The Great Food Truck Race

• Please log in to reply

2018 replies to this topic

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Sep 3, 2012 @ 2:11 PM

I didn't watch this ep w/rapt attention, but I didn't see how Seoul 'Sausage' could do anything but win this week with the rewards from that truck stop: $400 to the till & (only) they can remove the boot from their truck? When (if) I re-watch, I'll have to pay attention to the difference between them & 2nd place in total sales.

I agree, but I think that is fine. It's no different than if they had given them immunity, except that they still had to work to make sure they kept it.

wematanye

wematanye

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 3, 2012 @ 2:23 PM

...I didn't see how Seoul 'Sausage' could do anything but win this week with the rewards from that truck stop: $400 to the till & (only) they can remove the boot from their truck? When (if) I re-watch, I'll have to pay attention to the difference between them & 2nd place in total sales.

It was $500, I think. I don't remember the exact amount by which they won, but I paid attention to see how much they were ahead, and they would have won without the bonus. I imagine that had a little to do with being able to go to the game, but they would've been high in the pack regardless. They were at the game for less than two hours.

Bungalow Joy

Bungalow Joy

Stalker

Posted Sep 3, 2012 @ 2:37 PM

Ah, the wheel boot. Thank you, Denver, for the memories.

I'm sad-ish to see the pizza guys go. I just wonder what they could have done with a completely realized truck, with oven. It has cool possibilities, to also become a fresh pizza delivery service. They can run with it and still be successful without brick and mortar. In fact, I wonder if the trucks can offer delivery like that after hours, or if there are operating issues that bar it. Or production issues that force them to retire at a certain time.

FriedButter

FriedButter

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 3, 2012 @ 2:59 PM

The biggest penalty in the history of the show?

I'm lost without closed captioning for the commercials. I thought he said 'one team will be leaving in disgrace'. I felt kind of silly when I heard it again during the rerun. I didn't realize they gave out penalties.

I was wondering if the trucks could have left before the guy got the boots on. I guess I've seen Parking Wars too many times because my first thought was run!

Leighdear

Leighdear

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 3, 2012 @ 3:21 PM

First place sold $4,561.00 and 2nd place sold $3,911.00. Exactly $650 difference. So counting the $500 bounty, not exactly a landslide win of $150.

Edited by Leighdear, Sep 3, 2012 @ 3:28 PM.

urlittledogtoo

urlittledogtoo

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 3, 2012 @ 3:47 PM

I'm not dissing the Asian teams (and I said 'Asian' specifically because they were all from different backgrounds in East Asia - Vietnam, Korea, wherever that second season team was from I don't recall). What I am saying is not that they are smarter or more efficient or superior in some way or that they think they are. What I am saying is people LOVE different kinds of Asian food - Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, Thai - and that finding really good food in a lot of places is not that easy. So a food truck that offers what apparently is really good Asian food of whatever type tends to wipe the floor of the food trucks selling more usual mundane American fare of whatever type. And I say this as a person with a family that is entirely half Asian (Japanese in my case). It's the food. It just tends to win. So I'd like to see a season without Asian food (of whatever type) to see how the other teams do when they are just competing with regular American fare you can find in any town. That would be a real test of their know how and skills.

I do wonder why the Asian team each season completely wipes the floor the entire contest and then at the last minute somehow doesn't win? I'll have to pay attention to that. Hmmm.

The truck stop challenges are so stupid. The boot. Waiting until the teams have spent all of their available money and planned their menus then telling them they have to make and sell something completely different. Etc. That's not really a way to determine who is most deserving, it's just a way to create false drama. I realize this is TV and they need drama, but I hate it when the drama is at the expense of the actual contest itself.

But I'll tune in next week, chump that I am.

PoorKitty

PoorKitty

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 3, 2012 @ 7:19 PM

And head Mamma, please put some sun screen on. Your white/red pattern from the fat rolls on your neck shading certain spots is freaking me out.

whee whee piggy, that was great! Those rings around her neck were bugging me too.

So I'd like to see a season without Asian food (of whatever type) to see how the other teams do when they are just competing with regular American fare you can find in any town.

Or how about they make everyone cook an Asian menu the entire season to "test their know how and skills"?

The Seoul Sausage guys are certainly one of the more likeable teams and aside from their food tasting good, they probably have the lowest food cost of any of them with their biggest seller consisting of little more than rice and spam. More power to 'em.

I hated the boot penalty and felt sorry for the pizza guys who really got screwed by it, but they started digging the hole the night before at the ballpark by running out of food, which I thought was just stupid. When they were buying the rolls the first day for the Italian beef sandwiches, one guy asks how many in a bag--it was eighteen--and said "let's get four bags and we'll have some for tomorrow" I was flabbergasted. They were expecting to sell less than 72 sandwiches??

I just find the pop-a-waffle guys annoying. Between the flags, handlebar mustaches and the fact that two of 'em look like those old timey strongmen and I'm ready for them to go.

I thought for sure I'd hate the Jersey girls, but they seem quite pleasant and nothing like the stereotype.

Mama Grizzlie's food still looks like slop.

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2012 @ 7:59 PM

First place sold $4,561.00 and 2nd place sold $3,911.00. Exactly $650 difference. So counting the $500 bounty, not exactly a landslide win of $150.

Considering the advantages the sausage guys had, I now have a lot more respect for the second placers.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Sep 3, 2012 @ 8:05 PM

It really didn't seem the boot was that big of a hindrance to anyone but the pizza guys because of their location, but there seemed to be constant crowds where the other trucks were so moving might have actually hurt Seoul Sausage because you have to close down the truck and then take time to set back up again at the new location.

eireann113

eireann113

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2012 @ 8:15 PM

Seoul Sausage did move, though. They went back to the ballpark.

It might be interesting to see it come down to a judge's decision for who goes home out of the bottom two and not just have it based entirely on sales numbers. They can figure out who had the worst luck versus who made the stupidest decision. I mean, if somebody who was in the crowded area the whole time sold only $5 more food than the Pizza Guys, I'd send the other home because the Pizza Guys had the biggest disadvantage with the boot.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Sep 3, 2012 @ 8:16 PM

Seoul Sausage did move, though. They went back to the ballpark.

I am aware of that, I was saying that moving might have actually hurt their sales totals because of the downtime involved in moving to a new location.

eireann113

eireann113

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2012 @ 8:24 PM

Oh, yeah, sorry I misunderstood the original comment. That's definitely a valid point -- there's moving time and set-up time and the other location was quite crowded.

SomeJoeBlow

SomeJoeBlow

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 3, 2012 @ 9:18 PM

That was a total garbage Speed Bump. It's not like it was a disadvantage the teams could overcome through sheer hustle or ingenuity -- the pizza guys were completely screwed with no way of overcoming it. I thought they came up with a really clever *FIRST* stop (I love the mutts!), but Food Network sticking them with the same spot, even though all the other trucks basically lined themselved up in the same captive lot wasn't fair at all.

There really aren't any trucks left I even care about..

needschocolate

needschocolate

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2012 @ 12:29 AM

I understand having speed bumps and truck stops - it could get boring watching people cook adn sell food for an hour, but they should try to make them something that could actually happen to a food truck (at least for one of the challenges). Real life food trucks aren't going to suddenly not be able to move or be in a city where there is suddenly a law that they have to sell only vegan food. They should have things like a burner goes out or a cop comes and tells them they can't sell where they are and they have to move.

Cgr

Cgr

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2012 @ 5:41 AM

As much as I enjoy food contest shows I am really bored with this show. I think it is leaving my season pass list. It all seems to be DRAMA and not much cooking. We shall see how bored I am with Sunday evening TV if I watch again.

Brooklynista

Brooklynista

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2012 @ 8:39 AM

I normally just have this show playing in the background so help me out. Is there anything other that the mini-challenges that actually gauges the taste/quality of the food these trucks are serving? I mean it's great that a team can add prickly cactus to a dish for a challenge, but how does the food you normally serve actually taste?

The food Mamma Grizzlies serve look like regular bad cafeteria food, what would happen if they had to put their food on a table next to Seoul Sausage for judges like Chopped?

Edited by Brooklynista, Sep 4, 2012 @ 8:41 AM.

GoMocs

GoMocs

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2012 @ 9:13 AM

As somebody else alluded to, how can there be a bigger penalty than ever this week than kicking the Korilla guys out? Only thing I can think of is some of them are arrested and kicked out of the show.

The "boots" was basically not fair. The pizza truck was basically elminated by the show by cutting their selling time down significantly. They actually made what looks like a good decision to park at the dog show, then FN basically boots them out. The "conspiracy" part of me says that the FN could have held that "boot" roadbump for whenever they want and effectively eliminate a truck who did something similiar.

I echo all the comments about the equipment. Very uneven playing field. The pizza guys were given a truck that could not cook their product, an oven would be way more expensive than any seed money given them, then they were "booted" out of the competition.

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2012 @ 9:41 AM

I normally just have this show playing in the background so help me out. Is there anything other that the mini-challenges that actually gauges the taste/quality of the food these trucks are serving? I mean it's great that a team can add prickly cactus to a dish for a challenge, but how does the food you normally serve actually taste?

I agree, that's an element that's missing. the winners and losers are determined by one day sales. In the real world, you have to serve good food in order to get repeat customers. On this show, it doesn't matter as much what the food tastes like, as long as you an convince customers it's going to be great, they buy it.
People can be drawn to the energy/cuteness/personality of the vendors, but then hate the food. Too late, the sale is what counts.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Sep 4, 2012 @ 11:21 AM

The food Mamma Grizzlies serve look like regular bad cafeteria food, what would happen if they had to put their food on a table next to Seoul Sausage for judges like Chopped?

That's a great question. Perhaps if enough people complain, they will incorporate this into every contest next time around. The guest judge/chef who tasted what they did with the ingredient that gave Waffle Guys immunity is as close as they've come to having the actual quality/taste of the food count for anything. I did not see this week's episode as I was out of town and forgot to set the DVR but it sounds like I didn't miss much. Having to watch a group of guys trying to recover from losing their restaurant get "booted" off the show would have had me fuming.

SomeJoeBlow

SomeJoeBlow

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 4, 2012 @ 12:27 PM

On another note, how much did Food Network pay the Amarillo Sox and their concession manager to basically convince everybody to forego ballpark food in favor of waiting until after the game was over to eat at FOOD TRUCKS? I know if I was there, I would have been stuffed and already had a couple of beers by the time the 7th inning stretch came around...but, apparently, Amarillo Sox fans were just dying to eat a really late night meal. And the guy in charge of everything was willing to let food trucks eat into his business on multiple nights..

NYGirl

NYGirl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2012 @ 8:02 PM

I call foul on the poor pizza guys. Believe it or not the pizza did not look bad at all. Imagine how it would have been if they had an actual..I dunno..maybe an oven?

I hate the speed bumps and they don't add anything to the show. I seem to remember them being all about the food in earlier seasons. Now they are stupid.

I thought they were the most likeable team. Now I have nobody to root for :(

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2012 @ 11:26 PM

Is there anything other that the mini-challenges that actually gauges the taste/quality of the food these trucks are serving?

Nope. It's strictly by how much they sell. I guess the thinking is that the more they sell, the more people must like their food. If it tasted terrible, I would think word of mouth down the line would cause people to leave.

dfwabel

dfwabel

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 5, 2012 @ 4:10 AM

On another note, how much did Food Network pay the Amarillo Sox and their concession manager to basically convince everybody to forego ballpark food in favor of waiting until after the game was over to eat at FOOD TRUCKS? I know if I was there, I would have been stuffed and already had a couple of beers by the time the 7th inning stretch came around...but, apparently, Amarillo Sox fans were just dying to eat a really late night meal. And the guy in charge of everything was willing to let food trucks eat into his business on multiple nights.

This show lives on placement. In Lubbock, the booted trucks were in front of a United Supermarket and that company has talked about what they did/sold to those trucks. The Sox are an independent team who probably used the cash from United to assist in their concession loss or split it. The day the trucks were there was also the team's Opening Day/night, so the grocer (United) could have sponsored discounted game tickets, and the team would have made more money off of beer sales and parking.

Heck, the upcoming week is in Fayetteville, AK and the HQ of Tyson Foods in in nearby Springdale. Another city which the Koreans can bloom yet meat cost be low or just provided if it is chicken or pork. I do give them credit in that they often find appropriate markets, but they also still have google. I am surprised that no team has tried to use stores like the 99cents store on the west coast or Dollar Tree nationally for some starches for items which they know could be used quickly or just frozen. If you are in a town for 36 hours, why not go to a dollar store for bread or a Bimbo/Hostess thrift store?

Edited by dfwabel, Sep 5, 2012 @ 4:12 AM.

needschocolate

needschocolate

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2012 @ 9:40 AM

I am surprised that no team has tried to use stores like the 99cents store on the west coast or Dollar Tree nationally for some starches for items which they know could be used quickly or just frozen. If you are in a town for 36 hours, why not go to a dollar store for bread or a Bimbo/Hostess thrift store?

I wonder if they are only allowed to shop at specified places this season. I haven't seen anyone go to a restaurant and buy food at close to wholesale prices - something often seen in past seasons.

Quorwyf

Quorwyf

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 6, 2012 @ 9:30 AM

Hard to say really. In previous seasons many of the competitors came from a professional cooking background and had contacts from there that they could utilize. The only ones who might have those kind of contacts this time around is the Coast group and they seem unlikeable enough to not have them.

Bungalow Joy

Bungalow Joy

Stalker

Posted Sep 6, 2012 @ 12:48 PM

In real life they'd be buying wholesale from regular vendors. Crossing borders where every state has its own taxation and permit process, the contestants lose another advantage that normal business offers. Maybe that's offset by the fact that they have more business, being on TV, than they'd normally have. You can bet that if your truck is booted you pay the fine so you can leave. You don't just sit there.

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2012 @ 12:40 AM

You can bet that if your truck is booted you pay the fine so you can leave. You don't just sit there.

This challenge would have made more sense if they had a choice of staying where they were booted or paying a "fine" from whatever money they had made so far so that they could leave. At least the pizza guys would have had a chance if they could have sold enough to make up for paying the fine.

Quorwyf

Quorwyf

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 7, 2012 @ 1:33 AM

This challenge would have made more sense if they had a choice of staying where they were booted or paying a "fine" from whatever money they had made so far so that they could leave.

I assumed that was how the challenge was going to work when I saw the boots in a commercial. I recall them doing something like that w/ tow trucks in another season.

lafawndenise

lafawndenise

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 7, 2012 @ 3:58 PM

The one thing I did like about the Amarillo episode was that a mystery judge tasted each truck's food which gave Seoul Sausage the advantage with the key; made it feel like a food quality contest as well as sales contest. Hated that Pizza guys lost, I'm still hoping Coast Of Atlanta is next to go. The leader's surly coutenance and thinking that 'since we're all chefs then we should have this in the bag' attitude annoys me. The smiling and enthusiastic attitude of Seoul Sausage and Nonna's is infectious, plus as another poster mentioned, they have food that Americans love - Asian and Italian. Pop-A-Waffle are fun, but I frankly see them as limited by their particular food choice; not everyone is a waffle fan. Don't know what to think about Mama Grizzly yet, but I have to say their food is the least visually appealing but it may taste good.

This is my first exposure to the race so I'm not jaded by previous seasons, so I'm really enjoying it so far.

talley

talley

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 8, 2012 @ 12:05 PM

Hello!

Signed up just so I could comment here. Meant to do earlier but life got in the way. Anyway, I am from Amarillo and was here when all this went down. I saw all of these trucks at the United Market Street parking lot on Saturday afternoon, and I thought ARE THEY HERE? Jumped on line and saw that they were, and I'd missed the ballpark part. The ballpark is open so some of those customers were not there for the "sold out" game. By the time I got to the lot(which is interesting due to the ep showing something different) I saw a couple of the trucks leaving. Only Georgia one and the Korean guys were open for business. We did the Korean guys because this is Amarillo, other than basic Thai/Chinese we do not have much else in Asian food. The guys were super nice and the spicy balls were great! I'd gotten more but we were on the way to a dinner with the inlaws and uncles. The guys were asking where they could go Sunday morning and I was expecting to see that but I guess they let them make money for themselves versus the show money.

Amarillo has a few tamale/taco trucks that are permanently parked in our off downtown area, so that should answer why Amarilloians would forgo expensive same old ballpark food for something so DIFFERNT AND AN EXPERIENCE.

We also took our dog just a few blocks to Memorial Park on Sunday and saw the pizza guys truck. It was maybe two o'clock. They had a sign up and it had a sign that I don't remember exactly how it was stated but that they were closed. It's been awhile since they were here and confused. The Muttfest was a one day event and I just went and checked and "Muttfest 2012 kicks off at noon on Sunday." Also this was on their list of who was there: "Nonna's Kitchenette will be there with their Food Network film crew!!! Nona's did not make it but their friends Pete's Pizza did. Yummm."

Very confusing but it was fun and exciting for us to know the show was here and I actually ate at one of the trucks. The guys really were nice and friendly. Took time to talk and made jokes; however the balls took a pretty long time to cook. The camera people were always moving about but I did not see any of the time we were there on screen. Mostly very early portion was when more people were there.