Hawaii Five-0 (2010): Get Your Shave Ice Here

• Please log in to reply

10084 replies to this topic

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Feb 11, 2010 @ 7:38 PM

Alex O'Laughlin to play McGarrett.
He seems like a nice guy but he's 0 for 2 with CBS. Does Nina Tassler have a massive crush on him or something? (I heartily endorse Daniel Dae Kim as Chin, though.)

ScribblerGuy

ScribblerGuy

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 12, 2010 @ 9:08 AM

(Psst. It's O'Loughlin)

He seems like a nice guy but he's 0 for 2 with CBS. Does Nina Tassler have a massive crush on him or something?

Heh, and his movie with, The Back-Up Plan, Jennifer Lopez is produced by CBS Films. With only seeing him in his previous CBS roles, I'm having a hard time picturing him as a police detective. Though I do see that he played a recurring detective on The Shield.

They should have had this premiere last fall -- Hawaii turned 50 in August '09, which could have been used to generate some extra PR buzz.

This seems to be a sure thing, so as far as time slots go, I'm going to guess either Tuesdays @ 10pm or Thursdays @ 9pm. -- Sorry, CSI, you're no longer the top dog at the Eye.

KarolineCat

KarolineCat

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 12, 2010 @ 11:07 AM

Nope, I think "The Good Wife" will remain on Tuesdays and it will be "The Mentalist" at 9 on Thursdays. "Hawaii" will probably be on Sundays.

ScribblerGuy

ScribblerGuy

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 17, 2010 @ 11:08 AM

From Variety:

In other casting news, Taryn Manning ("Sons of Anarchy") is close to being added to CBS' "Hawaii Five-O" redux.

Manning will play Mary Ann McGarrett, Hawaii State Police Det. Steve McGarrett's younger sister "with a checkered past."

Thefutoncritic.com has this in their blurb, but since I can't find a more "mainstream" news source mentioning this one plot point, I'm putting it under spoiler bars:

She'll play Mary Ann McGarrett, Steve's troubled younger sister who returns to Oahu after their father's murder.

And, I'm presuming the murder is unsolved and will be an ongoing plot arc for at least the first season. But, that's been done already (law enforcement type person with parent murdered -- Crossing Jordan, Bones, Castle). And, the same with the troubled younger sibling (Brandy on In Plain Sight).

SparksFan59

SparksFan59

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 4:13 PM

This actually looks pretty good. I was a bit wary, at first.

Here is the new preview Hawaii 5-0 Season Preview

Poor Jin never made it off the island.... :)

TheSporkWielder

TheSporkWielder

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 4:50 PM

I'm still wary. I didn't like Alex in Moonlight, and I didn't even waste my money seeing The Back-Up Plan. I suppose I'm prejudiced, since I grew up watching reruns of the original show and it's pretty much my dad's FAVORITE SHOW EVER (I think it only edges Wild, Wild West out of the slot because there's (surprisingly) fewer scantily-clad women in H5-O) and all I can think is, "Alex O' Loughlin is no Jack Lord."

And I HATE the new theme.

I might watch the pilot of this new version, but I'm pretty sure my love for the original will taint any interest I might have in this remake.

ETA: Also, this may be a dumb thing to be annoyed about, but I find it frustrating that they didn't cast a Polynesian to play Kona. She's supposed to be Polynesian, I should think, with a name like Kona Kalakaua.

Edited by TheSporkWielder, Jun 1, 2010 @ 4:59 PM.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 5:10 PM

I wonder if they'll give McGarrett a nemesis like Wo Fat or Honore Vachon (The V for Vachon trilogy is probably my favorite from the original series).

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 5:46 PM

I wonder if they'll give McGarrett a nemesis like Wo Fat or Honore Vachon (The V for Vachon trilogy is probably my favorite from the original series).

Well from the preview clip it sure looks like the incident which drives him out of the SEALS to head up a special police unit introduces a nemesis. With a new war supplanting the cold war I wonder how long before a Abu Sayyef or Jeemah Islamiya type shows up?

WindSprints

WindSprints

Stalker

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 8:10 PM

I think the preview looks great. I'll be watching.

Here's a Behind the Scenes brief clip and an interview with the cast.

I wonder if they'll give McGarrett a nemesis like Wo Fat or Honore Vachon

James Marsters will be recurring as McGarrett's nemesis named Victor Hesse.

caper24

caper24

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 9:08 PM

Well, I'm a big fan of Grace Park, so I'll probably check out the first couple of episodes at least.

Floridabound

Floridabound

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 9:29 PM

Jack Lord must be spinning over in his grave. The Ventures must be equally thrilled.

Oy.

cmm226

cmm226

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 9:43 PM

I'm in love with the guy and I can't wait to see him. I wasn't planning on watching, but I will for him.

TheSporkWielder

TheSporkWielder

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 9:46 PM

Okay, so maybe I'll stick around for those episodes, too..Damn that man and his hotness.

WindSprints

WindSprints

Stalker

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 10:00 PM

James Marsters Phoenix Comic Con 5 29 10 Hawaii Five-O Small spoilers but nothing much more than the preview.

cmm226

cmm226

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2010 @ 10:23 PM

The preview doesn't look bad, and the last bit is really funny.

Love James Marsters.

Edited by cmm226, Jun 1, 2010 @ 10:23 PM.

selkie

selkie

Fanatic

Posted Jun 2, 2010 @ 9:42 AM

It's actually starting to sound like the remake might not suck, which would be a pleasant surprise.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Jun 2, 2010 @ 6:21 PM

As a full-out Lostie, I'm eager to see Daniel Dae Kim. And they're using the classic theme song, which is pretty much guaranteed to make me smile. So I'll give it a look.

SparksFan59

SparksFan59

Fanatic

Posted Jun 2, 2010 @ 6:26 PM

Along with the updated theme music from the classic show, I also loved the homage to the original McGarrett with the famous phrase, "book 'em, Danno". That made me smile as well as the music.

angelsamongus

angelsamongus

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 2, 2010 @ 8:33 PM

Yea !! A discussion forum for the updated Hawaii 5-O and thank you moderators :-)
This show looks really awesome and choosing Alex as the main lead was a smart choice. Charismatic actor and sexy as all get out !!

Edited by angelsamongus, Jun 5, 2010 @ 4:41 PM.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Aug 31, 2010 @ 10:12 PM

Just to clarify, if you want to talk about the Jack Lord version, please use this thread. This is for the version beginning in Fall 2010.

Hanahope

Hanahope

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2010 @ 1:53 PM

Grace Park is creating a cottage industry out of playing roles previously performed by male actors in remakes of those shows.

Peekay

Peekay

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2010 @ 5:18 PM

I have no strong feelings toward Alex O' Loughlin either way, but for the sake of the other three leads, all of whom I like, I wish this one would do well. The previews actually look decent, which is more than I can say for some other new ones cropping out all over the place.

Grace Park is creating a cottage industry out of playing roles previously performed by male actors in remakes of those shows.

She could definitely do worse, I think? Tricia Helfer's guesting everywhere, and I know Katee's just off 24, but other than Aaron Douglas, I'm not sure who else has got their own show lined up among the Battlestar Galactica alumi. Looking good in the preview, if nothing else.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Sep 2, 2010 @ 8:51 PM

Is any of the show being filmed in Hawaii?

tgrfan23

tgrfan23

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2010 @ 8:59 PM

Is any of the show being filmed in Hawaii?

All of it, actually - that's part of the reason Daniel Dae Kim signed on. His family had relocated to the big island and they didn't want to move.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Sep 2, 2010 @ 9:06 PM

Oh, good! I thought California was going to stand in for the show location like every other show.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2010 @ 9:18 PM

I don't know it seems that most shows set in Hawaii uses the infrastructure left from the original Hawaii 5-O to film there.

selkie

selkie

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2010 @ 8:11 PM

Magnum PI reportedly did that a lot and kept a whole bunch of islands production people employed for another eight years.

Considering how much Hawaii is a character in itself on the original there's just no way they could get away with filming a remake primarily on the mainland. If they do shoot off-island, I'd like to see them go to Asia for the odd episode- Singapore, Hong Kong, Indonesia, or the like.

mybabyaidan

mybabyaidan

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2010 @ 11:40 PM

I miss seeing Grace on tv ( I watched The Border and The Cleaner for her), so I will definitely check this out.

Francie Nolan

Francie Nolan

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 6, 2010 @ 10:05 PM

Will watch for the hot men and the potential slash factor between McGarret/Williams.

Yes, I am shallow.

YumYum

YumYum

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2010 @ 12:34 PM

Will watch for the hot men and the potential slash factor between McGarret/Williams.

Yes, I am shallow.

I'm right there with you in the pool, ankle deep.