Quints by Surprise

• Please log in to reply

232 replies to this topic

Writer13

Writer13

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2010 @ 9:41 AM

If there's one thing TLC has taught me, it's that I could not handle more than one kid. I got a migraine from listening to those babies scream and cry.

Did they mention the sperm donor in these new episodes? I didn't catch it, if they did.

Baylor

Baylor

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 31, 2010 @ 9:50 AM

Yeah, he even said he knew they couldn't afford that house long term when they got in it. How reckless was that? What if something happened like a fire etc. ? Then what? Any hope of a profit would be gone. Flipping homes/ renting them out is only a really good idea if you can pay full in cash and/or have lots of extra money to play with. If you have to stretch your current finances for a maybe then to me that's just too much of a gamble.

No matter what, he probably had to do alot more work for his eMBA then Bryan Masche with his "full MBA" from the UOP.

Sea

Sea

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2010 @ 11:22 AM

My husband and I both cracked up at the shot of them driving with the big-ass stroller on the car rack the same way people normally carry things like bikes.

Gigi43

Gigi43

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2010 @ 6:34 PM

I really think the Jones wouldn't choose this either but due to having catastrophically bad timing they really don't seem to have much choice. The first special actually had me in tears because to me it seemed obvious that Dad would much rather just go to work and do his job than take help but due to one of the worst financial meltdowns in history has had to do things he never would have thought of before.

Oh they chose this route alright. The father has had a blog about the Quints since before these kids were born! You don't do that in the wake of Jon + Kate unless you're looking for attention, free stuff, and a show. Also. when you buy a house of sound mind that you know you probably won't be able to afford to fully pay off before any sort've financial crisis, which he admitted too, I have no sympathy for that. They knew what they were doing but wanted to have the shiney new house anyway. Sorry, but there are people out there who are loosing their careers after 10/15/20 yrs of working, living in their means, only having the amount of kids said job could afford that now can't pay their mortage/bills because of the current situation with the ecomomy and aren't resorting to sell their family to a network to fix things. I'll feel sorry for those people.

I will say Ethan is actually less annoying on TV than his blog.

Perez Hilton put something up about them on his site.
http://perezhilton.c...about-multiples

Edited by Gigi43, Aug 31, 2010 @ 8:17 PM.

LurkerNoMore

LurkerNoMore

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2010 @ 7:10 AM

Why, why, why, is the fertility industry still enabling people to have higher-order multiples, aka 'litters'?!?! Now that we as a nation have 'multiple' sets of quints, sextuplets, etc., isn't it enough? There has to be a way to lessen the likelihood that someone will have this many babies.

That being said, I'm addicted to these shows, including J&K+8 and Raising Sextuplets, just for the train-wreck factor. I just cannot imagine having to raise that many children.

I didn't see the 1st episode ... did they ever explain why they have everything set up upstairs for the babies? I heard the mom say that the main level wasn't really babyproofed since the babies were hardly ever down there, and then I saw how they had all the high chairs upstairs as well. Probably makes sense. Just wondering if they specifically addressed it.

I do feel so bad for the older siblings in these families. You just know that they are going to be messed-up.

Fionas2

Fionas2

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 1, 2010 @ 8:32 AM

I found this show to be really, really boring! I had a hard time paying attention, and I'll watch anything.

That must be a massive home. I was surprised when the mom (can't recall her name) said the kids rarely come down from upstairs!

Sea

Sea

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2010 @ 8:40 AM

I would guess that getting 5 babies up and down those stairs regularly would be a giant pain in the ass, and it's just easier to keep them mostly upstairs and bring things to them until they can navigate the stairs on their own.

hope4all

hope4all

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 1, 2010 @ 9:27 AM

Typically, I don't watch these shows, because I feel "ewww" afterwards. I mean it just doesn't seem right, but hey I'm no saint either so I'm not here to judge.

Anyway, the show was on after the cake show or whatever and I watched it. Let me just say that I love the little baby Jack. He is so cute. I am probably suffering from having old "kids" who are so not cute anymore. Believe me having a 16 year old son who has a mouth worse than any sailor- really doesn't do anything for me. But I do remember when he was younger, *sigh*. My oldest who is 18 (and a girl) was never the behavior issue that my son is, but I do lament for those easier younger years.

However, back to the show I just really wish there was another way for them to provide for their families. Of course, you know some of us do without. Over here at the hope household no one wears abercrombie. You learn to economize, and no I don't have six kids but even with the two I do, you learn to budget. Because, believe me there is no money tree in the back yard to live like that.

Writer13

Writer13

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2010 @ 10:06 AM

Jack was pretty cute. Poor guy, stuck among all those girls.

I saw that they put those ugly ass Duggar headband/bows on the girls. Ugh.

Edited by Writer13, Sep 1, 2010 @ 10:06 AM.

nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 1, 2010 @ 11:13 AM

I love the way they keep hinting aout not having enough money for this or that.They might as well just say hey donate donate donate we want handouts.

LurkerNoMore

LurkerNoMore

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2010 @ 12:43 PM

He is so cute.

I think they are all pretty cute. My uterus is aching because my kids are also older and I just love watching babies/toddlers. Stay away from the headbands on the girls, though! Totally not needed.

Casey and Ethan seem pretty decent, especially compared to Jenny and Bryan 'dysfunctional' Masche of "Raising Sextuplets". I like how the real estate agent called her out on her 'champagne' tastes when they were looking at more modest homes. She says that she knows they don't need the stuff and the big home, but you know that she still wants that stuff. Honestly, if I were her, I would not want to move either. Not only since moving is one of the most stressful things in life, but because you are going to need space later.

It was cute seeing the kids being so fascinated with the work being done around the house. Since they don't get out much, you can tell they are just thrilled when they do get out or see something or someone different. The iron railings of their main living area upstairs sort of scare me though. They have pointy accents that I think the kids would bump on all of the time.

It is too early to tell, but again, comparing them to the Masches, they seem to have their act sort of together, and the kids seem a little calmer and the entire atmosphere less chaotic.

Baylor

Baylor

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 1, 2010 @ 1:49 PM

For some reason, their real estate agent rubs me the wrong way. I don't like him.

3 is enough

3 is enough

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2010 @ 2:20 PM

I just caught the end of the show. Can someone please tell me why the little boy, Jack, wears a helmet of some sort?

tv viewer gal

tv viewer gal

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 1, 2010 @ 2:23 PM

Jack has an oddly shaped head from his positioning in the womb so he has to wear that helmet for a few months.

The real estate agent didn't bother me but I felt sorry for him. Seemed like they gave him grief about kicking them out when really all he was doing was his job of trying to sell THEIR house.

It seems like they sure have a lot of volunteers/help. They're lucky.

hope4all

hope4all

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 1, 2010 @ 2:45 PM

I think they are all pretty cute. My uterus is aching because my kids are also older and I just love watching babies/toddlers

That was my feeling. In another life, if I had more money, better marriage, or more time I would love to have more babies. However, given that I've made it this far, especially with my more challenging #2 child, I rather babysit or spoil someone else's baby and then given them back. I've got to find a volunteer position at a hospital or daycare or something.

Also, about the realtor, the feeling you get is that he is Mr. Metrosexual. He is the type of man who has his clothes just so, hair just right, the perfect car, the perfect house and all the "nice" things in life. Probably has no kids are animals because that wouldn't be becoming. And he carries certain "airs" about himself. So he comes off as particularly stuck up in this situation in contrast to this family and their issues. But I do understand all of his comments about preparing the house for sale, they are what any legit realtor would say.

LurkerNoMore

LurkerNoMore

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2010 @ 5:14 PM

It seems like they sure have a lot of volunteers/help. They're lucky.

They are lucky, but it seems like many families do get help like this, especially if they belong to a church. The Gosselins had people who did the laundry early on, plus others who held the babies, fed them, etc. Then there was that family that starts with an M, somewhere in the midwest, who had lots of kids, and I remember a TV-special (like 20/20) showing how there were volunteers in the house 24/7, with a very elaborate schedule.

The real estate agent is a straight-shooter. In this economy, he is probably thinking, "How in the hell am I going to sell this house?" Did they say what they were listing it for? Wish I knew exactly how big it is, how big the lot is, etc. (Since I'm addicted to both TLC and HGTV, they could do a cross-over show just about selling the house.)

mswestern

mswestern

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 1, 2010 @ 6:42 PM

Then there was that family that starts with an M, somewhere in the midwest, who had lots of kids, and I remember a TV-special (like 20/20) showing how there were volunteers in the house 24/7, with a very elaborate schedule.

I believe you're thinking of the McCaughey family of Carlisle, Iowa, who had the world's first surviving septuplets in 1997.

hope4all

hope4all

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 2, 2010 @ 7:20 AM

Found an older article about them:

http://www.examiner....quints-turn-one

fountainof

fountainof

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 3, 2010 @ 8:04 AM

I am not sure if I liked the show or not. The kids are cute and just about my daughter's age so I can relate to some of the behaviours. It does bug me that people talk about being broke and not making enough to cover the year's expenses and still buy things wasteful like ugly toddler headbands. IDK, I am very fiscally conservative so the openingly have excess while you know your income comes short to meet your needs is too risky to me and I cannot sympathsize unless you are doing everything to pinch pennies.

I don't see how paying for and getting an eMBA is going to open tons of doors for the Dad. The program just doesn't seem specialized enough to really open specific doors unless you are already in a position and it can help you advance (i.e. not like getting an MD or something). But maybe he has specific career goals in mind; however, it wasn't mentioned it was just mentioned that the MBA will help him get a better job and change fields and since an MBA doesn't really have a specific field of application it is hard not to think they are assuming getting an MBA is a magic financial cure all.

I found keeping everything, even the highchairs upstairs off-putting. Sure taking kids up the stairs could be hard but having them have to eat so separate from the regular dining area seems weird to me. Do the older daughter, Mom and Dad then eat downstairs? I can see keeping a play-room upstairs but then I wonder how they ever get anything done as I am sure one parent sits with the kids. I am sure quints make things harder but everyone looking down at Dad in the office was sad. My father did a Master's when we were toddlers and did the school work when we were asleep, he never shooed us away. Most parent students seem to do this, get up at 4am to do reports or stay up late at night to complete work they don't make their spouse do everything and live off in another room for 1.5 years.

ETA: I also found some of the costs mentioned misleading. How does it cost $10k a toddler when your aren't paying for daycare? Are the healthcare costs extreme or something? Maybe they are including having a large home, bigger car? Also it says they change 50 diapers a day, really still??? What toddler gets 10 diaper changes a day, that is insane to me I would say unless someone is sick or something it would be around 5 a day on average. The stuff just seems exagerated to me or they are just wasteful people who are broke but still spend $50k a year on the kids stuff alone.

Edited by fountainof, Sep 3, 2010 @ 8:12 AM.

YellowOctober

YellowOctober

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 3, 2010 @ 8:23 AM

I don't see how paying for and getting an eMBA is going to open tons of doors for the Dad.

I read in an article that his education was being offered free of charge, on account of him being a father to quints. It was around the time the babies were born, and the community was giving them all kinds of other freebies and perks, as well. I can't find the article, but I will definitely ETA if I do.

cissyboo

cissyboo

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2010 @ 10:04 AM

YellowOctober-The tuition issue is mentioned in the article link provided by hope4all. The article said Baylor gave Ethan a scholarship for the cost of the eMBA program they offer in Austin.

*edited to clarify what was mentioned in hope4all's linked article.

Edited by cissyboo, Sep 3, 2010 @ 10:08 AM.

fountainof

fountainof

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 3, 2010 @ 10:11 AM

It's mentioned in the article link provided by hope4all. The article said Baylor gave Ethan a scholarship for the cost of the eMBA program they offer in Austin.

I read that after my post. Still even though it was free it still isn't a magic golden ticket like the show seemed to imply it would be.

YellowOctober

YellowOctober

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 3, 2010 @ 11:10 AM

Thanks for the clarification, cissyboo.

Still even though it was free it still isn't a magic golden ticket like the show seemed to imply it would be.

How so? I've only seen the show in clips online, because I can never seem to catch it. Have they shown the father studying or writing papers? Is this show more kid-centered or more adult-centered like the Masches?

Edited by YellowOctober, Sep 3, 2010 @ 11:10 AM.

spalding

spalding

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 3, 2010 @ 11:12 AM

fountainof:
since an MBA doesn't really have a specific field of application it is hard not to think they are assuming getting an MBA is a magic financial cure all

Actually, most legit MBA programs allow one to specialize in fields such as Marketing, Human Resources, Finance, Supply Chain Management, Accounting, Taxation, etc. Most eMBA programs I have seen are general-study and don't offer opportunities to specialize.

I know few people who were able to (1) get an MBA and then magically change career paths or (2) be successful with an MBA earned straight from undergrad with no work experience (I know a couple of people who did this, but they were top of their classes at schools like Wharton). The most successful people I know found the field they wanted to be in, got some work experience, went back to school for the MBA either part-time or full-time and then continued to grow in that field, the MBA helped them get over the hump to advance quickly & earn higher salaries.

In the real world, in any economy, I don't know how you can go from home builder/project manager to "home builder/project manager with eMBA" and expect to get some great, new, high-salaried job. Though in Ethan's case, it'll probably happen for the cameras.

(So this guy ended up with quintuplets and that automatically means he deserves a free education? When his existing "business sense" put the family into a financial hole? Lucky guy.)

fountainof

fountainof

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 3, 2010 @ 3:46 PM

In the real world, in any economy, I don't know how you can go from home builder/project manager to "home builder/project manager with eMBA" and expect to get some great, new, high-salaried job. Though in Ethan's case, it'll probably happen for the cameras.

Yes, that is what I was thinking. It appeared he lost $75k income a year and as they have a pretty lush lifestyle it looks like he is needing to replace an income of at least $150K with no experience in anything else but construction. IDK, maybe jobs pay better in Texas then they do in my province because jobs over $100k annually are not a dime a dozen around here and an MBA in and of itself will not guarantee you immediately land one. On the other hand, if you are already working in a field an MBA could propel you to the next level.

How so? I've only seen the show in clips online, because I can never seem to catch it. Have they shown the father studying or writing papers? Is this show more kid-centered or more adult-centered like the Masches?

The show said Ethan's income went down by $75k last year and they don't appear to be starving and the power hasn't been shut off on the huge home so he must still make some money and would guess he would have made well over $100k before last year. The couple implied that the MBA was taken to get a better job and seemed to assume having the degree in and of itself would do this.

Edited by fountainof, Sep 3, 2010 @ 3:50 PM.

Emily Thrace

Emily Thrace

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 5, 2010 @ 7:30 PM

The show said Ethan's income went down by $75k last year and they don't appear to be starving and the power hasn't been shut off on the huge home so he must still make some money and would guess he would have made well over $100k before last year. The couple implied that the MBA was taken to get a better job and seemed to assume having the degree in and of itself would do this.

I also suspect that its more about getting into a more stable field where his income would be fixed and less reliant on market conditions. I think hes looking to get out of construction or at least into an area where he would have a fixed salary and more stability.

Baylor

Baylor

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 6, 2010 @ 11:39 PM

Well, we got to see their parents help them out more, that was nice. Still very different kinda help though from the Masches.

Really felt sorry for any everyone else on that plane with them though.

bybrandy

bybrandy

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2010 @ 7:04 AM

I'm not a big proponent on baby jail but this seems like the kind of situation perfect for a play pen. You run two babies downstairs you toss them in the play pen. You run up and grab another two babies and toss them in the play pen then you run up for baby five grab your keys and get them loaded in the car before running back to said play pen for the next two to be loaded in. Heck I'd probably keep a play pen in the garage for car loading.

ish

ish

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2010 @ 10:20 AM

Heck I'd probably keep a play pen in the garage for car loading.

I would have one in every room. They are fab to keep a baby corraled while on the phone, cleaning the bathroom etc.

Edited by ish, Sep 7, 2010 @ 10:23 AM.

camom

camom

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2010 @ 10:30 AM

I'm glad they made the effort to take the children to see their great-grandparents. The grandfather getting so emotional got to me, and Ethan spoke so lovingly of him. I hope they took tons of pictures.