Hawaii Five-0 (2010): Get Your Shave Ice Here

• Please log in to reply

10078 replies to this topic

Jeann

Jeann

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:10 PM

So McGarrett can just take off whenever he likes, and not inform the bosses? I thought for sure that they would explain his absence from the show as being recalled to active military duty, attending a training course, or off on some nefarious special assignment. But NOOOOO....he runs away from home instead.

HurricaneVal

HurricaneVal

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:12 PM

I liked it. But then again--I like the Max character, especially when they're writing him as competent with quirks, instead of a bag of quirks used as "comic relief."

I kind of played a game through the episode though, of "which line or scene was originally Steve's" and sometimes I could tell that Chin's lines were more Steve lines, but sometimes it seemed like the writers swapped things around a bit and had Danny give Steve's "lead investigator" lines and Chin take on Danny's usual responses--where it made sense. They did a pretty good job working around AOL's absence. The glaring exception was when Danny was by himself making the death notification to the mother and asking her all the background info about the daughter. DDK and GP must not have been available for the scene. It was strange to see Danny on his own. (The mother drove me nuts, she looked familiar, but I just couldn't place her.)

DDK's screen time really increased in this episode, but it really only served to make it incredibly obvious that the Kono character is underused. We barely saw her at all. I guess I expected that they'd try to share out Steve's lines between Chin and Kono, when in fact they mainly only gave them to Chin and Danny. Maybe things will be more even handed in the next Steve-less episode when the writers had more time to work around Steve.

jennifer6973

jennifer6973

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:18 PM

(The mother drove me nuts, she looked familiar, but I just couldn't place her.)

Stacey Haiduk - better known as Patty on Young and the Restless.

but she has also appeared on NCIS in the first or second season.

She was also Hannah on All My Children

Edited by jennifer6973, Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:19 PM.

babyblackcat

babyblackcat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:33 PM

That was an alright episode. I didn't mind the focus on Max, the mystery was interesting enough (though the "unwed mother" talk felt a little dated, as if a woman finding herself unmarried and pregnant was still horribly scandalous these days), and it was nice to have more screen time for Chin and Kono, but...I missed Steve/Alex.

I think they did a good job writing him out quickly, and the little moment at the end was a nice addition to still tie him back to the team, but his absence really did leave a hole. I agree with those who said they wouldn't watch if he were gone Plus, aside from the shrimp truck stuff, there wasn't really any banter or lightness in this episode, and I missed that too. A big part of that comes from the team making fun of Steve, so I'm looking forward to his return.

Glad to hear Alex is back on set, I really hope he's doing well.

caseylane

caseylane

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:41 PM

I'm starting to think that Grace just doesn't want more lines. Maybe she gets to come in a day or to later than the rest so she can go home more. I don't know but it really seems like she could be used a lot more.

justjoan

justjoan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 2:12 PM

Also, I thought Danny was an ass to the big guy (whose name I can't remember). Granted, 5-0 isn't the place to investigate a missing shrimp truck but the big guy has done a lot of favors for you in the past. Just referred him to the proper authorities at the very least.

Danny was absolutely right, though. It's not their jurisdiction, they were promptly handed a matter of some immediate urgency, and it's not like Kamekona doesn't know where the regular cops are. If he'd gone there in the first place, he would have found out he'd been impounded (since apparently he doesn't read his mail), and the problem would have been handled. And Kono wouldn't be out $200. I give it a pass because that plot was pretty much the only lightness in the episode, but generally I would find it very irritating.

Stacy Haiduk and Max Perlich seemed weirdly underused. Why not cast local actors instead of importing H!ITGs if you're going to give them five lines each?

DDK's screen time really increased in this episode, but it really only served to make it incredibly obvious that the Kono character is underused. We barely saw her at all. I guess I expected that they'd try to share out Steve's lines between Chin and Kono, when in fact they mainly only gave them to Chin and Danny.

Man, so true. See, show, this is why I protest every time you add new characters. You don't even use the ones you have!

Edited by justjoan, Apr 10, 2012 @ 2:17 PM.

delta25

delta25

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 3:23 PM

melonium said

I agree Delta. They did well to write out Steve in a believable way at what I imagine was the last minute. I also don't mind the idea of more Chin and Kono etc as they are underused but this episode showed me just how important Steve is for me as the soul of the show.

I've always wanted more Chin and Kono but they've been both so underused this season I've lost interest in their characters.

I'm sticking with it as I want to support them for letting Alex take the time to get well and want to support Alex too so will take as many Steve-less eps as I have to - however if Alex left the show for good this episode confirmed for me that I wouldn't be able to keep watching without him. I doubt I would if Scott went either to be honest, they are both vital but Alex is the definite 'must have' ingredient for me.

The only must have ingredient for me is Alex. I don't think I would have felt like this last season. But the show has been lacking for many episodes now and it was only Alex that kept me watching, though even Steve's character had been affected by the bad writing and lacklustre plots. I loved Danny last season but this year he's become my least favourite of the four and I'm sick of his condesending attitude, so I'd have no problem watching without him.

I don't want Alex to come back before he's ready and am very grateful he's been given the time to get better, but last nights episode confirmed that I couldn't continue to watch without him. He is Hawaii Five'o, the show isn't the same without him.

Edited by delta25, Apr 10, 2012 @ 3:35 PM.

Top41

Top41

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 4:10 PM

While I missed Steve, too, I still enjoyed the episode. I thought they did a good job of writing him out utilizing a storyline they've been building all season. I'm not sure why he wouldn't answer Danny's calls--is he worried Danny is going to try to talk him out of it? Like Steve has ever listened before. He could at least assure Danny, who it sounds like has been calling more than a teenage girl who got dumped by the football captain and can't get over it, that he's okay. The "Dear Danno" letter was sweet, but also indicated Steve knew ahead of time that Danny wouldn't handle it well. I wonder if he's going to sulk when Steve finally gets back.

It was fun to see Max in the spotlight and get a little backstory on him. He's mostly been comic relief, so it was nice to get some more dimension to him than just the quirky coroner. The part about him connecting with the man convicted of one of the crimes was a clever twist, too.

I thought the scene with Danno and the girl's mom was well done--you can tell he really connects with people who lose children, and struggles when he has to make those death notices. Scott Caan does humor really well, but I think he's equally adept at handling the more serious, solemn material.

The B-story about Kamekona's truck was hilarious--totally cracked me up. Poor Kono--she's going to have to eat a lot of shrimp to get her $200 back!

HurricaneVal

HurricaneVal

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 5:00 PM

Thanks, jennifer6973, it must have been from NCIS that I recognized her, I never was a YatR or AMC fan.

I agree too, Top41 that Scott Caan does solemn very well. He has this expression he gets around his eyes when Danny's being empathetic with victims that really sells it--something about the laugh lines being completely relaxed, but other lines being accentuated. The expression he had on his face when he was sitting quietly on his couch watching Enemy Mine when Steve came over comes to mind.

melonium

melonium

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 5:39 PM

Benteen. I don't make fun of Alex's acting and personally think it's better than Scotts, who to me is a scenery chewer at times. That been said, what this week showed is that they work brilliantly together and that I doubt either would work well as a character/actor on this show, without the other.

I had an in depth discussion with the friend I watched the show with. She's a huge Scott/Danny fan yet didn't like him in this ep much, she found him annoying and she didn't think he brought it to his scenes with DDk.

I'm a huge Steve/Alex fan but I can easily imagine that without Scott/Danny to play off I wouldn't be as impressed with the character either.

So I think what this shows is just how vital both are to the show and how much amazing chemistry they have with one another. It's something that I always used to say re SVU too. I always said if the show lost either one of the leads it would start to sink. The ratings this year sans Meloni have proved me right. The pair of them together were what worked.

McDanno are chalk and cheese. Scott is an expressive actor, Alex is a subtle one. Danny is outgoing, loud and brash, but with a heart of gold. Steve is self contained, locked down, stoic but deep down vulnerable.

They are the perfect foil for one another. Its one of those lovely serendipitous casting flukes thats worked really well.

kitmerlot

kitmerlot

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 6:05 PM

Scott Caan does solemn very well. He has this expression he gets around his eyes when Danny's being empathetic with victims that really sells it--something about the laugh lines being completely relaxed, but other lines being accentuated.

I agree with this--SC is very good at conveying emotion wordlessly because he has such an expressive face. I remember in particular the episode where the children are kidnapped on the bus. We didn't need to hear a big speech that he was worried and thinking about Grace, all you had to do was look at his face. I also remember the episode where he ran out to stop the teenage son of the murder victim from walking into the house--that was also a wordlessly poignant moment.

And when I read the phrase "scenery chewer" I always think of an actor that's extremely hammy or show-offy and that to me is the opposite of Scott who can be quiet and introspective as easily as he can be boisterious in his scenes.

SlovakPrincess

SlovakPrincess

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 6:34 PM

I think this was actually one of the better episodes this season - along with the Ed Asner episode, which I really enjoyed. This season seems to be improving as it goes.

It was dark, and I usually hate serial-killer-of-women stories, but this episode was actually quite good. I liked seeing a different, more serious side of Max.

Kono's looks of concern to Max throughout the episode were subtle but very well done by the
actress, I thought.

I like Steve, but I'm ok with them giving him a little break, and seeing the other characters try to manage without him. As long as he comes back, eventually, of course . . .

Can someone tell me what happened to Lori?! I must have missed the episode where she left . . . somehow.

Top41

Top41

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 6:38 PM

Agreed about Scott! He's very good at the non-verbal acting... Danny wears his heart on his sleeve, and Scott does such a great job of conveying just what Danny is feeling in any given moment.

I agree that McDanno together is the best. I like both characters and actors individually, but on screen together they're just pure gold. Their banter and their relationship is really what distinguishes the show, I think--it's certainly as important and as central as the setting in my mind. I can't wait until Steve gets back--and can't wait for Danny's reaction. Because I know there will be one. Steve had better bring flowers. Or malasadas. Or both. ;)

Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:35 PM

I thought that was a predictably lame excuse for McGarrett's absence. The only enjoyable part was having Danny say he was left a Dear Danny letter. The episode was fine. As soon as they established the victims were all women who left children at the church I knew the killer was one of those kids getting revenge. I figured Max was adopted all along, you just don't run across many Asians with Jewish names. I do keep hoping he makes a tossed-of comment about his Bar Mitzvah.

Won its time slot. Now whether that's because it was a new episode, curiosity over how they would deal with AOL's absence, or people who wanted to see the rest of the team, I couldn't say.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:48 PM

Well the excuse does set us up for later, however why not just have Steve on vacation instead of the intrigue? Its not like the Baltimore Major Crimes Squad which spends months on a case, the Hawaii major crimes Task Force 5-0 close their cases in one day,

delta25

delta25

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 2:49 AM

I'm a huge Steve/Alex fan but I can easily imagine that without Scott/Danny to play off I wouldn't be as impressed with the character either.

I feel the opposite Melonium, especially lately. When Steve's with Danny he tends to become just as annoying as Danny or even out of character. I used to love their banter, now it tends to make them childish and overbearing. I enjoy Steve a lot more when he's not acting all childish around Danny. Alex didn't seem to be putting as much energy into their recent back and forths, and he wasn't as convincing as before that he was actually enjoying Danny's rant. Their banter now is forced and I don't see any genuine friendship between them.

I do believe that Alex brings the energy to the show and Scott is better when he's playing off him. He seemed like he was hardly making an effort in monday nights episode because he didn't have that energy to play off. Alex on the other hand is great with everyone and he's great chemistry with whoever he interacts with and when he's given something decent like in episode 1.24 he nails it. His scenes with the Governor in that episode and the scenes with Jenna in 2.10 were for me some of the best scenes in the show and they had nothing to do with Danny.

I look forward to the return of Wo Fat as I find the relationship between him and Steve one of the most interesting things about the show and the show could do with some excitement injected back into it.

melonium

melonium

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 5:06 AM

I think Scott can be hammy at times. I don't mind, it makes Danny funny but the whole using his arms all the time to express himself, ranting on and on thing is a bit hammy sometimes and I know people who I watch the show who find it really annoying. I also don't find Scott all that subtle at showing emotions. When DDk had that bomb around his neck he didn't need to pant and cry and have an on screen panic attack to convey his fear, like Scott did in the ep with his ex partner taking Grace. Same with Alex in his scenes with the governor or with Wo Fat.

That's not me stating that Scott is the lesser actor, I wouldn't be so arrogant to presume my own opinion of an actor is the only one out there :) Just to say that my preference is for more understated work like DDK's or Alex's. Different strokes and all that.

Put them together though and if you're someone who finds Steve a bit flat then Danny livens him up, find Danny too much and too irritating and Steve's quietness is balm to your soul! Chin and Kono also complement one another too and the rest of the team. Like I said, perfect casting. And its rare. It's also why it goes so wrong when they try to mess with it.

Vernicious, the show has won its time slot every week bar one all season! Nothing to do with Alex's presence or not. The only thing is now its the only CBS show on Monday nights that does win its time slot, whereas before The Voice they all did. It only had a tiny demo increase from the last live ep and there was no new Castle so I don't think there is anything to be taken either way ratings wise from the cast change up.

I'm interested to see if both HFO and NCIS LA have any kind of ratings increases for the crossover episodes though. I expect CBS will be wanting a nice boost for both shows from that and they've both been suffering with lower ratings in the last few weeks compared to earlier in the year.

Buttercup550

Buttercup550

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 8:16 AM

During the scene where Max kills the serial killer and then Kono and Chin run in, it hit me - three Asian actors in major roles, all as 'good guys.' What other show does that? Add don't forget Kamekono and Fong.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 8:28 AM

three Asian actors in major roles, all as 'good guys.' What other show does that? Add don't forget Kamekono and Fong

Well to be fair to other shows that is part of being in Hawaii, and before people ask what about actual "Hawaiians" there are something like three times as many Filipinos as surviving indigenous Hawaiians. So where are all of the Latinos in In Plain Sight since New Mexico is the other state where so-called minorities make up the majority or Latino's in Southland's LAPD where Latino's have become the normal face of the police department.

Edited by taiko, Apr 11, 2012 @ 8:29 AM.

sisterfive

sisterfive

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:13 AM

Someone posted over on LJ that they saw Alex in Whole Foods. He was with Saxon, so she didn't want to bother him. She said he was looking good, much better than those last few episodes. So that's good news.

I liked the ep, though the actors seemed a little subdued to me. I could be reading the situation into it though. It was terrific to see more Chin! Cracked up when Danny called him Don Ho.

It took me a while to recognize Stacy Haiduk. She was on Seaquest and (for the TS fans on the board) the villainess on Dead End on Blank Street.

We've had a great object lesson on "Once posted on the Internet, it's out there forever." Larry Teng removed his tweet about Alex's return to the set a few hours after he posted it. Spoiler TV just posted the screen cap today. That cap's been reappearing everywhere.

hreesa

hreesa

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:02 AM

During the scene where Max kills the serial killer and then Kono and Chin run in, it hit me - three Asian actors in major roles, all as 'good guys.' What other show does that?

Seriously, now that you mentioned that, has this happened before (at least in a show without a whole minority cast)?

Ankai

Ankai

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 5:02 PM

Well the excuse does set us up for later, however why not just have Steve on vacation instead of the intrigue?

It is an excuse so that the characters can talk about him the way that they did not talk about Kono when she was away from the team.

Then again, they might have still talked about him had he gone on one of those ship drills with Catherine for a week.

I figured Max was adopted all along, you just don't run across many Asians with Jewish names.

There are quite a lot of Asian adoptees in America, mostly from China and Korea. Some are Jewish. I am not sure if there are many Japanese adoptees living in Hawaii, but there may be a few.

During the scene where Max kills the serial killer and then Kono and Chin run in, it hit me - three Asian actors in major roles, all as 'good guys.' What other show does that?

In America? Shows that do not last a season, let alone get a second season.

I did not find Max as annoying as I usually do, which was good, since he was in this episode a lot more than he normally is.

Michelle05

Michelle05

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:55 PM

So relieved to hear someone saw Alex out and about and he was looking good! Too bad CBS is still staying so tight-lipped about it.

I enjoyed the episode okay, although the initial murder was so disturbing, it was hard for me to get over it. I find it hard to believe Masi's acting when he's doing the exposition scenes. It seems he's working so hard to get the words out quickly, there's barely any inflection. The emotional scenes were far better. JMO.

Meanwhile I'm picturing Danny hanging out in Steve's house until he gets back, the dog back in Steve's bed. Serves him right!

blackwing

blackwing

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:32 AM

I liked the last episode. I'm glad they explored Max's background at least a little bit. I don't necessarily think that he was adopted by a Jewish family. Bergman could also be either Swedish or German. I think.

Won its time slot. Now whether that's because it was a new episode, curiosity over how they would deal with AOL's absence, or people who wanted to see the rest of the team, I couldn't say.

I'm happy to hear that it won its timeslot, but I'm skeptical to think that the public is all that obsessed with Alex O'Loughlin. I bet a good majority of the general TV audience doesn't know or care that he would be gone from a few episodes.

Re Scott vs. Alex. I don't particularly like Scott's acting. It's too handsey. I also don't think Alex is a particularly good actor either... he's a pretty face and not much more beyond that. However, I enjoy the scenes of them bickering like an old married couple. Some of the best parts about the show.

sisterfive

sisterfive

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 4:24 PM

From Spoiler TV, news about the episode where McGarrett returns

Spoiler

BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 3:10 AM

Courtesy of 1 of the H50-related accounts I follow on Twitter, here are links to the 1st 2 known pics (that I know of) of Alex--on & off the set--since his return from treatment. I'm posting the links just in case someone here hasn't already seen the pics through 1 of the various Social Media accounts somehow connected to the show.

This pic *is* probably considered spoilery for Ep 222, based on the fact it includes McGarrett & another known character from the show & appears to be the characters in a scene from the ep. It can be seen in what the poster calls "full size" here. View this pic at your own risk of being spoiled. I got it off of my Twitter feed, but it's my understanding CBS released it so it's probably also on either the Press Express site, the show's page at CBS.com, or both of these sites.

This pic *is not* spoilery for anything. It's just Alex & a fan, taken I'm not sure where. It looks like it may have been taken off the set, or at least when Alex didn't seem to be in normal "Steve McGarrett" clothing.

I've gotta say even though we knew Alex was back on set, & apparently back living his normal life off the set as well (thanks to the sighting sisterfive mentioned, of Alex & his son at a Honolulu Whole Foods store the other night), it's a bit more comforting to finally see pics of him again than to have to wait to see him for ourselves when Ep 222 finally airs in May. I (among others) think he looks a lot better, physically, than he did before he went into treatment. At least his face seems to have "filled out", if you will, again. To me, that's something of a positive sign. Here's hoping the treatment he underwent was successful & a future recurrence of the issue isn't likely.

Belatedly edited because I realized the pic links were from the same account, not different accounts, & I wanted to fix that. This obviously proves that I have no business posting stuff in the "pre-dawn" hours of the morning, when I'm likely to make mistakes doing it. Just saying.

Edited by BW Manilowe, Apr 13, 2012 @ 11:18 AM.

kitmerlot

kitmerlot

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 10:30 AM

That one pic is quite spoilery and could lead to speculation about the finale, so I'm going to pretend I didn't see it. {g}

Instead, I will focus on the other one of Alex smiling with a fan--it is wonderful to see him smiling again and looking so healthy and I truly hope he's well and that he's gotten everything under control with his health.

Thanks for posting such lovely and positive pics.

NYC2007

NYC2007

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 11:08 AM

So relieved to hear someone saw Alex out and about and he was looking good! Too bad CBS is still staying so tight-lipped about it.

It's always interesting how the media latches onto and reports the bad stuff, but not the good.

Glad he's back and hope he continues to get better.

I watched this week's episode and really missed McGarrett's presence. I think he brings a great energy to the stories and keeps them moving. There was nothing wrong with the episode or how the actors performed. I just thought it was kind of boring.

Edited by NYC2007, Apr 13, 2012 @ 11:08 AM.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 5:14 PM

To add to what NYC2007 said, this ensemble is very much like a good sports team. All players may be good on their own, but put them together, and they're great. We'd never have known how good Jerry Rice is if he hadn't worked with equally great quarterbacks.

BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 7:34 PM

I have another new pic of Alex! This was posted by someone I don't know/follow about 4 hours ago, & showed up on my Twitter feed through a Retweet by someone I do follow--that might've been the person who Tweeted the other 2 new pics I posted overnight last night/this morning. The caption on the new pic is:

#H50 on the set ... lunch with Alex

And, indeed, Alex can be seen in the pic carrying a paper bowl/cup, like you'd get a scoop of ice cream in perhaps, with a spoon, fork or "spork" handle sticking out of it & he's walking away from either the catering or craft services (on set snacks) tent. Can't tell what kind of food is in the cup/bowl though... & I don't know if it actually was taken during his lunch break, but I'm assuming it was taken today & not earlier in the week. I think Alex still looks like he's doing quite well now--so hooray for that.

Please note: Thanks to info from deskbert in a newer post, this pic *was not* taken after Alex's release from treatment as I assumed above. It was actually taken during filming last August... & the poster may have tried to pass it off as a pic taken post-treatment. My apologies. But it still is a new pic here, as far as I remember, so I think I'm right about that.

I don't know the original poster's connection to the show, if any (other than at least being a fan). If the link above doesn't work, try this.

Kitmerlot said:

That one pic is quite spoilery and could lead to speculation about the finale, so I'm going to pretend I didn't see it. {g}

Instead, I will focus on the other one of Alex smiling with a fan--it is wonderful to see him smiling again and looking so healthy and I truly hope he's well and that he's gotten everything under control with his health.

Thanks for posting such lovely and positive pics.

Yeah, I'd say that 1st pic, from upthread, is quite spoilery & could lead to speculation about the finale. But the fact remains that Alex & the other person in it are very good looking. No speculation needed there.

And it was nice to see him looking so healthy, & being so cool & smiley with a fan again. Like you I hope he's well & has his health situation back under control. Seeing those 2 pics last night, & this new 1 just now, has absolutely made my day.

At least they're probably wrapping S2 by the end of the month (if not before)--they're on Day 6 of Ep 222, according to Larry Teng (but I figured they'd be on Day 7, having filmed Wednesday & Thursday of last week--before the 3-day Good Friday/Easter/Passover long weekend--plus, I thought, every day since/including Monday of this week... or 5 days this week, so far), so they have at least 2 more days left on that ep. Then they have 8 more days (under normal production circumstances) on Ep 223--the Season Finale--once that starts production. So if there are still any health issues that haven't quite been resolved during his time off (& I'm *not* saying there are), he can take care of them over the summer hiatus.

And you're very welcome for the orignal 2 pics. And this new pic as well.

Edited by BW Manilowe, Apr 14, 2012 @ 12:55 PM.