4-12: "Guilty As Charged" 2010.08.26

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

33 replies to this topic

TWoP Roxy

TWoP Roxy

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2010 @ 2:18 PM

From USA.com:

Fiona attempts to find Jesse and convince him to meet with Michael. Meanwhile, Michael helps a criminal defense attorney rescue his daughter after she is kidnapped by one of his clients.

hollyhox

hollyhox

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2010 @ 9:01 PM

I’m disappointed that they put a “job-of-the-week” in this episode. It would have been better if it had dealt with Vaughn and Simon and Jesse and Barrett and Management and how and why spies are getting burned. When we first heard about the little girl kidnap plot, I had high hopes that it was a setup by Jesse to ambush Michael and the gang. That would have ruled, but instead, they make Jesse a mopey-assed wuss after finding out Michael burned him. I don’t buy it. They’ve been pushing the idea that Michael is turning more evil by dealing with Vaughn, and having Jesse be as mad at Michael as Michael is with the people who burned him would’ve driven that idea home. They could have at least not told us that Jesse shot Michael to kill the guy behind him, and left us wondering if it was revenge.

Also, Robert Patrick was barely even in the episode. If you're going to cast Robert Patrick, use him, for fuck's sake!

Edited by hollyhox, Aug 26, 2010 @ 9:04 PM.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Aug 26, 2010 @ 9:05 PM

Gotta love Jesse 'helping' Michael. That was passive-aggressive as all get out.
I love seeing Michael Rooker, but a drug kingpin from Carol City should be about as white as 'Bumpy' Johnson or Frank Lucas.

deadeye85k

deadeye85k

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 26, 2010 @ 10:24 PM

Also, Robert Patrick was barely even in the episode. If you're going to cast Robert Patrick, use him, for fuck's sake!

Hey, at least he got to do more than Michael Ironside did at the beginning ep of the season!

Whiteotter

Whiteotter

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2010 @ 10:44 PM

I was hoping they'd have some kind of Terminator faceoff 'twixt Robert Patrick and Garret Dillahunt. Alas! Such stunt-casting awesomeness is more appropriate for Psych, I guess.

I had strong reservations about the addition of Coby Bell this season, but he's now my favorite character by far on the show... which may or may not be a good thing. His acting style is so naturalistic, I feel like the others - in particular, Jeffrey Donovan - seem to be over-acting. YMMV, of course, but I'd definitely like to see him stay on next season. Hell, I'd like Fi to switch her romantic sights to him.

That said, I thought BN blew some opportunities with this ep, script-wise. Jesse was downright menacing in the penultimate ep, but that tension cooled significantly in the finale. He follows them in his car and glares at Sam & Fi meaningfully? Where's the malice in that? And by the time Madeline shows up to plead with him, forget it. They should have lost all the Jesse scenes except for the final one, IMO. Sam's revelation that Jesse was shooting through Michael to hit the bad guy behind him could have waited until next season. When Royal Pains has a more suspenseful final scene than BN... yikes.

That said, I'm glad Jesse did actually follow through on his threat. He did, in fact, shoot the guy who burned him. ;)

jediknight

jediknight

Stalker

Posted Aug 27, 2010 @ 3:16 AM

You have a group of badasses in Sam, Fiona and Jesse and not one of them thinks to shoot Robert Patrick?

That would have ruled, but instead, they make Jesse a mopey-assed wuss after finding out Michael burned him. I don’t buy it.

I like to think it was because of Madeline. Jesse did say he'd shoot her, but I didn't buy it. Fi even said she'd take Madeline because Jesse won't shoot her. When Madeline stood there and told him to wait on shooting Michael because he's saving a little girl, that flipped the switch. I can buy that he wouldn't do it despite all that talk. He got close to Michael, Fi, Sam and Madeline, and knows that Mikey, Sam and Fi at their hearts are good people, and didn't mean to burn him. The confrontation with Madeline drove that home for him.

They’ve been pushing the idea that Michael is turning more evil by dealing with Vaughn

I may be in the minority, but I thought they did that better in one episode last season, than all of this season. It was the Larry episode, in particular when he was willing to give Gilroy all the flight data.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Aug 27, 2010 @ 3:45 AM

Well, bye Robert Patrick, I assume (he sure looked dead at the end.) I guess this is the show's thing: they like casting recognizable faces (Michael Ironside this year and even Richard Schiff way back in season one), only to kill them off real quick. I guess it's a decent pay for those kind of gigs...

The episode was decent, but it was kind of meh for a summer finale. It was more or less a typical "job of the week" episode, with the Jesse scenes thrown in every now and then, and then all the crazy shit after the final break. And while all that was good, even that wasn't as good as past summer finales (Micheal's loft exploding in front of him, Fiona getting kidnapped and Michael busting some caps into Strickler). I guess the suspense is who took Simon's bible at the end. Interesting...

Yeah, I bet Jesse really loved getting to "help" Michael in that way. Although, while he can take out goons with ease, it seems Robert Patrick was a different story (must be all that mad T-1000 skills!) I am curious to see what will happen with him. I liked that Fi actually brought Madeline to talk with him, because I can buy that it would be her that will calm him down.

I guess I could complain that Sam didn't have much to do, but hey, he's got a TV movie coming up! Chuck Finley needs his rest!

Oh, and way to not listen to Michael and fuck things up, Vaughn. I hope Michael locks you in a room with an unrestrained Simon and throws away the key.

Edited by thuganomics85, Aug 27, 2010 @ 9:00 PM.

Bec

Bec

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2010 @ 4:54 AM

They could have at least not told us that Jesse shot Michael to kill the guy behind him, and left us wondering if it was revenge.

I know! I don't say this often, but: shut up, Sam.

Okay, this show doesn't have to be totally realistic, but uh, as far as I know you can't aim to "not kill" someone when you shoot them in the chest. It's not "tricky", it can't be done. Too many variables in the human body. Not everyone's major organs and arteries are positioned exactly the same.

Oh well, I'll pretend Jesse really was trying to kill Michael. That'll make me feel better. Hee.

Michael and Jesse didn't fight. I feel gypped.

petunia846

petunia846

Stalker

Posted Aug 27, 2010 @ 6:06 AM

So at the end of the previous episode Jesse's holding a gun to Fiona's head and she's all upset and teary, but at the start of this one the three of them are just chilling out in the open at Carlitos? Doesn't that seem a little dangerous to them? Wasn't Jesse even the one who actually went back and checked out the kitchen staff there? They must not really have much faith in Jesse's determination or ability to carry out his threats against them.

I didn't think it was a terrible episode, but there was nothing that really grabbed me either. This was Jesse's worst episode ever (which is really saying something). Grow up, whiny brat.

Bec

Bec

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2010 @ 7:02 AM

They must not really have much faith in Jesse's determination or ability to carry out his threats against them.

Ha! Everyone seemed so unconcerned about the death threats from this guy who knows where they live and hang out. Even Maddie was like "Kill my son a few days later, mmmkay? (As if!)" I was hoping Jesse would actually surprise them by being much more dangerous than they all apparently think he is, but no such luck.

miashay

miashay

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 27, 2010 @ 7:37 AM

I was actually quite happy with Jesse's role in this episode. After last week (with Fi's "he's gonna make us pay"), I was worried they would toss all his characterization, in favor of some spy vs spy action between him and Michael. IMO, the guy's been a giant puppy all season, and not nearly as good Michael, Sam and Fi. I liked that they had him sulking around, but not because he was forming some giant, elaborate revenge plot (like Michael would be doing). Seemed like he was just keeping an eye on things, and waiting for his moment. That his moment required him to shoot Michael, was just icing on the cake.

I normally don't mind the nonsensical storylines that surround Michael's burn notice, but I'm really hoping this stuff with Vaughn, the bible, Simon, and Barrett gets cleared up in the second half of the season. It's gotten a little too complicated for my fun, summer show.

I loved Michael encouraging his client to pull favors from his clients. I was disappointed we didn't get to see the submersible explode (for some reason, I was convinced it would happen). Finally, I was glad that Maddy stuck around, and was able to put a button on the Jesse situation. Overall, I liked it but, I'm pretty easy to please.

lizzie b

lizzie b

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 27, 2010 @ 8:11 AM

I feel like the others - in particular, Jeffrey Donovan - seem to be over-acting

Whiteotter I agree with this 100%. I find myself actually cringing a bit embarrassingly sometimes when JD does an accent or tries to act like a tough guy. It is actually a little bit cringeworthy most, if not all, of the time.

I don't mind Jesse but I don't really like him either. I like the fact that it creates a better dynamic numbers-wise. Also, having 4 people to do a JotW seems a little (little!) more plausible to pull off then just Sam, Fi and Michael.

2ndthought

2ndthought

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 27, 2010 @ 8:48 AM

I feel like the others - in particular, Jeffrey Donovan - seem to be over-acting

Whiteotter I agree with this 100%. I find myself actually cringing a bit embarrassingly sometimes when JD does an accent or tries to act like a tough guy. It is actually a little bit cringeworthy most, if not all, of the time.

Yes, that's been really noticeable this season. JD can do really subtle restrained work (just watch Season 1). He can also be over the top, but in a good way. This season has been neither. Maybe now that he's a producer, the directors don't feel like they can say, "hey, dial it down a bit, OK."

fauntleroy

fauntleroy

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 27, 2010 @ 9:08 AM

I too wanted to see that submersible in use! A cool device, if it's real. Ridiculous to use it in broad daylight though! It's pretty noticeable when it's not you know, submerged. Wait till nightfall for cryin out loud! And I assumed Sam would pilot it to get close, then Michael would do a frogman thing to shore. Sam was a SEAL after all wasn't he? Isn't that what SEALs do? So instead Michael parks it like a jet ski. Budget limitation I guess, or maybe Donovan doesn't like the water.

The clients are so consistent with their blabbermouth tendencies that you'd think by now Michael would either assume the client would blab so feed them false information, or keep the client in the dark altogether if possible.

What was the point of Sam's sniper rifle--if he wasn't going to use it then, when would he use it?

I never cared about Jessie and agree that he's a "whiny jerk". I wasn't able to keep up with the whole Simon/Vaughn/Robert Patrick/bible business. But I thought bringing Fi's bringing Maddie along to talk to Jessie was nicely done at least.

Cougar High

Cougar High

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 27, 2010 @ 9:23 AM

They should have lost all the Jesse scenes except for the final one, IMO. Sam's revelation that Jesse was shooting through Michael to hit the bad guy behind him could have waited until next season.

I completely agree with your first point Whiteotter, but on the second I don't agree in miliking another 'Will Michael live or die?' cliffhanger. That would be too repetitive for me.

So now that Barrett's dead it looks like there's no way to unburn either Michael or Jesse since the plan appeared to be grabbing Barrett and turning him over to the authorities to clear their names. I wonder who it was that picked up the Bible at the end? Now that's a good cliffhanger.

FiRocks

FiRocks

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 27, 2010 @ 9:32 AM

Thank you Whiteotter, something was bothering me about the acting last night and I couldn't quite put my finger on it, yes, overacting that's it. I didn't like the way Fi was handling Jesse, that just bothered me to no end. It didn't work for me in terms of her character, granted Matt Nix should know her character way better than I ever could, but I still didn't like the way she dealt with that whole situation. Then by her taking Madeline along I was beyond annoyed. Yes, she took her along for back up so Jesse didn't shoot her, then, why, oh why as Petunia said were they out in the open at Carlitos at the beginning? That made no sense whatsoever, IMHO. The end, oh the end, I'm sorry but it was not suspenseful at all. There's only so many times when we can see Michael "on the brink of death" before we stop crying wolf.

Good Queen Jane

Good Queen Jane

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2010 @ 9:44 AM

You have a group of badasses in Sam, Fiona and Jesse and not one of them thinks to shoot Robert Patrick?

What was the point of Sam's sniper rifle--if he wasn't going to use it then, when would he use it?

Word. Why were Sam and Fi even there? Once Vaughn showed up, I expected Sam and Fi to bring on the fireworks. Or did they use up all their bullets in the gunfight with the drug overlord's brother (where everyone was such a terrible shot that no one got hit)?

Disappointing finale.

DanDanNoodles

DanDanNoodles

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 27, 2010 @ 11:15 AM

Did my eyes deceive me, or did Michael Westen just accept payment for a job? Granted, it was in the form of a one-man submersible instead of cash, but still, wow.

Pretty disappointing finale, I thought, there wasn't the conflict with Jesse that I thought there would be. Then again, this wasn't so much a finale as a short hiatus; new episodes start again in November.

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Aug 27, 2010 @ 11:50 AM

Yeah, I don't think they should have had the job of the week in this episode. It took time away from what could have been some really great stuff with Jesse and ended up wasting almost all the potential of his plotline, and just made the episode much less of an event. Plus, I think this particular job of the week could have, with more attention paid to it, been pretty cool. There was just too much going on for any of it to have the room to breathe needed to be truly worthwhile.

That said, the final act was pretty awesome, and even if Sam kind of spoiled the moment by clarifying Jesse's intent, I loved that he did get to shoot Michael and save him at the same time. And I was so concerned about when and how Jesse was going to come back into the picture that it never occured to me that Vaughn would show up and ruin everything.

Loandbehold

Loandbehold

Stalker

Posted Aug 27, 2010 @ 1:07 PM

Did my eyes deceive me, or did Michael Westen just accept payment for a job?

Yeah, but it was from a lawyer. And, we all know that every lawyer is, at best, just above the level of scum, so it was OK for Mike to accept payment.

supposebly

supposebly

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2010 @ 3:24 PM

I also wasn't quite sure what to make of this one. It sure was no jump from the helicopter!

Partly, I think there might have been filming location and scheduling problems. I would have gone in at night. Regardless of how prepared they would have been, hiding behind a lounger is just not good cover! I actually expected there to be a few security cameras. This didn't need the client to be stupid, Mike was sloppy to begin with.

Also the final location. It looked like Sam and Fi were quite visible. And what were they there for? To provide scene commentary?

I'm sad Robert Patrick is dead already. Although maybe that will help me make sense of the whole plot because I'm not following anymore.

Agreed that it would have been better not to give away that Jessie saved Mike. From my POV, it's actually more likely that he would have missed completely. But then, I never quite thought Jessie was all that. Whiny princess springs to mind.

Judging from the boots, I think Jessie took the bible. Although how that is logistically possible, I don't know. Unless Simon has escaped and has been orchestrating it all and that was him. But that is probably just my wishful thinking for more Gareth Dillahunt.

TheRedHead77

TheRedHead77

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2010 @ 6:46 PM

Michael was very sloppy. He may despise lawyers but there was a little girls life at stake. He could have stepped up his awareness a bit.

I loved Michael with the little girl at the end - preparing her for the noise and protecting her the best he could. I thought for sure something was going to happen and the show was going to go very dark with either the little girl getting hurt/killed or the kidnappers grabbing and running with her. The final scene was a huge surprise after they got away-ish.

I think discussion between Fi and Michael about her kissing Jesse seemed like some canon to clarify they are actually together!together these days.

I'm not a fan of life or death cliff hangers when you know the show and the leads are coming back for more. It turns will they live or die suspense into a moot point. Michael will be back and need surgery or he'll have a miraculous recovery but I'm digging the mystery of who has the Bible. I think the obvious choice is Jesse so I'm going to go with Simon.

Pacic

Pacic

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 27, 2010 @ 7:41 PM

I too was let down by the whole Jesse plotline. I thought we were gonna get some action, but instead he just mopes and then shoots Michael in the end.

dalek sec

dalek sec

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 27, 2010 @ 10:21 PM

Oh, and way to not listen to Michael and fuck things up, Vaughn. I hope Michael locks you in a room with an unrestrained Simon and throws away the key.

I think that was one of my biggest compliants from last night's episode. What the hell was Vaughn thinking? You have ton's of resources at hand and the best thing you could come up with was stick a bunch of flunkies in cars with uzi's and go charging off? I'm really starting to question why Management hasn't killed his people for doing such stupid things.

As for Jessie shooting Michael in the end? I chalk it up to half wanting to help and half shooting Michael for getting him burned.

Bec

Bec

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2010 @ 11:41 PM

I don't agree in miliking another 'Will Michael live or die?' cliffhanger. That would be too repetitive for me... I wonder who it was that picked up the Bible at the end? Now that's a good cliffhanger.

Clearly we know Michael is not going to die (since he's left passing out bleeding on the pavement, I guess we're still supposed to be in suspense about it even though of course he won't die). But we could still be in suspense over whether Jesse is on their side or not. This doesn't conflict with the "who has the Bible" suspense, which I also like.

What the hell was Vaughn thinking? You have ton's of resources at hand and the best thing you could come up with was stick a bunch of flunkies in cars with uzi's and go charging off?

Maybe he doesn't trust Michael (with good reason. Michael was planning to leave him with nothing after all), and this is him trying to get Michael killed? They didn't need Barrett alive, I guess. Their piority is to make sure no one decodes the list of names with the Bible code.

jfphile

jfphile

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 28, 2010 @ 1:26 AM

I don't agree in miliking another 'Will Michael live or die?' cliffhanger. That would be too repetitive for me... I wonder who it was that picked up the Bible at the end? Now that's a good cliffhanger.

I don't think the cliffhanger is whether Michael will live or die, we know he'll be back. However, unless Sam and Fi arrive first, Michael with his gunshot wound will be found by police and EMTs at the scene of a car crash with a dead telecom magnate. This is national (or international) news. Not exactly desirable for a burned spy who tries to keep a fairly low profile. I think Management may still somehow keep his name out of the story, though. Otherwise, while it has sometimes stretched believability so far that Michael hasn't faced problems from his past foes, it would be much more ridiculous for this to continue after his name (and picture?) are posted all over the media.

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

• Interests:I'm an easy going person and likes to hang out. I like to observe and learn things, and my passions are movies, TV and travelling. I could say that I believe in the soul, high fiber, good Martini, that the books of Chicken Soup of the Soul are self-indulgent crap. I believe in sweet spot, soft-core romantic drama, good food, and I believe in long-slow-deep-soft-wet kisses that last more than three days. I have a computer, a TV, a DVD player, a bathroom & pizza delivery. Why should I leave the house? Of course, unless you have a damn good reason to drag me out; like hell with fluorescent lighting. In other word: Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, so get wasted all the time and have the time of your life.

Posted Aug 28, 2010 @ 5:05 AM

From Recap:

And then a pair of black boots walks up to the case, and their owner picks it up. The end. No clue on who retrieved it, so I guess we'll just have to wait until November to find out it was Jesse.

I dunno, I think it wasn't Jesse. Jesse was wearing a t-shirt and jeans, while the retriever was wearing army pants with black boots, and also long black sleeves. Jesse was wearing short sleeves. I think it was someone else. Simon, maybe? Vaughn probably just screwing with Michael, so he let Simon go. Or maybe someone from The Management's organization.

I haven't seen Michael bleed for a long time now in the show. Usually he was sorta a Super Agent. So I kinda like it that he bleeds.

Danny Pino will always be Armadillo from The Shield for me. Argh, where's Michael Chiklis when you need him? (yeah, he's a superhero now).

The whole job of the week is kinda forced, maybe to provided a line for Jesse, "Please don't kill Michael yet, because he has to save a little girl first." And then Jesse is being wishy washy about the whole thing.

Okay, I was kinda amused that Michael considered himself as a saint...

Michael: "You're not exactly a saint."
Lawyer: "Well, so do you."
Michael had a WTF face when he said that. Like completely disagree with the whole thing.

When Fi told Michael about the kissing thing, there was sorta a hurt look from Michael's face -- not because of the kissing, but from the whole story about confused feeling. "Are you... confused right now?"

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Aug 29, 2010 @ 10:39 AM

Word. Why were Sam and Fi even there? Once Vaughn showed up, I expected Sam and Fi to bring on the fireworks.

That bugged me too. I mean you have guns so when things start going to crap start shooting, do what you were there to do, back up Michael.

The funniest part was though in the prison break scene, I mean there is an explosion and a street with a flipped over prison van, and in the background on the cross street cars are just driving by like it's an everyday thing.

CatCrazy

CatCrazy

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 29, 2010 @ 1:10 PM

I almost always watch TV with the Closed Captioning on -- makes it easier to catch all the dialogue -- and noticed something interesting. In the scene at the end where Barrett is dragging Michael into the car, there is more VO by Michael that you don't hear, but is still in the CC (after the VO about shooting through a person). It is: "Getting shot on the inside of the shoulder won't kill you quickly, but almost any gunshot will kill you if you give it enough time." I guess they decided that those comments weren't really necessary, and/or didn't want so much VO in the scene.

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

• Interests:Improv, Mojo-Kickball, Kickboxing, Cooking, Baking

Posted Aug 29, 2010 @ 1:24 PM

I'm pretty sure I heard that dialogue.