FNL on ABC Family. Uncut or Edited?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

30 replies to this topic

ratambats

ratambats

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 25, 2010 @ 8:14 PM

Just saw juicy inside front cover of TV Guide promoting FNL From The Beginning on ABC Family starting September 7, 6:00 pm EST. Could this be the original, uncut, with original music? At 6:00pm?

ItsNotMe

ItsNotMe

Video Archivist

• Location:A place where English isn't the native language. (Yep, that's why I suck at it.)

Posted Aug 25, 2010 @ 8:25 PM

If they air it with the original music, I'll ask an American friend to record it for me. The first season in particular is two times better with Explosions in the Sky's music.

Texas Sweet

Texas Sweet

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 28, 2010 @ 4:29 PM

Just found a promo for Friday Night Lights on ABC Family just click Here. To see 30 seconds of Heaven.

browneyes106

browneyes106

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 28, 2010 @ 11:35 PM

There is a chance it could be aired with the original music. But sometimes when TV shows are put into syndication/cable reruns some editing is done in regards to music and episode length.

I do wonder if the some of the dialogue will be editied. A few months back ABC Family aired several commercials about how the word "retarded" shouldn't be acceptable. I honestly could see them editing the scene in the hospital where they are waiting for Tyra and her mom and Matt calls Landry retarded.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Aug 28, 2010 @ 11:58 PM

ABC Family is known for editing programs. When they aired Freaks and Geeks several years ago, they edited it for language. One character says to another "She was sucking on your finger, Daniel. What else was she sucking on?" I recall a small scene between those two characters being cut out of an episode because of sexually suggestive dialogue. Expect editing.

Texas Sweet

Texas Sweet

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 3, 2010 @ 2:17 PM

Found another promo for Friday Night Lights on ABC Family. This time it's Connie and Jesse talkin' about the show. Just click Here.
To see Connie and Jesse sittin' in Panther Stadium better known as Herrman Field.

Reality Chaser

Reality Chaser

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2010 @ 9:43 AM

ABC Family might surprise us. The show Make It Or Break It is pretty graphic.

ItsNotMe

ItsNotMe

Video Archivist

• Location:A place where English isn't the native language. (Yep, that's why I suck at it.)

Posted Sep 6, 2010 @ 1:45 PM

An ABC Family representative said the network made a few trims for language -- no more than five over the course of the show's first four seasons. And the shorter NBC versions of each episode will air on ABC Family, but the network said it had not made any additional cuts, except for those few trims for language.

Source

GreatAuntBee

GreatAuntBee

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 8, 2010 @ 8:52 PM

I watched the first two episodes on ABC Family. Does the format stay the same throughout the series? I find it to be very slow-paced. I've heard good things about this show and I want to give it a fair chance.

LaVieDouce

LaVieDouce

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 8, 2010 @ 9:40 PM

Stick with it. It's an amazing show.

Cornflake Girl

Cornflake Girl

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2010 @ 1:25 AM

Definitely stick with it, it took me about four episodes before I understood what my friend was raving about, Now I can't stop watching it over and over.

CaseStudy

CaseStudy

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 9, 2010 @ 7:38 AM

If you're not sucked in by episode four ('Wind Sprints') then it's best to give up.

Although the drama becomes more overt and a bit more soapy as the season goes along, it's still, for the most part, an understated drama.

Edited by CaseStudy, Sep 9, 2010 @ 7:41 AM.

Doodle00

Doodle00

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 9, 2010 @ 10:30 AM

I watched the first two episodes on ABC Family. Does the format stay the same throughout the series? I find it to be very slow-paced.

I would watch a couple more of the episodes. I felt the same way after the pilot; in fact, I watched the pilot when it was originally on NBC back in 2006 (I think?) and never watched again. What a mistake that was. When I did my second outing earlier this summer, I got it on DVD and blew past the first couple of episodes, which were just OK, in my opinion, but then got sucked in by the third or fourth episode, never to look back. Definitely one of the best television shows ever made, and I would have completely missed out had I given up early.

auntmimi96

auntmimi96

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 9, 2010 @ 2:11 PM

I'm encouraged by the comments to continue watching. I'm another newbie that's heard the hype, but never watched and decided to try it out now. I'm trying very hard not to read too much in the forums so I don't get spoiled about what's to come.

GreatAuntBee

GreatAuntBee

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 9, 2010 @ 3:28 PM

Thanks, everyone, for the advice to give it a couple more episodes. I also watched the first episode back when it started but couldn't make it through because it just seemed to drag and I didn't care about any of the characters.

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2010 @ 6:19 PM

Definitely stick with it. The show gets better and better as the characters grow on you.

CaseStudy

CaseStudy

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 10, 2010 @ 5:42 AM

I still think the second episode ('Eyes Wide Open') is one of the top five episodes of the series.

Doodle00

Doodle00

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 10, 2010 @ 11:24 AM

Funny enough, now that I think the show is the be-all-end-all of shows, going back to watch the pilot episode I have this completely new appreciation for how awesome it actually was. But that's with the benefit of hindsight for all the brilliance that comes later. Is anyone else watching this again on ABC Family and noticing new things or growing to appreciate things that you missed the first time around? Sammy Meade's opening of the season; Coach's nervousness at taking over; Street's calmness and leadership -- love it all on the rewatching.

ETA: Eyes Wide Open is fantastic, as is the third (?) episode Wind Sprints. I think that's really where the show got me hooked.

Edited by Doodle00, Sep 10, 2010 @ 11:25 AM.

kccody

kccody

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 11, 2010 @ 7:07 AM

Funny enough, now that I think the show is the be-all-end-all of shows, going back to watch the pilot episode I have this completely new appreciation for how awesome it actually was. But that's with the benefit of hindsight for all the brilliance that comes later. Is anyone else watching this again on ABC Family and noticing new things or growing to appreciate things that you missed the first time around? Sammy Meade's opening of the season; Coach's nervousness at taking over; Street's calmness and leadership -- love it all on the rewatching

I love going back to the beginning and falling in love all over again too. Why more people do not watch this show is beyond me.

OptimisticCynic

OptimisticCynic

Stalker

Posted Sep 26, 2010 @ 12:29 AM

I still think the second episode ('Eyes Wide Open') is one of the top five episodes of the series.

Oh, heck yeah. That's when I fell in love with Matt Saracen.

Wordologist

Wordologist

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 17, 2010 @ 11:58 PM

About 10 days ago we told you that ABC Family was moving Friday Night Lights to weekdays at 11am starting Oct. 11 and that did happen of course, but now starting next week (Oct. 18), it is being pulled from that slot even. The morning airing of Gilmore Girls will return and replace Friday Night Lights completely due to more bad ratings. The 11am move only lasted 5 days and had its last airing today. No word on if and when the series will return, but it underperformed in its weekdays at 6pm slot in September.

This is upsetting. Why does this keep happening?

Source.

Skullcrusher

Skullcrusher

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 8:04 AM

This is upsetting. Why does this keep happening?

I can't believe it's just ratings. I wonder if it was because of the abortion last season. Of course ABCF knew that when they aired the show. It can get pretty edgy and might not be a good fit for the channel.

auntmimi96

auntmimi96

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 4:48 PM

I am so devastated. I just started watching from the beginning when this started airing on ABCF. Luckily my Tivo caught the time change, but to have it pulled indefinitely now is so disappointing. I guess I'll have to rent the DVDs.

Texas Sweet

Texas Sweet

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 6:31 PM

What a Bunch of Whooey. . . and I mean it!!

But I gotta say I think that ABC Family missed led the ABCF viewers. Their Promos were kinda miss leading. For me they had askew it bit, about what Friday Night Lights really is about. They showed a fare bit of romance and this show has got some. But mainly it's about Families and their Struggles. It's a of coming of age story that's timeless. And Good people makin' bad decisions and the consequences of those decisions. All set in Gritty. . .Dusty . . .Dillon, Texas.

It's ashame and heartbreaking that folks don't get it. I was hopeful that it find a larger audience at ABC Family. This is kinda like a Tim Riggins storyline. It starts out so hopeful. . .only to fall apart in the next episode.

izabella

izabella

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2010 @ 12:39 AM

I can't understand how the teenage girls who watch ABC Family wouldn't watch FNL if for no other reason than Saracen or Riggins or Smash. Those boys should be a little more watchable than endless reruns of Melissa and Joey, whatever that is.

I hope another cable channel picks it up. And doesn't bounce it around the schedule immediately before dropping it. Stupid ABC Family. Maybe Lifetime. The Army Wives audience would appreciate this show, I think, especially with the awesome Coach and Mrs. Coach relationship.

Doodle00

Doodle00

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 19, 2010 @ 10:27 AM

So true - this show would be perfect for Lifetime, given that they are now showing Grey's Anatomy and trying to "hip" it up a bit. That said, what kind of ratings was ABC Family expecting for an 11 a.m. or even 6 p.m. time slot? Lifetime or the Hallmark Channel (can't remember which one now) routinely shows The Golden Girls in those time slots and can't possibly do boffo ratings off of that show (not insulting GG, which I love, and often watch), so just what are the expectations that FNL failed to meet or beat? Seems pretty ridiculous that we could have twice daily repeats of the King of Queens on TBS, but somehow, in this bizarro world in which we live, FNL so miserably fails to make the grade that it can't be spared the axe.

limey4

limey4

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 19, 2010 @ 11:56 AM

Grrr...I just started watching and am so grumpy they pulled it completely! Ahh...it's so good! I want to see the rest of the seasons!

It can't possibly be entirely a ratings issue. You are telling me, middle of the day reruns of Full House get better ratings or the reruns of Gilmore Girls (which I love) that have been running for like six years?? I mean, they had to pay for the rights to air FNL, plus they advertised it for a while this summer, so why can't they at least air it in a totally dead time slot? I don't even care if they air it at 2a.m., as long as my DVR catches it, I don't care.

I would say it's possibly a content issue with it being a "Family" channel, but seeing as how Secret Life of the American Teenage, is their biggest show and that show is ridiculous and very sexual (and not done in a remotely smart or realistic way), that can't be it.

I'm so confused. :(

Edited by limey4, Oct 19, 2010 @ 11:58 AM.

Qwerky

Qwerky

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 19, 2010 @ 1:31 PM

Add me to that list. I became very quickly hooked on this show, and intended to watch every episode, now its gone and they've left me hangin'. Sooo disappointed, and angry at ABCFamily. How dare they toy with me like that! I don't do the DVD thing so now its either pray for a pickup by another network or settle for the written recaps on TWOP. Did I mention, I'm seriously bummed.

ratambats

ratambats

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 19, 2010 @ 8:32 PM

Loyal (obsessed?) viewer here. No matter how disappointed we are, TV is business first. If they can't sell the demogaphic, they ditch the show. I never thought ABCF was a good fit for FNL.
Just seems kinda dowdy. Besides, who's watching at 6 pm? FNL requires stillness and concentration, not dinnertime chaos. And honestly, it's better suited for the over 12 set, IMHO. This brilliant, misunderstood American fable has never had the right home to nurture an audience.

Idea: Kevin Reilly, contract renewed for 3 years at FOX, formerly at NBC, where FNL originated, picks it up. Better promo/time slot. Wouldn't that be sweet?

googs

googs

Fanatic

Posted Oct 21, 2010 @ 7:22 AM

I'm kinda bummed it got the boot, too. I'm obsessed with this show, now, and kicking myself for not discovering it sooner. I think the football thing turned me off as I'm not at all into sports. I was way too impatient to wait for the one ep per day on ABC Fam and once I discovered FNL was available for instant streaming through Netflix I got quite far ahead of the syndication schedule anyways, so it's not too much of a loss for me. Starting season four now. What shall I do when I'm done?