Bethenny Ever After: Still Waiting for the Happily

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

7545 replies to this topic

andme

andme

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2011 @ 7:46 PM

And what's with Bethenny's obsession to show her underwear?

Crimson Fire

Crimson Fire

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 22, 2011 @ 7:49 PM

And what's with Bethenny's obsession to show her underwear?

And her nakedness, or semi nakedness, anyway.

And peeing.....and pooping......and......

Lisette

Lisette

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2011 @ 7:51 PM

If Bethenny was traumatized by her mother's alcoholism, it's rather bizarre that she has made alcohol her livelihood.

Fascinating point, Baker Street. I wish her therapist would stop coddling her long enough to ask her something like that. And about related eating disorder, fashion, and control-issues. I'm sure B. is utterly different from her mother in major ways, but I wonder if she's ever thought about how similar she is in others.

As for Gina being asleep when B. came and picked up Bryn, it would not surprise me at all if Gina has no set work hours and, living in, is expected to be on call 24/7. This really surprises me as, when I had a baby nurse for my son her working hours were 8 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. (when I got home) and then she was free for the rest of the night. We weren't rich like B. but she also had her own room (with baby monitors there's no reason to have to sleep in the same room). It was still a long day.

I'd be really curious to read the job descriptions for Max, Gina and Julie. I'm guessing it's like, "Do what I want...whenever I tell you."

Oh, and bringing your employer's sexy underwear (underwear only, no clothing) as a donation to your church? I don't care how expensive and designer-label it was. Wearing Bethenny's cast-off underwear (even nighties), just.....ew.

farishta

farishta

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2011 @ 7:52 PM

that one person who is rude, belittling of others, more interested in saying something glib than something profound and insists her style is just "calling it like I see it"? That's B for me. She means well, she doesn't have a clue. She's the Becky Sharp of the 21st century and I am fascinated, lord help me. Although it's not quite like reading Thackeray . . . It's SkinnyGirl Thackeray!

Word, Miss Marple. I think these bravo reality shows might come close to the exp of reading those serialized novels of the 18th century-- in installments, as they need to be. But here it's as though Becky Sharpe was not just a character, but also the narrator, and not just the narrator, but the actual author as well, so there's no one in the picture to provide ironic, or critical, or any distance. And no one on the show can do it either.

btw the review you posted of the SG margarita was priceless.

"Say the cute little four-year-old down the block made a bowl of lemonade but instead of sugar used Splenda and instead of lemons used lemon flavoring and put it in a big bowl filled with ice and set it in the sun so all the ice melted and the "lemonade" got kind of hot and she got bored and went inside and a Labrador retriever came along and lapped some up and then stuck his head in the bowl and got the stuff all up in his nose and sneezed uncontrollably into the bowl for a while. That's what it tastes like. On ice."

I was thinking of why I prefer some of the other single-star focused bravo shows. Tabitha and even Patty have some expertise that is the focus, so it's not just their personality. The flipping show with Jeff is an example of a star who is just as neurotic as Bethenny is, and who can be just as obnoxious to others when he's in a certain mood, except that those other people get to call him out. Here no one ever calls Bethenny out, at least in a way that can register for her. If anyone tries, eg Jason when he's goaded to it, she talks over him, or cries, or says, well, that's just the way I am, and that's it.

I watch about one to two scenes per show and have seen a total of about 30 minutes over the three episodes. But it's enough to follow this thread, which is the part I enjoy.

Edited by farishta, Mar 22, 2011 @ 8:09 PM.

Sincerely yours

Sincerely yours

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2011 @ 7:58 PM

Oh, and bringing your employer's sexy underwear (underwear only, no clothing) as a donation to your church? I don't care how expensive and designer-label it was. Wearing Bethenny's cast-off underwear (even nighties), just.....ew.

I know right. What the hell was that? I don't understand is it common practice to donate even underwear?? I can maybe get on board with the nightie or tops and only to maybe friends or family that would let me know that they have no qualms about it but underwear? Ewwwww.

athousandclowns

athousandclowns

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2011 @ 8:18 PM

I guess it pains me to see such a close loving family be criticized of their closeness because their closeness takes Bethenny out of her comfort zone. I think it's safe to say that the Hoppy's should show support and have patience but I don't think they should have to change who they are in order to keep Bethenny comfortable. I also think that Bethenny's upbringing makes Jason's upbringing seem that much more extreme and therefore maybe slightly over the top but in all actuality they just seem like an awesomely loving family. The stuff saps are made of. LOL!

They really seem like they are the best a daughter in law could ask for in in laws. Jason and his parents seem like they do not have a mean bone in thier bodies. Someone refresh my memory at what age did Jason's brother die? How would the dynamic work if Bethany did have a family because it is usually the grooms family that gets the shaft visit, holiday wise. So every other weekend with Jason family and every other with hers? Seems excessive. I am just thinking that perhaps it is odd for a single guy living and working in New York to drive to see his parents how often? Every weekend before Bethany? Did he go hang out with his buddys, have his laundry done and eat home cooked meals?
mr.clowns#1 was from a close Italian family where all the brothers and wives and kids went to the in laws EVERY Sunday, it was a given. Expected. They lived 6 blocks away. I was in my 20's and thrilled when some relatlive would hold my baby so I could eat a bite. That was another era and so many people live far from their families and have really busy lives. You can tell looking at Jason he does not want to hurt his parents in any way but the fact is he does have his own family now. Maybe he feels he has to fill that gap his brother left. My newly married son lives the same distance Jason's parents live and work long hours during the week and I would never expect them to drive every other weekend to see us. Now if they have a baby I am going to pitch a tent in their backyard though.

MissMarple

MissMarple

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 22, 2011 @ 8:45 PM

I found myself wondering if I have been hypocritical in criticizing Bethenny's tactlessness here while being less than kind myself. As someone who is drawn to reality shows, I can't bust someone just for being the star of a reality show. That said, I think I would be able to say almost anything I had written here to her face. I've avoided ad hominem attacks and, I hope, mind-reading. Still, I feel obligated to say what I don't dislike about the show.

I root for their marriage. Divorce is awful; I wouldn't wish it on anyone. And it's tough for any couple to have an unplanned pregnancy rush them into marriage, no matter how thrilled they are, or how in love they are. They lost some valuable just-us time. I want to believe -- and have no reason not to believe -- that their feelings for each other are genuine.

I don't think she's evil. But she's really drunk the Kool-Aid. Back in the day, Pat Loud, on the original American Family on PBS, was quite clear after the fact about how producers manipulated her. For example, they convinced her that she must ask for a divorce on camera because it was "honest." I think her son, Lance, was outed under the same rationale, which was no small thing back in the '70s. So I think that Bethenny is very much a Frankenstein monster created by the producers. They have encouraged her to let it all hang out, say whatever she wants to say about others -- and, so far, she has been rewarded for it, the only Brave "housewife" to get a spin-off. It is logical for her to play up the facets of her personality that have been rewarded (by Bravo and, subsequently, others). She is, by her own admission, playing the short game. Who knows what the long game will be?

I do think this show could be improved enormously if she really did have a driving vocational goal that was more than Capitalize on My Fame Now! She is intelligent -- despite the occasional "between Jason and I" -- yet seems to nibble around the edges of self-knowledge much in the same way she tastes everything, eats nothing. In terms of her psyche, I think Bethenny would benefit from eating the whole enchilada.

Edited by MissMarple, Mar 22, 2011 @ 9:34 PM.

pinkygomez

pinkygomez

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 22, 2011 @ 10:37 PM

I am done w/ Bethenny. Just had to turn the show off after Bethenny and Jason's terrible, disrespectful, shameful behavior in that church. How incredibly tacky and rude was that? Why agree when you know you won't be comfortable? When you don't want to be in the trashy, ghetto neighborhood to begin with (Bethenny's description, not mine), when you don't know what the ceremony will be like or what it means? I love how Bethenny just let the baby be yanked out of her arms, but had to rush her the hell out of the church if her eternal soul might be compromised by being "baptized" in a black, Trinidadian, Baptist, whatever church. So, Gina is good enough to live in your house and care for your baby (even though you are perfectly capable of caring for your baby yourself without live-in help - notice how Bethenny and Jason are always at home sitting around in their pjs while Gina is also there, pooing or whatever, in their closet of an apt), but you have to literally run out of her church in a ridiculious dramatic scene the second you are "uncomfortable" with what is happening. Bethenny doesn't even want Jason's parents to be w/ Brynn on holidays!! But, they need to be there for Brynn's "baptism." (Like i believe these people are religious) Those two are unreal. He is just as bad as she is and go figure - he married the nasty, loud-mouthed, anorexic hag. They whore themselves and their child on TV, humiliate his perfectly nice parents to further their whoring, hire their friends, disrespect their hired friends on tv, and then expect us to watch it?? And buy books with her ugly mug on the cover? That woman shills her shit every hour on Facebook - I had to "unlike" her, I was so sick of her ads for her crappy drinks and books clogging up my newsfeed. I remember reading one of her books w/ an officemate who had bought the book a couple years ago and being horrified by it - the book literally advocates eating little to nothing (bites of food) and saving up our calories for liquor. Bethenny's not attractive, she's not funny, she's not smart, and she's not even nice. She's disrespectful, mean, abrasive, and doesn't even have a pretty face to take the attention off all those negatives. Her husband is a dolt. He has as much intelligence as one of her bolt-on tit implants. He could be hired too, for all we know. I am interested to see if we ever hear of Bethenny again in 20 years and if so, what Bryn thinks of her mother. I'm done.

Edited by pinkygomez, Mar 22, 2011 @ 10:40 PM.

Are You Serious

Are You Serious

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 22, 2011 @ 10:37 PM

In her sessions whenever it's brought up she just seems to be all over the place regarding her recollection of things. I just feel like Bethenny is always trying to figure out herself why she feels the way she does about her mom. If it stems from all of the toxic incidents that went on in her house then she really has to come to terms with the fact that people with addictions don't automatically translate into mothers that had no love for their children cause they weren't able to beat an addiction and thus confirming their lack of love for their child. It doesn't go like that and from the one article it doesn't look like anyone tried to get her mother any help anyway so. I find it hard to condemn Bethenny's mom as the worse mother on the face of the earth. Hell back in those days no body really paid any mind to post pardon depression, or had determined alcoholism as a disease so there really was no tolerance and I think we are seeing the result of the mind frame from back then in Bethenny's point of view. It seems more and more obvious that her mother was considered a pretty shameful parent from others and I have no doubt that this is also what has formed Bethenny's opinion of how much of a failure her mother was.

This completely hits home for me. I think this is why I'm not too judgmental about her parents because even though it was unfortunate for Bethenny to grow up this way I can't see it as deliberate abuse. To me it seems to be more of a sad situation for all involved and not just Bethenny. Very sad really. Its also sad to see how lost she is during her sessions. It's like she really doesn't have a clue which honestly I find pretty hard to believe.

WitsNSass

WitsNSass

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2011 @ 11:57 PM

Just had to turn the show off after Bethenny and Jason's terrible, disrespectful, shameful behavior in that church. How incredibly tacky and rude was that? Why agree when you know you won't be comfortable? When you don't want to be in the trashy, ghetto neighborhood to begin with (Bethenny's description, not mine), when you don't know what the ceremony will be like or what it means? I love how Bethenny just let the baby be yanked out of her arms, but had to rush her the hell out of the church if her eternal soul might be compromised by being "baptized" in a black, Trinidadian, Baptist, whatever church. So, Gina is good enough to live in your house and care for your baby (even though you are perfectly capable of caring for your baby yourself without live-in help - notice how Bethenny and Jason are always at home sitting around in their pjs while Gina is also there, pooing or whatever, in their closet of an apt), but you have to literally run out of her church in a ridiculious dramatic scene the second you are "uncomfortable" with what is happening.

I think whole debacle was set up as some kind funny-haha scenario, but then it backfired because Bethenny bit off more than she could chew with some shit she was not aware of. Namely, the traditions of Gina's church. I think this show is not totally scripted, but that scenarios are created; while the reactions are pre-planned , they aren't hard-scripted which allows for some level of improv to make this shit look remotely "real". I don't think Gina is "creepy" or "suspect" at all. I think she's playing a role as the kooky baby nurse from the islands, but badly, because she's not an actor. Gina was hired by Bethenny on the recommendation of a blonde friend with the bolt-ons who had a son while Bethenny was pregnant. Do you really think this woman would have recommended Gina if she was some freeloading creeper? Bethenny is way too much of a control freak for that shit. Gina is running that household about as much as I run the fucking NASDAQ. We saw none of this version of Gina on BGM. Gina was very hands on with Bryn and Bethenny during the first season, helping Bethenny maintain a solid schedule for Bryn's napping and feedings. From the previous episode, I think Gina was sleeping because Bryn was still sleeping - not because she was being a lazy lie-about. Bethenny usually holds Bryn facing away from her (which I heard is fine since it allows the baby to see more things around her), but that morning she put Bryn in the baby front-pack harness thingy (what is that called?) with Bryn facing Bethenny. I think she did that because Bryn was still sleepy (because, really, this kid has been all over this show, so I'm not buying that this was to avoid paparazzi). From what I've seen, Gina seems to have genuine affection for Bryn. She cradles Bryn's head, and on her birthday, she kissed the baby's forehead. So I do not believe for a second that this lady is holding the Frankel/Hoppys hostage in their own home, nor do I believe that she's nothing other than a baby nurse who did her job as required by her employer and the job term is approaching it's end on schedule. I think Bethenny's attempt to show how much Gina helped them (and was invaluable) by snarkily suggesting Gina runs the house appears to have fallen flat because the edit is too severe. I think Bethenny might want to include some Gina edits when she retouches these episodes, because the portrayal of Gina as some Hoodoo/Voodoo lazy woman lording over her employer is bordering on offensive, IMO

But, of course, YMMV.

Edited by WitsNSass, Mar 23, 2011 @ 12:02 AM.

andme

andme

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2011 @ 12:28 AM

I wonder if the blonde who recommended Gina had her baby blessed in Gina's church?

pinkygomez

pinkygomez

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 23, 2011 @ 1:07 AM

I wonder if the blonde who recommended Gina had her baby blessed in Gina's church?

If I hadnt seen that blonde preg, I'd swear she was a tranny, so anything's possible.

crazyirishlady

crazyirishlady

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 23, 2011 @ 1:48 AM

If Brynn was baptized at Gina's church does that mean that she couldn't ever be baptized at the Catholic church?

I am Catholic and I know that once you are baptized no matter what the faith you cannot be re-baptized as a Catholic. You can convert, which happens when you are older, by having First Communion and being Confirmed (which is a re-affermation of your baptizimal vows usually done in Junior High ot High School). In adults conversion is a rather long process that starts each year on the first Sunday of Advent (4th Sunday before Christmas) and concludes with the ceremony on Easter Saturday (a very loooong service the night before Easter). Catholics believe in baptizing very young babies, usually before 6 months old because of the thought of original sin and that you cannot go to heaven unless baptized (there is a theory of baptism by desire, which means if you intended to baptize the baby, but it died before that could happen, then the baby is considered baptized, but most teaching say that we really don't know what happens, we just entrust them to God's care), that is why you have confirmation later in life to confirm those baptism vows.

Also, it depends on what your diocese rules are for godparents. The diocese where both my daughters were baptised said that BOTH godparents had to be Catholic, so my brother-in-law couldn't be the godfather, we had to have my sister and a friend be the god-parents.

Edited by crazyirishlady, Mar 23, 2011 @ 2:05 AM.

PB princess

PB princess

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 23, 2011 @ 6:16 AM

Maybe I’ve been misled all my life but I thought a god parent was someone that took over raising the child should both parents be killed or other wise unable to care for the child. I will say that the scene between Julie and Beth did bring a tear to my eye. I admit I’m a sap for things like that.

You are thinking of a legal guardian, a person named in your will that will take responsibility for your children if you die. A god parent promises to assist in raising the child in the church as a Christian. Neither Julie or Bethenney understand what the role of the god parent is and it kinda irked me.

Edited by PB princess, Mar 23, 2011 @ 6:18 AM.

lizzie100

lizzie100

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 23, 2011 @ 6:58 AM

I would hope that the grandparents would take care of Bryn if B and J died. I know my parents would take my child or my sister. Since neither of them have siblings a close relative would be better than a friend. I assume they would put that in their will. My god I would hate to be in the room when J and B have the fight over who would care for Bryn. It's gonna be ugly. Wonder if that will make an episode.

Cammyd

Cammyd

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 23, 2011 @ 8:01 AM

My god I would hate to be in the room when J and B have the fight over who would care for Bryn. It's gonna be ugly.

I doubt it. Has Jason won any arguments? Does he even argue? As soon as Bethenny goes into hyper mode, he starts agreeing with her to calm her down.

I don't usually compliment Bethenny but I think she did the right thing in taking her baby out of that church if she was feeling uncomfortable. Watching a baby being passed from one stranger to another would not sit well with me either. And Jason just standing there, doing nothing was pathetic. He just stood there like a big oaf. I know he felt bad afterwards, but Bethenny nailed him when she said he was a people pleaser.

I just don't care for Jason. He is such a milquetoast. I can imagine him saying one thing to his parents to pacify them, and another thing to Bethenny.

I know we only saw a small part of the baptism and dinner but I hope that Jason's parents were able to hold the baby for a while. If Julie sees the baby every day, it would only be fair.

So if Bethenny is re-editing these shows, we know she'll come out looking better but someone has to look worse. My guess is Jason's family.

His sassy kitte

His sassy kitte

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 23, 2011 @ 9:44 AM

Let me add one more bit to the whole baptism ordeal/question.

As a practicing Catholic and teacher, the above posts are correct but I just wanted to clarify one bit. If a child is baptized in any recognized Christian religion, then the baptism is recognized by the Catholic church. We usually don't "re-baptize" someone if that has ocurred, because the Church believes that baptism signifies us all as "Christians", not just Catholics, Baptists, etc. Most people who convert to Catholicism go through RCIC or RCIA and if they are coming from another Christian religion, they are usually not baptized again for those reasons. Of course there are always exceptions to this rule, but they are just that...exceptions.

I didn't see the show, I have to watch it tonight. I recorded it, so I'll have to see for myself if it's as bad as everyone says. I thought B was re-editing everything? If so, I'm assuming it didn't happen with the most recent show?

Lisette

Lisette

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2011 @ 10:30 AM

The scene in Gina's church (and subsequent information about what it means re: baptism and Catholicism) has been the most interesting thing in this show for me. But it seemed like a painful event--and extremely embarrassing for Jason in particular. I'm surprised B. wouldn't tell them to edit it all out so as not to cause Jason (and possibly Gina, too) embarrassment (and, possibly, his family to freak out when they saw it).

Would everyone watching it (priest, Bob and Carol, godparents, etc.) accept Gina's explanation that it was just a "blessing"? It sure looked like a "stealth baptism" to my (untrained) eyes.

Bryn is not a beautiful baby, but she's very cute and seems to already be showing a cute, good-natured personality. (Bethenny probably isn't too happy about it, but she looks a lot like Carol). Everyone around B. is so darned easy-going--even her baby! She has no idea how lucky she is in that.

Are You Serious

Are You Serious

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 23, 2011 @ 10:34 AM

Maybe Iíve been misled all my life but I thought a god parent was someone that took over raising the child should both parents be killed or other wise unable to care for the child. I will say that the scene between Julie and Beth did bring a tear to my eye. I admit Iím a sap for things like that.

You are thinking of a legal guardian, a person named in your will that will take responsibility for your children if you die. A god parent promises to assist in raising the child in the church as a Christian. Neither Julie or Bethenney understand what the role of the god parent is and it kinda irked me.

I have to say that some people do consider godparents as not only the person in charge of the child's religious education (however the parents usually have a big role as well of course) but in fact the person they would like to have guardianship of their child should something happen. Of course legally being the godparent doesn't automatically give you guardianship so if a couple wants their childs godparent to become guardians then they would need to make that desire official in their wills and legal documents.

TFJessie

TFJessie

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 23, 2011 @ 11:54 AM

Good for her!

The "Bethenny Ever After" star recently announced she has sold her Skinnygirl low-calorie margarita brand to Fortune Brands inc! Fortune Brands Inc., plans to increase its distribution and expand the brand to additional cocktails, including a white sangria.

"To us, this is the beginning of what we hope will be a very big category," Beam executive Bill Newlands told The Wall Street Journal. "We think [Skinnygirl] is a tremendous platform to put other premium, convenient, low-calorie products on the market."

grammafan

grammafan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2011 @ 12:33 PM

I am done w/ Bethenny. Just had to turn the show off after Bethenny and Jason's terrible, disrespectful, shameful behavior in that church. How incredibly tacky and rude was that? Why agree when you know you won't be comfortable? When you don't want to be in the trashy, ghetto neighborhood to begin with (Bethenny's description, not mine), when you don't know what the ceremony will be like or what it means? I love how Bethenny just let the baby be yanked out of her arms, but had to rush her the hell out of the church if her eternal soul might be compromised by being "baptized" in a black, Trinidadian, Baptist, whatever church. So, Gina is good enough to live in your house and care for your baby (even though you are perfectly capable of caring for your baby yourself without live-in help - notice how Bethenny and Jason are always at home sitting around in their pjs while Gina is also there, pooing or whatever, in their closet of an apt), but you have to literally run out of her church in a ridiculious dramatic scene the second you are "uncomfortable" with what is happening. Bethenny doesn't even want Jason's parents to be w/ Brynn on holidays!! But, they need to be there for Brynn's "baptism." (Like i believe these people are religious) Those two are unreal. He is just as bad as she is and go figure - he married the nasty, loud-mouthed, anorexic hag. They whore themselves and their child on TV, humiliate his perfectly nice parents to further their whoring, hire their friends, disrespect their hired friends on tv, and then expect us to watch it?? And buy books with her ugly mug on the cover? That woman shills her shit every hour on Facebook - I had to "unlike" her, I was so sick of her ads for her crappy drinks and books clogging up my newsfeed. I remember reading one of her books w/ an officemate who had bought the book a couple years ago and being horrified by it - the book literally advocates eating little to nothing (bites of food) and saving up our calories for liquor. Bethenny's not attractive, she's not funny, she's not smart, and she's not even nice. She's disrespectful, mean, abrasive, and doesn't even have a pretty face to take the attention off all those negatives. Her husband is a dolt. He has as much intelligence as one of her bolt-on tit implants. He could be hired too, for all we know. I am interested to see if we ever hear of Bethenny again in 20 years and if so, what Bryn thinks of her mother. I'm done.

pinkygomez, sounds like you are as disenchanted as I am.

One last thought. I think that Bethanny is surrounded by yes people, people who are profiting off her behavior, and supporting and encouraging it for that reason alone. It would seem true that she has no real friends, because a real friend would point out, at the very least, the way Bethanny's behavior could be perceived by the viewer, whether due to true depictions or "editing." I think that Bethanny is so self enchanted by this time that she is probably truly shocked by any negative comments she may come across from the viewing public. The problem is that if she senses that (for instance) the "not-baptism" was ill received, or viewed in a negative way, and she tries to correct it by her behavior in the next filming, she is always chasing the boat. Either that or her syncophants can convince her of the inferiority and stupidity of the viewing public, I guess.

Also, with all her complaining about not being loved in her childhood, and using that as a reason for her behavior, well, she has supplied her very young daughter with a shitload of excuses for any future ill behavior. I mean honestly, how would you feel if the viewing public saw your mother: 1. flashing the "conception panties" 2. being an absolutely atrocious person to your grandparents 3. disrespecting your father 4. patronizing and mocking a young man who appears to be different 5. obsessing over weight and appearance (especially with a history of an eating disorder) 6. talking with her mouth full (sorry, that last one is just a pet peeve of mine, probably won't mess up anyone's child).

I personally feel that Bethanny has not one iota of introspection. Thus her seemingly useles, unguided converstations with the therapist who tried so hard to dump her. I think I remember that some people who appear to have massive egos are actually feeling inferior and compensating. i think Bethanny really does think she is all that. Truly. there is no humble there. At all. And no niceness without an agenda.

Edited by grammafan, Mar 23, 2011 @ 12:35 PM.

Portae

Portae

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 23, 2011 @ 1:07 PM

One last thought. I think that Bethanny is surrounded by yes people, people who are profiting off her behavior, and supporting and encouraging it for that reason alone. It would seem true that she has no real friends, because a real friend would point out, at the very least, the way Bethanny's behavior could be perceived by the viewer, whether due to true depictions or "editing."

THIS. Say what you will about Jill Zarin, but at least she seemed willing to call Bethenny on her crap. I always thought that questioning the productivity of Bethenny running away to Miami during a fight with Jason #1 was an example of someone being a good friend while not cosigning Bethenny's craziness.

gingerella 000

gingerella 000

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 23, 2011 @ 1:25 PM

Yeah, when this show was initially premiering - the last season I mean - I remember thinking that Bethanny was coming off the "winner" in the Bethanny vs. Jill Zarin feud. B got her own spin off and Jill had to remain within the confines of a reality ensemble. But now? As Bravo always seems to do, they take someone who the viewers like/enjoy, and manage to spin them into a monster of sorts. B now comes off as a narcissistic, rude bitch. I cannot believe I'm saying this but she makes me think that it was maybe more her than Jill that broke their friendship. B's just a monster now. It's unreal.

freckledbruh

freckledbruh

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 23, 2011 @ 1:39 PM

B's just a monster now. It's unreal.

Ok, I know it's a ymmv thing and all, but I find that statement a little (ok a lot) overreaching. Hitler is a monster. Sassan Hussein is a monster. A pedophile is a monster. Some woman with a reality show needs to be doing something more than talking with her mouth full to be considered a monster. It's not like she bought a building filled with elderly folks, tripled their rent and turned off the heat. But. . . But she made snarky remarks at other people's expense! Yeah so. I do that all the time (on here of all places!).

Lisette

Lisette

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2011 @ 1:42 PM

Miss Marple
I think that Bethenny is very much a Frankenstein monster created by the producers.

This is an interesting idea (and one I think Bethenny would be wise to use in the future). But from what I've seen of Bethenny I think she's too egotistical for that to be the reason for what we've been seeing.

I think she's SUCH an exhibitionist that the producers would probably have to tone her down some of the time. I mean, not only posing naked for PETA but having that huge print of her naked ass on display in pubic areas of her home (not caring if people were embarrassed, like Max--in fact, enjoying his awkwardness. She thinks she's just so hot and irresistible that she likes to tease it!)

And peeing on the stick with the bathroom door open? I have a feeling producers might have tried to dissuade her from that one ("You know, you can pee in a cup and we can show you pouring it on the stick" or "We can see you go into the bathroom then cut to the results". But, no. She made it clear on WWHL that she wanted to do that.) I -do- agree about the Frankenstein monster, part, but I think she's both Frankenstein and the monster.

It would seem true that she has no real friends, because a real friend would point out, at the very least, the way Bethanny's behavior could be perceived by the viewer,

I think we've seen Jason give her constructive advice several times, but she shuts it down with that screechy voice--I'd quit, too, after a few times of that. Because she clearly doesn't -want- any constructive criticism/suggestions. She knows it all and if you disagree...you're wrong and she's mad about it. That's especially tough in a marriage.

I think that Bethanny is so self enchanted by this time that she is probably truly shocked by any negative comments she may come across from the viewing public. ...I personally feel that Bethanny has not one iota of introspection. Thus her seemingly useles, unguided converstations with the therapist who tried so hard to dump her.

ITA with this. Which is why the therapist probably tried to dump her. She's not making any progress because she's just using on-camera "therapy" to (1) try to manipulate public sympathy, (2) spin her story (in case THs don't cover it all), and (3) keep the narrative in everyone's mind that she had a terrible childhood that should excuse all wrong doing in the present.

Would she ever bring Jason and have marriage counseling? No way! She likes the inequality of being the "boss/employer" of her "therapist". He's never going to challenge her story about herself and her awesomeness.

ish

ish

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2011 @ 1:45 PM

MissMarple I was but a young and very naive teen when the Loud family was on TV, Lance Loud didn't need to be outed on TV, it was pretty obvious. LOL

If Jason really felt a need to make his parents happy and fulfill their lives after his brother's death, I think he might have married and had a child much earlier. Waiting til 40 tells me he didn't feel any overwhelming pressure from them to reproduce. If mama was putting the screws to him for a grandchild, I imagine he might not have been so content to visit every other weekend if he were going to be nagged about it.

Are You Serious

Are You Serious

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 23, 2011 @ 1:46 PM

THIS. Say what you will about Jill Zarin, but at least she seemed willing to call Bethenny on her crap. I always thought that questioning the productivity of Bethenny running away to Miami during a fight with Jason #1 was an example of someone being a good friend while not cosigning Bethenny's craziness.

I always saw Jill as that person that really forces reality on you and doesn't have that insight to back off when the truth is just too much for the person to drink in. She did it with Kelly and discussing the confusion about what her photoshoot really was about. Jill doesn't let it go in the name of filling you in and trying to open your eyes and when she did that with Bethenny I saw Bethenny get a little catty regarding the fact that Jill point blank called her on her contradictions. Bethenny tried so hard to explain how it was a good decision to get away even though is was just Bethenny being out of her comfort zone with the situation. Jill actually looks regretful when she's called on her abruptness. Bethenny just comes up with reasons and excuses for why she acted in such a manner. Her apologies within explanations always come across as desperate needs for others to understand where she's coming from as opposed to just a straight up apology with true regret. I don't think I've even heard a sincere apology from her about anything that wasn't peppered with a million and one reason's and explanations that went with it.

I would love to see Bethenny apologize sincerely without it being laced with some sort of justification for the behavior. Those sort of apologies to me feel like those insincere "I'm sorry if YOU took it the wrong way" apologies.

Edited by Are You Serious, Mar 23, 2011 @ 1:47 PM.

MissMarple

MissMarple

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 23, 2011 @ 2:36 PM

I think that Bethanny is surrounded by yes people

She does come from a place of yes, so that makes sense, no?

LeDucDiableBleu

LeDucDiableBleu

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 23, 2011 @ 3:15 PM

I would love to see Bethenny apologize sincerely without it being laced with some sort of justification for the behavior. Those sort of apologies to me feel like those insincere "I'm sorry if YOU took it the wrong way" apologies.

I think she did apologize for real to Jill on RHNY at Ramona's apartment. She tearfully and genuinely, IMO, said she never wanted to hurt Jill and was sorry she did. The only problem was it was a surprise and Jill was offended at that - she took it as an attack. But I think the only reason she surprised her there was because Jill wasn't meeting with B or taking her calls, so the only way B could approach her was by surprise, and it was coordinated by Ramona. Jill got mad, said she didn't have her list of offenses on her, and LuAnn hustled her out. That was that.

farishta

farishta

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 23, 2011 @ 3:24 PM

I remember that apology, and I really liked Bethenny for making it. I liked her very much that entire season. For her to be likeable on this show, she needs someone like Jill or Kelly as a foil--or if not an antagonist, someone who can counter her. It would also help if she had a real friend on the show, someone who could disagree with her and mean it. She has her shrink and Gina, and various others, none of who can really stand up to her, and it's done her in as far as I am concerned. But hen as others have speculated, maybe she doesn't have friends at all, but only yeswomen.

I wonder if the psychiatrist gained or lost clients because of being on the show. He's not impressive.

Edited by farishta, Mar 23, 2011 @ 3:45 PM.