E! Fashion Police (Including Emmy Edition)

• Please log in to reply

831 replies to this topic

mooncreek

mooncreek

Stalker

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 2:02 PM

Is it my imagination (or the lighting) or did Joan's hair have yellow streaks in it?

Right before FP this week, I decided to finally watch Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work. The thing that will strike FP viewers is seeing the way she does her jokes (though I recommend the whole thing). Definitely puts what she now does on this show in a different perspective.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 5:40 PM

I've noticed the yellow streaks,too. So it's not your imagination (and apparently not my tv!) I also noticed pink streaks once, in the same places. Trying to give Kelly a run for the money? Hate Kelly's hair, she just can't pull it off.

I'm not loving the hour format, it just doesn't hold my interest. But I did love the girl from Revenge. I don't watch that, so I don't know her, but she cracked me up! "I just channel my mom" was great, and then to follow it with "she doesn't watch tv, she'll never know I said that!" was cute.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 8:12 PM

My gawd, why is Kelly's hair getting worse every time I watch this?

That sheer dress was wretched, but so was everyone backpedaling when the girl wearing it made a surpise appearance.

I was totally grossed out by those tattoos. I really didn't need to know that old actress had s tramp stamp!

Luckylyn

Luckylyn

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 8:27 PM

I think I could get past the purple hair color, but Kelly's hair looks damaged and dull. If it looked healthy and shiny, the purple might work.

Jon N

Jon N

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:49 PM

I really like Ashley something... from Revenge, very funny girl. Also love Rachel Dratch, and I did like that Melody Thornton has the ability to be poked fun of and go along with it and laugh, because that dress was horrible and she knew it...hence the only compliments she admitted she got was great boobs.

Okay, I have a new found admiration of George for willing to call Giuliana old and Kelly unsophisticated in one talk. And I'm really liking Giuliana in that she kisses ass and is willing to turn around and snark on someone. She also doesn't take stuff as seriously as Kelly "but it's hurrrh" does.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 5:07 AM

Ugh, speaking of Kelly again, her grudge with a certain songstress is beyond tedious.

mooncreek

mooncreek

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 12:37 PM

Considering one of her other jobs involves kissing celeb ass, Giuliana has gotten a lot more comfortable trashing a look. Kelly has turned into the one with issues calling out friends.

Also, congrats to Giuliana and Bill expecting a kid through gestational surrogate.

twinmom

twinmom

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 2:01 PM

I would like Kelly's hair better if her clothing complimented the color instead of clashing with it as it does most of the time.

I also knew when George said that Giuliana could not wear that dress, that there was no way he could explain why in a way that would not sound insulting. Yes, she is too mature to wear that dress and the actress that was wearing it was age appropriate for it. But he couldn't explain it well. He knew it, Giuliana knew it and was enjoying him dig himself deeper into it. You can tell they enjoy each other.

mooncreek

mooncreek

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:40 AM

Raise your hand if you completely forgot sbout the second replacement host upon realizing that Jack Osbourne is really a father - and that while I know he's completely different now from The Osbournes' days, it's still the image I get upon hearing his name.

Nicki Minaj's looks give me migraines. Not about her lack of fashion sense but because it always involves so many bright colors (I was thankful the show didn't use that top with the kaleidoscope-effect boobies and Muppet boots I'd seen elsewhere). Even Katy Perry's hair would say there's too much color.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 10:23 AM

I kinda rolled my eyes when they announced Kelly had left because Jack's wife (I presume, not he) gave birth to a baby) and they just happened to have a celebrity waiting in the wings. Would the 30 minutes left on the show have made a difference?

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 12:12 PM

Jack Osbourne is married with a kid? Holy crap.

redheadgal

redheadgal

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 11:24 PM

I like to see what celebrities are wearing and I love fashion but I just can't anymore. This show has turned into nothing but a set-up for Joan's jokes, which are getting meaner and even worse, they are less funny each week. The amount of fashion they cover is miniscule. I finally broke my Kardashian guilty-pleasure about six months ago and now this show is off my DVR. If I could just give up my Glee fix, I'm good.

Edited because fix and mix are different.

Edited by redheadgal, Apr 30, 2012 @ 11:25 PM.

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 7:35 AM

Love Vanessa Williams. I would rather have her than Joan hosting this; she's pretty funny and almost as candid as Joan, without the gross out factor. Although I was getting a laugh out of the 2 of them praising the power of Botox.

juneboy44

juneboy44

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 7:02 PM

Why didn't they cover the Met Gala this week? I saw it covered on ET Thursday and just assumed it would be the "hot ticket" this week.

Love Vanessa Williams. I would rather have her than Joan hosting this; she's pretty funny and almost as candid as Joan, without the gross out factor. Although I was getting a laugh out of the 2 of them praising the power of Botox.

WORD! Vanessa was a good get for the show and seemed natural and comfortable in the setting!

This show has turned into nothing but a set-up for Joan's jokes, which are getting meaner and even worse, they are less funny each week.

Just do like most of us do on the board: mute it when Joan comes on and unmute for the remainder of the panel!

If I could just give up my Glee fix, I'm good.

I gave up beginning of the season.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 9:56 PM

This is weird. I happened to see Kelly on some moring show as a panelist. I probably wouldn't have recognised her because she had normal hair and was actually dressed well.

Chit Chat

Chit Chat

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 4:15 PM

Although I enjoy this show, I really don't like the hour-long format. Thirty minutes at a time was enough for me.

paganalexandria

paganalexandria

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 6:34 PM

This is my first time in the Fashion Police thread and really surprised by the Joan hate. She is what makes this show for me (admit to cringing every time Joan Rangers is used). She kills me with her outrageous and mean jokes. Joan Rivers has been around forever but I just really discovered her this year. Love seeing someone her age that fierce.

Chit Chat

Chit Chat

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 6:59 PM

I find Joan funny as hell too! Her biting remarks are actually pretty much dead-on for me as far as how terrible some of the movie stars dress while out in public or on the red carpet. Some of them really do need new stylists IMO.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 11:33 AM

Watch a few weeks... you'll get tired of Joan's jokes eventually.

Quiddler

Quiddler

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 6:48 AM

Seconded, Ubi. After a while you start to notice the patterns and how she goes back to the same themes over and over again. In addition, it's the 'mean' that turns me off. Snarky is funny, but she (and the others) often get downright mean, and that's a turnoff.

This tweet from Kelly Osborne pretty much confirms what I've been thinking all along (emphasis mine):

stop this & watch tonights @e_FashionPolice & take up your issues with the who said it! In the end of the day it's a comedy show lighten up!

Annnnd, exactly why I stopped watching, Kelly. I was stoopid and tuned in for the Fashion; you guys turned it into the Comedy Central Roast. *sigh*

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 9:29 AM

Annnnd, exactly why I stopped watching, Kelly. I was stoopid and tuned in for the Fashion; you guys turned it into the Comedy Central Roast. *sigh*

Yep. The fashion is just a backdrop, a jumping off point for Joan's act. And I've never found Joan funny, all the way back to her appearances on Johnny Carson where her act basically went "Elizabeth Taylor is fat! I mean... It's just..." - say that seven different ways (always remembering to trail off with "I mean" or "Its' just") and that was her set. As a career move, it was brilliant - being mean about fat ET generated controversy and that's money in the bank for a comedian! But mean has to be funny or clever to work. To me, Joan hasn't gotten any funnier or more clever with her digs, so an hour of her? I can't. They should have stuck with a half hour, kept fashion in the foreground and jokes in the background. If they really wanted time for more Joan, they could have kept the show at a half hour but found a good ten minutes if Kelly, George and Guilliana reacted to Joan like normal people and not braying donkeys. So fake.

marleyfan

marleyfan

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 12:55 PM

I was stoopid and tuned in for the Fashion; you guys turned it into the Comedy Central Roast. *sigh*

I have to say when she interviewed Miss Piggy, I cracked up. I can't believe I'm saying this about a puppet, but Miss Piggy gave as good as she got, telling Joan that she hadn't come armed with dinosaur jokes silenced Joan pretty quickly.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 7:36 PM

This tweet from Kelly Osborne pretty much confirms what I've been thinking all along (emphasis mine):

stop this & watch tonights @e_FashionPolice & take up your issues with the who said it! In the end of the day it's a comedy show lighten up!

I'd like to buy a vowel, please. The last sentence is the only thing that made sense.

they could have kept the show at a half hour but found a good ten minutes if Kelly, George and Guilliana reacted to Joan like normal people and not braying donkeys. So fake.

That's another thing I hate; them laughing for their jobs and Kelly feigning an "Oh. My. Gawd!" reaction. Ugh.

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 7:01 PM

Watch a few weeks... you'll get tired of Joan's jokes eventually.

I have tried to be nice about this show, but it's gotten to the point at which every one of Joan's jokes is "Jennifer Aniston is pining for Brad Pitt", "Rhianna is a whore, but we love her", "Madonna is old", ob-gyn jokes, etc. Another thing I am tired of is, Giuliana and Kelly saying, "....but that's her thing/style." (i.e., "Nicki Minaj is wearing a bathmat and a toilet cozy on her head, but that's her style.") Either criticize or don't, but quit qualifying it.

Also:
Kelly Osbourne's hair has been purple for well over a damned month. Enough. You bet Joan you could wear it, you've worn it. It makes you look like an old lady from the 50's.

George Katsiopolis needs to do something besides wear tight cardigans/jackets with bow ties. Wonder how long he's going to deal with being Joan's sidekick? My favorite parts of the show are when it's revealed that George dressed some celebrity in something truly horrible, and he's called out about it.

Giuliana looks great, considering all she's been going through. Hers is the only one whose opinion matters to me, because she actually seems to care what is being worn.

I am not crazy about the 'closet raid', even though it brought Dita Von Teese to my screen again. Meh, not everyone has interesting stuff, at least not worth the time to film it.

Quiddler

Quiddler

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 2:46 AM

George Katsiopolis needs to do something besides wear tight cardigans/jackets with bow ties.

But, AtlanticVamp, "that's his thing/style!" ;)

I'd like to buy a vowel, please. The last sentence is the only thing that made sense.

ubi - yeah, it was a little out of context. This was a tweet at the end of a "conversation" with another person on twitter who called out Kelly for something that she didn't actually say. So, Kelly's defense seems to be: a) Don't yell at me for something said by a different cast member! and b) even if I had said it, so what? It's a "comedy" show! We can be mean because it's comedy!

Yes, because we've seen how well you've been able to handle Christina calling you "fat" 5 years ago.... (eye roll)

twinmom

twinmom

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 12:29 PM

I wouldn't mind Kelly's lavender hair if her clothes didn't clash with it so often.

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 1:31 AM

Yes, because we've seen how well you've been able to handle Christina calling you "fat" 5 years ago.... (eye roll)

Talk about holding a grudge. My eyes nearly rolled out of my head when they were critiquing something Xtina wore on The Voice, and Kelly got snotty about "I was never THAT fat."

No, you were fatter. I have the DVDs to prove it. "The Osbournes" Season 1, anyone?

See, I feel like these are the things you say when you're flipping through a magazine at the checkout while waiting in line. You don't necessarily want to go on national TV and do it. But Joan has been doing it for decades, so everyone gives her a pass. Kelly's a Honey Badger--she don't give a shit. Giuliana keeps her opinions mostly nice, so the only one who stands to lose something if they offend someone on the show is George, who's a stylist.

Ty

Ty

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 10:38 AM

More like 10 years ago!

Edited by Ty, May 17, 2012 @ 10:39 AM.

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 2:59 AM

Okay, E!. Joan could have sat this one out. She had a sore throat, was losing her voice, and they still insisted on using her on the show. Nothing like hearing nails on a chalkboard for fifteen minutes before I had to bail.

Jaclynovascotia

Jaclynovascotia

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 1:12 PM

Joan can come up with some screamers, for sure, but you have to ask yourself if it's worth wading through rat-infested waters to get to a vacation retreat on the other side of the lake. I loved "So many textures....like Seal's face", for example, because it came out of nowhere and that's what makes jokes funny, IMO. (other than the fact that if Seal heard it, he'd probably die a little inside). But Joan tells so many jokes that a nine year old could come up with if they had a dirty mind (like Eva Longoria has a gray pussy on her lap so the ad must be for hair dye) that I'm often finding her tiresome before she gets to one that is actually worth telling. Another thing is she takes so long to set up a joke that sometimes I know what the joke's going to be before she tells it, which robs it of spontaneity which robs it of humour.