E! Fashion Police (Including Emmy Edition)

• Please log in to reply

830 replies to this topic

Ananayel

Ananayel

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2010 @ 9:58 AM

I was surprised to find that a) I laughed out loud at Joan several times (she was on fire!) and b) I really liked Kelly. She looks great and did a really good job. I think she is going to be a regular on the Friday night show, which makes for a nice block after The Soup. I liked both Jay Manuel and Peter Ishkans, so I kind of miss them. Could totally do without Guiliana, and don't know who the new guy is. Bring back Jay or Peter, please, and I'll be happy. They were both strong enough personalities that a fourth person wouldn't be needed and Giuliana could concentrate on her other jobs.

I think the only thing they didn't like about NPH was the lapels on his jacket, which seems like a really lame thing to base Worst Dressed Male on. The mind boggles that Rita and the woman in the black and white sack weren't a tie for Worst Dressed.

ThomasAAnderson

ThomasAAnderson

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 1, 2010 @ 12:29 PM

I didn't particularly care for Joan's commentary. For her to act her though she and Betty White aren't of the same generation was hysterical.
Also her comments about Eva Longoria always being a little "cha-cha" and the Charo references when showing Sofia Vergara on the red carpet were real suspect.

Zackster

Zackster

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 1, 2010 @ 12:31 PM

I love Fashion Police! I'm so glad it will be on weekly. Kelly Osborne is MUCH better than Khloe Kardashian who could only sit there and giggle. Joan Rivers can hardly move her mouth to speak but when she does, it's hilarious. I'm still laughing about "teeth by The Gap."

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Sep 1, 2010 @ 8:20 PM

Joan Rivers is crazy. She said Heidi Klum was old and needed to cover up. She said Tina Fey was a young woman and needed to show more skin. Heidi is 37 & Tina is 40. What the fuck, Joan?

lovinbob

lovinbob

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2010 @ 7:21 AM

I was surprised to see Kelly. I think I've seen her on more worst-dressed lists than best. She's looking great these days, but I'm sure I've heard Joan bashing her plenty of times. That said, she was a good addition to the panel. I truly appreciated her correcting Joan's comparison of Amber Riley to Precious. WTF? No disrespect intended toward Gabourey Sidibe, but they are not even close to the same size. Amber looked beautiful, chose a great dress for her figure, and had it fitted well. And it wasn't just that she looked good for her size--she just looked good, period!

this edition was a failure for me, simply by them not giving the worst dressed female title to Rita Wilson. That she wasn't even in the running for it makes me wonder if someone was trying to kiss ass.

Agreed on Rita. She has always had a slim figure, but she looked large in that frock! And I hated her hair. I was thinking she wasn't Worst Dressed because she isn't relevant enough.

I also loved NPH's look. I liked that he and his partner complemented each other but didn't match. It was so weird to watch the panel declare NPH Worst Dressed Male as the guy on the panel was wearing essentially the same jacket.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Sep 2, 2010 @ 9:52 AM

I truly appreciated her correcting Joan's comparison of Amber Riley to Precious.

But Joan didn't get it. She said okay, she's like two Preciouses then instead of she's like 1/2 Precious. I think Joan has such prejudice against fat that she truly doesn't see the difference between someone who is plus size and someone who is morbidly obese. Or maybe she's just got the beginnings of dementia.

I was glad there was no Melissa, but wished Giuliana would leave as well. Get someone else knowledgeable with a sense of humor, like Kelly.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Sep 2, 2010 @ 10:03 AM

Joan Rivers is crazy. She said Heidi Klum was old and needed to cover up. She said Tina Fey was a young woman and needed to show more skin. Heidi is 37 & Tina is 40.

LOL. I thought Tina looked very elegant and liked that she bucked the trend of major boob spillage. While Klum can pull it off, I thought her dress was not appropriate to the occasion. It covered about as much of her as a towel after stepping out of the shower.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2010 @ 12:51 PM

Joan Rivers is crazy. She said Heidi Klum was old and needed to cover up. She said Tina Fey was a young woman and needed to show more skin. Heidi is 37 & Tina is 40. What the fuck, Joan?

I won't argue that Joan is crazy, but I took her comments to mean that Heidi's too old to be wearing dresses up to her cooter, and Tina's too young to be so covered up (although I liked her gown). I agreed with the Heidi assessment, but I thought Tina looked fine and she has shown more skin in the past.

Regarding too-short dresses on celebrities approaching or past, say, 40, Heidi's not the only guilty one though. Celine Dion comes immediately to mind. The point isn't that they have "great legs" (and that's definitely a matter of opinion), it's that they're not 16 anymore and should dress more appropriately.

Fred Farkel

Fred Farkel

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 2, 2010 @ 1:00 PM

Joan isn't crazy. Her over-the-top vulgarity and the insults are calculated, but the shtick is as old as she is - harkening back to Don Rickles' insult act and the worst of the Friar's Club roasts - back when she actually had a career of sorts. Excusing the outrageous nonsense that just came out of her mouth with "I'm just kidding" is as tired and worn out as she is. The succession of interchangeable nobodies masquerading as celebrities young enough to be her grandchildren - Kelly Osbourne being the latest - is a transparent effort to appeal to a younger audience. Unfortunately, none of them - including Joan - actually knows anything whatsoever about fashion or style, making the whole enterprise a transparent farce. The only way to watch this show and maintain one's sanity is to turn off the sound and watch the pretty pictures of the people on the red carpet. Making this show a regular weekly series can only be described as a really bad joke.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Sep 2, 2010 @ 2:08 PM

I took her comments to mean that Heidi's too old to be wearing dresses up to her cooter, and Tina's too young to be so covered up

But that's not what she said. She should say what she means. And how many times did she react to a dress by saying 'Are you kidding me?' or words to that effect. As a comic, I'm surprised she doesn't choose her words more precisely. She has a lot of bad habits on these shows and on talk show appearances, like saying 'I mean it's just...' and trailing off, never finishing her sentence. Listen the next time you see her and start counting how often she does this.

ReillysRevenge

ReillysRevenge

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 2, 2010 @ 2:55 PM

Never going to be able to see a picture of January Jones again without thinking "Aerate! Aerate!"

I thought Joan was very funny, and apparently some chick on a local radio show did too, because she used about half of Joan's FP quips during her Emmys fashion roundup, without giving Joan any credit.

Ms. Rancic doesn't add a lot of humor, but she does know the background on these stars and starlets, and it's helpful.

What I learned from this show is that little tiny Hollywood girls can rarely pull off runway fashion meant for Amazonians.

Ikatacata

Ikatacata

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 2, 2010 @ 5:51 PM

I was impressed with Kelly Osborne. She's always seemed like such a spoiled Hollywood brat, but she had very sensible comments about fashion and how to wear, or not wear, certain styles. I sure like her as a blonde. Very pretty.

Rancic- seemed like she'd had a long hard day. Not too crazy about her dress either. (Her TV show is boring to the max. Why would I expect her commentary to be any better?)

Joan still has it. She has some real zingers in there. I agree, she is fat-obsessed.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted Sep 2, 2010 @ 10:50 PM

She has a lot of bad habits on these shows and on talk show appearances, like saying 'I mean it's just...' and trailing off, never finishing her sentence

OMG braggtastic! - that is exactly why I started hating Joan way back when she was making appearances on Johnny Carson (making "Liz Taylor is fat" jokes, because those just never got old - ugh). I usually avoid anything with Joan, but wanted to see reactions to two Emmy looks - Rita Hanks, of course! Seriously - I wanted to know if it was a joke, or there was a story or reason behind it. It was just too awful. And for it to not even be nominated as worst? Please. (And can you imagine sitting on that for three hours? Ouch!) And I was also interested in comments on Tina Fey. I thought her look was perfect, head to toe. Who cares if the design looked like hierogliphics (excuse the spelling) - it was just a design. I thought she looked lovely.

And naming NPH for worst was truly lame.

carmelized

carmelized

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2010 @ 1:21 PM

What really gets me is how bad Joan Rivers has sometimes dressed on these shows over the years. She has looked like she has needed a stylist or a fashion intervention on more than one occasion.

Joan also seems to allow her opinion of a person influence her way too often. While I agree that Kate Gosselin seems to be a pretty unlikable person, what does that have to do with what she was wearing? When Joan said, "I just don't like this woman!" it seemed like her opinion was based on that alone. I've seen her do that way too many times, even in the opposite direction. She has sometimes excused people for bad outfits when she personally likes them.

I usually avoid anything with Joan, but wanted to see reactions to two Emmy looks - Rita Hanks, of course! Seriously - I wanted to know if it was a joke, or there was a story or reason behind it. It was just too awful. And for it to not even be nominated as worst? Please.

I know! I love Rita Wilson, but that outfit was all kinds of horrible. I didn't like Anna Paquin's dress either, but it didn't begin to touch the horror that was Rita's.

And naming NPH for worst was truly lame.

I agree. Neil looked pretty good, IMO, and certainly was not the worst dressed. I was surprised and impressed with Kelly Osbourne, but I'm not sure she'll be enough to save this show on a weekly basis.

Energiya Buran

Energiya Buran

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2010 @ 3:03 PM

I didn't see this but oddly the TV guide channel made NPH best dressed man of the evening.

I too was surprised that they all named NPH as the worst one and with Joan's zinger about questioning if he was even gay. It's the Grammy's not the Oscars so I didn't think it was that big of a deal.

Rita looked beyond ridiculous. She's usually a hit but that was a complete miss. Someone wasn't being a nice stylist that evening. What point was she trying to make? And why she didn't pass Anna is beyond me. Heck, I kinda liked Anna P's dress. Sure, it was a bit Matadorish, but I thought it interesting and she has a rockin' body to boot.

LilMsTaylor

LilMsTaylor

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 5, 2010 @ 8:56 AM

Ms. Rancic doesn't add a lot of humor, but she does know the background on these stars and starlets, and it's helpful.

I have to help her, though...Mariska Hargitay...Yes, Jayne Mansfield is her mother, but her father is Hungarian. The woman has been on TV for 11 years and her name is pronounced "Ma-rish-ka." I expect someone who does the news to know how to say her name, especially now. Please lay off the tanner and burn whatever it is you decided to wear on national TV.

Kelly is constructive and not bitchy like Khloe Kardashian. So is the gentleman whose name I don't know. He adds how he would improve the look. Joan is awesome, although I sense that she takes a sip of Haterade before critiquing Christina Hendricks.

irishlulu

irishlulu

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 7, 2010 @ 1:05 PM

I thought some of Joan's comments were horrid! You can be funny without being insulting, but I guess that's her shtick, huh? The Dr. Kevorkian was following Betty White around...um, Joan? she's not that much older than you, honey! Joan livened things up but I feel that she went a bit too far. Hell, I can't stand Kate+8 either, but talk about her (lack of) fashion choice instead of 5 minutes of uterus-bashing! Good for Kelly for sticking up for her.

I thought Kelly was a VERY GOOD addition to the group. She was insightful, respectful, and wasn't afraid to disagree. Very classy. I don't know who the gentleman was, but he didn't offer too much. Juliana is ok, at least she remembers what they've worn previously.

I'd like each of them to offer their own best/worst dressed, then come up with a group choice mutual winner/loser. Didn't they used to do that?

twinmom

twinmom

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2010 @ 7:11 AM

It was so weird to watch the panel declare NPH Worst Dressed Male as the guy on the panel was wearing essentially the same jacket.

That was the point, that NPH's outfit was nice, just not for the red carpet.

When does the new show start?

PilgrimWidow

PilgrimWidow

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 9, 2010 @ 1:28 PM

It premieres this Friday night at 10:30, right after The Soup. Looks like that's the normal time slot each week.

JoleneBrown

JoleneBrown

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 10, 2010 @ 12:33 AM

I just saw a commercial for this show and came here expecting to see everyone talking about Joan Rivers' newest boat of plastic surgery. How can this woman criticize anyone? She looks like Hatchetface in the John Waters movies!

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted Sep 11, 2010 @ 7:35 AM

I don't usually watch this kind of stuff, but putting it on after the The Soup made it an easy preview when I recorded last night's show. And this morning laughed through my coffee. In fact it was funnier than the Soup. The bit about Taylor Swift and Miley Cyrus was fantastic. I didn't realize Joan still had it in her. And Kelly Osbourne redeemed herself with her plaintive little whinge on "just seeing two girls" with the bit about leopard print making you look like a whore.

Is that guy the regular required by State Law gay panelist? I thought Tyra Banks two idiotic sycophantic twits were on Joan's show? New guy doesn't really say much but him gasping for air at some of Joan's material makes it worth the while. Doesn't hurt he is kind of cute.

Forget the clothes, I actually think Joan should take over Chelsea Handler's spot as long as she keeps the claws as sharp and clever as she did last night. I'm still torn as to which was my favorite: "they look like a ventriloquist and her dummy" "I see a girl taking another girl to rehab" or "I'm wearing this hillbilly hooker". All perfectly apt and hysterical.

I'll be recording this next week too to make sure the nasty funny is up to the same level.

juneboy44

juneboy44

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 11, 2010 @ 6:41 PM

Is that guy the regular required by State Law gay panelist? I thought Tyra Banks two idiotic sycophantic twits were on Joan's show? New guy doesn't really say much but him gasping for air at some of Joan's material makes it worth the while. Doesn't hurt he is kind of cute.

LOL! I don't know who he is but I miss Jay Manuel myself! And who better than a gay man to dish on fashion?

I'll be recording this next week too to make sure the nasty funny is up to the same level.

Oh yes. Next week they'll be dishing on the VMA's so I am totally right there with you.

Fatty McButter

Fatty McButter

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 11, 2010 @ 9:29 PM

I thought the show was mildly funny. Joan has built her career on insult comedy, and she still gets off some good ones, but lordy, it was tough watching her struggle to speak and get the words out. Her face has been pulled so tight, I'm surprised she can even open her mouth.

When the hell did Kelly Osbourne become any kind of fashion maven? She looked hideous herself with that giant blond rat's nest on her head. I thought the man on the street thing started off OK (especially when he interviewed the "not gay" guy about fashion week), but then I just muted the segment until it finished.

zippergirl

zippergirl

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 12, 2010 @ 1:18 PM

They really need to get rid of the hideous laugh track. Especially since 85% of the jokes weren't funny at all. A Winona Ryder joke? Really, Joan? Way to stay current. What's next - a Monica Lewinsky reference?

They should just do a 30 minute version of the award show ones instead of having segments, etc.

ratgirlagogo

ratgirlagogo

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2010 @ 4:04 AM

I thought the man on the street thing started off OK (especially when he interviewed the "not gay" guy about fashion week), but then I just muted the segment until it finished.

Until I saw this guy I didn't think it was possible to have a more grating, unfunny man-on-the-street interviewer than Ross the Intern.

Zackster

Zackster

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 25, 2010 @ 12:06 PM

They really need to get rid of the hideous laugh track.

There is no laugh track. What you hear is the crew laughing.

Great move to put this show on weekly. Thank you E! Love teh snark.

ktayb

ktayb

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2010 @ 8:41 PM

I laugh more watching this show than any sitcom on this season.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Sep 26, 2010 @ 10:44 AM

I was suprised to find myself ROFLing at Joan River's commentary about Naomi Camphell looking like "Big Mean Bitch Bird" in that black feather dress.

LeegallyBlonde

LeegallyBlonde

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2010 @ 10:43 PM

First time catching this with Kelly. She comes across really well and I like her best. Guiliana looked like a seal everytime she was doubled over clapping at Joan's jokes. Get a grip. I hate Guiliana, does she really have to be on two E! shows?

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Sep 27, 2010 @ 8:03 PM

That's the chick who was(is?) on Good Morning LA and those diet meal plan ads, right?