Bethenny Ever After: Still Waiting for the Happily

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

7545 replies to this topic

inatizzy

inatizzy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:56 AM

That's the way it should be, but I don't think Bethenny accepts that someone else be calm while she is frantic. I don't see that Julie gets that much in a frenzy, but I do think that Bethenny takes that calmer attitude as disinterest/lack of motivation.

I don't think so, for example when Gina was replaced by Dawa, Bethenny was grateful for the calming, quite presence of Dawa. She has never indicated that the calm, quiet demeanor of Dawa was indicative of her disinterest or lack of motivation.

Nick has that kind of quiet, calm, steady demeanor and I can't recall when Bethenny ever equated that to him being disinterested or he lacks motivation.

Edited by inatizzy, Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:59 AM.

coffeeplease

coffeeplease

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:06 PM

SO now it's Julie's fault that Bethenny is hyper? Does she ever own her own issues? Her parents fucked her up, Jason pushes her buttons. His parents crowd her. Is it ever just Bethenny? What a ringing endorsement for Julie to any prospective employer. "Julie exudes too much energy that will affect you in a negative way". Yeah, that'll get her lots of jobs.

Exactly. And when I said she should have taken it gracefully, I meant that she didn't have to make that remark. If I had heard something like when giving my notice I would think my employer didn't think I was doing a good job, which is the impression I got from Julie's reaction to hearing that.

inatizzy

inatizzy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:53 PM

If I had heard something like when giving my notice I would think my employer didn't think I was doing a good job, which is the impression I got from Julie's reaction to hearing that.

I don't understand that because Bethenny specifically said that Julie was good at the job (meaning she does a good job). Bethenny was just mirroring what Julie said which was that the job was burning her out (meaning, this job is not good for me).

ish

ish

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:04 PM

I don't think so, for example when Gina was replaced by Dawa, Bethenny was grateful for the calming, quite presence of Dawa. She has never indicated that the calm, quiet demeanor of Dawa was indicative of her disinterest or lack of motivation.

Nick has that kind of quiet, calm, steady demeanor and I can't recall when Bethenny ever equated that to him being disinterested or he lacks motivation

Dawa is a nanny. Basically, she keeps Bryn out of Bethenny's hair when Bethenny is pre occupied with work. She isn't Bethenny's personal assistant. Neither is Nick, He is normally quiet and reserved, but Bethenny does her best to raise his energy level around her. There is a big difference between those jobs and Julie's. Let's see how Jackie fares with Bethenny. She seems more laid back. Will she be able to maintain that calm, or will Bethenny expect her to ramp things up?

PharmGal10

PharmGal10

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:09 PM

I thought Julie seemed taken aback when she made that backhanded 'compliment' that she is good for the job but the job isn't good for her

I'm no Bethenny fan (clearly, lol!), but I actually thought nothing of it when Bethenny said that. I took it to mean that Julie could do the job, and did it well, but it wasn't the job for her. It wasn't the career for her. She wasn't meant to work such a stressful position in such a stressful environment - even though she's capable on paper, it's not how she's meant to spend her working life. I actually was told a similar comment when I resigned as someone's executive assistant when I was in college. My boss could clearly tell that even though I went above and beyond for him, the job was not my passion, and I didn't enjoy it. I think Bethenny could tell Julie was not enjoying the job.

I watched the scene again online, and Julie didn't look taken aback. She just looked like normal Julie. I think she was mentally preparing herself for far worse, and looked tense.

coffeeplease

coffeeplease

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:24 PM

I obviously took that comment differently. In any event, I'm glad that Julie is out of there and it will be interesting to see how the new girl does.

Kveta

Kveta

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:24 PM

When Bethenny was sitting across from Dr. Amador there was a red handbag next to her. Anyone notice it? Can anyone tell me who designed it?

PharmGal10

PharmGal10

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:31 PM

I obviously took that comment differently. In any event, I'm glad that Julie is out of there and it will be interesting to see how the new girl does.

It's very possible Bethenny meant it as a back-handed compliment - I just didn't hear it in that way. And yes, three cheers for Julie getting out when she did. I hope she's living very happily in Pittsburgh with her bf and family.

Edited by PharmGal10, Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:34 PM.

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:34 PM

I thought Julie looked like she had been slapped when Bethenny said that. But then I never expected Bethenny would be gracious if Julie left. And then to expect that the other girls automatically wanted to move up a notch and take on even more responsibility after seeing how Julie was appreciated... if I were them, I'd run for the hills. So much for being Bryn's godmother. If going to visit granny and grampa once a month is a chore, I can't see Bethenny hauling her ass out to Pittsburgh for visits.

Since I thought that whole scene (except for Jason's reaction) looked staged for the camera, so Bethenny and Julie could play it through as B. wanted, I was particularly surprised how Bethenny STILL had to be negative about someone who had put her life on hold for Bethenny.

I -did- like her reminiscing in Amadore's office about how Julie had believed in her from the beginning and began as a volunteer, then at low wages, but I felt there was more to that story, had we heard Julie's version.

I -didn't- like Bethenny telling Julie and then saying it again on camera to her shrink, that Julie's negative energy and stress had transferred onto Bethenny and negatively impacted her, too.

I don't believe THAT for a second and I thought Julie looked hurt that she said it. Julie, not Bethenny, has always seemed the quiet, over-worked, on-top-of-it-even-though-your-boss-is-a-screaming-basket-case one. It would have been nice to hear her INSTEAD rightly credited for REDUCING B's stress, for picking up all the pieces B. continually has flying all over the place, and for helping her stay calm and focused.

I believe that was their actual relationship and its too bad that, as usual, B. has so little self-awareness that she continues to blame others for any "flaws" in herself (and, of course, per his contract, Amadore keeps to his script, too, that everyone else is always more to blame for things than she is).

ITA that Jason seemed genuinely sad. I thought it was cute when he said, "I love my Julie". I think he's more "big brother/friend" to the staff; they're probably sad to think the walled off apartment will be blocking them from Jason's calming influence and leaving them with the crazy.

Still curious how much Julie was making at the end. I'm guessing, maybe, in the $30k range--grossly underpaid.

inatizzy

inatizzy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:42 PM

When Bethenny was sitting across from Dr. Amador there was a red handbag next to her. Anyone notice it? Can anyone tell me who designed it?

Pretty sure it was Prada and it was gorgeous. I am really loving the way Bethenny is dressing lately.

Portae

Portae

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:53 PM

Still curious how much Julie was making at the end. I'm guessing, maybe, in the $30k range--grossly underpaid.

I've seen a few references to Julie's salary, and after last night, it has me thinking. Why should Julie or any of the other young women be making significantly more than $30,000 or $40,000? I realize that it's a tireless job with endless hours, but it also doesn't seem to require much skill. The fact that Bethenny joked about her company being run by "20 something year old girls" is telling, since I don't think that anybody on her team is actually "running" anything. It seems like Julie, Jackie, and Maggie are responsible for Bethenny's schedule and accompanying her to various events, but I seriously doubt if any of them are writing her press releases, seeking out potential partnerships for the SkinnyGirl brand, handling the merchandising for her products, or even handling design and content of Bethenny's website. I assume that there's a group of people who do those things somewhere (but not on camera), but not the team that we see. The only one who seems to have any concrete skills (the kind that you can actually put on a resume and use to land a specific job) is Bethenny's hairdresser. Bethenny mentioned how Julie would be able to "write her own ticket," but I'm not sure what industry Julie's skill set falls into. I'm not trying to demean what these young women are doing, but salaries are usually proportionate to the level of skill, education, and experience of the person in question. Keeping track of Bethenny's dental appointments might be time consuming, but I don't see why it would merit a six figure salary.

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 2:13 PM

Why should Julie or any of the other young women be making significantly more than $30,000 or $40,000?

I don't know if Julie's even making that much, but working in NYC as the administrative assistant to a multimillionaire businesswoman, you'd expect her to be making a professionally-comparable wage (esp. as B. is "all about empowering women").

They may all be forced to work out of B's apartment rather than a genuine office (and not even have a chair and table in some cases), but that's because their boss is a bit nuts (I do NOT think the awful working conditions for everyone are because B. wants to be near Brynn).

Julie was an administrative assistant to a company president who made the cover of Forbes. Add in, that she was there when B. had NOTHING, couldn't even pay her rent, and her quiet efficiency (and willingness to work long hours and every weekend) was probably a very big factor in freeing B. up for -her- specialties (personal appearances)by keeping everything else going.

At least, Julie should have been raised to a six figure salary, imo, when B. got the $100 million sale. But I think there's a reason that B's new-hires (plus Nick) are 23 and 25--they are cheap and somewhat desperate and therefore easily manipulated.

It really seemed that "money" was not a factor in Julie's decision. This makes me think that she knew she was still being underpaid, even now, and just got tired of it (and also the lack of appreciation that B. made clear with the "blame game". We saw that before, at Thanksgiving, but I was still surprised she'd bring out that message when Julie was LEAVING).

islandgal

islandgal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 2:33 PM

Julie was an administrative assistant to a company president who made the cover of Forbes. Add in, that she was there when B. had NOTHING, couldn't even pay her rent, and her quiet efficiency (and willingness to work long hours and every weekend) was probably a very big factor in freeing B. up for -her- specialties (personal appearances)by keeping everything else going.

Is B president of Skinnygirl Inc.? Is she running a full fledged corp out of her apartment? From the little bit shown, it seems her main responsibilities lie in PR appearances - nothing wrong with that. However, someone's got to be out there pounding the pavement and doing the grunt work of actually meeting with marketing, manufacturers, all the 'devil in the details' shit. I would love to meet the wizard behind the curtain.

I for the life of me can't figure out if there is a corporation, whose really running it and how is it structured. It is apparent that B (and probably some business partners) owns the Skinnygirl brand (except for what she sold off to the Jim Beam) what is a mystery is do B and company license the name out to others to use or do they find a manufacturer to make their products to their specs and then put the skinnygirl label on them?

prostitutewhore

prostitutewhore

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 3:14 PM

A wee bit late here--just a couple of lines of ancient wisdom that Bethenny might take into consideration:

"An excellent wife is the crown of her husband,
But she who shames him is as rottenness in his bones."

And this:

"... A contentious wife is like a constant dripping."

And this:

"A wise woman builds her house,
But the foolish tears it down with her own hands."

I get what you are saying but those adages seem so outdated, and kind of sexist to me. Maybe I am reading too much into them, but really? A husband's crown? Blech.

chainey

chainey

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 3:22 PM

"An excellent wife is the crown of her husband,
But she who shames him is as rottenness in his bones."

And this:

"... A contentious wife is like a constant dripping."

And this:

"A wise woman builds her house,
But the foolish tears it down with her own hands."

Let's try it this way:

"An excellent spouse is the crown of their beloved,
But they who shames their loved one is as rottenness in their bones."

And this:

"... A contentious spouse is like a constant dripping."

And this:

"A wise spouse builds their house,
But the foolish one tears it down with their own hands."

ish

ish

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 3:37 PM

I hope she's living very happily in Pittsburgh with her bf and family.

Interesting that Bethenny didn't put Julie down for wanting to live closer to her family. No remarks about boundaries.. I wonder how often Julie was able to get back to Pittsburgh to see her family and BF. More than once every 3 or 4 weeks? I wonder on whose side Julie leaned toward in the "visiting the Hoppys" argument.

Julie also seemed uncomfortable when Bethenny brought up the "inside vs outside" Jason and attempted to get her to confirm that the inside Jason beat her up, ripped her apart off camera and made sure to put on a nice face when filming.

Kveta

Kveta

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 3:38 PM

Thank you inatizzy.

Yes-Prada-spring runway collection. Found it at needless markup for $2950.......Gorgeous is right!

Amanda Rachel

Amanda Rachel

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 3:55 PM

inatizzy (hee!)

I got the impression that Bethenny was saying that Julie's frenetic nervous energy gets her even more wound up, and I can see how that would happen. For people like Bethenny, who are high strung and easily sent 'in a tizzy', :).....they need a person who can keep a calm attitude and demeanor, not someone who feeds into the frenzy or takes it on themselves.

Totally understand what you're saying there, and I'm probably projecting too many of my own issues with my boss into my interpretation (I have essentially the same job in the same biz - alcoholic beverages - with the same type of boss, though I think I'd prefer Bethenny). But what I was getting at is that Julie is probably exposed to Bethenny's most stressful energy for the most amount of time, and it's been a prolonged situation over three years. Even those of us who pride ourselves on keeping a calm demeanor can only take so much before you start absorbing that paranoid buzz and letting it seep into your own reactions. Especially when a major role of an exec asst is to anticipate needs. I can imagine this happening to Julie, which is why when Bethenny made that statement in the therapist's office, it seemed like she had no awareness that her energy was probably contributing to Julie's stress. Though, I do like Bethenny and think she is self-aware enough to realize what a whirl wind she is -- it just didn't sound like she got it in that sesh.

hatefake

hatefake

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 5:34 PM

For those wanting to know how much Julie is getting paid, it's probably in the very low 30s at best.

Entertainment related assistant jobs pay literally NOTHING you can live on by yourself in a big city. I have no idea when the big "payoff" is for positions like this, but I've heard that even assistants to big time celebrities aren't exactly rolling in the high figures either. "Some" might be, but not all.

It's a totally THANKLESS job. I'm sure they said one of those girls is an intern. She's not drawing a salary at all.

I have no idea what Bethenny does, but she certainly doesn't seem to be apart of the "business" aspect of anything. Again, I was cringing when she was asking the nutrition guy about his dating life. WTF is to HER?? Why does she keep doing that? I'm sure she was vulgar in some way and it eventually lead to her vagina, food, his penis, and how she's not getting any, but the footage landed on the editing floor. You can't tell me it didn't.

GOOD FOR JULIE!!!! YAY!!! You are FREE!! She will make an excellent executive assistant for someone. If she can work for that hyperactive shrew for THREE YEARS, then she can work for ANYONE. She'll lose about 10 pounds, lighten her hair again, wear some form fitting clothes, more makeup, etc., and FINALLY look her 28 years.

She looks mid-thirties and miserable. Poor thing.

andme

andme

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 6:22 PM

I have no idea what Bethenny does, but she certainly doesn't seem to be apart of the "business" aspect of anything

ITA. I'd be willing to bet that she just slaps her logo on most of these products. Which is fine, it frees her up to sit in a makeup chair for 8 hours a week and discuss her employees' sex lives. And talk about how busy she is.

FishMoe

FishMoe

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 6:27 PM

Did anyone else get a flashback to the first Jason last night? Bethenny asked Jason (in front of the cameras and others, of course) what he was thinking about the two of them working together full time. Jason deferred a couple of times trying to indicate, subtlety, to Bethenny that they would discuss it privately. (END OF COMPARISON AT THIS POINT) Bethenny just keeps plowing ahead and responds a bit sarcastically, while rolling her eyes, and raising her eyebrows. She seems to be suggesting, "Oh, here's the norm he'll try to get the best of me when no one else is around to witness the transaction." Once again she wants us to think Jason plays it so we will be under the impression that he's the good guy. IMHO Jason would just like to work out some important family dynamics with some privacy and discretion.

Cousin Bette

Cousin Bette

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:31 AM

<P> </P>

Edited by Cousin Bette, Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:46 AM.

Xbones

Xbones

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:15 AM

I noticed the Prada bag also, she had a black one last season. Also love the way she is dressing.

ccridernyc

ccridernyc

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:37 AM

Maybe if Bethenny took her head out of her ass it wouldn't take 40 minutes to do a ponytail.

beansNcornbread

beansNcornbread

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:15 AM

I must admit, I grow more weary with each episode. I didn't even finish the most recent. Things I'm sick of:

Bethenny talking nonstop about herself.
Bethenny making every scene about her, even when it's supposed to be about something else.
Bethenny pretending not to LOVE people fawning all over her. It's just so transparent.
Bethenny rambling on about stupid things like "I don't know how to buy furniture! Do I get the most expensive or not?" JUST MAKE A FREAKING DECISION. If you wanna buy it buy it! Who cares??? It's FURNITURE!
Bethenny making an ordeal about every little thing just to play up to the cameras.

The constant ramble. I know it's supposed to be her "thing", but it truly grates. Why can't she have a normal conversation that doesn't go in ten thousand different directions? It's so annoying.

Bethenny if your talk show is going to include a lot of this conversation "ramble" you do...it's already in trouble.

LLC

LLC

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:32 AM

I secretly wish for Jason to get the hell outta dodge & Bryn moves in with June & Ward. I shall say 10 Hail Marys.

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:53 AM

Bethenny talking nonstop about herself.
Bethenny making every scene about her, even when it's supposed to be about something else.
Bethenny pretending not to LOVE people fawning all over her. It's just so transparent.
Bethenny rambling on about stupid things like "I don't know how to buy furniture! Do I get the most expensive or not?" JUST MAKE A FREAKING DECISION. If you wanna buy it buy it! Who cares??? It's FURNITURE!
Bethenny making an ordeal about every little thing just to play up to the cameras.

The constant ramble.

ITA and I have to add...Stop intruding on people's privacy with comments about their appearance/sexual practices/love life. It's rally none of your business!

I believe its her way of flirting--to let the man (or camera) know how sexy she is. (Only, judging by how little interest she shows in actually -having- sex, I'd say, "not very".) She's a 40 year old married woman with a baby. In many cases, she is also The Boss in the relationship. . It is GROSS, and not sexy, to hear her innuendo-laden comments to people she's supposed to be interacting with as a professional. (If her husband tries to flirt with her, however, it means he's treating her like a piece of meat.)

misschung

misschung

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 2:21 PM

I agree. I thought Julie seemed taken aback when she made that backhanded 'compliment' that she is good for the job but the job isn't good for her. She should have just taken her resignation graciously, but she just had to get in that comment, which she also reiterated in more detail to her therapist.

Thank you! What was that about? I had to actually turn off my recording for a bit after that, it annoyed me so much. How about a simple "we're really going to miss you." ?

SO now it's Julie's fault that Bethenny is hyper?

Agreed. Julie is her assistant, not her life coach. Bethenny is a 40 year old woman, she needs to take ownership over her emotions.

And I'm sorry, I do not trust Bosnian Refugee Camp Bethenny to design a shapewear line. What does she know about holding in rolls and puckers? All those girls have great figures, but one of them still had a blatant bra roll in that photo shoot. Isn't eliminating that sort of thing kind of "shapewear 101"?

I'm also irritated by these assistants. Where do they find these people? That young assistant looks like she's tearing up on the playground because her mom just dropped her off at her first day at kindergarten. Is it physically impossible for Bethenny to hire a competent assistant, or is she afraid they'll steal her thunder?

And it really frosted my cookie when Bethenny was furniture shopping and said she's so used to being poor. I almost did the double-finger snap while I was watching. Poor? You had a breast lift surgery before the 3rd season of Real Housewives - how poor were you, exactly?

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 2:31 PM

"...poor." I'd forgotten that, but I have a question.

Prior to RHoNY, B. had an apartment in NYC, a fashionable (and, as we've seen, extensive) wardrobe, went to high-end social events and was bffs with the Hilfigers and otheers. She had some kind of business, I guess, with Bethenny Bakes, but it hadn't really taken off and it didn't seem to have much of a business plan with it that she was following by working diligently on it every day.

If she was "poor" before RHoNY, how did she afford her nice lifestyle (and -really- nice apt. and wardrobe)? And all the socializing. If she was so "poor", why didn't she have some kind of JOB that she went to every day?

I hate that she characterizes herself that way. From what I can tell of her life story, from her, she has NEVER been poor. Has she ever had a "normal" job, working for someone else? (Not a reality show star or an entrepreneur--probably with someone else's capital, iminimal though it may have been--but a job in which she had to come in every day and take directions from someone else? And, no, a little acting part doesn't count. Or being a teenage babysitter for Paris Hilton)

Edited by Kali12, Apr 11, 2012 @ 2:34 PM.

Tafatia

Tafatia

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 2:58 PM

If she was "poor" before RHoNY, how did she afford her nice lifestyle

Men and the wolves.

Edited by Tafatia, Apr 11, 2012 @ 2:59 PM.