The Great Food Truck Race

• Please log in to reply

2018 replies to this topic

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2013 @ 1:11 PM

I seriously doubt Tyler Florence has any input on how this show is done. He is being paid to show up and host it. The twists and turns are being done by show runners and producers.

Of course. But still... fuck Tyler Florence and fuck his damn penis clams.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Aug 26, 2013 @ 1:21 PM

misterbfd, yes a thousand times to the penis clam!

Now that it's been pointed out, I really hadn't noticed the difference between seasons as to challenges. "Ramp it up" is how I describe all the contrived things they had them do last night, what with the amount of money or how much they had to sell. It isn't about the food anymore, whether it's good or not. Barely see any feedback from customers, just the here and there comments about whether it tastes good. 

I hope the red ladies learned their lesson about pricing. I have often wondered how they think they are going to win in a dollar-driven competition if they sell things for $5 or $7? Customers know this is a TV show contest, they come out in droves hoping to be on camera. I myself would pay more than usual for a salad or a sandwich if it meant I might meet Tyler or be interviewed for the show. Sign me up!

And once more, just in case I forget, please send the hot dog women packing!!

Edited by TWoP Howard, Aug 26, 2013 @ 10:19 PM.
Unnecessary bold font

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2013 @ 3:03 PM

Did anyone else notice that outside of the $500 bonus, the Aloha group doubled the next competitor?  These guys knew how to price their stuff.  The other teams better start figuring this part out.

I have often wondered how they think they are going to win in a dollar-driven competition if they sell things for $5 or $7? Customers know this is a TV show contest, they come out in droves hoping to be on camera. 

I've been wondering about the pricing, it seems really high to me, but I don't know if that's really what a food truck charges, or if it's just because it's a TV show. At one point the Tikka Tikka Taco guys were charging $10.00 per taco, & I thought that was crazy, but people were buying it. We've heard people talking about charging $25.00 for an item, that's fine dining prices, if I'm paying $25.00 for a meal (which is more like a snack) I expect a table & service.

whitby98

whitby98

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 26, 2013 @ 3:49 PM

if I'm paying $25.00 for a meal (which is more like a snack) I expect a table & service.

That's EXACTLY what I said last night!  For $25, you need to come to my table and take my order and then bring it to me.  I'm not standing around outside in the rain and scarfing down a taco out of a paper container.

Pallida

Pallida

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 26, 2013 @ 4:23 PM

I think part of the reason the Aloha team did so well is because the chef's experience in Portland helped them know locally appropriate price points. I agree $25 at a food truck is nuts, but it's not fine dining in the area either.

More and more I see good trucks as an alternative to a restaurant because of the high overhead costs of being in a brick and mortar food establishment. I don't mind paying for a good meal regardless of delivery method. Food trucks don't have to be the stereotype of cheap roach coach.

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2013 @ 4:37 PM

It's only food. I'm diabetic, I need it five times a day. Freakin' Carrabba's prices are too expensive for me, much less a $10 taco or a $25 plate of food. The only time I've ever paid $25 or more for a plate of food was once when I took my wife to The Melting Pot for our 20th anniversary.

Pache

Pache

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2013 @ 8:17 PM

Of course they're going to keep Star Spangled Asses. Of course.

Since the losers are determined strictly on how much money they made, I don't see how the show "kept" the hotdog people.  They made more than the breakfast truck, even with the parking ticket, plain and simple.  For once this isn't a show where we have to rely on judges to report how good or bad the food is.  The criteria for winning is not something you can quibble about.  The person with the most in the till wins, the person with the least goes home.  Yes they have ways to move someone ahead, like the $500 token, but that is only one person and NOBODY did anything to help the frankfurter girls get to the token first. Unless you are accusing the show of not reporting the proper take at the end of the episode, nobody was kept unfairly.

I will also note that there was ABSOLUTELY NO MENTION made of what happened to the husband of the woman on the breakfast truck.  We didn't get a personal sob story.  There was no "we need to win this for Daddy".  The only thing she said was that she wanted to help rebuild the town after the hurricane, which I personally don't consider terribly sob storyish.

Edited by Pache, Aug 26, 2013 @ 8:20 PM.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Aug 26, 2013 @ 8:23 PM

In both SF and Portland, the cities established Food Truck parks to deal with the proliferation of food trucks.

The SF one is a private venture and modeled after the pods in Portland, but there is only the one in SF and the rules aren't nearly as stringent as Portland, so there are still plenty of trucks selling on the street.

I am now craving geoduck!

Edited by biakbiak, Aug 26, 2013 @ 8:58 PM.

Pallida

Pallida

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 26, 2013 @ 9:23 PM

In general, I'd like to think the total profit model prevents subjective elimination, but then they go and do the "you need to earn $100," sell for a bit, "oh now you need to sell $200!"  Perhaps it really was just another wrench that was already planned, but I also wonder if it was meant to hurt teams that may have been selling too quickly with too large of portions.  Just a tinfoil hat theory that I really hope isn't true.

Snackle

Snackle

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 26, 2013 @ 9:59 PM

I live in Hawaii, and our local neighborhood paper had an article about aloha plate. Apparently the lead guy saved someone from drowning, years ago, when he was in high school. The guy he saved financed his culinary school (in Oregon iirc, so he'd know geoduck). He's since come back to the islands and worked at some of the top resorts.

I expect a lot from these guys, especially if they start working the coconut telegraph. Just like the Seoul sausage group, a tight knit extended community can work wonders. Plus, we're used to high prices, even with food trucks.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Aug 26, 2013 @ 10:11 PM

Apparently the lead guy saved someone from drowning, years ago, when he was in high school. The guy he saved financed his culinary school (in Oregon iirc, so he'd know geoduck). He's since come back to the islands and worked at some of the top resorts.

They mentioned that in his intro video, they showed a picture of the guy he saved and him holding a young girl so I wonder if he was a fairly young father. I found the story really touching, what a great way to give thanks to kid (he stated he was 17) for saving your life than get him started on his dreams.

BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2013 @ 1:29 AM

I live in Hawaii, and our local neighborhood paper had an article about aloha plate. Apparently the lead guy saved someone from drowning, years ago, when he was in high school. The guy he saved financed his culinary school (in Oregon iirc, so he'd know geoduck). He's since come back to the islands and worked at some of the top resorts.

I expect a lot from these guys, especially if they start working the coconut telegraph. Just like the Seoul sausage group, a tight knit extended community can work wonders. Plus, we're used to high prices, even with food trucks.

He mentioned the "Coconut Wireless" in this week's ep (his term; not sure if it's correct, "Coconut Telegraph" is, or both are acceptable--I've also heard "Coconut Wireless" used in an S1 ep of Hawaii Five-0). Presumably he contacted someone he was still close to in Portland for assistance with a decent place to set up shop for the day/weekend--I can't remember if we saw the actual call or not.

CherokeeRose4

CherokeeRose4

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 27, 2013 @ 4:22 AM

I've been wondering about the pricing, it seems really high to me, but I don't know if that's really what a food truck charges, or if it's just because it's a TV show. At one point the Tikka Tikka Taco guys were charging $10.00 per taco, & I thought that was crazy, but people were buying it. We've heard people talking about charging $25.00 for an item, that's fine dining prices, if I'm paying $25.00 for a meal (which is more like a snack) I expect a table & service.

I've really only eaten from two food trucks: The Lobsta Truck which sells Lobster Rolls for $12.50 each and The Grilled Chees Truck that sells a variety of gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches...also not cheap. The Lobster Truck is ok but that Grilled Cheese Truck is worth every dollar. So basically my impression is that the $10-$15 for something from a food truck is probably the average. Can't say that I would ever spend $25...that's a golden meal in my world.

potatoradio

potatoradio

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 27, 2013 @ 9:38 AM

The criteria for winning is not something you can quibble about.  The person with the most in the till wins, the person with the least goes home.  Yes they have ways to move someone ahead, like the $500 token, but that is only one person and NOBODY did anything to help the frankfurter girls get to the token first. Unless you are accusing the show of not reporting the proper take at the end of the episode, nobody was kept unfairly

I originally really favored the premise of cold hard cash totals determining the winner and I would really like to believe it's that straightforward. However, I'm too cynical and have just enough tin foil lying around that I really question whether all the assorted hoops (in addition to being a really bad idea in terms of flow and interest, IMHO) aren't designed to keep a producer fave around. I would need to get googlin' to find out whether this show has the standard disclaimer that states that producers may have a say in who wins (that's a really poor paraphrase, but that's the gist I remember).

I have no theories for how they actually do this, so I have no proof, but, if the show is really as straightforward as it purports to be, they might consider showing, more realistically, how the Star Spangled Asses actually managed to come back and win. As it was presented, it seemed like they just kinda, whoops, backed and screamed their way into beating Empire. Their strategy seems to be nothing more than "well, we'll just have to fight for it and not give up." Tired old bumper sticker slogans and dumb luck aren't really interesting.

Not accusing anyone of Quiz Show type shenanigans (not that game shows and reality shows are the same), but I do think that this show definitely merits the standard disclaimer.

303george

303george

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 27, 2013 @ 10:08 AM

So basically my impression is that the $10-$15 for something from a food truck is probably the average. Can't say that I would ever spend $25...that's a golden meal in my world.

Welcome to the world of the "new" food trucks. Back in the day, a food truck guaranteed you two things. A big filling but usually mediocre meal, and a cheap price. At Rutgers they call them the "Grease Trucks" for good reason, but they got a lot of us through a lot of late night study sessions (and a few post-bar sessions). At my first "real job" I ate at a food truck every day for less than $5. The guy used to give everyone a straw with their can of soda to "class it up a bit."

Now food trucks are gourmet and you are lucky if you can afford to eat lunch once a week at a truck. Plus some of the food doesn't really do all that well for standing around and eating. Sandwiches and tacos work, big platters with 5 different things on them all served in different dishes don't.

What's interesting is that the new gourmet food trucks are actually having an influence on the old "lunch trucks" that service construction sites. The Washington Post had an article earlier this year about how the lunch trucks, long known for basic food and cheap prices, are now expanding their menus (and prices) as customers become accustomed to lobster rolls, gourmet hand-tossed pizza, and all sorts of fusion dishes from the trucks.

Meanwhile, I just want a sandwich, chips, and drink for under $5. Is that too much to ask?

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2013 @ 12:02 PM

What's interesting is that the new gourmet food trucks are actually having an influence on the old "lunch trucks" that service construction sites.

On the construction site we called them the "roach coach".

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2013 @ 9:00 PM

The criteria for winning is not something you can quibble about.  The person with the most in the till wins, the person with the least goes home.  Yes they have ways to move someone ahead, like the $500 token, but that is only one person and NOBODY did anything to help the frankfurter girls get to the token first. Unless you are accusing the show of not reporting the proper take at the end of the episode, nobody was kept unfairly

The criteria for winning is unfortunately, not as straightforward as this. Getting the $500.00 token wasn't based on getting to the $200.00 mark first, it was based on getting to the $200.00 mark first AND racing to the location first. Tyler told the breakfast truck that they reached the $200.00 mark first, but they lost because they took a wrong turn & didn't race fast enough. Since they can throw a "race" into any of the challenges at any time, and they have made a race part of the finale in previous seasons, just selling the most is no guarantee that you will win, you have to sell & race in order to win. Something that annoys the hell out of me. 

shibori

shibori

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2013 @ 9:30 PM

I now associate hot dogs with a burning hatred of false eyelashes. Thanks, show.

theatremouse

theatremouse

Stalker

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 10:18 AM

I'm a little torn. The race aspect in this context (and in past finales) has annoyed me for the manner of the race. However, given that the name of the show implies it's a race, I'm sort of pleased they're actually making it somewhat race-like in episodes other than the finale? It always annoyed me that they titled it a race but then it was only the very last thing they did that was a race.

That said, I'd much rather the eliminations be based on totals and then, maybe, every episode after Tyler tells them where they go next, the departures are all staggered with the team with the most money getting to leave first and thus having more selling time. Thus selling poorly one could conceivably get farther and farther behind, or could catch up by having a good run in one city. Or something. That sort of race aspect is much less annoying to me than "do you get lost driving somewhere you've never been before" since presumably, were they running actual businesses it'd be in the city where they live and theoretically know how to get around. Or use GPS. I'm not sure if it were disallowed, but I was surprised no one looked up directions on their phones so I'm guessing it may have been verboten?

MattFNG

MattFNG

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 10:39 AM

Here are some spoilers for this season if anyone is interested: http://www.foodnetwo...e-season-4.html

Not the actual winner of the show, but eliminations for upcoming episodes.

dagny

dagny

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 10:53 AM

That said, I'd much rather the eliminations be based on totals and then, maybe, every episode after Tyler tells them where they go next, the departures are all staggered with the team with the most money getting to leave first and thus having more selling time. Thus selling poorly one could conceivably get farther and farther behind, or could catch up by having a good run in one city. Or something. 

If they did accumulated profits over the entire course of the race, it would have definitely affected the past couple of winners.  There were teams that were killing it on most days, but had that bad one day and were eliminated.  The first race, first challenge also had one team with truck issues and they never got a chance to show who they were or how well they would do against everyone else.

An accumulated total would separate those who are better at selling from those that can't run a food truck. But most of these shows like to eliminate teams as we go along. This is not golf or the Tour de France people! :)

reinoe

reinoe

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 10:56 AM

Some of the challenges are flipping dumb.  The whole "you can't restock until an unspecified amount of time passes" is stupid.  Selling $100 $200 of an item is stupid. Being a good cook and winning a cooking challenge using a special ingredient is relevant to operating a food truck.  Choosing a good location and getting a lot of customers is relevant to managing a food truck.  But the challenges?  They have nothing to do with managing a food truck.  I was under the impression that this show was supposed to be about finding people who were worthy of managing their own business, but I've come to realize that this is just standard reality show schlock.  I'll watch but only because there' nothing else on that I want to see during the timeslot.

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 2:12 PM

If they did accumulated profits over the entire course of the race, it would have definitely affected the past couple of winners.

This basically happened the first season. I can't remember the food truck names, but the one making banh mi sandwiches killed almost every challenge, but they ended up losing to the other truck because they made the finale an actual race, & the other guys were faster. It didn't seem fair at all to me.

theatremouse

theatremouse

Stalker

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 4:23 PM

Dagny, I didn't mean accumulated profits. I still meant the lowest in any individual city would go home every episode. Just, in addition to that, they could use the previous city's totals to allow the teams to drive to the next one, staggered. So if you did well in one town, you'd have somewhat of a head start in the next one, in the sense of selling time. The lowest selling teams not eliminated the previous episode leave latest and thus have less time in the next town, which would theoretically hinder their totals. So performing consistently poorly punishes a team every time, because you'd be literally behind on the next challenge.

Of course, with all the truck stop nonsense, that would probably not have as big an impact on the competition as the wacky shenanigans, and if the staggering were only 15 minutes (something I think we've seen before on this show) then a little creative driving could compensate for those at the top. Oooh! New idea, the differential between teams is how they determine how early you get to leave. So then being $1000 ahead means a big lead, literally, to the next location, whereas if you only won by $10, it's less of a head start.

I'd much rather see that sort of "race" element on the show than the "sell x amount and go get a token" type thing.

Edited by theatremouse, Aug 28, 2013 @ 4:24 PM.

BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 4:50 PM

Dagny, I didn't mean accumulated profits. I still meant the lowest in any individual city would go home every episode. Just, in addition to that, they could use the previous city's totals to allow the teams to drive to the next one, staggered. So if you did well in one town, you'd have somewhat of a head start in the next one, in the sense of selling time. The lowest selling teams not eliminated the previous episode leave latest and thus have less time in the next town, which would theoretically hinder their totals. So performing consistently poorly punishes a team every time, because you'd be literally behind on the next challenge.

Of course, with all the truck stop nonsense, that would probably not have as big an impact on the competition as the wacky shenanigans, and if the staggering were only 15 minutes (something I think we've seen before on this show) then a little creative driving could compensate for those at the top. Oooh! New idea, the differential between teams is how they determine how early you get to leave. So then being $1000 ahead means a big lead, literally, to the next location, whereas if you only won by $10, it's less of a head start.

I'd much rather see that sort of "race" element on the show than the "sell x amount and go get a token" type thing.

They counted everyone's cash boxes & staggered the departure times by 15 minutes, as you suggested, either at the end of the Beverly Hills leg or the San Francisco leg, so they were leaving every 15 minutes in a 2 hour timeframe; Frankfoota left 1 hour 45 minutes behind the others, being last in profits on the staggered departure leg. And that didn't hurt them, although I think they've been in the bottom 2 or 3 in each elimination leg so far (despite their Talking Head chick's vow, after the 1st elimination, that they'd never be at the bottom of the rankings again--& I took great pleasure when they were during the 2nd elimination after she said that).

dagny

dagny

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 6:05 PM

Of course, with all the truck stop nonsense, that would probably not have as big an impact on the competition as the wacky shenanigans, 

Didn't the show give some of the trucks a Denver boot to give another truck a head start after they won their "quick fire" challenge?  One day they are going to incorporate Cutthroat kitchen stuff into the show - give me $500 and you get the other guy's propane.

BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 6:30 PM

Didn't the show give some of the trucks a Denver boot to give another truck a head start after they won their "quick fire" challenge?  One day they are going to incorporate Cutthroat kitchen stuff into the show - give me $500 and you get the other guy's propane.

Yeah. I think it was last season--I remember seeing it again recently & the only eps that have aired recently, besides this season's eps, were from last season.

The trucks all got booted somewhere & had to stay until unlocked. Seoul Sausage, as I remember, won a challenge that resulted them being given this key, I think without explanation. They were mystified over it for a bit, then the light bulbs went off that it was the key to release their truck's boot & they were allowed to go to another/the next location & start selling there while the other trucks had to stay in place until unlocked. That's how I remember it anyway.

Lola16

Lola16

Fanatic

Posted Aug 28, 2013 @ 11:00 PM

Finally got to watch this week's show.  Meh.  Frankfoota weird looking chick just grates.  And the bowl people continue to under price their food.  Seriously, $9?  Why make change?  Why not $10 at least?   Philly electrician dude is still a cutie.  Not really pulling for anyone like the prior years but I so want Frankfoota to go.

bilgistic

bilgistic

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2013 @ 6:34 PM

And when the[ Frankfoota women] get to jumping around, it's like watching a couple of raccoons wrestling in a big sack of corn.

This made me laugh for a good minute! It reminded me of the line in Steel Magnolias, about a wedding guest wearing a dress with no girdle underneath: "Looks like two pigs fightin' under a blanket."

I'm pretty sure the Frankfootas (god, that name) are content to think they are going to coast through on their (what they think is their) cuteness. It's just cloying to me. Obnoxious NY gals are a dime a dozen; you aren't special, kids.

SomeJoeBlow

SomeJoeBlow

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 29, 2013 @ 6:37 PM

I don't really think the Frankfoota concept is anything special, and ordinarily I wouldn't root for them, but I'm pretty happy when they put the main girl on TV like 90 times an episode, so I don't mind if they stick around at the bottom every week..