Sister Wives

• Please log in to reply

15752 replies to this topic

SunShine Gal

SunShine Gal

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 1:31 AM

Of course, the boys are punching each other in the nose. You have TOO MANY children. And Kody is the biggest baby of them all.

The boys are fighting and Janelle is the one who steps up and handles it. Kody is such a non-existence father that the kids don't even look to him. They were listening to Janelle, to her credit. Later when they are in the vacation rental house and deciding on bedrooms, once again Kody is useless when figuring out the room situation so the women decide. Kody isn't the bread winner, he's not there emotionally for the wives nor the kids, he's been married to Christine for 17 years yet didn't know she celebrated Joseph Smith's b-day with a Jewish celebration? What is Kody good for? He's just a warm male body to occasionally sleep next to. He doesn't fill the role of DAD for anyone as evidenced that they don't ever go to HIM. Everyone looks to one of the women to solve the problems.

They are renting 4 houses and decide to rent another bigger house for Christmas? Absurd! Who lives like that? Bill Gates can, but he's a billionaire. Then they give Kody something expensive which is a total waste of funds. How about picking something more practical but still fun? Nope. They get Kody an assault rifle, because he's just a big delusional kid at heart who might decide to wipe out his whole family one day on a whim. Him holding that gun sure gave off a bad vibe.

I totally agree with the comments about the show giving us a Christmas episode in May. This show keeps coming up with fanciful ideas, celebrations, gimmicks, etc to show the Browns depicted in surreal surroundings. We don't see them in real every day life. They are always planning parties, picnics on the lawn, a weekend at the camp grounds, Christmas in a big vacation home. Put me in a reality show and surround me with ideal situations where everything is paid for and I'll have a big smile on my face, too. Sister Wives isn't giving us a real look into the lives of polygamists. This shouldn't be in the Candid Reality Show category, but in the Candied Reality Show category. This show is so fake.

KittyMarthaPoo

KittyMarthaPoo

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 6:05 AM

I actually thought Christine's Hannukkah celebration was sweet. It's too bad Kody couldn't get up from his nap on the recliner to help her do all the work, the ass clown.

Sick how he can't even help Janelle discipline HIS OWN KIDS.

Wow, all the wives now have new cars (2 Toyota Sienna Vans, that Kia SUV & a newer looking Honda van). And they rented this huge house for Christmas AND they're going to get 4 houses all together. And all on TLC's dime with not one of them working at an actual job. No wonder they do this show.

I felt bad for Christine how Kody seemed surpried that she was depressed. Way to be involved with one of your actual wives, douche.

Dude is totally useless in every way.

kccody

kccody

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 7:33 AM

I didn't think I could dislike Kody anymore than last year, but I was wrong. If someone you love has a tradition that she/he wants to continue, you make it work. Christine, as a child, celebrated Joseph Smith's birthday- Kody, you dork, figure out a way to keep something she wants. All of these people's lives do not revolve around you. And Robun- a jewlery business- and a gym, and real estate? Your family is going to be in such trouble when the TLC gravy train leaves. There is no way in hell they can afford kids in college and 4 houses.

Edited by kccody, May 14, 2012 @ 7:33 AM.

rml24601

rml24601

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 8:30 AM

What the hell was with the Hanukkah celebration? I certainly see value in teaching children about other beliefs and religions but they are not Jewish. If Christine's parents celebrated Joseph Smith's birthday and Kody doesn't want to do that, then maybe she could have a quiet celebration with her kids.

The Channukah thing made no sense to me, but I have to admit, even as a lapsed Jew myself, I thought it was kind of cute/respectful. The issue over whether or not to celebrate J. Smith's bday highlighted for me how in a lot of ways, these are 4 separate families, not 1.

When I saw them all opening their Christmas presents, I thought, jeez they sure do love their tacky, wickety-wack jewelry!

So what are the big themes in this season? Mary's fertility; i.e. will she/won't she use Robyn as a surrogate? Will Truly grow hair?

michelecake

michelecake

Channel Surfer

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 8:31 AM

To their credit, all those cars were "new to them". The Kia is not the latest model, not even close, and neither are the Toyota Siennas that Janelle and Christine were driving. At best, the new vans were 2010 "leftovers" because the bodystyle changed in 2011. More likely they were 2 year old cars turned in after a lease with low mileage. Robyn has her same old 2002 or 2003 Honda Odyssey that she's had the whole show.

I did notice Janelle's blue rust bucket Camry parked in Christine's driveway, and Meri's Sebring parked on the street in front of her house. Guess they kept them for the kids?

Edited by michelecake, May 14, 2012 @ 8:32 AM.

Reality Chaser

Reality Chaser

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 9:53 AM

The boys are fighting and Janelle is the one who steps up and handles it. Kody is such a non-existence father that the kids don't even look to him.

It appears that Kody is like a stereotypical noncustodial parent: he's there for the fun times but lets the custodial parent play Bad Cop.

livinggreen

livinggreen

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 10:07 AM

What happened to their weight loss goals? Janelle is huge.

vintagesac

vintagesac

Channel Surfer

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 10:11 AM

I was kind of floored in the scene with the wives trying to figure out who would get which room in the big rental, how disjointed the whole family feels now. I just got the vibe from Kody that he has completely checked out from all of the other wives except for Robyn, and is no longer making an effort to hide it.
What the heck was with all of the pricey gifts if they are trying to save for new homes? Didn't they say how they now have five kids getting ready to also go to college? Where is this magical money coming from other than TLC?

essinad

essinad

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 10:48 AM

The other WTF moment for me was when Robyn gifted jewelry -- "her designs" for the new business. Wait -- what? So, now they're doing a jewelry business? What happened to the fitness center (and fitness in general)? Can't one of them just get a job until they settle on a family business?

Artemis Lexea

Artemis Lexea

Channel Surfer

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 10:52 AM

I just love how Kody brought the boys over to help his precious widdle Robyn pack, but brought no one to help Meri.

Graysmama

Graysmama

Channel Surfer

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 11:02 AM

It seemed like every other scene just showcased how pompous and lazy Kody is. Him lounging and napping in the recliner while the women and kids scrambled to get things ready for Christine's Hanukkah celebration. Would it have killed him to get off his butt? Then he was sitting at the head of the table like the king.

Kody sending the kids to help Robyn while Meri got no help other than Mariah. Why Meri isn't just as jealous of Princess Robyn as Christine is I do not know. Meri was also constantly holding Solomon.

Speaking of Christine, Kody really doesn't take her seriously does he? Actually I don't think he takes anyone seriously except Robyn but I think that's only because she's younger and thinner than the other women. Once she pops out 6 Kody Juniors and packs on a few pounds the novelty will wear off for him. I wonder if reason the other wives are all overweight is they eat to compensate for the emotion and sexual needs Kody can't fill. But that's just my speculation.

piethecat

piethecat

Channel Surfer

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 11:50 AM

It seemed like every other scene just showcased how pompous and lazy Kody is. Him lounging and napping in the recliner while the women and kids scrambled to get things ready for Christine's Hanukkah celebration. Would it have killed him to get off his butt? Then he was sitting at the head of the table like the king.

I wonder if TLC deliberately showed off Kodouche's douchiness this season...

cjames

cjames

Video Archivist

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 11:59 AM

I didn't think I could dislike Kody anymore than last year, but I was wrong. If someone you love has a tradition that she/he wants to continue, you make it work. Christine, as a child, celebrated Joseph Smith's birthday- Kody, you dork, figure out a way to keep something she wants. All of these people's lives do not revolve around you.

I'm with you here. I don't much like any of the wives or Kodouche but I'm finding myself feeling some empathy for Christine. She's clearly struggling and Kodouche just doesn't seem to care (when he notices at all). Asking Christine if he's "back out of the doghouse" because he bought her the ring she wanted minimizes her feelings and the problems they're having. It also seems to be more important to him to decide what gets celebrated (or not) than to try to help his wife. So what if she celebrates Joseph Smith's birthday? Who cares?

Of course now he has a lovely new gun to wave around when he "needs" to get his own way as patriarch of this messed-up bunch.

Robyn's necklace designs weren't really all that awesome, IMHO. May I just add that taking the design from the claddagh ring and using it - and admitting on tv that she did this - is not cool. In fact, many artisans call that behaviour "theft". I have no objection to them setting up their own clothing / jewellery store, but if they're going to do that then they need to use their own designs or license the designs they want to use. Otherwise they could expect some lawsuits.... which would certainly add drama to the show. I wonder if TLC suggested that Robyn "use" the designs from the ring?

lanorigb

lanorigb

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 12:43 PM

Ehh, I didn't think none of the boys helping Meri was a big deal. In Kody's defense (and I can't believe I'm defending him) Robin has an infant and three younger kids to get packed up, I would think that would be more labor intensive. Meri could have had Mariah help her more, instead she struggled solo and then went in looking for Mariah. Also, Janelle could've sent one older kid over to help her but didn't. I wouldn't put all of that on Kody.

I was pretty horrified watching the blood flow between Janelle's boys, but my husband (1 of 4 boys) said that was pretty par for the course. Kody definitely should've stepped in though, but we all know how that goes. Wasn't a big fan of Robin's jewelry, but I think it could be an untapped market selling to sister wives (and allowing her to work from home).

BlueSapphires

BlueSapphires

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 1:13 PM

Why did Mary need help? It's only Mary and her daughter. Christine is the one who should be pissed. Her baby seems to have passed too quickly into being just another kid because Robyn got knocked up so fast.

Oh I can't stand Jenelle. She's always a royal bitch on the talk show circuit .. she gets super snotty when people can't comprehend the lifestyle. I'm not surprised her kids are fighting EACH OTHER. I thought at first that it was Robyn's kid, but nope. Jenelle is too busy bitching and eating.

You know, I blame all the women for their own problems. They are adults, they chose to enter and stay in this life with this man. I don't think he's a bad guy at all. He's just too caught up in this stupid plural marriage shit and doesn't know how to get out. They probably all are. Robyn seems the most brainwashed into thinking that having sister wives is awesome. Why, I don't know. You can have one man sleeping with only YOU for the rest of your life and have girlfriends. You don't need to share a penis. Yeah. That made me a little sick too.

snoopval

snoopval

Video Archivist

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 1:49 PM

I was watching a documentary on polygamous familes(not like Kody's, much more old fashioned) and they said that a big problem in these families is the lack of paternal involvement. While I can see that Kody does not want to come across as the "heavy" I think the situation between the two boys he definitley needed to step in. Also I find it mind bogglingly annoying that he was telling the camera and his wives how strictly he would have handled the sitution after telling everyone why he didn't handle it and wouldn't handle it.

On a side note I'm totally going to hell I believe, because I had to laugh when he mentioned that fighting was the sort of thing that coud get his children legal trouble as adults. So can having four wives Kody, I'm just saying.

Reality Chaser

Reality Chaser

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 1:56 PM

I don't think he's a bad guy at all. He's just too caught up in this stupid plural marriage shit and doesn't know how to get out.

I haven't seen any indication on the show that he wants out. He seems to enjoy being the stud. Occasionally he scratches his head as to how to handle a particular issue with a wife, but I'm not noticing a lot of distress.

essinad

essinad

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 2:11 PM

He's just too caught up in this stupid plural marriage shit and doesn't know how to get out.

Sure, he can't up and leave 16 children this far into it, but he wasn't even raised in the lifestyle. He chose to do this. In fact, he seems to be the only one in the marriage(s) who is happy with it.

Edited by essinad, May 14, 2012 @ 2:11 PM.

PharmGal10

PharmGal10

Fanatic

I just love how Kody brought the boys over to help his precious widdle Robyn pack, but brought no one to help Meri.

Well, Robyn has four children, including an infant. Meri has one child who can pack for herself. I can see why Robyn would get assistance and Meri wouldn't. If anything, Christine is the one who deserved extra help, not Meri.

I haven't been a fan of Christine in the past, but I do feel badly for her. It seems she went from feeling valued to feeling numb. The way she said her and Kody weren't really working on their marriage, she just seemed so sad, like she's given up. Her world has clearly been rocked by the fact that she's no longer the last wife. I imagine she'd have these issues even if the fourth wife wasn't Robin and it was someone else.

Edited by PharmGal10, May 14, 2012 @ 2:14 PM.

Havnfun

Havnfun

Couch Potato

I haven't seen any indication on the show that he wants out. He seems to enjoy being the stud. Occasionally he scratches his head as to how to handle a particular issue with a wife, but I'm not noticing a lot of distress.

I agree. He would have to care about the quality of his relationships with the women to be distressed at all about his situation. He's loving the position he's in. He doesn't even acknowledge the typical problems a situation like this create. Just look at the conversation with Christine. She tells him that she thinks that he doesn't even want to be with her and he just laughs and pats her head. In a good marriage that would be a difficult thing for a spouse to hear but for Kody it just doesn't matter because it's all about him. Why would he want out when everything is all about him and everyone caters to him.

BlueSapphires

BlueSapphires

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 2:51 PM

I don't think any of them look happy - Kody included. And whose fault is it if he's constantly pumped up as this awesome husband? No wonder he doesn't think he needs to change anything - the wives tell him constantly how great he is.

How much of this Christine drama is fake for the cameras? They can't all roll on forever happy and keep a reality show. Some shit has got to go down, and it looks like Christine is the fall wife. So they stick a camera in the bedroom and have her croak out something about not working on the marriage. On talk show appearance it's actually Christine who seems the happiest. If they want to get paid, and get some cash together for post-TV businesses and homes, they know that they're going to have to up the drama. Presto - wives are pissed, surrogacy is hanging in the wings. I'm sure all reality show "stars" are given the warning that wandering about happy ain't gonna cut it.

cjames

cjames

Video Archivist

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 2:54 PM

I agree. He would have to care about the quality of his relationships with the women to be distressed at all about his situation. He's loving the position he's in. He doesn't even acknowledge the typical problems a situation like this create. Just look at the conversation with Christine. She tells him that she thinks that he doesn't even want to be with her and he just laughs and pats her head. In a good marriage that would be a difficult thing for a spouse to hear but for Kody it just doesn't matter because it's all about him. Why would he want out when everything is all about him and everyone caters to him.

I think - and I might be wrong about this - that in this culture there's this expectation that the women will work it out and that the husband won't be much involved in that. So from his perspective, it might not his problem to solve. This is just one more thing about him that annoys me: he basically washes his hands of the problems in the family, whether those problems are between wives or children.

If I were a spirit-baby waiting to be born I would do everything in my power to not be born to this mess of an unhappy family.

Palomar

Palomar

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 2:59 PM

I have to say I was STUNNED when Kody unwrapped the group present from all the wives and it was a GUN. Seriously? All four wives thought that was a good idea? He did seem stoked but then so would every 12 year old boy.

I do have to admit that Robyn doesn't quite bug me as much as before. She really does seem to be trying to fit in. I wonder how many more kids Kody wants her to have and if Kody would really want Robyn to be Meri's surrogate. Isn't 17 kids enough for this family?

Reality Chaser

Reality Chaser

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 3:06 PM

Isn't 17 kids enough for this family?

Last season, a few of the kids themselves said there were already too many kids. Definitely a case where the children seem to know better than the parents.

Havnfun

Havnfun

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 3:36 PM

I think - and I might be wrong about this - that in this culture there's this expectation that the women will work it out and that the husband won't be much involved in that. So from his perspective, it might not his problem to solve. This is just one more thing about him that annoys me: he basically washes his hands of the problems in the family, whether those problems are between wives or children.

I don't know if it's the culture or just Kody but I definitely see this in relation to pretty much all problems. The women take care of everything with the children and deal with the relationship issues between the wives. Unfortunately for Christine, if indeed the issues between her and Kody are real rather than made up for the show, you can't fix marriage problems by deciding the woman can work out the problems. He has to be involved as well. But it certainly didn't appear that he has any interest in being involved. Of course another thing that struck me is that he might really not realize that there is a problem. He's a very immature idiot. I think he really thought that whatever is upsetting Christine would be fixed by getting her that ring. His god-like complex and complete narcissism probably makes it pretty hard for him to take a serious look at the work it takes maintain a long term intimate relationship. So he figures as long as he's getting what he wants from the relationship, whether he wants a lot or nothing from it, everything is fine. The emotional well-being of the other person just doesn't figure in.

Bravoheart

Bravoheart

Video Archivist

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 4:42 PM

Will Truly grow hair?

I was more entertained by this comment than I was by watching the entire episode.

ava1

ava1

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 4:58 PM

How much of this Christine drama is fake for the cameras? They can't all roll on forever happy and keep a reality show. Some shit has got to go down, and it looks like Christine is the fall wife. So they stick a camera in the bedroom and have her croak out something about not working on the marriage. On talk show appearance it's actually Christine who seems the happiest. If they want to get paid, and get some cash together for post-TV businesses and homes, they know that they're going to have to up the drama. Presto - wives are pissed, surrogacy is hanging in the wings. I'm sure all reality show "stars" are given the warning that wandering about happy ain't gonna cut it.

This could be true but then it also makes me wonder about the Duggars. I don't watch the show but from what I've heard they stay drama-free and their show just keep on rolling along. I do feel like the Brown's 15 mins is ticking though and I worry that they're not taking advantage of this time that they have to capitalize on the fame/resources that the show has brought them. Real estate and jewlery won't cut it for a family that large. The gym might be their best bet IF at least one of them could get in shape.

I think that Christine has always been more fragile than the others wives so I'm not surprised about how she's feeling.

Galloways Cave

Galloways Cave

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 4:58 PM

OK, I broke down and watched. Really regretting it now. These people are just beyond stupid.

The houses in the cul-de-sac they want to buy in look HUGE. Why would they spend the money (someone's money) to buy such big houses when 1/3 of their kids will be gone within a few years? Craft and wrestling rooms aside, the only one who may continue to reproduce is Robyn, so I can see her getting a large place. But those homes were ridiculous. And way to get the kid's hopes up by going to visit "their" new homes. With all the bankruptcies it will be a miracle if they can afford one house.

How can they make any money with so many businesses just starting? Don't they have to invest to start up? I was not impressed with the jewelry either.

I'm not a kid person but I could watch 40 minutes of Truly dancing around. Much better than watching Kody be an ass.

DakotaJustice

DakotaJustice

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 5:17 PM

With the tightening of income declaration requirements (actually having to PROVE that there is a steady, LONG TERM income rolling in, rather than just making stuff up) following the implosion of the real-estate bubble, I seriously doubt the ability of the Browns to be able to "prove up" to purchase those four houses, and I highly doubt TLC is going to foot the bill for them, other than whatever they already pay the family (and based on last night's zzzz episode, they are making way too much...boring...)

I can see a bank mortgage officer looking over the Brown's income statements.. "uh huh...and let's see most of your income is from a show that could go belly up this season...a book...and an MLM...and maybe a real-estate license and oh the jewelry business...yup and you want FOUR big, brand-new houses with that...?"

Just because Christine is studying for a real-estate license, doesn't mean she is going to automatically start making money, particularly in LV which I believe still has lots and lots of already-established realtors in a depressed housing market.

Maybe it's just me, but the jewelry I just found plain UGLY. Who, other than family members and rabid fans of the show, would actually purchase it?

The fitness/gym idea is really beyond stupid. They have no experience in the fitness industry, none whatsoever (other than advice from their PT, such as it is...). They have NO clue as to how huge an investment is required to open a facility - the equipment (even secondhand) is VERY expensive, they will need qualified staff (I don't see any of them going for a personal trainer certification, not a REAL one anyway), and there are no doubt more than enough GOOD fitness facilities in the LV area - they have to all compete for the same number of people. IMO the segment of the population who would be interesting in joining because of the "Sister Wives" connection are the types who would probably be Curves members, or Planet Fitness (at $19.00 a month, I believe).

And lastly, I agree it's foolish and borderline cruel to take the kids to the houses as if they were already in the bag, but my guess is that the older ones are already accustomed to hearing such magnamious proclamations (even before the show started) and being shot down, so it's only the younger kids who will be really disappointed (also an example of the grownups acting less like grownups and more like entitled kids...when we moved across town to a better house, my parents waited until they were in escrow before taking us to see the new home...). What IS telling is that the Lehi house is still shown as owned by the Browns, with no indication of it being put up for sale. To my eye, that means they do have at least a partial eye to the future without the show income, and having to retreat back to their old digs...if they were going to sell it, better to sell it as "the famous Sister Wives home!!" rather than later, post show and in the "where are they now" file.

And I agree...Truly is the best part of SWs now. I feel bad for her being in that family though.

Edited by DakotaJustice, May 14, 2012 @ 5:25 PM.

kohola3

kohola3

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 8:31 PM

What would he have to be distressed about? He's the Lord of Heaven on Earth with potentially unlimited sex partners (if any additional women are stupid enough to buy into this mess), doesn't need to work (between the occasion income from his wives, their bankruptcies, and welfare), doesn't need to work on any relationships because he's universally adored by all who meet him (gag), never has to discipline his children (that's women's work), is the final word on all decisions (although most are idiotic), can make proclamations at any time whether or not they are true (Let's go see our new houses!),can live like a teenager (getting toys for Christmas and thinks stupid token gifts are just dandy for the wives), and will have his own planet or kingdom or whatever the hell it is when he finally bites the dust. As long as he's on the TLC gravy train, he's not changing a thing except to knock up Robun over and over until she wears out and he can move on to a younger model.

If the purpose of this show was to promote polygamy, it certainly is a miserable failure. Any female with an IQ over 50 would laugh at the thought that this was a lifestyle that brings joy or happiness.