The Great Food Truck Race

• Please log in to reply

2018 replies to this topic

whee whee piggy

whee whee piggy

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 24, 2013 @ 2:58 PM

One thing I was curious about is the woman who lost her restaurant in Sandy, she mentioned her husband had started it but than made no other mention of him and her two other teammates were described as friends. 

I'm assuming the next time she's on the chopping block we're going to see her sobbing about him being dead to save her ass.  I believe (from memory) that she said he started the restaurant in 1976, which would make him significantly older than her.  She looks ridden hard, but I wouldn't put her any older than early 50's and she's probably in her 40's.  

I hate reality show contestants with a seriously serious sob story.  Lost everything in a catastrophic event?  Too bad!  You didn't put enough parsley in your breakfast meatloaf!  You're outa here!  

Jensplace

Jensplace

Fanatic

Posted Aug 24, 2013 @ 4:23 PM

With this show, no amount of sob story can save you. It's all about the money.

hunterhunted

hunterhunted

Fanatic

Posted Aug 24, 2013 @ 6:08 PM

I would love for Boardwalk Breakfast Empire to win and promptly be served with a cease and desist from HBO.

I don't understand how the Aloha guys couldn't handle rice, but the Bowled girls could.

I'm a surprised that the Philly cheese steak guys are doing so well. LA & SF are pretty progressive food towns. I would think that the residents would be into more adventurous good. I'm in Austin and basic trucks like the Sambonis are usually hurting for business.

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Aug 24, 2013 @ 6:20 PM

I'm a surprised that the Philly cheese steak guys are doing so well.

I was surprised they were doing so well selling chicken (instead of beef) cheese steaks, if I'm getting a cheese steak sandwich, I want it to be a cheese steak sandwich.

BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe

Fanatic

Posted Aug 24, 2013 @ 7:45 PM

I figured they would pre bake a bunch of potatoes to use and keep warm if they wanted to go the route of baked potatoes.

I find it hard to believe that no one on the Murphy's Spud Truck was shown how to operate the propane valve. Even if FN monkeys were behind the scenes prepping the trucks between challenges, someone on the truck had to turn on the valve when they got to Beverly Hils and turn it off again before they could move locations from Beverly Hills to the centralized location. Right?

Responding to your 2nd paragraph. I totally agree with you.

They repeated the ep at 6PM Eastern tonight & I watched it again (partly 'cause nothing else interesting was on the other channels).

Murphy's Spud Truck made a grilled cheese sandwich as their signature item in Beverly Hills; that *clearly* would've involved the use of the truck's propane system in the preparation (unless they magically found another way to heat the sandwiches & deal with the "grilled" part of grilled cheese). So someone, presumably 1 of the 3 running the truck, obviously had to turn the propane on, & then off again when they were told to stop selling in Beverly Hills, or else how could they have even sold the paltry 12 sandwiches they did in the Beverly Hills leg of the race? They would've been selling salads again (or cold sandwiches) without knowing how to use the propane in Beverly Hills.

So if they successfully used the propane in Beverly Hills, how in the frack did they forget how to run it en route from Beverly Hills/LA to San Francisco??

Then again... this team was from LA & it took them forever to find Beverly Hills, which I'd bet most other Angelenos could do in their sleep, if not also the grocery they shopped at before selling in Beverly Hills. So I may have answered my own question: Not a lot of smarts among the 3 of them, separately or together.

I also didn't like when the chick from Frankfoota said, in a talking head during the elimination portion, she wanted the truck so much she'd run off with the keys to their truck if they were eliminated, instead of handing them over to Tyler. I'd like to see her try it!

Pache

Pache

Fanatic

Posted Aug 24, 2013 @ 8:16 PM

I'm assuming the next time she's on the chopping block we're going to see her sobbing about him being dead to save her ass.  I believe (from memory) that she said he started the restaurant in 1976, which would make him significantly older than her.  She looks ridden hard, but I wouldn't put her any older than early 50's and she's probably in her 40's. 

Wait a minute here! I get sick of the sob stories on Chopped as well, but that is a one shot show.  This is a series and she was cast, back story and all. What is she supposed to do? Pretend she was never married? If her husband is dead, pretend he never existed? Pretend that SHE started the restaurant all by herself? Pretend it wasn't destroyed in the hurricane?  It would be nice if they didn't cast people for "sob stories", but this woman has had a life and she shouldn't have to deny it.  As Jensplace said, this competition is decided completely on money earned, not sympathy, so why not have her story be what it is. The potato girl went home even though she had had bad illness.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Aug 24, 2013 @ 8:34 PM

I don't have a problem with someone in a show like this having a sad tale, but I don't like when it overshadows everything else. I feel badly for people who have been dealt a tough blow trying to get on their feet again in a venue like this.

xingcat

xingcat

Fanatic

Posted Aug 25, 2013 @ 9:03 PM

I'm wondering what that extra $100 added to the challenge was for...and why the hot dog women are still in this thing, when they are obviously really incompetent.

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Aug 25, 2013 @ 9:05 PM

Ugh, so now they're not waiting for the finale before they pull out the race crap, they're just going to stick it in wherever they feel like it. What a load of crap, they reached $200.00 first, they should have won without having to race to another destination.

CherokeeRose4

CherokeeRose4

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 25, 2013 @ 9:06 PM

Bummed about tonight's elimination. But yay for the Winners!

Based on first day menus the Breakfast truck is the only truck that I would have had any interest in purchasing from. I love breakfast food so right away this was one of my favorite trucks. I was really hoping the Hot Dog truck would be going home but I imagine that their day is coming sooner rather than later. For that goey duck...no truck could entice me!

Edited by TWoP Howard, Aug 26, 2013 @ 10:10 PM.
Once the episode has aired it's no longer a spoiler

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Aug 25, 2013 @ 9:11 PM

I'm wondering what that extra $100 added to the challenge was for...and why the hot dog women are still in this thing, when they are obviously really incompetent.

Because they had all planned out their portions & purchased all their food at that point, so they all had to figure out how to get double the portions out of what they had left. That's why the frankfoota truck didn't finish the challenge, they ran out of food. Since everyone else finished the challenge, they should have been penalized in some way.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Aug 25, 2013 @ 9:14 PM

Is this table with a prize/token going to be a staple from now on? Once again on a "race" show, one wrong turn can do you in. The guy with the hair on the Philly truck, Kris? He looks very familiar, as if I am remembering him from some other show.  

Those hot dog gals are annoying. Especially the one with the bow in her hair who does all the talking. Who knew making hot dogs for people could be such a difficult job? I'm sorry, but if I had anything at all to cook, as I believe they did (she said something about not having enough for two full orders or something lame), I'd make it work somehow. As it worked out, they didn't need to, but still.

WickedTuna

WickedTuna

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 25, 2013 @ 10:03 PM

Sounds like Portland is a tough place to have a food truck.

I was hoping Frankenfooters was going home.  The hair, the ribbons, those leggings! Ugh.  Not to mention they are such whiners.  I wonder if they realize how big those leggings make their thighs look.

I can't remember...did the Aloha truck grow up poor?  And they're from where, Hawaii I think?

Where did all those customers come from?  I went to the bathroom and they went from zero to about a million in just a few minutes.

Pallida

Pallida

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 25, 2013 @ 10:22 PM

I am not a fan of challenges that inhibit competitors from making informed decisions.  They should be allowed to assess risk and make decisions accordingly.  Several trucks got burned for being conservative in their purchasing simply because they had no idea they wouldn't be able to buy more that day.  The drama of determining exactly how much to buy would have been enough without throwing this extra wrench in.  I don't want random luck or premonition to determine who wins - I want strategic business planning.  (You know, like the bowls team missing the win in part because they undervalued their product.)

If they're going to provide advantages, I hope they bring back the taste challenges.  Presumably better tasting food would lead to more social media exposure, but the middle of the pack people could skate by on mediocre food if they make smart business decisions.  I want to know which trucks make better food!

I'm rooting for the Aloha Plate truck because they so far seem business smart.  I think the Slide Show, Bowled and Beautiful, and Tikka Tikka Taco have good food truck concepts as well.   

I was also hoping Frankfoota were going home.  I've seen gourmet hotdogs with fancy topping options, but I find them so obnoxious.  And maybe I shouldn't admit this, but I find their attempt to appear patriotic to be a pathetic attempt at trying to pull at the heartstrings of certain groups of people.  I guess maybe they were going for a "hot dogs are American!" theme, but it irks me. 

gryphon

gryphon

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 25, 2013 @ 10:59 PM

I guess maybe they were going for a "hot dogs are American!" theme, but it irks me. 

How can you get more American than a Star Spangled Ass?  

Sorry the Breakfast truck went home--hoping the obnoxious Philly boys go next.  The bowls still look like the best tasting dishes to me.  I'm looking forward to Idaho.  

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Aug 25, 2013 @ 11:09 PM

I agree with whoever said the stripes do nothing for making their legs or butt look small. And when they get to jumping around, it's like watching a couple of raccoons wrestling in a big sack of corn.

Gooey duck (or however it's spelled) looks like a male animal's appendage. Hey, I call 'em like I see 'em. I really figured when the girl said something about an elephant she was heading down that road, but veered off to the left instead. I would not know what to do with one. Aloha boys are kicking butt so far.

Too bad Tater Truck won't be around for Idaho.

BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe

Fanatic

Posted Aug 25, 2013 @ 11:12 PM

Sounds like Portland is a tough place to have a food truck.

I was hoping Frankenfooters was going home.  The hair, the ribbons, those leggings! Ugh.  Not to mention they are such whiners.  I wonder if they realize how big those leggings make their thighs look.

I can't remember...did the Aloha truck grow up poor?  And they're from where, Hawaii I think?

Where did all those customers come from?  I went to the bathroom and they went from zero to about a million in just a few minutes.

They can't get rid of Frankfoota fast enough for my tastes now, especially after they started snarking Tyler for how the game was being played that day (I think they made it sound as if he was leaving them, specifically, hanging on purpose at 1 point, & they were taking things way personally, like their truck was being picked on on purpose, most of the rest of the show).

Yes, Aloha Plate Truck is from Hawaii--the "Aloha" should be a giveaway there (smiles). They grew up rather poor on the island of Lana'i. And 1 of their guys is also named Lana'i. I'm rooting for them so I'm glad--& really surprised--they won this week.

I'm also glad they donated this week's proceeds to the Jersey team's Sandy relief charity. Not as good as them winning the whole shebang, but a nice gesture nonetheless.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Aug 25, 2013 @ 11:20 PM

I'm also glad they donated this week's proceeds to the Jersey team's Sandy relief charity. Not as good as them winning the whole shebang, but a nice gesture nonetheless.          

I agree, a very nice gesture. I was wondering how the show would eliminate them without looking like asshats, so I wasn't surprised.

BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe

Fanatic

Posted Aug 25, 2013 @ 11:39 PM

I agree with whoever said the stripes do nothing for making their legs or butt look small. And when they get to jumping around, it's like watching a couple of raccoons wrestling in a big sack of corn.

Gooey duck (or however it's spelled) looks like a male animal's appendage. Hey, I call 'em like I see 'em. I really figured when the girl said something about an elephant she was heading down that road, but veered off to the left instead. I would not know what to do with one. Aloha boys are kicking butt so far.

Too bad Tater Truck won't be around for Idaho.

It's spelled G-E-O-D-U-C-K, but pronounced "gooey duck"... I've never understood that either.

And, it didn't occur to me before but yeah, it's ironic--& too bad--the Spuds truck isn't going to Idaho. But with how directionally & technically challenged they proved to be, who knows if they'd have even found Idaho before the end of that leg.

I think Frankfoota should've had the amount of their parking ticket deducted from their proceeds this week, like the 2 trucks which hit a light post & another car last season had the insurance deductibles for those incidents deducted from their proceeds at the next eliminations after the accidents.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Aug 25, 2013 @ 11:44 PM

I thought Frankfoota's traffic ticket was deducted, because they mentioned it when they got it - it will be deducted, and I think said at the end they were lucky they didn't get eliminated with it being deducted.

Edited by chessiegal, Aug 25, 2013 @ 11:44 PM.

Pallida

Pallida

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 25, 2013 @ 11:55 PM

I guess restaurants may not want to divulge markups, but I think it'd be interesting to get a breakdown of their expenses and money in. I think the ticket was deducted as well, but the way they talked about the totals for the two teams was hard to follow.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2013 @ 12:02 AM

Just re-watched the episode  (insomnia is a curse), and at the end, Tyler said despite Frankfoota's $60 parking ticket, they still were not eliminated.

BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2013 @ 12:26 AM

Yeah, I watched again too. I guess they did deduct the ticket but they weren't quite as clear/obvious in mentioning it as it seemed they were with the 2 teams who got into the fender benders with the light pole & the other car last season.

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2013 @ 12:32 AM

I despise the name "Slide Show" for the slider truck. It sucks.

I actually don't like the Frankenfoota truck, but I do find a couple of the ladies attractive, so I'm glad that my eye candy is going to be around another week. Yeah, I know, Star Spangled Asses. A couple of the MILFs on the black and red truck are ok, too.

What I really hate is the race element, even though it didn't knock off the top team, I still don't like it. I mean the Hawaiian truck CREAMED them by a thousand bucks even WITH the free $500 for the second place team.

Finally, I don't care for the addition of the stunt ingredients, like this week's penis clams. I believe that the idea is that the food these people create should be the primary focus. If you go to a breakfast truck, you're not going there to get geoduck. Forcing the teams to cook with geoduck as a primary ingredient basically screws the integrity of their own food products. I mean, if I'm interested in opening a Philly cheesesteak truck it's because I want to sell Philly cheesesteaks, not fucking geoduck sandwiches.

Fuck Tyler and fuck his damn penis clams.

dagny

dagny

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2013 @ 9:30 AM

Murphy's Spud Truck made a grilled cheese sandwich as their signature item in Beverly Hills; that *clearly* would've involved the use of the truck's propane system in the preparation (unless they magically found another way to heat the sandwiches & deal with the "grilled" part of grilled cheese). So someone, presumably 1 of the 3 running the truck, obviously had to turn the propane on, & then off again when they were told to stop selling in Beverly Hills, or else how could they have even sold the paltry 12 sandwiches they did in the Beverly Hills leg of the race? They would've been selling salads again (or cold sandwiches) without knowing how to use the propane in Beverly Hills.

IIRC, they all cooked in Beverly Hills, then went to the Food Truck "resupply stop". They reloaded on ice and other truck supplies.  It was probably there that everyone got more propane and as part of the process, the valve was closed.  They made a mistake by not being very familiar with how the truck works.

Tyler has pull many cooking stunts from the get go.  The first season had established people with their own trucks and concepts.  One of the challenges was to butcher a side of cow.  One group brought it to a butcher, because they weren't real chef who knew how to butcher.  Another challenge was to cook with a dutch oven on a fire pit. The same group was lucky not to hurt themselves.

This season, it seams like most of the groups had at least one person who had gone to culinary school and weren't phased by the geoduck.  Both the Aloha and Slider groups knew what it was and rolled.

It is interesting the changes between the first season and this season. In both SF and Portland, the cities established Food Truck parks to deal with the proliferation of food trucks. I still don't understand why the Star Spangled asses didn't park in a parking lot while trying to figure it all out.

Did anyone else notice that outside of the $500 bonus, the Aloha group doubled the next competitor?  These guys knew how to price their stuff.  The other teams better start figuring this part out.

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2013 @ 9:51 AM

I am not a fan of challenges that inhibit competitors from making informed decisions.  They should be allowed to assess risk and make decisions accordingly.  Several trucks got burned for being conservative in their purchasing simply because they had no idea they wouldn't be able to buy more that day.

I agree.  I'd like the show more if it was  more about letting the teams compete by making smart, informed choices, and less about trying to screw with them. 

It seemed like in the first episode, there was a change-up where they had to use different ingredients, so if they over-bought they were screwed.  So , this time, they tried to be more conservative, and were screwed for that choice by not being able to shop more. 

The end result is that there's toomuch "dumb luck"  coming into play, and a good team, making thoughtful intelligent choices might end up losing to a team who just happened to have the right ingredient or location by pure chance.

THe Hot dog girl who does all the "talking heads'  bugs me  - something about her makeup and facial expressions, she seemes full of herself.  If they win. I'm done with the show, they have the least appeal in terms of their food and their personalities.  (to say nothing of their wardrobe choices)

potatoradio

potatoradio

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 26, 2013 @ 10:19 AM

Fuck Tyler and fuck his damn penis clams

Yeah, I used to like TF, but this whole "Muahhh hahhh ahhhhh" evol BS persona he's trying so hard to create now is just f*ck all annoying. Especially given that I sit through it and then my only option on FN after this show is the even more dreadful "cut throat kitchen." Is it me or is the show now introducing even more "speed bumps," "truck stops," "stupid arse foot races"? Because, like CTK, this show was jumpy and had no flow and I got super irritated watching it. Super job, producers!

Of course they're going to keep Star Spangled Asses. Of course. You know, show, if I wanted to be subjected to bunch of screaming 14-year-olds in braids and ribbons, I could find a junior high car wash on any given Saturday. Would it kill the producers to find a few more women contestants who don't feel the need to scream like 12-year-olds at a Beebs concert? Ladies of Bowled, screaming and hair ribbons are not fountains of youth. I'd probably like your food, but I'm afraid of all the shrieking you do. Please stop. I'm wearing out my mute button fast.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2013 @ 10:44 AM

I seriously doubt Tyler Florence has any input on how this show is done. He is being paid to show up and host it. The twists and turns are being done by show runners and producers.

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2013 @ 12:15 PM

potatoradio -

I'm having the same reaction you are.  Between this show and "Cut-Throat", the attitude is "let's fuck with the contestants" just to see what happens.   it just seems too mean-spirited to be entertaining.

Totale

Totale

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 26, 2013 @ 12:34 PM

I seriously doubt Tyler Florence has any input on how this show is done. He is being paid to show up and host it. The twists and turns are being done by show runners and producers.

I'll go along with that.  Knowing that they'd be pulling one low class dirtbag move after another on the contestants, their only problem was finding a smug enough low class dirtbag to deliver the blows.  Good choice, show.