Hawaii Five-0 (2010): Get Your Shave Ice Here

• Please log in to reply

10080 replies to this topic

threebluestars

threebluestars

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 12:15 PM

I really wish that Steve had been totally, utterly wrong about who did it. I would have loved to have seen him realize he completely misjudged someone. I think it was a real missed opportunity.

BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe

Fanatic

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 12:17 PM

When it comes to Steve believing Dr. Victor was the murderer, I had no problem with that.

Part of it was due to the fact that she wouldn't answer any of his questions, instead she deflected them & shot back with her own comments about Steve, which she apparenlty picked up through non-verbal cues/body language... about how she thought Steve had "Mommy Issues", "Daddy Issues" &/or "Parental Abandonment" issues--maybe all 3. Stuff which pushed his buttons, as it were, & which he apparently either compartmentalized, emotionally, for a long time or which he didn't even realize he had--unlike Mary, who openly told Cath in S1's Nalowale that she had "Daddy Issues".

Also, Dr. Victor was washing/attempting to wash evidence off of her car as Steve & Kono arrived--but Steve noticed a sugar cane stalk in her wheel well which she hadn't gotten rid of--the "vic" was tossed in a sugar cane field that was going to be burned, among other things (& he was starting to sound like Kenny in South Park [the character Cartman is constantly yelling about being killed], with the number of murder methods he had done to him in the act of killing him).

Thirdly, Dr. Victor obviously used "non-verbal cues/body language" to throw Steve off his game. I assumed he also used something similar, which he'd obviously (to me, anyway) learned in his Naval Intelligence &/or SEAL training.

As for the ease of getting the restraining order against Steve (& I also knew she was setting him up in the invite to the restaurant as well), it worked for me as well. Towards the end of the ep it was discovered that 1 of Dr. Victor's patients/Madam clients (who was still alive) was a Judge. I'm assuming she influenced him to issue/get someone else to issue the restraining order without a whole lot of hassle or having to endure the normal waiting period/procedures, etc. I also think there are such things as "Emergency" (Temporary) Restraining Orders. So, not terribly illogical in my book.

I liked the ep.

liked the updated images in the opening credits and noticed that Michelle Borth is in them now, too.

This isn't the 1st season they've had updated opening credits/cast images in them. They've updated the credits both in S2 (when they added Masi Oka to the main titles) & this season (when they added Michelle Borth, & updated some of the smaller images of the "Core 4" from those used during the 1st &/or 2nd seasons).

I really wish that Steve had been totally, utterly wrong about who did it. I would have loved to have seen him realize he completely misjudged someone. I think it was a real missed opportunity.

The only thing about that is, Steve's the "hero" of the show. They can't really make the "hero" look bad that often, if at all. So Steve had to be right (my opinion).

Edited by BW Manilowe, Nov 29, 2012 @ 12:24 PM.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 12:41 PM

The only thing about that is, Steve's the "hero" of the show. They can't really make the "hero" look bad that often, if at all. So Steve had to be right (my opinion).

I disagree; being wrong every so often makes him more rootable, IMO. At least it gives a tiny bit of suspense to the CoW. I've basically stopped watching the show because I can't bear to see him yet again smug his way to another arrest.

Mars477

Mars477

Fanatic

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 12:56 PM

I dunno about this. Many far superior shows have emphasized the imperfection of their main characters to various degrees of success. Battlestar Galactica seemed to take a sense of joy out of highlighting the shades of grey (and outright black) in its characters. Likewise, LOST basically spent five seasons tearing Jack down to build him back up in the last.

Steve being wrong about a suspect isn't even a character flaw. It's just him being wrong. And everybody needs to be wrong on occasion, IMO, because otherwise they would be perfect, and thus inhuman.

So yeah, I would have liked it if Steve (and the others) completely fucked up once in a while. Not necessarily the entire team all at once, so by the end of the episode they can still score a win (by the power of TEAMWORK!!! I kid I kid). But everybody has a bad day eventually. Willful character flaws plotted by the writers are preferable to accidental character flaws due to the writing sucking, IMO.

Edited by Mars477, Nov 29, 2012 @ 1:07 PM.

Codger

Codger

Stalker

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 1:19 PM

Except Battlestar is a good example of where they tore down the characters so much, it was nearly impossible to root for any of them except Helo and, in the end, Caprica Six. It's not so good when you spend the episodes hoping every single character gets punched in the face at some point, including Madame Airlock.

hreesa

hreesa

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 1:45 PM

Steve's imperfection in this show is in letting the therapist get to him.

there was an episode in season 1 where Steve did not realize his Seal friend was corrupt.
Anyway, I liked the way this show played out. The therapist was annoying me too so I could understand
Steve's frustration with her.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 4:34 PM

Steve McGarrett has always been played like he's a superhero, not a cop. He pulls crazy stunts, ignores all procedure, and always saves the day. Steve being wrong is like Superman being wrong, not like anyone else on the team making a mistake. He might be misled by others, but when he goes from his superhero hunches, he is right.

The other cops are badass at times, but they are more used as human back up, the special support team for SuperSteve. They are functionaries, not the driving force behind the team.

I really think this show is much better as a superhero cartoon than it is when it tries to be a regular cop show.

I like it when the other characters take more leading roles and the show acts like an ensemble. But when Steve is on about something, he is the wildcard who will close the case when there's no normal way to do it.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Nov 29, 2012 @ 6:00 PM

Except Battlestar is a good example of where they tore down the characters so much, it was nearly impossible to root for any of them

BSG could definitely go overboard with this. They really seemed to push the characters flaws very, very hard at times. I always said if there were 10 horrible things that could happen in a person's life, the characters there had at least seven of them.

Steve (and even Danny) haven't looked all that great this season. Old people seem to easily win battle of wits against them, especially in the short term. They're inability to find the right killer in time has gotten some people killed, like that cop who managed to get killed with his old gun by old Lee Merriweather. Or however you spell her last name. Or Steve and Danny's completely clueless realization that that young hacker might have had other enemies. Not to mention the team constantly arrests the wrong suspects before getting the right ones.

I think it's just the attitude that bothers me about McGarrett the most. The whole blanket immunity card drove me nuts. Somehow, the Governor of Hawaii giving you blanket immunity meant you could circumvent early law and even order around the FBI. And damn if McGarrett didn't look annoying smug when throwing that around.

hreesa

hreesa

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 30, 2012 @ 1:07 PM

Steve is a Navy Seal, so he is supposed to be better than a cop. However he let the bad person unnerve him and he is clueless about his Mom. I think this episode showed his more vulnerable side not "perfect Steve".

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Nov 30, 2012 @ 2:12 PM

That was always Steve's problem he actually thinks he is better, because he is more likely to hit what he shoots at, not that he went on a different path

Arnold Robinson

Arnold Robinson

Fanatic

Posted Nov 30, 2012 @ 4:17 PM

Trying to watch Steve act like a real cop is laughable. Him lecturing Danny about police procedures too.

I couldn't agree more. I wish the writers would remember that Danny is allegedly a career police office, and so's Chin. They should be taking the investigative lead, because they have the most training and experience in that kind of thing.
The whole thing with the restraining order was pretty asinine, too. How could Steve not see that that was a trap at the cafe? Duke should have arrested him for aggravated stupidity in the 1st degree.

Mars477

Mars477

Fanatic

Posted Nov 30, 2012 @ 6:39 PM

Steve is a Navy Seal, so he is supposed to be better than a cop.

Is this an objective statement, or a representation of what Steve thinks of himself? Because if it's the former, then I disagree. Billy the MP would make a better cop than Steve, because Billy the MP would actually be a cop. If it's a statement of Steve's on sense of self-importance, I really never got the impression that he thought he was "OMGerd Super SEAL".

I couldn't agree more. I wish the writers would remember that Danny is allegedly a career police office, and so's Chin. They should be taking the investigative lead, because they have the most training and experience in that kind of thing.

Heh, yeah, this.

Is Kono ever going to be more than "Officer Kalakaua"? Steve gets off active Navy and immediately gets put in charge of a civilian police task force, of all things. Poor Kono is still a rookie officer.

BSG could definitely go overboard with this. They really seemed to push the characters flaws very, very hard at times. I always said if there were 10 horrible things that could happen in a person's life, the characters there had at least seven of them.

I understand the sentiment, although I disagree. But my point still stands: >0 (plotted) character flaws is better than none.

I think it's a real bad idea that Catherine agreed to keep Doris' secret. When Steve finds out, he's gonna be really pissed!

She agreed not to tell Steve, but, she never said anything about not telling Danny, Chin or Kono.

Or her bosses at the Office of Naval Intelligence *crosses fingers*.

Edited by Mars477, Nov 30, 2012 @ 7:22 PM.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Nov 30, 2012 @ 9:44 PM

I really never got the impression that he thought he was "OMGerd Super SEAL".

Just at the very beginning where he took the governor up on her personal offer and took his father's crime scene away from Detective Williams

freebie

freebie

Fanatic

Posted Nov 30, 2012 @ 11:03 PM

There's a small snippet in the most recent TV Guide (covering the holiday shows) that indicates Rumer Willis will guest start on an upcoming episode (I think the one with the Victoria's Secret model). I didn't notice Rumer in the preview, so perhaps the poster upthread who was talking about Rumer being a guest star saw a different preview or maybe just expected Rumer to be in this most recent episode and mistook Michelle Borth for her. Anyway, interesting casting. Maybe Rumer's presence will counteract the super model's "acting." On my wish list for this show: (1) no stunt casting, (2) no tie-ins to other CBS programming, and (3) no more mid-show commercials.

delta25

delta25

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 1, 2012 @ 11:02 AM

Steve has more training than all the team combined so its nice to see him put that training into action. Steve has always been persistent and won't let anyone get in the way of him trying to get to the truth. His gut instinct is good enough for me and I'd much rather see him act on it than do nothing like Danny. Maybe if the writers ever wrote Danny acting like a cop I'd have more faith in him. But he does nothing but mock Steve while doing nothing himself. Thats why Steve heads the team and not Danny. I've no interest in seeing Steve act dumb. He's a Navy SEAL and an Intelligence officer and going after a suspect/target is what he's trained to do. It's his job to find the evidence. If that evidence proves the suspect innocent then fine, but I'd rather he goes with his gut instinct than just give up because the evidence is not handed to him on a plate. The shrink's story was lame from the start so I'd no problem with Steve seeing her as a suspect.

Stepoff

Stepoff

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 1, 2012 @ 3:01 PM

Rumer looks more like a love interest for Max, kind of cute scene.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/430580

SoManyWays

SoManyWays

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 1, 2012 @ 5:58 PM

Steve has more training than all the team combined

Training in what? Combat, yes, but TV shows to the contrary, police work and combat are two different things.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Dec 1, 2012 @ 9:38 PM

Steve is a Navy Seal, so he is supposed to be better than a cop. However he let the bad person unnerve him and he is clueless about his Mom. I think this episode showed his more vulnerable side not "perfect Steve".

Steve might be a great Seal but he's a lousy cop.

Mars477

Mars477

Fanatic

Posted Dec 1, 2012 @ 10:34 PM

Steve has more training than all the team combined so its nice to see him put that training into action. Steve has always been persistent and won't let anyone get in the way of him trying to get to the truth. His gut instinct is good enough for me and I'd much rather see him act on it than do nothing like Danny.

Training in combat and (if you want to stretch it) intelligence operations is a far cry from training in police work. Persistence is nothing without procedure and not torturing people or coercing them into confessions at gunpoint. And with gut instinct and a sharp knife, you may be able to slice bread, but do fuckall else.

I'd actually find it kind of funny if 5-0 arrested suspect after suspect... only to see every single one of them walk out on acquittals because 5-0 couldn't be asked to find evidence able to hold up in court. That would be... rather charming, actually.

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted Dec 1, 2012 @ 11:21 PM

Either, Vanessa Marcil hasn't aged well or they have horrible lighting on the set of H50. She had some weird scar/bump on her lip that I don't recall seeing before. She did play the cray cray pretty well and I did enjoy the cat & mouse between her & McGarett. I also always thought that Grace Park was skinny & short (also, pretty hot) but she actually looked like a giant & healthier looking next to VM. Someone, needs to toss a cookie or two in VM's direction. P.S. Steve's Mom giving electric shock therapy was HYSTERICAL.

dwmarch

dwmarch

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 1, 2012 @ 11:54 PM

I'd actually find it kind of funny if 5-0 arrested suspect after suspect... only to see every single one of them walk out on acquittals because 5-0 couldn't be asked to find evidence able to hold up in court. That would be... rather charming, actually.

This has got to be the basis for a future episode. Or "Revenge of the Lackeys" in which bad guy "henchmen" who were shot by 5-0 are found to be innocent working stiffs who thought they were doing security contracting work. There's got to be enough of them for a decent trial by now.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Dec 2, 2012 @ 3:17 PM

Considering a good majority of their cases end up with one of the 5-0 members killing their suspect, I am not sure they have to worry about too many cases getting thrown out of court.

bodielovesbetty

bodielovesbetty

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 3, 2012 @ 1:31 PM

Steve was right to suspect the therapist. She was toying with him and not answering any of the questions. That's just not the way a normal person acts.

You would think a madam running a brothel out of a psychiatrist's office would have better acting chops. Or smarts. She was practically daring him to look further into her operation. Dumb.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Dec 3, 2012 @ 1:51 PM

ou would think a madam running a brothel out of a psychiatrist's office would have better acting chops. Or smarts. She was practically daring him to look further into her operation. Dumb.

You would also think she would have a better contingency plan in the case that she was discovered. I mean would running a brothel really result in that much jail time, where it would be worthy to kill the guy. Plus once the cops were on to you, why would you continue operating your brothel. Destroy all the evidence, shred any paper trail, and just deny any accusations. Hell for that matter she should have done that instead of killing the guy. I mean she probably could have turned it around where it was just the rantings of a person who needed psychological help, and there was no evidence against her.

hreesa

hreesa

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 3, 2012 @ 2:01 PM

Well yes, in real life the team would have been sued in the first season and most of the suspects would have been freed. Still, I liked crazy hand grenade Steve. It makes for good tv.

Plus it gives Danno something to play off of.

Codger

Codger

Stalker

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 12:27 AM

Awesome: The camera POV following Steve out the window.

Not so awesome: When the bad guy carjacks a getaway vehicle, Steve & Kono give up. Why weren't they on the phone right away, calling in HPD with the description, street, direction and license plate (easily gotten from the carjack victim)? It's not like they would have gotten very far before having a patrol car, then several, hot on their ass. But, nooooo. Creative license just doesn't stretch this far. Neither does it cover the assassin teleporting into an empty corridor right next to Steve.

Also awesome: Behati Prinsloo. She was damned charismatic for her first-ever acting job.

I enjoyed the models going all Sherlock Holmes on Danny, looking at his clothes and deducing he was a cop and that he had a young daughter.

Edited by Codger, Dec 4, 2012 @ 12:51 AM.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 1:22 AM

Steve and Kono together again. Besides the Victoria Secret product placement it makes me wonder if Scott Caan got injured again.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 2:09 AM

I've been seeing C. Thomas Howell a lot lately on TV. Glad old Ponyboy is still getting work.

So, the whole Victoria Secret's plot pretty much eclipses Kamekona's Subway commercial and Chin actually using the phrase "Bing it!", in the "Most Obvious Product Placement" contest, on this show. Even threw in a nice public service announcement about the models themselves. Remember, kids! Victoria Secret models are people too! That said, the lead model was surprisingly better then I expected. Granted, she was basically playing herself, but considering how bad some models have been when it comes to "acting" (oh, Transformers 3 replacement of Megan Fox) and even so-called actresses not being able to deliver dialogue worth a damn (including the lead on one of this show's time-slot competition), not being cringe-worthy is kind of impressive.

I laughed when Steve mutter about wishing Gabby would come back, because now that Last Resort has been canceled, Autumn Reeser is available (and still in Hawaii, I think.) So, Gabby can come back for her once in a blue moon episode, and then hang out with Adam in whatever void 5-0 love interests who aren't Catherine, are sent to.

Did enjoy seeing Steve/Kono as the main duo. Max and Bruce Willis' daughter were decent. Not enough Chin.

ETA: Adam, not Simon. I got my Ian Anthony Dale characters mixed-up.

Edited by thuganomics85, Dec 4, 2012 @ 4:08 AM.

BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 2:59 AM

Steve and Kono together again. Besides the Victoria Secret product placement it makes me wonder if Scott Caan got injured again.

Eps 308 (last week's ep)-310 (this ep was filmed as 310 but aired as 309 because of the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show tie-in) were apparently shooting in the same timeframe as that of Scott's Mom's death this past September (she died on September 18th; Scott subsequently missed SOTB3 because of her death/funeral--SOTB3, of course, was on September 23rd this year). I would guess if he wasn't as much in the eps filmed as 308-310 (we haven't seen what was filmed as 309 yet; I think that's the "Steve & Danny as Girl Scout Camping Trip Parents" ep that airs next week--& I'm under the impression there should be a lot of Steve & Danny in that 1), it would've been due to his Mom's passing & having to be on the Mainland for the services, & dealing with the stuff after--not to mention possible "compassionate leave" time once he returned to Honolulu.

Depending on the ep/filming dates, he may have also had a commitment to 1 or more of the charities he volunteers with, on or off the Mainland--I don't know. But there hasn't been any report of him re-injuring himself (in a similar way to his S1 injury) in the "entertainment" media this season, so I think I'd discount that as a reason for pairing Steve & Kono a lot in the ep.

I liked the ep a lot. Especially Max being so concerned for Sabrina & the team, or at least Steve, subsequently being concerned for him (in the scene where he called to report about the brain tumor he found during the autopsy while the team was analyzing the suspect sketches [or whatever it was] at the tech table) & reminding him to take care of himself (or something to that effect).

I also liked how cute Gracie was at the fashion show, & how "Uncle Steve" took pics for her to Tweet to her friends, & how Kamekona & his cousin got into the event by using Steve & Danny's VIP Passes (which Steve & Danny apparently didn't realize they didn't have until they saw Kamekona & his cousin had them--though it didn't seem that they needed them since they weren't questioned by anyone about their presence; I suppose the passes weren't required because of how helpful Five-0 was with the stalker case).

Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid

Stalker

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 3:23 AM

Nice Windows 8 commercial. In between the giant Victoria's Secret commercial. Never heard of this Behati chick.

Stoned naked guy was fun. Steve charging straight out the window without even hesitating was back in SuperSeal mode. Otherwise this was kind of a snooze.