Aarti Party

• Please log in to reply

526 replies to this topic

mushypeas

mushypeas

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2010 @ 11:35 AM

The Season 6 winner of The Next Food Network Star, Aarti Sequeira, invites viewers to join her for a playful Aarti Party, where she shares easy and delicious ways to enhance American favorites with simple but unique Indian influences. Whether she’s sprucing up everyday pulled pork sandwiches and perfectly roasted chicken or taking classic bread pudding and basic red lentils to new heights, Aarti cleverly combines the familiar with the exotic to create mouthwatering meals. No matter the occasion, Aarti Party promises great food and endless fun for home cooks everywhere.

Anybody watch?

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2010 @ 11:40 AM

You beat me to it! Yes, I watched and I didn't think it was half bad. Aarti made "Bombay sloppy joes," which were made with ground turkey in a tiki masala sauce. She took the time to explain the ingredients, what they tasted/smelled like, etc. She also managed to tie-in everything she made to Indian cuisine.

She also made a bruised kale salad with mangoes and a simple lemon/honey dressing.

Finally, she made these to-die-for ice cream pops made with Earl Grey tea, cardamom and pistachios.

Everything looked really good.

As far as her delivery went, it was they typical "my friends are dropping by unexpectedly for a mid-week dinner." She was a little repetitive as far as describing her main dish, but at least no sappy rambling stories and she only mentioned "Mum" once.

I'll watch her again. She sort of reminded me of Nigella with her hair and the flowery way she described things.

Damn straight better than Medicore Melissa.

momtocats

momtocats

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 22, 2010 @ 11:43 AM

As far as her delivery went, it was they typical "my friends are dropping by unexpectedly for a mid-week dinner."

I totally hate that, but it's not Aarti's fault. Of course the producers told her to say that.

All in all, not a bad debut episode. She is natural enough that I wonder why they made her go through TNFNS gauntlet, rather than just hiring her for a show.

mushypeas

mushypeas

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2010 @ 11:44 AM

Hi grisgris!

I adore Aarti's personality, energy, and sense of humor. She's terrific.

But I swear if her show is simply a series of Indian spiced-up American foods (pizza, sloppy joe's) I will cry.

The popsicles and the kale salad sounded good to me.

DoleWhip

DoleWhip

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 22, 2010 @ 11:46 AM

It all looked good to me, but I really want to make her kulfi-inspired popsicles.

WhitneyWhit

WhitneyWhit

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2010 @ 11:49 AM

I really enjoyed the show. I love having a host that doesn't jump up and down,scream and have foodgasms every other second. She was calm,charming and thouroughly explained everything.

The food looked delicious. I'll definitely be trying the recipes soon,especially the popsicles.

ShannenB2000

ShannenB2000

Stalker

Posted Aug 22, 2010 @ 11:51 AM

I thought it was pretty good. I could see myself cooking the Sloppy Joes, because I do normally cook them with ground turkey breast, and this would be a new twist on that. I wasn't a fan of the salad, but I don't like kale so I wouldn't make that regardless. But those pistachio pops are definitely something I'm interested in making.

Her delivery was fine, and she did a good job of explaining why she was using certain things, or giving examples of foods that people might have had with these spices before (the chai latte, for example.) That can help people who are uncertain about using these spices feel more comfortable. The only suggestion I'd make is to maybe state how much of these spices she's using--maybe I missed it, but I didn't hear her saying if she was using a teaspoon of this or a tablespoon of that. She just kind of scooped it out of her spice jar and dumped it in...but I suppose people would go to the website to get the recipe if they want exact amounts.

ellyd

ellyd

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 22, 2010 @ 11:51 AM

I'm afraid you're going to be crying mushypeas. Sorry. According to the FN site:

The Season 6 winner of The Next Food Network Star, Aarti Sequeira, invites viewers to join her for a playful Aarti Party, where she shares easy and delicious ways to enhance American favorites with simple but unique Indian influences.

mushypeas

mushypeas

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2010 @ 11:55 AM

I can hope though, can't I?

Can't wait for the Tandoori Chicken Tenders in Raita dipping sauce! (Can someone give me a whoot?)

jen71

jen71

Loyal Viewer

I was impressed overall. I felt like she needed to calm down a little, but for a first episode I thought she was quite natural. Everything that she made looked really good. I thought the kulfi-inspired pistachio pops sounded like they could be almost too rich and heavy, but I do love kulfi and would certainly give them a try.

I definitely agree with mushypeas in that I don't just want to see her make American foods with an Indian twist. That was her POV on TNFNS, I guess, and it may be a way to get people interested in Indian flavors when they wouldn't otherwise be. But I would love to see her making some of my favorite Indian foods as well. Perhaps she'll get away from the American dishes in future seasons. Whatever her future recipes are, though, based on today's premiere, I'll definitely continue watching.

jen71

jen71

Loyal Viewer

Duplicate post, sorry.

Edited by jen71, Aug 22, 2010 @ 11:56 AM.

janiceo

janiceo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 22, 2010 @ 11:56 AM

I am so glad to see ya'll here, and am extremely happy to find you!

I loved the show. The food looked good, however the main reason I watched is because I really enjoy Aarti's personality. I consider my self a rather serious, stand-offish, anti-social person, but I just adore Aarti. I caught myself smiling during her show because she has such an joyful, upbeat personality. I believe that "what you see is what you get" with Aarti. I don't think there is a fake or disingenuous bone in her body. I'd love to be one of the friends she has over for dinner and some wine.

I think her show is a winner, IMHO.

Baysu

Baysu

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2010 @ 11:59 AM

I watched it. I thought her delivery was good, she seemed at ease in front of the camera and was not all over the place. Not sure if this show will become a show that I watch on a regular basis? Because I really don't cook with the seasonings / spices she is promoting.

rosiehawthorne

rosiehawthorne

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2010 @ 12:00 PM

I have to say I liked it. There was an odd intro about the weekend/the middle of the week (I forget exactly what.) and of course the bit about the "imaginary" friends was obligatory. But I thought she explained the spices and all quite well. And she's not a screeching howler monkey. I actually like her voice. I wasn't happy to see she was doing Sloppy Bombay Joes though. I don't want to see her Indian-up American foods. I want to see an Indian cook Indian food. Oh well. Small steps.

Tunia

Tunia

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 22, 2010 @ 12:09 PM

Nice job, Aarti...and I didn't realize you could keep dressed kale in the fridge for a couple of days without going soggy.

dreamy

dreamy

Stalker

Posted Aug 22, 2010 @ 12:09 PM

Very pleasantly surprised by the first episode. I, too, will likely go check the recipes out on the FN site.

She has a certain comfort level in front of the camera that was engaging. Like the rest of you, I just hope they don't 'neuter' her Indian sensibilities.

I'll definitely watch this again.

orchidgal

orchidgal

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2010 @ 12:11 PM

The Foodie Daughter and I watched this and we both liked the show. Aarti is engaging and endearing. Oh, and she can cook!

I like that she explained the flavors and aromas of the different spices. That alone is worth the show. I know that The Cooking Channel has the Spice Goddess, but her explanations never seem to get through to me.

Personally, I'm not all that into Indian food, so a show about incorporating Indian flavors into "American" dishes is definitely more up my alley.

CTFoodie

CTFoodie

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 22, 2010 @ 12:19 PM

I watched, she was my favorite on TNFNS. Pretty good for a premiere. I think she has the potential to do very well on TFN. Very engaging personality, warm and cute as a To-Mah-toe.

Baysu

Baysu

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2010 @ 12:23 PM

I never think of Kale as being used in a salad. For me Kale has to be cooked, I would like to try Kale as a salad.

Rocky Monoxide

Rocky Monoxide

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2010 @ 12:33 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I don't even like how-to cooking shows. Everything she made looked delicious, and she made it all look pretty easy and do-able, too. I want to try all of it, especially the popsicles.

Aarti was by far my favorite on NFNS, so I was looking forward to her show, but was surprised that I enjoyed it even more than I expected to. I just set a season pass for all the new episodes so I don't miss it. For a first episode in particular, I found this very impressive.

trulypitiful

trulypitiful

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 22, 2010 @ 12:38 PM

I'll watch her again. She sort of reminded me of Nigella with her hair and the flowery way she described things.

My thoughts exactly. I really liked this show because Aarti made food I would actually like to eat. I'm going to try that kale salad. It looked easy and delicious. And those popsicles looked amazing!

Kodiboku

Kodiboku

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2010 @ 12:45 PM

But I swear if her show is simply a series of Indian spiced-up American foods (pizza, sloppy joe's) I will cry.

Me too. I was looking forward to Indian food. I'm not a fan of the Sloppy Joe and I've seen RR make them a 100 different ways.. not that they says much for the Sloppy Joe. She was good in front of the camera though.

Melissa made a kale salad on one of her shows too......though it's really hard to watch her!

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2010 @ 1:02 PM

mushypeas WHOOT! And I'll up you a hip-check and shimmy shake.

I do have to concur with everybody's opinion that we really don't want to see a show about "Inderican" foods. I was so excited about her show because I LOVE Indian food and have been dabbling with it lately. Some came out quite well, the others were complete misses. I get turned off by the huge variety of spices, etc. that you need so it helped when Aarti explained what she was using and what type of flavor/temperature it would add to the dish.

So, I'd like to see a balance. Have some shows where she cooks the real deal and others where she introduces us to how to add new/different spices to common recipes.

Tonight I will add garam masala to my Hamburger Helper! Ha! Ha!

At least she didn't add vodka to the pistachio pops and when she took a bite out of one, she took a ladylike bite from the side. She didn't shove it down her throat ala Aunt Sandy.

Speaking of.... EXCELLENT replacement for Money Saving Meals! I hope that Aarti's show is a huge success and FN continues with it.

rhys7

rhys7

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2010 @ 1:12 PM

If this was indeed her first show, she did great. I'm wondering, tho, if this was later on in her taping. Anyway, nice job, Aarti.

I've never heard of black kale and doubt I'd be able to find it in wee town Kansas. I did like the idea of kale and mango. Anything's better with mango!

Her set bugged a bit. One complete range to our right and her cooktop. Not unlike Ina's I suppose. I, too, would have appreciated the am'ts of spices she put in. Is it odd to anyone besides me that there are tea leaves in the ice cream pops? Wouldn't that be grainy or something?

mushypeas

mushypeas

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2010 @ 1:20 PM

Tonight I will add garam masala to my Hamburger Helper!

I swear I remember Sandra Lee doing that once, grisgris. If not, I'm sure she's claimed the idea.

I'm most intrigued by the kale salad and will have to give it a try.

And I must say, I normally don't care about the looks of any of these tv chefs, but I think Aarti is such a gorgeous woman. She really radiates on camera.

Let's just hope the Food Network powers that be don't pigeonhole her too much with the Americanized Indian food. I'm sure she can cook anything, so I would hope we get to see her flex her culinary muscles beyond Bombay Joes.

HorrifiedbyFN

HorrifiedbyFN

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 22, 2010 @ 1:22 PM

I don't know what to think...i thought Aarti was a breath of fresh air on TNFNS...

I'm not sure I think that anymore. Will have to watch another show to really make

up my mind on this but personally I wouldn't be trying any of these dishes.

jcbrown

jcbrown

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2010 @ 1:29 PM

rhys7, you might find black kale called Tuscan kale, dinosaur kale, or lacinato kale. I more commonly see it called one of those names. I am intruiged by her technique of massaging it to break down the cellulose--might have to try that. I thought this was really well done although I also wondered if this was the first one produced. Whether it was or not, she's better out of the gate than Melissa ever will be and also better than Dan and Steve, my favorite TNFNS winners before now. She definitely comes off as comfortable in front of the camera. I suspect the reason they put her through TNFNS rather than just giving her a show was to help build an audience. I'll set a season pass--I like this.

The one thing I wish they would improve is to have someone older than 5 create her logo and her lead-in. Struck me as so juvenile and completely unrelated to the concept of her show.

ETA When she is putting her pops into and taking them out of the freezer, you can see something in the back corner to the left that looks like an outlet. I slowed it down to try to figure it out but failed. What is that?

Edited by jcbrown, Aug 22, 2010 @ 1:32 PM.

minneapple

minneapple

Stalker

Posted Aug 22, 2010 @ 1:32 PM

Is it odd to anyone besides me that there are tea leaves in the ice cream pops? Wouldn't that be grainy or something?

She strained out the mixture before adding cream and condensed milk. I think. My sister-in-law makes kulfis just like Aarti did except she doesn't add Earl Grey. It sounds like an interesting addition, though, so I think I'll suggest it to her.

If Aarti is going to do American food infused with Indian spices, I hope she at least does one dish that's all-Indian during each show -- like the kulfis. She seems to have good food/cooking knowledge and is a total natural in front of the camera. About the only criticism I would have is that I don't think she needed the "my girlfriends are coming over" story.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2010 @ 1:33 PM

rhys7 Aarti strained the tea mixture before adding the other ingredients. ITA, if she'd left the tea leaves in, that would have been nasty.

Smaarti Aarti knows better! :)

Storywriter

Storywriter

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 22, 2010 @ 2:02 PM

Ooh I loved the first show! I thought she was natural and calm and so very informative. Glad to see the big flower is gone and her hair looked amazing. I also loved that I recognised her top as one I have had in my shopping cart at Amazon for a while..lol.

I will make the sloppy joes for sure and the popsicles as well..those looked good. I know I won't find kale where I am so I won't even bother trying. Really looking forward to seeing the rest of her recipes.

Edited by Storywriter, Aug 22, 2010 @ 2:02 PM.