the writers do ever reveal them to us, then she'll serve no purpose and have no reason to be on the show.

If Steve's father somehow is still alive and surfaces next year, then that's when this show really will have jumped the shark.

We'll have to see what the real story behind Grace Park leaving the show is.  Convenient for her to leave and to take the whole Yakuza storyline with her.

I must have missed a few episodes.  Who is Autumn Reeser?  Was she Danny's museum girlfriend?  Did she leave and now decided to come back?  I don't remember her much at all.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2013 @ 1:43 AM

I must have missed a few episodes.  Who is Autumn Reeser?  Was she Danny's museum girlfriend?  Did she leave and now decided to come back?  I don't remember her much at all.

Yeah, she was Danny's museum girlfriend.  She was gone at the beginning of the season because Autumn Reeser was doing another show in the fall (Last Resort), but I don't know why it took them so long to bring her back, since the show was canceled before 2013.  Actually, I suspect it's because they really don't give a damn about establishing relationships on this show, unless it suits whatever plot they are dealing with.  Sort of like how they want me to buy Adam/Kono as some kind of epic love story, when I feel like I barely know anything about their relationship.  Hell, even Chin/Malia was under-developed; Daniel Dae Kim and his awesome acting skills are the only reason I feel something for Chin after what happened.

Seriously, there are quite a few problems with this show, but romantic relationships have to be the worst.  I don't think I've liked any of them.  Steve/Catherine are all over the place.  I actually liked Danny/Rachel at first, until they fucked that all up.  Won't even touch on the epic fail of Steve, Lori, and her non-stop doe-eyes in his direction.  I guess I can give the show credit for at least ending that before it even started.

RocketFuel

RocketFuel

Channel Surfer

Posted May 22, 2013 @ 1:53 AM

Max doesn't appear in the goodbye scene. Wonder why?

I like to think he stayed by poor broken-hearted Charlie's bedside. 

I really hope Kono comes back next season, I'll miss the arc of her developing as a cop and the bond Chin has with her.  Promoting Catherine to 5-0 (who as you guys said is enjoyable as an auxiliary character) is just going to add to the Steve Show.  She better bring Ian Anthony Dale with her too.  Too bad Daniel Henney punched his ticket, maybe the Nishimuras have more purdy siblings hanging out in Hawaii.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2013 @ 4:12 AM

This is from H50's official Facebook page:

Did everyone enjoy the final episode of Hawaii five-0 last night, we did! What will you do on your Monday night now? [Emphasis mine.]

I am surprised that whoever handles social media for this show would put something so... what? Doomish? Out there on a fan page. When I read it, I thought, Oh well, if it turns out to be the series finale, no big loss.

And S1, I wouldn't miss this show for anything.

Jeneral28

Jeneral28

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2013 @ 4:57 AM

Is it me or is Kono the only main female character not to be directly attached (not intimate relationship) way with McGarrett?

Jenna--CIA/Wo Fatt ally--McGarrett was central to her existence as a character as all along

Mary Ann--sister. All sister stuff all related to McGarrett.

Doris--no episode without her and McGarett fuelling tension

Lori--always her and McGarrett. Attraction too.

and of course Catherine Rollins--the magical LT who can use military equipment to help her bf everytime. No court-martial, not reprimanding. Instead, she's rewarded with a nice screw or dinner or breakfast

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2013 @ 7:33 AM

I hope Catherine does hook up with that old boyfriend.  It would treat Steve right with the way he treats her.  Steve will likely have the guy arrested and interrogated.

Jeneral28

Jeneral28

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2013 @ 7:42 AM

I hope Catherine does hook up with that old boyfriend.  It would treat Steve right with the way he treats her.  Steve will likely have the guy arrested and interrogated.

Both guys are similar--LTCR, Navy SEAL and both out of active duty. Either she's gunning for more meails in exhcange for military intel or its a silly love tension. 

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2013 @ 10:22 AM

I am surprised that whoever handles social media for this show would put something so... what? Doomish? Out there on a fan page.

It's like they are trying to kill the show. The mismanagement has been amazing. They had a hit in S1 and have not only dismantled it, but when that failed, they kept doubling down on the failures instead of going back to the formula that made it popular to start with. And now they're acting like they are actively trying to convince fans not to watch next year!

Edited by possibilities, May 22, 2013 @ 10:24 AM.

BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2013 @ 2:16 PM

This is from H50's official Facebook page:

I am surprised that whoever handles social media for this show would put something so... what? Doomish? Out there on a fan page. When I read it, I thought, Oh well, if it turns out to be the series finale, no big loss.

And S1, I wouldn't miss this show for anything.

You mean the Facebook page with the address ending in HawaiiFive0CBS? If so, I follow that page as well & it looks like they've pulled that post or corrected the wording. I'm seeing plenty of posts--around 3 or so--promoting/otherwise mentioning the S3 Finale, but none implies/states that it's the Series Finale. And I've looked everywhere I can see for posts on their page.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2013 @ 4:52 PM

BW Manilowe, yes that Facebook page. I just checked for myself, and yep, they have pulled it. I should have done a screen shot.

The FB post I quoted was written and posted after the season finale aired.

webruce

webruce

Video Archivist

Posted May 22, 2013 @ 5:09 PM

I liked it mostly. Did the cutting torch gang take out all the soldiers in the hall outside WoFats pen? Or was it tear gas? Steve will help WoFat escape. But I wonder if they are his men? Doris I bet is his mother. her going over seas will prolong Steve's anguish over what WoFat has on her. Doris like Kono may stay away for several episodes. Doris could easily be captured. Wo Fat being on her boat is intriguing. In the Michael/Adam/Kono story line they should have worked it more between seeing Michael putting back Kono's gun and last weeks finding it was used to kill that guy. That way if he was to die in a struggle with Adam it would be more dramatic. This time he should have wounded Adam maybe and fled. Or vice versa.

The story with the 5 dead agents and Rafael Salgado(liked him on The Unit) and his son was good. He plays that "wronged" bad guy good. Catherine and her ex could cause some waves. But it will probably turn out he is bad and 5-0 will have to bring him down. So over all it was good, to me.

If our comments and tweets influence the writers which is cool. Then maybe this Summer the writers will be watching and wondering what we think on the Kono/Adam, Catherine/Steve/Billy, Chin/Leilani, Danny/Gabby, Steve/Doris/WoFat/mystery bad guys story lines.

Maybe the reason they brought in ex bf, Lt. Commander William 'Billy' Harrington(was on Night Rider). Maybe they will watch our feedback this summer and decide, if he does more then sees Catherine. He could become a nuisance, or they could go out a few times and make Steve jealous and he "fights" for her. Or she could go date him and it takes Steve a while to see what he lost. Or and I hope not, Billy could be the start of a ark where he turns out to be bad.

Now the WoFat/Doris story seems it will be stretched out more with her over seas and WoFat escaped with Steve's help. This could give them time as you say to fabricate the next step. But if she was gone 20 years, she would have had to have been WoFat Sr.'s lover at least 12 years before that to have her be WoFats mommy. Also she said she killed WoFat Sr. Did she literally pull the trigger, or did she do something that set him up either to have the under world or Police take him out by her error. Maybe not killing WoFat at the house was her way of paying him back, but he didn't kill her either, so there is something there. Going to visit him at the Prison is interesting. And unless the CIA got her special visitor rights, I don't believe realistically she could get in. Did all the information get found out from the Champ box? And why hasn't Steve questioned Joe White more about his Mom's missing years?

The team breaking in to the prison to get WoFat could be his own, but could be the NLM Terrorists? We got a lot of information on them to not just let them disappear. Like on NCIS and LA, these enemies come back. Not sure the Yakuza has that power to get in. But they were after WoFat in the past when Steve helped him fight them. But WoFat being dropped off at Doris's slow boat to Shanghai by Kamekona's helicopter could happen.

The previews said that the 4 would become 3. I bet like me you thought, "No they can't kill one off!" But if Kono is pregnant, they probably will keep her "Over Seas" for a few months. We will probably hear that Micheal's men will be after them. Maybe have the crime rate by the Yakaza go up with the unrest in leadership. Kono's pregnancy could be written into the story as her and Adam are close. But as "Numb3rs" and "The Mentalist" to name 2 tried to hide the fact of pregnancy with them always working behind a desk or wall, or computer, eventually you can tell. Another I bet not popular idea as her "temp replacement" is to bring back Lori Weston. But with her on "Chicago Fire" It won't happen. Maybe Duke can move up like he did on the original series.

They should have shown more concern for Fong. But as someone stated, maybe because of the case they will feel it later. If Kono and Adam have a strong bond, then Fong will have to watch from afar.
 Nice to see Danny with Gabby. Hope it doesn't move to fast. Danny's ex should also be back in it and Gracie should have some problems. Chin and Leiani was a good thing him calling her. That also should move slow, but more then it has. He should think back still to Malia.

Danny kicking Rafael Salgado against the car was good. But Danny should be the more by the book guy that he was in S01, and S02. But like Horatio Caine on "CSI:MIAMI", he does have a child soft spot. Steve can be the normal hot head.

Hopefully the Friday move won't kill it.

Jeneral28

Jeneral28

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2013 @ 5:23 PM

It's a full of holes plot....season 1's finale was the best.

yarnover

yarnover

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2013 @ 8:06 PM

I’m glad they waited the whole season before letting Chin get involved with someone new. (I have a soft spot in my heart for Chin, so I want him to be happy).

I’m a little over Wo Fat, but I thought he was entertaining in this ep (“I burn easily” ha!)

I hope Kono isn't gone for good. Her goodbye with Chin made me realize how much I like their relationship.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2013 @ 8:10 PM

The FB post I quoted was written and posted after the season finale aired.

And after it had already been renewed for next season, I imagine it was just mistake.

Jeneral28

Jeneral28

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2013 @ 3:19 AM

I think Chin is  better off single  for a longer while, but we'll see how he goes with the nurse

cosmom

cosmom

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2013 @ 5:54 AM

Hell, even Chin/Malia was under-developed; Daniel Dae Kim and his awesome acting skills are the only reason I feel something for Chin after what happened.

Agreed.  Despite the fact that I was never given enough scenes to care about Chin & Malia, him breaking down after pulling out over done chicken from the oven drove home that he was heartbroken and broke my icy heart by proxy.  But, given how horrendous they do handle the relationships they do show, it probably is a blessing that Chin/Malia were not shown a whole lot.

Jeneral28

Jeneral28

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2013 @ 5:56 AM

I say the Danny-Rachel relationship then tension was pretty well played out

NYC2007

NYC2007

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2013 @ 8:04 AM

I say the Danny-Rachel relationship then tension was pretty well played out

I felt with that relationship it just went from zero to sixty in two minutes.  There was angst and then she was pregnant and they were going to be together.  I didn't think they showed us the natural progression of the relationship. 

I like to think it's because they want to focus on the case of the week, but I just don't think they do enough to build the relationships. 

Even with Bori.  The first episode we meet her, she and Steve are flirting and then they go the entire season before they acknowledge that she likes him.  Just strange.