Hawaii Five-0 (2010): Get Your Shave Ice Here

• Please log in to reply

10096 replies to this topic

Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 1:28 AM

After watching the second half I can say I...have absolutely no interest in watching NCIS:LA again. Every part of the writing and acting felt like they were trying way too hard, for something that was just entirely formulaic. Which yes, 5-0 is as well but I don't find it nearly as annoying. Generally. Also, in one of those six-degrees kind of things, years ago in a bar in Reno I met the trapeze artist who stunt doubled for Chris O'Donnell in Batman & Robin.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 3:52 AM

Trini Girl, but Kensi's appearance on H50 wasn't really for nothing, because it was laying the groundwork for the NCIS: LA episode where she was suspected of trying to hunt down her father's killer (hmm, Wo-Fat, Comescu, and the guy who killed Kensi's dad, a theme). Her trip to Hawaii for a totally different reason (to briefly help the H50 team, or more specifically, Joe) played a role in making her a suspect.

ScarletPrincess

ScarletPrincess

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 8:17 AM

After watching the second half I can say I...have absolutely no interest in watching NCIS:LA again. Every part of the writing and acting felt like they were trying way too hard, for something that was just entirely formulaic. Which yes, 5-0 is as well but I don't find it nearly as annoying. Generally. Also, in one of those six-degrees kind of things, years ago in a bar in Reno I met the trapeze artist who stunt doubled for Chris O'Donnell in Batman & Robin.

This is exactly how I feel. Plus Chris O'Donnell went to BC and as a BU person that automatically makes me dislike him. :)

So Scott Caan wrote a play and it's being shown in a playhouse in Toluca Lake. My brother has seem him twice in the last three days in the coffee shop he (my brother) is at every day. When I travel out there to see him and go to this coffee place I never see anyone!!!

NYC2007

NYC2007

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 8:53 AM

One thing that struck me about the NCIS:LA part of the 2 parter was that there was no sense of urgency. After they ran through the airport it seemed like they were just waiting around, joking about stuff while occasionally mentioning that most of the world's population would be dead in a couple of hours. I just found that odd.

I saw Scott Caan on Ellen earlier this week. He was a good sport participating in one of her wacky games. He very briefly mentioned 5-0. Mostly discussing his photography book and his upcoming plays.

HurricaneVal

HurricaneVal

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 12:02 PM

I'm a fan of both shows, and I enjoyed the crossover very much. As I posted in the NCIS: LA forum, I think these shows are very similar in nature in that they're very free-wheeling and they have a lot of action broken up by banter. Rather than a procedural drama, which might be the category someone might slot them in, I think of these shows more like live action superhero cartoons where they're killing bad guys and saving the world. It helps me suspend my disbelief.

Maybe if this crossover proves popular, then we'll see another one next year. It could become a "thing," you know, like every season Buffy always had a Halloween episode?

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 1:07 PM

I can see a semi regular event. Simon and Simon and Magnum PI did a few back in the day andthey had the same cross Pacific logistical nightmares. Along with the Simons doing much of their work in San Diego, where the Navy actually is.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 1:11 PM

Magnum and Murder She Wrote did a crossover too.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 4:53 PM

taiko, I remember those Simon & Simon crossovers fondly, and benteen, I remember being shocked that the Magnum - Murder She Wrote crossover didn't stink. ;-)

Re Navy being in San Diego: Here in central Ventura county, I am five miles from two major Navy bases. Well north of Los Angeles. Navy is pretty much everywhere in California. [I'm actually surprised that NCIS: LA doesn't film very often up here, because it would have to be cheaper than Malibu, Venice, and Santa Monica.]

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 12:04 AM

I too was trying to figure out the Naval aspect of the case, good to know that there really wasn't any.

The suspect was on a NCIS watch list. When Danny called he was transfered to Sam and G and he mentioned McGarrett as a back door introduction. So while CDC and FBI where doing their thing we followed 5-0/NCIS on the Romanian connection.

Top41

Top41

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 1:07 AM

Just watched the preview...
Spoiler

I thought the crossover was a lot of fun. The whole threat of a a deadly disease getting released is always a plot line that hooks me. I don't watch NCIS: LA but I thought the characters blended well and I enjoyed seeing Danno and Chin in LA for the second part. I think it was a good idea to have writers from each show writing both parts--that way the characters sounded and acted like themselves even when they were on the other show (a common problem with crossovers IMO).

I do miss Steve--someone above put it best "almost as much as Danno does." I'm glad he'll be back in the next episode!

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 11:16 PM

If the person who kidnapped and was using the victims to culture or test a more virulent smallpox were doing it to create an epidemic, why would they dispose of the clothing in a biohazard bag? Wouldn't they want to spread, rather than contain, the epidemic? And if not, then why didn't they burn it or dispose of it in their high tech lab setting? Surely they had the facilities.

I haven't watched the NCIS part yet but there was something that really confused me about the whole Smallpox thing. They said the evil Dr. was hired by the romanians, and he managed to make an even deadlier version of smallpox. The doctor talking to Kono said it would be even worse as a pandemic since instead of the person catching it and dying a month later they die a couple of days later. Now I am no doctor (and an actual doctor or medical person can correct me if I am wrong) but wouldn't a disease that lasts a month before killing you be worse as far as pandemics go? I mean if I catch small pox and die three days later those three days are probably going to be spent either in my bed thinking I am sick or maybe at a hospital, I am probably going to die before I have too many opportunities to infect others. But if I catch small pox and it is in my system for a month, I am probably going to be walking around spreading it to all kinds of people before I realize I am sick and go to the hospital, and then die.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 1:04 AM

I thought the same thing about the "more virulent" strain. I don't know what the threshold is, but there is absolutely an issue where if an infection is too deadly, it will kill the host before it's able to reproduce and transfer to a new victim. Unless it can incubate outside the body, it then dies out before it can become a threat to anyone else. I don't know what side of the line 3 days is, but I wondered.

They were also saying that if the epidemic spread slowly, they could vaccinate people against it before they were exposed, but that couldn't happen if there were outbreaks all over the world and they only had 3 days to do it. But I still question how much it would spread if it was that fatal that fast. You wouldn't need to generate worldwide immunity, you'd need to quarantine the people who got sick.

I think that we need to just handwave a lot of things and enjoy the pretty and the silly and the action on H5-0, but now and then something like this catches my attention and I want someone to come along and tell me where the tipping point is with being so deadly that it dies out before it can spread. Of course, villains are not necessarily thinking clearly either, and maybe they were just idiots on top of being evil. You know, mad scientists are... mad. And criminal conspiracies are not always populated by people with skills outside of the thug zone. And law enforcement is not versed in science. So everyone just went into "stop it!" mode. And stopping it would certainly be better than letting it happen, even if it wasn't going to kill 90% of the population.

Edited by possibilities, May 6, 2012 @ 1:07 AM.

Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 5:08 AM

I also watch Body of Proof, which is just as ridiculous as this show in its own way. Coincidentally, they did a two part story just before the season finale about a bioterrorist who releases a deadly contagion to kill off humans to save the world as well. Was it two-for-one day at Showy Network Plot Contrivances, Inc? Instead of a genetically engineered variant of smallpox they just went with Ebola. But rather than dramatically stopping the plague before it could get out, since this is a medical crime procedural, they actually killed about a hundred people and don't discover an effective vaccine until one of the leads is about to die. They also had a recurring character get creamed by an SUV, who was of course infected anyway. Since she had become annoying and worn out her welcome with viewers (sound familiar?) it was highly satisfactory.

cosmom

cosmom

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 5:25 AM

I mean if I catch small pox and die three days later those three days are probably going to be spent either in my bed thinking I am sick or maybe at a hospital, I am probably going to die before I have too many opportunities to infect others.

Theoretically, before they started feeling bad, the infected person would be out and about doing their normal thing - work, school, shopping, etc...and spreading the infection unknowingly. Once they started to feel sick, they would be at home initially and still infecting the people they live with (who in turn go about their normal lives infecting others). By the time they got to the hospital, it would be rippling through their social networks.

Whether or not the pandemic in reality would be greater or lesser this way is anyone's guess, but since it is the writers' pandemic I'll go with their theory.

I'm with possibilities on the hand waving wile watching tv. It really is a necessity.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 6:29 AM

I'm not a doctor but i read The Hot Zone years ago so I'll play. I don't believe that smallpox is very infectious during the incubation period. The bio-engineered strain was developed to cut that period from two weeks to a few days when symptoms begin to show and the patient became infectious. So in theory once outbreaks started happening the world's health organizations would lose a week to vaccinate larger portions of the population. Which was the plan of the end user on NCIS:LA. After all the vaccine is not an antidote, once infected a 90% mortality rate all doctors can do is keep you comfortable or execute you like Dr Evil did.

IttyBittyFlavur

IttyBittyFlavur

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 10:49 AM

That's what I remember -- that the period when the smallpox was communicable was accelerated, as well. So by the time people started showing up with symptoms, it would have spread widely.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 5:23 AM

Hey, "Kamekona" was on The Amazing Race tonight. The race ended in Hawaii, and one of the tasks involved making shave ice the old-fashioned way (using a sword).

Kamekona (or rather, Taylor Wily) judged the task, checking quantity of ice shaved and handing out the next clue. They announced his name and mentioned he was a well-known actor in Hawaii.

NYC2007

NYC2007

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 7:46 AM

Kamekona! I saw it too on The Amazing Race. Very fun.

They also played the H50 theme at the end during the credits.

Really looking forward to McG's return tonight. The previews for the last two episodes look great.

Edited by NYC2007, May 7, 2012 @ 11:59 AM.

HurricaneVal

HurricaneVal

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 1:38 PM

OMG. I'm at the office, and there is a guy talking in the hallway with the exact accent, speech pattern, and inflection as Sang Min. Sadly, no mullet.

Ava007

Ava007

Channel Surfer

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 2:15 PM

OMG. I'm at the office, and there is a guy talking in the hallway with the exact accent, speech pattern, and inflection as Sang Min. Sadly, no mullet.

Never been to Hawaii (I'd love to) and sometimes I wonder about these accents, is this supposed to be some sort of asian accent?

And what about Kamekona? I can't place his accent, is this typical hawaiian?
“Kamekona: I'm in training, brah.
Danny: Did he just say he's in a training bra?”

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 2:20 PM

brah, the local accented bro or brother

Ava007

Ava007

Channel Surfer

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 2:27 PM

Taiko, yeah, I know what that means, lol, as I assume Danny knew as well. It was just a funny quote I still remember.

I'm more curious about his accent generally speaking.

BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 2:52 PM

Daniel Dae Kim will be on CBS' The Talk (the talk show that's CBS' version of The View, with Julie Chen, Sharon Osbourne, Sara Gilbert, Sheryl Underwood & Aisha Tyler), this Thursday, May 10th. The Talk is scheduled to air on CBS at 2PM Eastern/1PM Central, running in an hour long timeslot & normally airing live to at least the Eastern/Central time zones.

If you're interested in watching/recording this, please check your local listings for the correct air time & channel in your city. I know (at least on most days) the show airs live in the Eastern & Central time zones but I don't know if it also airs live in the Mountain/Pacific/further west time zones (meaning it would air there at around 11AM Pacific/10AM Mountain & earlier, if it did) or if it airs there at 2PM/1PM, as it does in the Eastern/Pacific time zones.

I've noticed DDK seems to be doing most of the "heavy lifting" on promotion of the end of the season, with an occasional assist from Scott--which is OK 'cause I don't think DDK is that bad on talk shows & he looked really good on Jimmy Fallon recently. It's not unusual, to me, that Grace Park's not been doing any promotion--I don't remember her doing many talk shows/ET-type shows in support of H50, beyond the group inteview with the Core 4 that was on CBS' The Early Show before S1 started (I think it was right after the CBS Upfront that season), or print interviews for that matter; maybe talk shows aren't her "thing" like they tend not to be Scott's "thing" most times. I'm kind of wondering, though, if Alex isn't doing the talk shows (which he has in the past, at least for other projects) because there's a concern that interviews with him right now might try to get more into why he ended up in rehab in March than promoting the last ep or 2 of H50 S2. The other thought I had on that was maybe it's connected to his son now living with him & Alex not wanting to leave him behind in Honolulu for as long as he'd possibly have to be gone to do most of the Mainland-based talk shows. I don't know; just speculation on my part.

While I'm talking about the cast & talk shows, I wanted to throw in that I thought Scott did really well, & seemed maybe to be a bit more at ease, on Ellen last week than he usually is on talk shows/in other promotional work on the show's behalf. I thought he was a great sport to play the Twister Hoopla(?) game with the audience members & I really would've loved to have traded places with his game partner, considering they basically ended up hugging/in a clinch by the end of the game--I'm really hoping she was a Scott Caan fan so getting that close to him meant something to her.

As far as the crossover goes... I enjoyed it & wouldn't mind seeing another in S3 or later; I'd really like to see the Steve & Sam, former SEALs, interaction we missed out on because of Alex's unexpected medical leave before these eps shot. As others have said I think the point of the 3-day incubation period being worse than the normal month, or whatever, for Smallpox is because you could maybe get as many/more people infected in a shorter period of time because *everything* about the disease was accelerated with the mutated version of the virus in the storyline.

Also I think that the writers did a really good job with rewriting, at short notice, the Steve parts for Chin, Danny, & whichever other characters got the lines originally intended for Alex/Steve to speak in the eps. So kudos to them for handling that curve ball as well as they did.

However... they let 1 kinda big thing stay in the 2nd half of the crossover that shouldn't have: Did anyone else besides me catch that when Deeks was teasing Kensi about flirting with Danny & Deeks called him *Danno*?

That was the big rewrite error I found in the crossover. It was an error because when Sam & Callen (as I remember) were introducing our guys to their NCIS teammates, Danny was introduced as "Detective Sergeant Danny Williams", with no reference to his "Danno" nickname. Chin never called him "Danno" in the ep, in front of Deeks, Kensi, or anyone else from the NCIS LA team, or just when it was Chin & Danny together. And in our show, nobody but Steve or Gracie *ever* calls him "Danno"--except for that 1 time Lori did it in the S2 Halloweeen ep, to snark him. Also, nobody on the NCIS LA team knew Danny before he showed up on their proverbial doorstep, so they wouldn't have known to call him "Danno". My feeling (& I've read the same elsewhere) is that there was supposed to have been a scene before that--which *did* successfully get cut--where Steve called Danny "Danno" In front of at least Deeks, if not the whole NCIS team, which would've then led to Deeks using the nickname to tease Kensi about her alleged attraction to him (a scene which somehow stayed in the ep).

I'm excited for tonight's new ep--but bummed that it's 1 of the last 2 for the season. I'm also getting more & more anxious/nervous for next week's S2 finale--but I'm worried I'll seriously wanna kick Peter Lenkov's ass for whatever he does to the team next week; especially if he does something that can't easily be undone to a character I like more than most/all of the others.

babyblackcat

babyblackcat

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

I enjoyed this episode. There was no real procedural case to deal with, Kono got something interesting to do, Danny's hair got mussed several times, and Action Steve was back! Cargo pants!
Loved the end scene too.
Can't wait to see the finale, but I'm going away and will not be able to watch it for a few weeks, I'm so bummed! Especially after seeing the preview.

PadmeSkywalker

PadmeSkywalker

Channel Surfer

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:13 PM

So much love for this episode! The promo completely faked us all out. As a big fan of the bromance I loved Danny going nuts worrying about Steve. I did yell at the screen when Steve just patted him on the shoulder after the saw each other but hugged Chin and Kono.

I hope we see Adam again. I liked his relationship with Kono and how he is actually trying to go clean. I'm guessing the CIA will try to bust Wo Fat out now? Did anyone else know about his immunity deal other than his handler? I got a bit lost at that part. Wo Fat sending back Hiro bit by bit. Ouch. I can understand Adam wanting to torture Wo Fat.

Danny's hair got messed up! First time in two seasons that I can remember seeing that.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:17 PM

Finally got to see the McGarrett-Wo Fat throwdown, not bad. It was no The Raid, but pretty well choreographed for a TV fight.

babyblackcat

babyblackcat

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:24 PM

Watching the plane crash in the jungle, I thought...too bad Daniel Dae Kim and Terry O'Quinn weren't there - they've had experience with that before! I was fully expected a smoke monster to come out and grab WoFat, LOL.

I too thought the fight, and all of the action around it, was pretty well done.

PadmeSkywalker

PadmeSkywalker

Channel Surfer

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:26 PM

Link to an article about Catherine's role next season: http://blog.zap2it.c...lationship.html

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:26 PM

Watching the plane crash in the jungle, I thought...too bad Daniel Dae Kim and Terry O'Quinn weren't there - they've had experience with that before! I was fully expected a smoke monster to come out and grab WoFat, LOL.

I think we saw those big vine trees from Lost too at one point.

Great episode. Action-packed and a nice return for McGarrett. Seeing the team back together at the end just felt right...that was the type of "welcome back" scene Kono should have gotten when she returned to 5-0. Kono and Adam was an interesting decision but the two worked well together.

Aaron Pierce! Glenn Morshower once again playing a government agent. He was an ass but I did like how he wasn't impressed with Danny pulling out the Governor card. Seriously, Danny, do you think the CIA and the federal government gives a **** if the Governor of Hawaii is upset with them?

Good fight between Steve and Wo Fat and Wo Fat still looks like a good villain even in prison.

cosmom

cosmom

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:40 PM

Watching the plane crash in the jungle, I thought...too bad Daniel Dae Kim and Terry O'Quinn weren't there - they've had experience with that before!

Frank Lapidus would have gotten it down in one piece.

I so loved the Wo Fat - McG throwdown and that McG grabbed a branch to whack him with to end it. MD in action is a thing of beauty.

Wo Fat remains the bestest bad guy ever. I love that he gets taken into custody, flown out to Hawaii, bounced around on a plane, gets tossed around in the jungle by McG, assassination attempt by Adam's bad boys,...and has a perfectly clean and pressed shirt and vest when Danny is walking him over to the squad car. Did they ever figure out who was in his tub in Osaka?

Looks like the Kono - Adam romance was short lived. Probably for the best - overload of pretty between the two of them.