The Killing: Forbrydelsen Comes to AMC

• Please log in to reply

7154 replies to this topic

portiaslegacy

portiaslegacy

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 24, 2011 @ 10:18 PM

Finally found this thread. I was thinking of starting my own with an ungainly title like "It's Based on something Danish, but We'll compare it to Twin Peaks, Prime Suspect, Murder One, etc." So glad that is not happening.

Any way thus far the reviews are pretty good. Entertainment Weekly TV Guide gave it a good review too, but I cant find that on line. I really like Mirelle Enos on Big Love. There is something indescribable about her. It is like you just get used to her being there until you are all wrapped up in the intenseness. And I've been a fan of Michelle Forbes and Billy Campbell for years.

Any way I have not seen the original Danish version, and even if I did I don't speak Danish so I could not compare the dialogue. (I've also never been to Seattle). I did not like Cold Case, but I am willing to chalk that up to CBS. The graphics for the series are all over the map, and kind of bland. But despite these things I am looking forward to this.

InigoMontoya

InigoMontoya

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2011 @ 11:02 AM

The DVD with English subtitles of the original, Forbyrdelsen (if you replace the "bryd" with "brood," it's pronounced how it looks), is available to pre-order now at Amazon's uk site. It's not cheap. It is officially released on April 4th and can play on any multi-regional player.

A warning, however. If you watch, you will be compelled to buy one of these and you will no longer say "thank you" but instead say "tak." It is inevitable.

There's a panel discussion here, in English, featuring David Madden, head of Fox TV Studios and various other bodies involved with AMC's version and/or the original. It's about an hour long and mostly about how the show came to be on American television. There are no spoilers on plot points for either although there are some clips (a few side-by-side of each), including the last five minutes of the pilot episode of AMC's The Killing.

The marketing is perplexing me. I don't think I've read an advanced review yet that doesn't compare it to Twin Peaks, something the producers seem to be encouraging. There are superficial similarities - location, murder of a girl, time spent with her family. But otherwise, it seems counterproductive. Those attracted by the comparison will be quickly disappointed by the lack of quirk that defined Twin Peaks and those repelled by the comparison, who might otherwise like it, won't turn up in the first place.

Edited by InigoMontoya, Mar 31, 2011 @ 12:01 PM.

portiaslegacy

portiaslegacy

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 31, 2011 @ 1:26 PM

Salon has given it a great review.

Regarding Twin Peaks similarities: There is the Washington State, Investigation into the murder of teenage girl, focus on the grieving family and friends, the fact that every episode covers one day... I don't think you can have these similarities and not get compared to Twin Peaks. Season 1 of Veronica Mars could easily be seen as a recasting of Twin Peaks and it just had dead teen girl (though both were quirky the quirks were distinct). In America you can't tell a story about investigating a murdered teenage girl without being compared to Twin Peaks.

Besides which the ads are all over the map. I like the texting ones, but TPTB have not found a grounded visual identity for the show. The title card is so bland in looks like some cable channel's generic pre-program ratings announcement, and it has nothing to do with the "Who Killed Rosie Larsen" posters or the texting internet popups. It's kind of annoying because I really do want to see it, I just hate bad promos.

noisack

noisack

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2011 @ 11:14 PM

There are no spoilers on plot points for either although there are some clips (a few side-by-side of each), including the last five minutes of the pilot episode of AMC's The Killing.

Thanks for the link, although the last five minutes of the AMC pilot certainly qualify as spoilerrific.

The clips do answer a few of the questions I had about the American version which I hadn't seen addressed elsewhere. The best news for me is that they're keeping the music and that they're using it the same way. One of my favorite aspects of the Danish original is how it uses the score in the montage that closes each episode. And the American show has kept that. Good call.

There are one or two things the American show has improved on, especially (spoilers for the AMC pilot) that shot of "Rosie" floating in water inside the trunk. The Danish trunk was dry. But I was bothered by the other changes. The most egregious one is the choice to have "Linden" carry a gun. Lund's attitude towards her gun is a key part of the character, underlining both her vulnerability and her strength, and I'm shocked the American writers decided to throw that away. Also shameless is the choice to have the boys witness their mother's reaction to the news of "Rosie's" death. That's just blatant manipulation. Some might prefer this approach to the scene in the Danish original where Pernille and Theis tell the boys about Nanna, but I thought that scene was beautifully done.

Talented as the American cast is, it can't help being at a disadvantage in the eyes of those of us who spent 20 hours in the company of that sterling Danish cast. There are a few head-smacking casting decisions, such as the completely different demographic of "Richmond's" campaign aide. But surely no one can object to actors of the caliber of Michelle Forbes. And yet I think she's completely wrong for the part, much too steely and fierce. There was an initial calm and softness to Ann Eleonora Jørgensen's Pernille that we got to watch disintegrate under the weight of the events. Forbes is such an intense actress, she walks in cranked up to 11. And while I cede to no one in my love for Brent Sexton, I must admit that even such a wonderful actor can't really erase the memory of Bjarne Henriksen's Theis, which happens to be my favorite male acting performance of the past few years. Let's not even bring up Sofie Gråbøl. Instead, I'll just wish Mireille Enos a lot of luck.

I'm certainly willing to give the American show a shot (with Rubicon, AMC earned the right to have me sample all their pilots), but here's hoping an American channel eventually picks up the subtitled original.

Edited by noisack, Mar 31, 2011 @ 11:17 PM.

JoleneBrown

JoleneBrown

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 31, 2011 @ 11:40 PM

I was really excited about this show but the promos are so awful they have made me much less excited. I'm hoping they're just misleading. I feel like they're trying to make it look like a thriller or something instead of the quietly suspenseful mystery I'm hoping for and it's just not very appealing.

Bkwrm

Bkwrm

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 31, 2011 @ 11:45 PM

The most egregious one is the choice to have "Linden" carry a gun. Lund's attitude towards her gun is a key part of the character, underlining both her vulnerability and her strength, and I'm shocked the American writers decided to throw that away.

In America, police officers are required to carry their weapons on duty.

noisack

noisack

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2011 @ 7:39 AM

In America, police officers are required to carry their weapons on duty.

In Demark, too. It's just that Lund chose to keep hers nearby, usually in the glove compartment of her car, not on her person. There were plot complications resulting from this choice in the Danish original. I'll be curious to see how the American version handles those.

I feel like they're trying to make it look like a thriller or something instead of the quietly suspenseful mystery I'm hoping for

In fairness to the American version, Forbrydelsen had plenty of moments that went beyond merely suspenseful and well into thriller territory.

InigoMontoya

InigoMontoya

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2011 @ 10:09 AM

There are a few more reviews.

From James Poniewozik who ends his review as follows:

The Killing itself is a slow burn, or rather drizzle. Three episodes in, I can tell you that I'm drawn in by the characters and eager to see a fourth; I can't guess whether the story is finally going to be satisfying, and the show is deliberate and sparing in parceling out details on the case. But it's so far moving and captivating. Though the milieu is a little different, and the narrative style very different, there's something in The Killing that reminds me of The Lovely Bones: a murder story that's less about the killing than about the fact that a murder is a crime that does not end when the victim stops breathing.

Alan Sepinwall who says, in the comments on someone asking if it is Twin Peaks-lite:

As I've said every time Twin Peaks comes up, these two shows could not be more tonally different. Yes, both take place in the Pacific Northwest and have a murdered teenage girl, but I never once thought about Laura Palmer, Agent Cooper, etc., while watching this.

Mo Ryan.

Televisionary.

I love this quote from Billy Campbell in the Daily Beast regarding the original:

“I watched practically the whole thing, 16 or so episodes out of 20, in one day. My eyes were bleeding, but I could not peel myself away.”

Edited by InigoMontoya, Apr 1, 2011 @ 10:32 AM.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Apr 1, 2011 @ 10:43 AM

That is a great quote from Billy Campbell, Inigo, but it is prefaced by:

"I was trapped in the Newark airport for 24 hours," he said,

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2011 @ 11:13 AM

Sundays are going to kick my dvr's ass.

but here's hoping an American channel eventually picks up the subtitled original.

That's the thing though. I can't think of an American channel that would show 20 episodes of subtitled television. The only channels I could think of maybe doing it are IFC or Sundance, but who knows if they'd be interested or if it would make financial sense for them.

I wonder if a Region 1 dvd will ever be made available because I'd love to see the original at some point.

Edited by hardy har, Apr 1, 2011 @ 11:14 AM.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Apr 1, 2011 @ 11:43 AM

Tell me about it.

This show sounds really good and interesting. It will fit right in with my Sunday lineup.

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted Apr 1, 2011 @ 11:47 AM

Right?? Sundays from 9-11 specifically. Mildred Pierce (although that'll be over in a few weeks), I've kind of gotten into Breakout Kings, and now this. As it is I'm recording the second showing of this and the ... third showing, I think, of Breakout Kings that airs at 2 AM. Thank God Mad Men isn't coming back until 2025 or whenever.

I read Alan Sepinwall's review this morning, and I typically agree with him. I'm curious about this and apprehensive that he compares it to Rubicon, which my TiVo recorded as a suggestion and which bored me to tears. But it doesn't sound like this is boring.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Apr 1, 2011 @ 12:31 PM

I read Alan Sepinwall's review this morning, and I typically agree with him. I'm curious about this and apprehensive that he compares it to Rubicon, which my TiVo recorded as a suggestion and which bored me to tears. But it doesn't sound like this is boring.

That causes me a bit of hesitation as well. I tried and tried with Rubicon, but it would put me to sleep.

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Apr 1, 2011 @ 12:35 PM

That's the thing though. I can't think of an American channel that would show 20 episodes of subtitled television. The only channels I could think of maybe doing it are IFC or Sundance, but who knows if they'd be interested or if it would make financial sense for them.

Maybe AMC on demand. I wish they'd go back and replay all of Hustle. They cut off in the middle of "season" 4.

I just saw the ads for this the other day. Looks intriguing. Love Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead was great, too. Tried getting into Rubicon, but was bored, too.

Interesting to see Scandinavian detective works being mined for shows. The popularity of Millenium books (The Girl Who...) really put them on the map.

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2011 @ 12:41 PM

Can anyone explain to me why some reviews are referencing Twin Peaks in their headlines? I'm avoiding reviews because I don't want to be spoiled, but . . . the fuck? I only ask because I've seen Twin Peaks and, other than the Pacific NW setting, I didn't get any TP vibes from the trailers or ads for The Killing.

Right?? Sundays from 9-11 specifically.

I couldn't get into Breakout Kings, but I've got to keep track of *deep breath* The Killing, Mildred Peirce, Game of Thrones, The Borgias, Masterpiece Theater (shut up!), and Camelot (for the lolz).

Scheduling gods, why do you hate me so?

Edited by hardy har, Apr 1, 2011 @ 1:00 PM.

irishmaple

irishmaple

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2011 @ 12:41 PM

I'll admit to being one of the few people who liked Rubicon and stuck with it to the end, so that comparison works for me! In contrast, I never got beyond one season of Mad Men or two episodes in any season of Breaking Bad. I'm looking forward to this though my PVR is also looking a little stressed on Sunday nights. On top of the shows previously listed, Bravo Canada is running The Borgias at 10 pm!

Whisperia

Whisperia

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2011 @ 1:38 PM

Can anyone explain to me why some reviews are referencing Twin Peaks in their headlines? I'm avoiding reviews because I don't want to be spoiled, but . . . the fuck? I only ask because I've seen Twin Peaks and, other than the Pacific NW setting, I didn't get any TP vibes from the trailers or ads for The Killing.

Sepinwall tweeted about that earlier today because he keeps getting asked about it. He said that aside from being set in the Pacific NW and being centered around a murdered teenager, it couldn't be more tonally different from Twin Peaks. I think comparing every show with a dark and/or quirky theme or a Pacific NW setting to Twin Peaks is just laziness on the part of the reviewers who do it.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Apr 1, 2011 @ 2:45 PM

The only channels I could think of maybe doing it are IFC or Sundance

Both of which are owned by the Rainbow Media division of Cablevision. Rainbow will be spun off and renamed AMC Networks this summer.

Cablevision is on track to spin out its cable-networks business, under the Rainbow Media umbrella, to shareholders by mid-2011. ... Once the deal closes, Cablevision will be a pure-play cable systems company.

Rainbow Media is slated to be renamed AMC Networks Inc. in a nod to its most popular channel. The company plans to house its Women’s Entertainment Network, WE tv; IFC; and the Sundance Channel under the AMC Networks name.

darwin

darwin

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2011 @ 3:19 PM

I can't think of an American channel that would show 20 episodes of subtitled television.

HBO broadcast two seasons of Epitafios. However, that show was an HBO Latin America production.
I'm hoping Forbrydelsen ends up on Netflix streaming.

Medium Rare

Medium Rare

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 1, 2011 @ 3:22 PM

I wonder if a Region 1 dvd will ever be made available because I'd love to see the original at some point.

I do believe that Forbrydelsen is still showing on the BBC4 website (although this may be the final weekend - so you've got an excuse for a viewing marathon!). As I mentioned in an earlier post, there's a very easy work-around to enable non-UK viewers like us to watch episodes on the website. This is how I viewed the Danish original.

InigoMontoya

InigoMontoya

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2011 @ 3:36 PM

The problem with iPlayer is that the earliest episodes drop off week by week. Episodes 1-7 are gone.

Whisperia

Whisperia

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2011 @ 4:58 PM

Further to discussion above about reviewers inappropriately comparing this to Twin Peaks, here is a NYT review that compares The Killing to the Canadian crime drama Durham County. I've seen all of Durham County (fantastic show, you should dig it up if you haven't seen it), and based on what I've heard and seen about The Killing, it seems a much more apt comparison. It's not really the same concept, but is a very dark crime drama centered on a detective (Mike Sweeney played by Hugh Dillon) and follows the path of the investigation of one crime (or set of related crimes) over the course of a season. There are three seasons of only 6 episodes each. And, coincidentally, Michelle Forbes stars in the second season of it. Which, unfortunately, is the weakest of the three, but still worth checking out.

Edited by Whisperia, Apr 1, 2011 @ 5:00 PM.

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2011 @ 4:06 AM

I just hope the avoid the ugly stereotypes of rain, latte & software.

The most egregious one is the choice to have "Linden" carry a gun. Lund's attitude towards her gun is a key part of the character, underlining both her vulnerability and her strength, and I'm shocked the American writers decided to throw that away.

An American audience might see the character as "quirky" for not carrying a gun, like Columbo.

Also, although I haven't checked the statistics, I wouldn't be surprised if the gun ownership rate in the US is higher than that of Denmark.

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2011 @ 10:30 AM

An American audience might see the character as "quirky" for not carrying a gun, like Columbo.

Yeah . . . I have no idea if cops typically carry weapons in Denmark, but guns are certainly prevalent in our (American) crime shows. No joke: if I'm ever watching a non-American crime show and law enforcement folks don't have them all I start thinking is "Damn, where are their guns?!" Hell, one of the biggest complaints American crime shows get from the cops I know is that TV/movie cops pull and fire their weapons exponentially more that real cops do. I don't know that I'd describe it as quirky, but I think her not carrying a gun is a more interesting characteristic even thought that's been done before too. I would need several extra sets of hand to count the number of shows/movies I've seen where the lead detective sees their gun as an extension of their arm.

BTW, thanks to the posters, trying to help me find a way to view the original. If The Killing does well they'll probably release it later on which is fine. I've always been good at separating an original with a remake/reimagining/whatever they're called now, so it will all work out eventually.

Edited by hardy har, Apr 2, 2011 @ 10:33 AM.

InigoMontoya

InigoMontoya

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2011 @ 3:29 AM

Pleased (although surprised given the lack of volume of anticipatory comment) that this show will be recapped.

prop joe

prop joe

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 3, 2011 @ 4:14 AM

I'll admit to being one of the few people who liked Rubicon and stuck with it to the end, so that comparison works for me! In contrast, I never got beyond one season of Mad Men or two episodes in any season of Breaking Bad. 10 pm!

Same here. Although, I never tried Breaking Bad [probably will in future], but I loved Rubicon [I think it's one of the best series of the last few years] and didn't love Mad Men as much as most people, and stopped watching it after couple of episodes into season 2.
So, it really sounds great to me that The Killing is compared to Rubicon. I usually love tv shows and movies that are slow in tempo, that somehow suits me very much, so I think I'll love this too. Especially since someone explained before that there are not many similarities between The Killing and Twin Peaks.
It is great to see that it's getting good reviews too! I must say that I am huge of Michelle Forbes ever since I saw her in Homicide: Life On The Street years ago. The rest of the cast looks very good too.
Can't wait to see 1st episode...

swansong

swansong

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2011 @ 7:48 AM

I'm a fan of the slow burn style of writing too. I love shows that take the time to build up the details. It tends to make pay off that much more satisfying.

I've seen the original so I'm both excited to see how they handle the material and wary about potential disappointment.

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2011 @ 11:12 AM

Some of them have already been linked here, but AICN has a post with blurbs (and links) to a bunch of reviews.

Edited by hardy har, Apr 3, 2011 @ 11:12 AM.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Apr 3, 2011 @ 10:01 PM

I'm glad they had Holder prove his worth. Linden being the great detective, while Holder's the tactless asshole would have gotten old.
I never saw the original, did they have the political stuff in there? I like Billy Cambell and all, but it seems like an unnecessary layer of complication.

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Apr 3, 2011 @ 10:02 PM

I'm definitely in. I mean, not that I had any doubts (AMC can do no wrong in my eyes), but that was fantastic. So compelling, and so honest and human and real. Even the people I don't like right now I'm either interested in (the politicos) or at least feel for (the kids).