Melissa and Joey

• Please log in to reply

410 replies to this topic

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Jun 4, 2013 @ 2:23 PM

Same thing happened with Kyle XY. They promoted the hell out of it before its first season, it was a big success, and then the following year - nothing. It was like they just figured it could stand on its own from that point on and they focused on promoting newer shows instead. Kyle's ratings tanked in Season 3 and they cancelled it.

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted Jun 4, 2013 @ 3:44 PM

I do think this show is one that has a pretty limited shelf life though.  I know it's already picked up for another season already, but since the kids were already pretty old when the show started the whole nanny thing makes no sense at this point.  Which is why it would make more sense IMO just to get the two leads together now because then at least that way they don't have to continually come up with stupid reasons to keep Joe around the house, as they did this episode.  Like I'm not even sure where there is to go with a 4th season at this point. 

As for the leads, MJH has never been a subtle actress.  She's okay at what she does, but she is very limited beyond that.  Then you've got Joey Lawrence, who while his acting is okay, I can't get past the hair and his real life toolishness.  At this point I'm most impressed with the kid who plays Ryder.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Jun 6, 2013 @ 1:11 PM

Another weak episode. It's like everyone just shows up to collect a paycheck anymore. I agree spanana, Ryder is probably the most interesting character. He's growing so much though. Go back and watch the pilot episode on Hulu - before his voice changed and he was actually shorter than Joey Lawrence. Now he's a foot taller than Lawrence, and his face is rapidly changing and maturing as well. Lennox looks about the same, but I'm not seeing great things in this actress's future, frankly. The stories involving her are so lame.

Once again, MJH squeezed herself into a sausage casing for the opening scene, and what a mistake. She has just not lost enough of the baby weight to be wearing things like that. I guess nobody on the set has the guts to tell her.

kingofpoppa

kingofpoppa

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2013 @ 2:03 PM

I'm beginning to think that MJH is got some pretty good comedic timing and is less over-acting, over-the-top than she was the last couple of years as Sabrina.

In the two made for TV movies that came out before Melissa and Joey, she was already dialing that over acting badly stuff down.

I agree, I wish she would look at herself on the show, the camera adds 10 lbs thing and rethink those dresses. 

cmm226

cmm226

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2013 @ 12:04 AM

We need more Ryder. I just find him to be the most entertaining out of all of them now. I though M&J's stories this week and last week weren't very interesting and I've never been the biggest Lennox fan.

I did find Melissa dating the Big Wolf to be a little funny, but everything else, not so much. And that kid was horribly annoying.

aliconehead

aliconehead

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2013 @ 9:36 AM

Not sure what happened on either of the shows last night, mainly because I was distracted by Melissa's "post pregnancy" boobs.  Holy hell those things were big and on display last night, this coming from a straight woman

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted Jun 13, 2013 @ 1:10 PM

I enjoyed both new episodes last night, but I was really partial to the "sting" to get the crooked councilman.  I like when Joe and Mel work together towards a common goal.  I just knew that there had to be another recorder around somewhere when the first one got dunked.  I wish the news would have aknowledged that Joe was not "part" of this scandal, though.  I felt bad for him at what they were insinuating on the news.

Lennox's boyfriend has been driving me crazy since the season started because I couldn't figure out where I knew him from so I finally looked it up last night....Sterling Knight from Sonny with a Chance!  I liked him on that and I like him as Lennox's guy.  I was glad that Lennox didn't find out the guy she was crushing on was gay.  I didn't want her to end up feeling stupid since I adore her.

BabyVegas

BabyVegas

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 14, 2013 @ 1:51 AM

I laughed that Mel's shady co-councilman in Joe's interview was played by the Quizmaster from Sabrina. If the show is trading on Melissa Joan Hart and Joey Lawrence's past success, at least they're going full steam with it.

Also, someone has got to tell MJH that she is a beautiful woman and she has absolutely got to stop wearing the sausage casing dresses.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Jun 14, 2013 @ 11:51 AM

I laughed that Mel's shady co-councilman in Joe's interview was played by the Quizmaster from Sabrina.

Oh, I totally didn't recognize him from that!

I wish they'd spend less time on Lennox's love life and give Ryder more to do. He's by far the more interesting character, but maybe the focus on Lennox speaks to the demographic this show is aiming for.

Were there two new episodes last night? They kept saying "another brand new episode" at 9:30/8:30c but on my channel they showed the Twilight movie after M&J and Baby Daddy.

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2013 @ 12:37 PM

Were there two new episodes last night? They kept saying "another brand new episode" at 9:30/8:30c but on my channel they showed the Twilight movie after M&J and Baby Daddy.

I didn't get two new episodes on my channel either, and my 'on demand' on comcast only showed one new one but when checking on my abcfamily app (yeah, I got that, lol.. go ahead, laugh) and it did indeed show two new episodes from the 12th.  

avid_reader

avid_reader

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 14, 2013 @ 12:54 PM

Lennox's boyfriend has been driving me crazy since the season started because I couldn't figure out where I knew him from so I finally looked it up last night....Sterling Knight from Sonny with a Chance!

Same here!! Glad to know why I know him but sad to see how he has changed. He's still cute but he used to be much cuter. Now he looks like the less attractive brother of the famous guy; you can see the resemblace but it's still not the same. Like one of the lesser Baldwins.

I didn't get two new eps either. I wonder if they'll show up sometime or if we'll have to go online to see them. My channel said new ep starting next but the next ep was a rerun.

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2013 @ 5:48 PM

The second one just showed up on my 'on demand' and is labeled episode 307, so along with tossing a random one in, it's completely out of order.  I guess continuity is not necessary for the show.  

kingofpoppa

kingofpoppa

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2013 @ 5:21 PM

The Quiz Master, whoo hoo!

I really don't like Lennox or any of her weirdly named boyfriends.

Send her off to college.

I also think the show needs more regular characters.  How about Mel's assistant, Stephanie, or coworkers (more Quiz Master).  I'd even be happy to see Holly every week because anyone and Ryder=fun.

The show cannot exist on storylines revolving around two main characters and two minor characters every week with lame guys or women that show up for Mel and Joey to dislike and dump. 

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Jun 16, 2013 @ 11:51 AM

I also think the show needs more regular characters.  How about Mel's assistant, Stephanie, or coworkers (more Quiz Master).  I'd even be happy to see Holly every week because anyone and Ryder=fun.

Agreed 100%. Stephanie and Holly were really the best things about the second season. I don't know if they've dumped Stephanie or not, she did show up at the end of last season at Joe's almost-wedding. Just one measly episode. But Holly was completely absent from last season and in the last episode Ryder said she dumped him, so I guess we've seen the last of her. I much prefer Ryder and Holly to Lennox and whoever she happens to be dating in any given episode.

I got the other new episode on Friday, strangely enough. And yet it was dated the 12th, so go figure. MJH was dressed more decently this episode at least. Maybe she finally got the memo.

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2013 @ 12:29 PM

MJH was dressed more decently this episode at least.

Is that the one with the yellow sundress with short sweater?  I LOVED that dress/sweater combo, and I thought she looked fabulous, if not just a bit too boobalicious- a slightly higher V would've been better, but definitely an improvement over the skin tight sausage dresses.  

victura

victura

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 20, 2013 @ 2:38 AM

Is it just me, or did Joey yell out "Mayim Bialik" (aka Blossom) when he was being adjusted by the chiropractor (who, incidentally, was played by Marla Sokoloff, the bad girl Gia who was frenemies with Stephanie Tanner on Full House)? Also in the episode before, did anyone catch that the pizzas that Melissa ordered for Joey was from Mignogna's Famous, Mignogna being Joey Lawrence's real last name?

I hadn't realized that the Quiz Master was the guy in her office. What a confluence of 90s nostalgia.

Can't say the show or the acting is great by any means, but since I grew up on 90s sitcoms and was a fan of Blossom and Sabrina, I watch this show every once in awhile just for these little throwbacks to my childhood. That said, I don't think there are many family-oriented shows like this these days anyway, so at least it's clean entertainment for any teenagers that are watching this show.

rookie

rookie

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 20, 2013 @ 1:37 PM

Oy this show. It's like a train wreck and I can't look away. I understand needing to keep Mel and Joey apart, but do they really need new love interests every week??? I can't keep track and I feel no need to invest in those characters because I know there will be a new one next episode.

This episode was mildly entertaining- I liked that Jo seemed sad at the end when he realized Mel's new man might actually be sticking around. But still, can't there be one episode that doesn't revolve around dating someone? And not enough Ryder. He's legit the best thing on this show and the most underutilized character. Considering he's suspended and at home ALL the time, couldn't they find something for him to do??

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Jun 21, 2013 @ 12:40 PM

I don't think there are many family-oriented shows like this these days anyway, so at least it's clean entertainment for any teenagers that are watching this show.

Eh, I'm not sure how wholesome and family friendly it is when Joe is making comments about "sliding it in" and Lennox has a condom company advertising on her blog. Maybe it's not as raunchy as some of the stuff on the major networks but it's not exactly Happy Days either.

Spent the whole half hour trying to figure out where I'd seen the guy who played Austin before then had to look him up. Turns out he used to be on Days of our Lives back in the day. Also, he's only listed as doing one episode of this show, so you're right rookie - new love interest every week.

I hadn't realized that the Quiz Master was the guy in her office. What a confluence of 90s nostalgia.

I wonder how many other cast members from Sabrina she's still friends with and who would appear on this show.

Speaking of which, I caught a rerun of Sabrina on The Hub last night and I think MJH has gotten a boob job since then. Either that or just weight gain from her recent pregnancy.

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2013 @ 1:47 PM

This recent episode had MJH wearing a dress that Kim Kardashion  (sp?) was skewered for, comparing her to an orca whale.  It only looked slightly better on MJH mostly because of the jacket.  

Eh, I'm not sure how wholesome and family friendly it is when Joe is making comments about "sliding it in" and Lennox has a condom company advertising on her blog. Maybe it's not as raunchy as some of the stuff on the major networks but it's not exactly Happy Days either.

No, with Joe & Mel jumping either jumping in & out of bed or talking about it, I wouldn't say it's great family tv either.  certainly not wholesome.  A  lot of the innuendo probably goes over the kiddies heads, though.

Winston Wolfe

Winston Wolfe

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2013 @ 4:28 PM

Speaking of which, I caught a rerun of Sabrina on The Hub last night and I think MJH has gotten a boob job since then. Either that or just weight gain from her recent pregnancy.

How long ago did Melissa give birth?  Perhaps she's still nursing.  The "enhancements" do give the writers some new toys to play with, figuratively speaking.  Mel didn't have cleavage to use as a distraction before.  And although wardrobe is doing a bit better, her outfits are still too tight.

Edited by Winston Wolfe, Jun 23, 2013 @ 12:59 PM.

kingofpoppa

kingofpoppa

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2013 @ 4:40 PM

This weeks episode made me think that dumping Lennox and Ryder and having Melissa and Joey get married might be a better storyline.

They need more characters and the kids add nothing because Lennox is obnoxious and they don't use Ryder enough.

keepwalking

keepwalking

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 22, 2013 @ 10:00 AM

What ever happened with that woman Joey married on the show? 

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Jun 23, 2013 @ 11:51 AM

She had to go back to Russia for some reason but I can't remember why. 

mybabyaidan

mybabyaidan

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2013 @ 1:40 PM

Rider coming down in the shirt and tie and boxers was completely telegraphed from the second Joe told him to put on a "shirt and tie" but it was still really really funny.   I love that kid.

The rest...eh I got nothing.  I think its a cute little show, and I am surprised how much I am enjoying MJH and JL.  They DO have a nice chemistry.

Enero

Enero

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 23, 2013 @ 4:55 PM

With all the dark TV shows I love - Game of Thrones, True Blood, Snapped, etc., I was looking for something light to balance my viewing habits so I gave this show a shot. I'm watching Season One now on Netflix. I'm enjoying it very much. MJH and JL have wonderful chemistry and the banter between them is great.

If the show manages to stay on after the kids becomes adults I think they could hook up Joe and Mel, it wouldn't be that big of a leap to change the premise of the show from them raising her niece/nephew to their relationship. I think it could still work with this change.

Anyway, this is a refreshing change from many of the other shows I watch.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Jun 27, 2013 @ 12:05 PM

Enero Season 1 was cute. Season 2 was hit or miss and sadly the last two seasons have been pretty weak. The writing in particular is lazy and they don't seem to be putting in much effort anymore.

Austin deserved to get a pool cue to the groin area, and so did Mel for that obnoxious PDA at the club. Even the pool players at the next table over were giving them the side-eye. What are they, in junior high? Get a room.

Felt sorry for that poor home-schooled kid when Ryder told them they weren't friends. Not too crazy about the new girlfriend either - Holly was funnier. At least they remembered that Ryder's mother is in jail. That doesn't seem to come up anymore. And is his father still on the run? I can't even remember anymore.

Peterased

Peterased

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 27, 2013 @ 2:05 PM

Joey Lawrence's tan looked especially bad last night.

cmm226

cmm226

Fanatic

Posted Jun 28, 2013 @ 8:14 AM

It was almost as brown as his hair. Actually, it reminds me of MTV's "True Life: I'm obsessed with tanning" (or something) episode.

Ugh, Mel and her bf are obnoxious.

Edited by cmm226, Jun 28, 2013 @ 8:15 AM.

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted Jun 28, 2013 @ 11:53 AM

That couch session was disgusting.  They were going at it while the entire family was in the next room?  GROSS.  And I can't stand the "actor" cast as the BF... he looks like a child attached to a man's body.  But I guess his 'acting' fits into the overly dramatic style of comedic acting this show seems to prefer.  

I used to like the girl (whose name, Lennox, I had to scroll back up to get) but she bothers me so much this season.  Ryder's Holly 2.0 GF-to-be is already annoying me.  

And Joey Lawrence... please- do something about that most unnatural thing you've got going on, on the top of your head.  It looks painted on for cripes sake.  If it's hair plugs, let it grow out a little bit... if it's a toupe, take it the fuck off.. I'm begging you.

This has now become the show I watch on my iphone when I'm laying in bed wide awake at 3 am in the hopes I'll fall asleep.  Didn't work last night, sadly.  

kingofpoppa

kingofpoppa

Fanatic

Posted Jun 29, 2013 @ 10:14 AM

It would have been so much more entertaining if Mel had hooked up with her old boyfriend on Facebook and it would have turned out to be Harvey.