17-11: "Ali Gives Out Her Final Rose/After The Final Rose" 2010.08.02

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

199 replies to this topic

BananaCupcakes

BananaCupcakes

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 5, 2010 @ 6:47 PM

Yeah, I winced when Chris asked that question, because there was no way the answer was going to be anything he wanted to hear! Love your name, by the way BananaCupcakes, but now I'm craving cupcakes big time!

Thanks, TomGirl. I had the hardest time picking a screen name, and thought, hmmmmm, what do I like the best?

Lordloveaduck

Lordloveaduck

Fanatic

Posted Aug 5, 2010 @ 9:18 PM

As others have mentioned, how could Ali have been so devastated by Frank's rejection if she was in love with Roberto from the start?

In real time, how many days was it between Frank's departure and Roberto's proposal? Maybe 5 days or so? A week, perhaps? I thought she and Roberto did look very genuine together, and very happy, but I was wondering how long ago it was that Frank left.

She should be doing the happy dance of gratitude that he did, because Roberto seems far, far better in every way - looks, career, interests, sincerity - than Frank.

Shant

Shant

Fanatic

Posted Aug 5, 2010 @ 10:03 PM

He seems like a nice guy, but he struggles just to put a sentence together.

I wonder if he is actually an articulate guy with an above average vocabulary but TPTB told him, "No more big words. The viewers are simple people, don't confuse them." In trying to dumb himself down he started overthinking what he had to say and ended up sounding the way he did. Obviously he has a quick wit so he can't be that simple.

Mayo612

Mayo612

Just Tuned In

Posted Aug 5, 2010 @ 10:09 PM

They don't make the other guy propose. They make him choose a ring and show up to the final rose ceremony, at which point the Bachelorette tell's him whether or not he's "the one". Ideally the Bachelorette should give some indication before the guy gets down on one knee in order to save what's left of his dignity, but I know of at least one Bachelorette (DeAnna) who let the F2 (Mesnick) propose before rejecting him. For that I blame DeAnna, not TPTB.

Okay that makes more sense. Thanks chocolatine!

NightBaron

NightBaron

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 5, 2010 @ 10:13 PM

I believe that Chris has trouble forming sentences when he's flustered, which was the case with Ali's family and at the ATFR special. Those were the times when he had most trouble speaking. However in confessionals we saw a more relaxed and verbose Chris. I think it's all about nerves.

BananaCupcakes

BananaCupcakes

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 6, 2010 @ 1:00 AM

As others have mentioned, how could Ali have been so devastated by Frank's rejection if she was in love with Roberto from the start?

I think maybe she thought that, if even the nerdy, not so hot guy was rejecting her, how would the perfect, insanely hot Roberto really like her? I remember dating a guy who was not that great looking or really all that special [now in hindsight, don't know what I was thinking there], but anyhoo, he dumped me, and I felt like, "Who is he to dump me?" Getting dumped by someone who is not that great is almost more devastating to your ego. I think maybe it was more an ego blow than heartbreak. Of course, I'm just talking out of my butt here, because I don't know any of the parties involved, but I guess that's what we do here.

dcinmb

dcinmb

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 6, 2010 @ 3:02 AM

Say what you will about Ali, but she is one of the few bachelorettes that knows how to wear a strapless dress. Sitting here watching Melissa Rycroft tugging up her dress on Kimmel brings to mind the bodice-yanking mess that was DeAnna. I don't remember ever seeing Ali tugging at her many strapless dresses, even when she and her gown were being buffeted by gale force winds on her way to the FR.

sparkareno

sparkareno

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 6, 2010 @ 11:32 AM

She should be doing the happy dance of gratitude that he did, because Roberto seems far, far better in every way - looks, career, interests, sincerity - than Frank.

you forgot wardrobe

khue

khue

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 6, 2010 @ 5:07 PM

I never got into Ali, couldn't understand what made her so "special". Best I can figure is that's she's the millennium kid's answer to Mary Tyler Moore. Oh and everytime Riberdoh would hoist her up in his arms (did I hear an audible gasp and hutttt! when he did?) I couldn't help but think of Shrek and Fiona. Riberdoh is a smallish dude. Ali is of Eastern European build like me-one made for carrying the harvest and hips ready to birth a kid or 20. I don't know-everytime there was a hoisting or leg wrapping or carrying off scene between Rib-man and Ali I laughed. Tenley was the type you wisked away. Ali...not so much.

I would so stalk Cape Cod Chris if I lived anywhere remotely close to the Massachusetts shore. And if I weren't 15 years his senior. And married. Oh how I would want to cuddle that wounded soul. He was darling and so stinking honest. I believe the rainbow! And yes it pissed me off that everyone kept asking about his mom. He wore all his emotions on his face. Awwww. I know that's the name of this show but seriously? He was NOT ready to talk about it and I appreciate that he handled it all with grace. What a sweet guy. He'll find his one. And she's going to be a lucky, lucky gal.

Edited by khue, Aug 6, 2010 @ 5:32 PM.

Kveta

Kveta

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 6, 2010 @ 8:58 PM

I finally watched the after TFR. Yes, I also thought Ali kind of shrieked "are you happy" at Chris. Reminded me of a long ago scene from "An Officer and a Gentleman" with the "happy-happy" exchange between Debra Winger and Richard Gere. Meant to show that neither was happy without the other.

Chris is a gentleman in the nicest sense of the word. I could have done without the "Ali's and I's relationship" or maybe I misheard it, since this was from the same man who said "if she so chooses", and "if I were lucky enough to be that man".

What struck me though, most of all, is that Chris in my opinion looked substantial through most of the series, but sitting next to Ali looked like he lost a lot of weight.

Anyone think the same?

chocolatine

chocolatine

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2010 @ 1:53 AM

What struck me though, most of all, is that Chris in my opinion looked substantial through most of the series, but sitting next to Ali looked like he lost a lot of weight.

Anyone think the same?

Yes, and I don't like it at all (I'm partial to "substantial" men). I'm also not a fan of the bleach job they did on his hair. I wonder if it's an indication that he'll be the next Bachelor. Remember how cute/normal Ali looked during Jake's season, then had the terrible dress and makeup on that ATFR, and then added the fake tan and ratty hair extensions for this season? I hope Chris goes back to his wholesome Cape Cod life; being the next Bachelor won't do him any favors.

The Voices

The Voices

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 8, 2010 @ 7:53 PM

I don't know what word Ali is trying to say, I think it must be "important," but it comes out like im-por-unt. Is that a regional Massachusetts dialect thing? Whatever it is, it drives me crazy every time.

I'm from Ali's town, and I'm sorry, but I have never heard anyone pronounce that first 't'. I've tried saying it that way, and it sounds ridiculous to my ears. It sounds so- rain-in-Spain, Professor Higgins-esque. I do the same thing with the city "Portland.' So my vote is for regional dialect.

Eddiesgirl

Eddiesgirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 8, 2010 @ 9:48 PM

I really felt Chris as the next Bachelor from the start. I think that's why he was kept, since Ali was into rbirdo and no one else. In my opinion, her reaction to Frank was just a matter of ego, meaning "what, you are dumping me on MY show? I'm supposed to be dumping YOU".

I am guessing they didn't let us see the "real" (as real as it can get here) or the "whole" Chris. It sure was set up for him to be the next Bachelor, though, on the final show with Chris saying numerous times that he is ready to be in love, ready to look for love, ready to find love and ready to find the one. Complete with a rainbow and my guess is that his season will start out with a rainbow (when he is alone talking of finding love) and end with a rainbow (when he is proposing). I don't think it will be "mom-heavy", there will be some but not alot. And I think they kept much about him from us, in order to keep his season fresh. Yes, we met his family, but not for long at all, and most loved them, so would want to see more of them. They didn't let us tire of Chris except for the few parts they played over and over again, because that's all they wanted us to see and let us see. Chris has a beautiful voice, and I am sure that he did articulate a few sentences, we just didn't get to see it.

As for Ali and rbirdo, I agree with those who say that these people are very young. Yes, it worked for Trista and Ryan, but when Trista was the runner-up on the Bachelor with Alex Michel, I think, but could stand corrected, that she was already 31 or 32. Maybe after that was when this show became kind of the joke it is, because they just kept going younger and younger, and there would be no way of lasting relationships, let alone marriage, among the contestants.

I won't be watching Bachelor Pad because just seeing promos for it make me feel like I need to take a shower.

Bethanne

Bethanne

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 9, 2010 @ 9:41 AM

I am sitting here on my high horse telling myself that instead of getting sucked into ABCs web of degradation tonight I will pick up one of the classics or knit hats for crack babies, but I know that at 8 p.m. my butt will be parked in front of Bachelor Pad. I don't feel good about it, but hey, it is what it is.

I agree with all of you who think Chris is a rolling suitcase full of issues and Ali and Roberty will split before the post-coital sweat dries.

I only have two things to add to this discussion.

1. Am I the only one who doesn't really get the sense that anyone in Ali's family likes her all that much?

2. I would have loved to be in the room when the production assistants gave Roberto the basket full of craft supplies and told him to go to town. I just pictured him sitting at a table with me and my girlfriends on one of our scrapbooking nights, trying to find the perfect sticker and using the Cricut machine to produce an appropriate flowery font.

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Aug 9, 2010 @ 5:26 PM

Am I the only one who doesn't really get the sense that anyone in Ali's family likes her all that much?

I didn't really get that sense -- more along the lines of, those people probably never expected to find themselves on national TV -- but I did certainly wonder about her relationship with her sister. I don't have a sister myself, but if I had one that was 40 lbs. lighter, blonder (albeit bottle blonde) and whose bikini-clad bod was splashed all over TV & the tabloids, I think I'd feel somewhat conflicted.

The home/family visits are often the most "real" part of this so-called "reality show," because the various moms, dads, siblings etc. aren't the wannabe actors we often see on "The Bachelor/ette." Though I suspect they are coached to some extent -- the producers obviously tell them to ask the candidates "Can I speak to you outside," and I'm willing to bet that somebody made sure that Ali's mother asked Chris about his mom.

ClaireO

ClaireO

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 10, 2010 @ 8:24 AM

I don't have a sister myself, but if I had one that was 40 lbs. lighter, blonder (albeit bottle blonde) and whose bikini-clad bod was splashed all over TV & the tabloids, I think I'd feel somewhat conflicted.

I had the same thought, although it seemed that Raya (or whatever her name was) felt pretty comfortable in her own skin. Ali may talk about career and all that, but her sister gave off a vibe that she has found what she loves to do and she knows she does it well. Ali should aspire to her sister's strong sense of self.

And LOL about Roberto and the crafts. It was probably something along the lines of "here's your assistant, tell her which picture you want and how you'd like the frame decorated. Then we'll have you write something, sign it, and your assistant will put it all together for you."

LennieB

LennieB

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2010 @ 8:46 AM

The first "t" in "important" is neither omitted (Ali) nor stressed (Prof. Higgins?); it is pronounced with the tongue against the palate.
But hey: that's Ruhbirdo's problemo now!

Edited by LennieB, Aug 10, 2010 @ 8:51 AM.

The Voices

The Voices

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 10, 2010 @ 11:35 PM

Of course, Rohberdo pronounces his own name the same way, so... don't know what conclusion we can draw from that. I still attest that 'impor'ant' must be an around-here thing. I conducted an informal study on Facebook, and everyone said they slur the t in important. Not really that impor'ant in the grand scheme of this discussion, but still.
I work with the mother of Raya's boyfriend. They are very steady, and she is quite happy, from all reports.

TomGirl

TomGirl

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 11, 2010 @ 9:05 AM

I work with the mother of Raya's boyfriend. They are very steady, and she is quite happy, from all reports.

"They" being Raya and her boyfriend or Ali and Roberto?

Ciarrai

Ciarrai

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 21, 2011 @ 9:00 PM

Ali and Roberto announced their split today.
http://www.people.co...0547490,00.html