7-14: "Semi-Finals" 2010.08.03 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

46 replies to this topic

kassa

kassa

Fanatic

Posted Aug 4, 2010 @ 4:30 PM

What's the show's policy on pain meds/muscle relaxers? Because you'd think somebody in that position who WANTED to compete would be saying "just dull the pain and I'm ready to go." They've taken contestants to the hospital -- they can't swing some extra strength midol?

chesslover

chesslover

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 4, 2010 @ 6:13 PM

Ben went oui oui oui all the way home. It's spelled Sheboygan.

Edited by chesslover, Aug 4, 2010 @ 6:47 PM.

la llorona

la llorona

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 4, 2010 @ 7:14 PM

All I could think about while Ben was whining about his back was S6 Dave singlehandedly winning the competition with his arm in a cast (and possible nerve damage).

I LOL'd when the medic asked Ben, "Um, what exactly do you want us to do for you?" I don't even want to know how Ben handles a paper cut.

rack

rack

Fanatic

Posted Aug 4, 2010 @ 8:24 PM

Absolutely. Dave was a beast. He fought through real pain week after week, and he didn't talk about his competitors the way Ben did.

Gordon has often talked about how confident people aren't usually arrogant; insecure people are. Dave was confident. Ben was arrogant.

Oakwhiz

Oakwhiz

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 4, 2010 @ 8:37 PM

That being said, does anyone else think GR let Ben get this far just to let him down hard? Heh -- I'd like to hope so!

I was really worried that Ben would be in the final two. So glad he wasn't. Cannot believe he would miss prep and keep going in the bizarre hope that he would be IN the final two. I loved the look of Sous Chef Scott when he asked where was Ben. Kind of had a Mona Lisa smile like "yeah, Bennie, you can't cut it, can you" look.

I'm happy with the final two. Kind of going for Holli, but thought Jay was very good at the pass and would be the more confident of the two. Gordon was really coaching her during the pass, more so than the others. I did feel bad for Autumn. They kept knocking her down, episode after episode, but she kept trying. She can hold her head up high...

There's been at least one suicide.

Really? Who was it? Plus what series was the person on, or give details on their appearance please. So many people, names and faces I can't remember everyone. That's a shame (about the suicide).

Edited by Oakwhiz, Aug 4, 2010 @ 8:37 PM.

alpha992000

alpha992000

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 4, 2010 @ 10:44 PM

Really? Who was it? Plus what series was the person on, or give details on their appearance please. So many people, names and faces I can't remember everyone. That's a shame (about the suicide).

I didn't know someone committed suicide. So sad, may she rest in peace. This is the only info I could find:

http://www.pegasusne...?refscroll=1100

Oakwhiz

Oakwhiz

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 5, 2010 @ 5:38 AM

Thanks for the information and link alpha992000. She looks familiar. So sad...

ThatBadgerChick

ThatBadgerChick

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 5, 2010 @ 8:28 AM

Words have not been invented to describe the degree to which Ben sucks. I honestly don't believe he listened to a single world that Ramsay said to him all season long. Ramsay gave specific reasons for picking other dishes over Ben's in the challenges (with the venison dish, he said Ben's sauce was too watery), but that all went in one ear and right out the other, because Ben is perfect as he is and has no use for constructive criticism. Same with Ramsay telling him to communicate -- no effect on Ben's actions at all. Because he's perfect! Why change?

I love that even in this episode he was going on about how Autumn had no passion and how he, Ben, had loads of it. Um, Autumn has done nothing but bounce back and persevere every single time she's been knocked down, and what have you done, Ben? Oh, that's right -- you whined, you bitched, you moaned, you ignored what your mentor was trying to tell you, you faked a back injury and then you quit, jackass. I guess if that's how you define "passion", then you're right -- you had it and Autumn didn't.

Loved his quote at the end, which went something along the lines of, "After this, I can't go back to teaching." Um yeah, probably not. But not for the reasons you think. Have fun screaming, "Oui, chef!" while you work the line at Applebee's, dickhead.

In terms of leadership ability and experience, Jay deserves the win. But I'd really like to see Holli take it -- like others have said, she can certainly learn how to lead and her cooking skills are at least as good as Jay's. Plus I like her, and I'd love to see her take home the big prize after Ben (and Jay) talked so much shit about her all season long.

jade76

jade76

Fanatic

Posted Aug 5, 2010 @ 9:05 AM

All I could think about while Ben was whining about his back was S6 Dave singlehandedly winning the competition with his arm in a cast (and possible nerve damage).

I thought the same thing. His injury looked very fake to me and I think the medics thought so too. They were asking him well what do you want us to do, and BEN is the one who requested a chiropractor, I think they didn't offer one because they didn't think he needed one. No way could he move around the way he was if his back hurt so bad he was wanting to quit.
Watching the chefs at the pass was interesting this season. In the past I think most of them have tried to act like GR and yell and curse all the time, this time most of them were calmer but still got the food out. I thought Jay did a pretty good job at that.

TheHellYouSay

TheHellYouSay

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 5, 2010 @ 3:19 PM

Ben went oui oui oui all the way home.

HA! Perfect. What a freaking douchebag. Every time he pretentiously shouted "Oui Chef!" I wanted to smack him in the head. I can hardly express how happy I am he got kicked to the curb.

Go Holli go!

Redwhit

Redwhit

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 5, 2010 @ 6:33 PM

It was the second season if memory serves. Heather (I think that was the winner's name) was a sous chef last season.

AliasBatro

AliasBatro

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 6, 2010 @ 1:18 AM

Congratulations to Holli and/or Jay for winning the latest edition of Hell's Kitchen...I don't give a flying wellington who actually gets the prize, because these two are the the least capable excuses for chefs to have blighted HK. In previous seasons, there was at least one finalist who seemed marginally competent enough to run a quality restaurant, but not this time. I'll assume that Holli has the edge, because GR has a history of picking the hottie over the merely competent (witness Petrozza), and by that criterion I would have preferred that Autumn stayed.

Just thinking of eating at a kitchen run by these clowns gives me indigestion.

MrsGargoyle

MrsGargoyle

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 6, 2010 @ 12:05 PM

Jay seems to me the most all around competent...solid cook, perfect at the pass, etc. I'm wondering if he's the shoe-in and Holli was selected over Autumn and Ben just for good T.V. in terms of the romance and rivalry angle.

That said! I agree with everyone that has pointed out that Holli is really good and just needs more mentoring. She was the most level headed throughout all the ups and downs of the Red Team. I noticed, too, that she always seemed to be the one trying to make sure everyone felt like their opinion was being heard during the dorm conversations, which I think is a sign of good leadership and teamwork. She'd do well if she won it.

Also, I have to admit, I really really want to see her get that chance to totally change her family's life :) The person who posted about her boy saying "look mommy, we're on a ship," I'm with them, that was a great moment. How awesome it would be for all three of them to go to London. Holli's got my vote!

RavensGirl

RavensGirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 6, 2010 @ 1:04 PM

I can't stand Ben and agree that his injury was more than likely faked to get out of prep. But a part of me also wonders if he also caught heck for simply not being Dave who kicked rear with one arm.

KAT from LA

KAT from LA

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 6, 2010 @ 6:47 PM

I can just see Ben claiming that the only reason he wasn't in the final 2 was because he had the back problem. I think he invented it because he was afraid he wasn't going to win and wanted out. Loser. Was it just me or did anyone notice that he was moving around quite well for someone with such 'horrific pain"? I didn't see so much as a grimace or a wince but then again I don't look too closely at his conceited mug. Holly for the win!!

I thought the same thing. Seems he would have at least showed up and done what he could for prep before realizing the pain was just too much to bear. I certainly cannot move around like that when I have back pain.

Natural510

Natural510

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 7, 2010 @ 1:22 PM

I'm a bit surprised some of you actually think Holli & Jay will (did?) move together to London after the show ended. These reality-show romances, even when romance is the theme, are generally to take the contestants' minds off the daily grind during the filming.
My guess is Holli started dating someone else not long after the show ended and, Jay continued trying (and failing) his sleazy charm on others.

LakeGal

LakeGal

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2010 @ 9:37 AM

I believe Ben was faking. He was crawling in and out of the hot tub with no problem. They made a point of showing us that Ben bent over to pick up something in the bathroom. Nobody with a real sore back moves around like him. He wanted sympathy and excuses. It didn't work. He went home.

I think Holli will win. They have not had a female winner in a few seasons. Holli has won some individual comps and she does not get yelled at alot by GR. Jay and Ben both seemed to think they were superior to female chefs. For that reason it would be nice to see Jay lose to a woman.