Sister Wives

• Please log in to reply

15752 replies to this topic

ChicksDigScars

ChicksDigScars

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 27, 2013 @ 10:17 AM

Well, if it's true that Mariah is at Westminster on a full ride, then congrats to her. Not only did she get into the college of her choice (no matter HOW she did), but she also got her ass AWAY from the family. Just watching the pressure that they put on Logan (especially Robyn. WTF, woman?) to go to UNLV and stay close to home, it's good to see that at least one of them is getting away and beginning some sort of independent life. Especially someone as needy as Mariah. She needs to live away from them.

I wonder if they gave her one of those cornball quilts. She'd probably use it, as opposed to Logan, who probably has it hidden in a closet out of embarrassment. 

ljohnson2006

ljohnson2006

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2013 @ 10:26 AM

Robyn's story was ridiculous. "Poor Me". 

DakotaJustice

DakotaJustice

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 27, 2013 @ 11:06 AM

I wonder if they gave her one of those cornball quilts. She'd probably use it, as opposed to Logan, who probably has it hidden in a closet out of embarrassment.

You mean like Ralphie's Pink Bunny costume in "A Christmas Story" which was only going to be worn when his aunt visited? 

Logan will throw it on his dorm room bed whenever Robyn and/or Kody come to visit him.  I'm sure his mom Janelle could care less.

Speaking of Logan, wonder if he's still living at UNLV this year.  (I'm hoping YES) since Kody and Janelle said that MAYBE to save money, Logan was thinking about living at the Kody Kompound.  (run Logan! RUN!!!)

Absolom

Absolom

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2013 @ 11:13 AM

Sobbyn Robyn's Purity Cry:  2.343 M viewers and a 1.0 rating.

Questions and Answers (repeat?): 1.734 M viewers and a .6 rating.

SunnyBeBe

SunnyBeBe

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 27, 2013 @ 11:29 AM

I thought Mariah said she got a $10,000.  scholarship to the Westminister College.  That's great, but what if the tuition is $30,000. per year?

At the end, Mariah said, I know that daddy said I had to get full scholarship, but I'm going anyway, regardless.  I'm paraphrasing.  Oh my, I thought Meri had invaded her body for a second.

camom

camom

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2013 @ 11:40 AM

Westminster lists its "tuition and fees" for last year at $28,210 per year.  So unless she really is getting a free ride for wearing the sweatshirt, I see a lot of student loans in her future.

Maddingcrowd

Maddingcrowd

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2013 @ 11:45 AM

She will survive, either way. I had no parental income to pay for my college and I had to combine grants, loans and tiny scholarships. Not every parent can afford to pay for their kids college, and with 17 kids and probably more coming, Kody won't be able to pay for colleges at all.

I still think Mariah has the right to go to the school of her choice, and find ways to pay for it any way she can. It is her future she has to worry about, she can't be responsible to make sure kids number 2-17 get into the college of their dreams. Most kids have to take out loans to get through all four years. I also don't see her as selfish; I didn't give any thought to how my siblings would pay for college, it wasn't my responsibility.

kassa

kassa

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2013 @ 12:01 PM

I can see the school doing it -- she probably fills some niche diversity slot, and they got national television coverage for the tour, plus product placement on her sweatshirt (and likely the "mariah fights to go to Westminster despite all opposition, because it's just THAT great a school" scenes).

It doesn't put the school that much out of pocket, especially if she's a good student, which I think they've said she is.  It did look like a pretty place and I've never heard of it before, so if I had a kid starting to look at colleges I might have googled it.  So if a few dozen people actually consider it who never heard of it before, and a few end up going there, they can write it off as promotion.  It's a pretty cost effective marketing tool, all things considered, and probably the most practical use of the television show the family has made to date, if in fact it's true.  So, win-win.

If we get a Very Special visit to Mariah at school episode (maybe the next oldest kids looking at schools) then we'll know. 

Havnfun

Havnfun

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 27, 2013 @ 12:06 PM

I didn't give any thought to how my siblings would pay for college, it wasn't my responsibility.

I guess it depends on how you view it. If you are already paying for your college yourself, then yea - it is not your job to worry about your siblings. But, if you expect your parents to pay for your college, regardless of the expense and regardless of your parents need to pay for other kids coming up, then yes - that is selfish. My oldest just left for college and when she was making her choice it came down to two. She had earned very good scholarships with both, reducing the price but one college had a much higher initial price tag. So we told her if she went there she would have to take out some loans. We had the money to pay for it fully but we have two other children still living at home and who will go to college some day. She chose the less expensive school and will now not have any loans. I don't consider it wrong that we took her siblings into account when budgeting for her. Just because she's the oldest doesn't mean she should get all the money. She could have chosen the more expensive school but some of the cost would have been on her.

I guess I've been leaning toward Mariah's attitude being more that her parents should pay and who cares about her siblings. It seems to be an attitude exacerbated by the fact that she really doesn't have any full siblings and has been treated like an only child for a while now. So in her mind why should she care if there is money left for them. I think that's selfish. However, if she went to Westminster with a set amount of money from her parents that is reasonably similar to what all the kids will be getting and the rest she covered with scholarships and loans... then that's fine and completely her business. 

mythoughtis

mythoughtis

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 27, 2013 @ 12:30 PM

What Mariah said was "Dad said I needed to get more scholarships to go', and I did and I will   The 'full' part was not said. Kody never said 'full', he said some scholarships to cover the additional cost vs UNLV.

Mariah probably did not yet realize how expensive it is, because she was a senior in high school, not really required to be financially responsible.  Her eyes probably glazed over when cost was discussed. Trust me, after she attends college for a while, she will understand money a lot better. 

Also... what do you want to bet that Meri told Mariah 'not to worry her little head about it.  There's more money where those houses came from'!. 

kohola3

kohola3

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2013 @ 12:59 PM

I wonder if they gave her one of those cornball quilts.

Bet one of those on a dorm bed would be like a chastity belt to keep purity intact. 

peaceknit

peaceknit

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 27, 2013 @ 1:02 PM

I think I'll scream if I hear anyone else (looking at you, Sobbyn), say the word important as impor-int. She's not the only reality person either that does this with any word that has a "t" in the middle. Gahhh!

RazzleberryPie

RazzleberryPie

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2013 @ 1:21 PM

Bet one of those on a dorm bed would be like a chastity belt to keep purity intact. 

If it's anything like BYU, there are plenty of students who will make sure any non-pure actions are reported. I don't think the opposite sex is allowed in dorm rooms and there is curfew.

emanze

emanze

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 27, 2013 @ 1:34 PM

I don't consider it wrong that we took her siblings into account when budgeting for her.

Havnfun, the fact that you are taking 2 additional children into account, not 17 and counting, makes you & your spouse way way better parents than these fools. I give Mariah a pass considering her idiot role models.

kelly28rn

kelly28rn

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 27, 2013 @ 1:59 PM

Besides, do any of the Brown children have the kind of close and respectful relationship with Robyn that would make her sob story hit home with them?

I don't think kissing is prohibited in engaged couples.  Christine stated that she did not kiss Kody until they married, because he was a "married man" in her eyes.

I  keep reading that Robyn's husband was a Jessop with FLDS.  I never got the impression she was part of the prairie dress wearing FLDS.  I thought her husband was AUB like the Browns.

I think preaching purity is pretty much across the board with religions.  I give Mormons a little bit of credit for requiring chastity from boys as well as girls.  I think most Christian religions put the burden on the females.

Re: Elizabeth Smart and how expectations of purity affected her.  I personally feel like her parents dropped the ball.  They pretty much stated she would not receive any kind of counseling.  And I found it horrifying that she was interviewed post-recovery, and they showed slow motion footage of her riding her horse with her blonde hair flying in the wind.  The poor girl was kidnapped because a crazy man was obsessed with her, now they're advertising for the next nut job to prey on her.  They glossed over any trauma she experienced and acted like life would go on like normal, and interviewed how she was dating.  I felt so sorry for her because her parents were clueless.

Tiffster

Tiffster

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 27, 2013 @ 2:01 PM

Kody was in sales with YESCO in Utah.  http://www.sltrib.co...gation.html.csp

MarkySnark

MarkySnark

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 27, 2013 @ 2:34 PM

When I saw KoDouche digging the hole in the yard with Meri looking on, I started wondering which kid accidentally spilled juice on her new carpet.

Also, from above, "Mariah probably did not yet realize how expensive it is, because she was a senior in high school, not really required to be financially responsible." Being a senior in high school has nothing to do with it. She is a Brown, therefore not required - in fact, discouraged - to be financially responsible.

Edited by MarkySnark, Aug 27, 2013 @ 2:39 PM.

ghoulina

ghoulina

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2013 @ 2:54 PM

Also, from above, "Mariah probably did not yet realize how expensive it is, because she was a senior in high school, not really required to be financially responsible." Being a senior in high school has nothing to do with it. She is a Brown, therefore not required - in fact, discouraged - to be financially responsible.

WORD. That's exactly what I was thinking!

IMO, Teenagers SHOULD understand finances and learn how to be responsible with money. But that's not going to happen in these houses. The Browns obviously have no problem piling on the debt, so why would Mariah be any different?

camom

camom

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2013 @ 2:54 PM

Kody was in sales with YESCO in Utah.  http://www.sltrib.co...gation.html.csp

Fascinating.  Kody lost sales at his job in Utah right after SW started airing, and he is blaming the state.  Perhaps the customers didn't like what they saw on TV and decided not to do business with him.  I'm sure that possibility never occurred to him.

mk26

mk26

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2013 @ 4:05 PM

I'm at a weird place with this show.  I like Kody, Christine, and Janelle.  I can't stand Meri and Mariah.  Robyn is basically filler for me.  I think I'd like another season with Mariah away at college to see how the story plays.  I'm curious to see if another kid steps into Mariah's bratty role (which can soften me against Mariah for producer manipulation).  I'm also curious to see Meri start to lose her status and wonder how long she's super buddies with Robyn.

Galloways Cave

Galloways Cave

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 27, 2013 @ 4:12 PM

Kody also says that the investigation continues to "curtail their speech". God, I wish it did. Especially concerning Robyn.

He also says that it has "proven a barrier in finding new positions in Nevada". Yet on Twitter he has posted they all have jobs, and that "I$$$MAKE$$$". I think the house of cards is starting to crumble around them. In the past they were able to stay just a half a step ahead of the lies and scams but they have spent too much time on social media and TV film in recent years. Their words and actions are all well documented now. It will be interesting to see how the lawsuit turns out.

chompy521

chompy521

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 27, 2013 @ 4:24 PM

Yikes, apparently Kody's father passed away. RIP

mk26

mk26

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2013 @ 4:27 PM

Janelle's step-father-in-law?

camom

camom

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2013 @ 4:30 PM

chompy521 is right about Kody's father.  I thought he just had two wives (original wife and Janelle's mom), but it looks like there were three.  I wonder if his wives will stay together.

Edited by camom, Aug 27, 2013 @ 4:35 PM.

chompy521

chompy521

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 27, 2013 @ 4:31 PM

Gah, you just *had* to go start confusing me with the family tree/wreath, huh?

Yes, Kody's father/Janelle's step-father-in-law. It's over on Sister Wives Blog.

mk26

mk26

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2013 @ 4:56 PM

That was a really lovely tribute in the link above.  As I read it, I wanted to meet the man and was impressed by his achievements.

ginger90

ginger90

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 27, 2013 @ 5:00 PM

It was a nice obituary. I thought it strange though that it said he WAS buried August 28th. It should have been WILL be or scheduled to be..........idk it just seems weird to state it as if it has happened already.

PrincessBubble

PrincessBubble

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 27, 2013 @ 5:10 PM

It sounds like the release wasn't supposed to go out until later this week and someone jumped the gun.

ginger90

ginger90

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 27, 2013 @ 5:12 PM

You're probably right, Princess Bubble, but it made me look at the date quickly. I thought I lost a day!

Edited by ginger90, Aug 27, 2013 @ 5:13 PM.

DakotaJustice

DakotaJustice

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 27, 2013 @ 5:25 PM

Also pointed out at SWB that Robyn and her former husband were married in June 1999, and Dayton was born in March, 2000.  Dayton's 13, Robyn's 34.  she was 21 when he was born.  kind of different from the way she portrays.