Bethenny Ever After: Still Waiting for the Happily

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

7545 replies to this topic

BravesChick2001

BravesChick2001

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 11, 2010 @ 12:23 AM

I did several searches here on the forum for this show and didn't find a thing, so I hope it's okay to start a new thread for the show. Frankly, I'm surprised a topic hasn't been started already (unless I'm completely missing something here). Did anyone watch the premiere tonight or was I the only one?

I have to admit that I have been a big fan of Bethenny since day one of "The Real Housewives of New York." It's probably because we share a similar sense of humor, and I can easily see myself hanging out with [someone like] her. She can be a lot to take for some people, I'm sure, but maybe it's the native New Yorker/Long Islander in me who can laugh along with her witty and sometimes biting sarcasm.

A couple of moments I enjoyed in tonight's premiere episode: The Bethenny vs. Jason Cookie conundrum - it was so cute the way Cookie looked so torn as to who to pick, and the Napoleon Dynamite interview. Of course, I chuckled at several other moments in the show, but those two stood out in my mind (and after such a long day, that's all I can remember at this hour).

I'm surprised at how different Jason and Bethenny's personalities are. I really hope the differences aren't too great in the long run and that they truly make it. Jason seems really down-to-earth and like an awesome catch, so Bethenny better treasure that and not end up pushing him away with her lifetime of fucked up issues. (Why can't I find a Jason of my own, damnit?!)

Edited by BravesChick2001, Jun 11, 2010 @ 12:30 AM.

joa58

joa58

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 11, 2010 @ 12:33 AM

Glad you started this thread. I was a fan, now not so much, but I thought I would watch tonight. It is painfully obvious that these two are not a great match.

and...I did like the show, but left the room when mean girl Alex and slime doggy Simon appeared. I had to wipe the grease off my TV screen after they appeared. If those nasty posers show their faces again, I'll stop watching.

swankie

swankie

Stalker

Posted Jun 11, 2010 @ 12:41 AM

I also watched the premiere. I have found myself always pulling for Bethenny even at the times I thought she was dead wrong in her dealings with the other housewives. I'm not from New York or anything, but I also get her. Her biting sarcasm isn't lost on me because I totally understand it. She is who she is and you take her as she is. As much as she and the person I won't mention because she's not on the show didn't get along this season, I think she, more than any of the other unmentionables, got Bethenny too. I love how even when she and Jason disagree, they end each mini argument with a kiss. I hope the lights, cameras and such don't become too much for Jason in the longrun. I hope they stay together for a long, long time because Bethenny seems like she hasn't known enough love in her life. Her dog is adorable and I just hope she's not going to be jealous of the baby. Judging by this show and the previews, Cookie is very territorial when it comes to Bethenny.

adevegas

adevegas

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 11, 2010 @ 12:46 AM

I actually enjoyed it a lot. I wasn't expecting too even though I love bethenny.

They are very different but I can totally relate to he houseguest argument. My hubby is exactly like Jason and I agree with her. Why would his friends stay there if he wasn't even going to be there? I wouldn't like that either.

Sylex are better on housewives, they did not fit and seemed like season one Alex and Simon all over again. And simons face is creeping me out, bloated and slimy.

I can see how she can grate but I am in for the whole season. I enjoy watching them. And on a shallow note, he is yummy to look at!

Edited by adevegas, Jun 11, 2010 @ 12:49 AM.

beezer

beezer

Stalker

Posted Jun 11, 2010 @ 1:01 AM

I love how even when she and Jason disagree, they end each mini argument with a kiss. I hope the lights, cameras and such don't become too much for Jason in the longrun. I hope they stay together for a long, long time

The show made me wonder if the entire relationship was just for publicity/famewhoring purposes on both their parts because man, do they seem deeply incompatible on several levels and the 'ends' to their 'arguments' were very odd to me.

That thing about his friends coming over - I feel much the way she does and yet I thought she was totally in the wrong because, as he pointed out more than once, it's not her house, it's their house. If it's normal for him to have friends and family over a lot then she should have maybe considered that, discussed it, come to some agreement about it (be it times, boundaries, one capitulating, whatever) before moving in with him - because I don't see how she can expect him to just not do that, which, despite her 'we have to come to an agreement' seemed what she wanted.

And they have these arguments over what are real issues that aren't going away - if he's very sociable and likes people over and she isn't and doesn't, that's not so easily resolvable to me - and they just seem to abruptly be all 'oh well, I luuurve you! *kiss*' Like, what?

I give 'em a year, until 'Bethany Braves the Single Life!' debuts and he shows up on the Bachelorette.

Edited by beezer, Jun 11, 2010 @ 1:10 AM.

postitbreakup

postitbreakup

Posted Jun 11, 2010 @ 1:56 AM

I give 'em a year, until 'Bethany Braves the Single Life!' debuts and he shows up on the Bachelorette.

I like this idea a lot. We get a year of this show, then a year of 'Bethenny Getting Divorced?!,' then 'Bethenny Getting Laid!' or whatever, and then 'Bethenny Getting Remarried?' and the cycle will go again.

I know I will end up watching this show because I am Bravo's bitch, but I couldn't sit through more than a few minutes of it tonight after watching the Housewives marathon and then the reunion and then seeing her on Watch What Happens. Just way over-saturated.

Even in the few minutes I saw, though, Jason put me to sleep. I get that someone like Bethenny needs someone stable, but I watch these shows for the craziness/catfighting, and if her series doesn't have that . . .

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted Jun 11, 2010 @ 5:43 AM

I've always liked Bethenny but didn't think she'd be interesting enough to carry her own show, so I didn't watch. However, I know me and if I happen to come across it in a rerun I'll check it out, at least once.

Tiffers4885

Tiffers4885

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 11, 2010 @ 5:52 AM

Overall I thought the show was pretty good. It was refreshing to not see constant fighting or any drama. However, the episode did seem to just drag on and on and on. I get it Bethenny, you're a lady with a baby. You're pregnant. You're with child. You are going to be a pregnant bride. I didn't think it was necessary for the constant reminder that she is inseminated. It almost seemed like she wanted to be sure that we know she isn't fat, she's just knocked up! She's still a SkinnyGirl, don't let that belly fool you! Dumb.

Did anyone else notice that one of Jason's front teeth looks dead? Like it turned gray, then he bleached it and it turned yellow. I suppose it doesn't matter, but I found it distracting.

njcritgirl

njcritgirl

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 11, 2010 @ 6:39 AM

Bethany & her sarcasm finally got her what she set out for so many years ago.

Started out wanting to be an actress in the '90s. No luck.

Tried TV with M.S. Apprentice. She lost.

Knows horse racing (thanks to her step father) so became a sports commentator. She spoke on 2 races.

It's no fun just being a chef/cook when you're a famewhore.

Finally found her fame in reality TV (the lowest form of entertainment IMO) thanks to another (out)cast member, which gave her the opportunity to launch her cooking books & brand herself.

Put down her bio father every chance she got. Going for the sympathy sect of viewers. Tried to backtrack when he died. (I don't blame him for not wanting to see her on his deathbed after all the nasty things she said about him.)

Not good enough since she had to share the spotlight on Housewives... lets see... how to get your own spin off? Get pregnant! Get married! Who cares if she's compatible with Jason II. It makes for good TV. Oh yes, and sh*t all over the people who helped you get where you are.

Form new alliances and of course pick fights with the women who won't be on the 'new' show. Alex & Ramona are now B's new best friends? Do they not remember all the snarky/nasty things she has said about them in the past?

She's a mommy now! With a baby nurse so she can continue her publicity campaign. Not much of a role model (bathing suit photo op 3 wks after the birth? That's healthy?) for new mothers who don't diet 2 months before birth. No wonder the baby was born early & underweight. Thank God she's (the baby) healthy.

I find Bethany a vicious publicity seeker who would do almost anything to get her 15 minutes to last.

I will not be watching her show.

Box305

Box305

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 11, 2010 @ 7:36 AM

Bethenny was slated to have her own show BEFORE she got pregnant and even involved seriously with Jason. They had to change the angle of the show once those things happened.

Oh and by the way I was born a month early and weighed even less than Brynn. Bethenny gained 35 lbs while she was pregnant. My mom only gained 20 lbs, was she a bad mom because she was so little when she gave birth to me?

Back to the show: I thought it was cute. I laughed out loud a few times at things that happened and that were said by Bethenny. And since I'm also Bravo's bitch I'll be watching it (along with everything else)

Edited by Box305, Jun 11, 2010 @ 7:41 AM.

Memphis05

Memphis05

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 11, 2010 @ 7:48 AM

Loved the show and I love Bethenny. She is by far my favorite housewife. I didn't like the tutu at the housewarming party so much, but thought it was nice that she went through with the party even though she really didn't want to. I like that she can sometimes be a loner, even though she has this huge empire.

Cammyd

Cammyd

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 11, 2010 @ 8:06 AM

This show was exhausting to watch! Bethanny really needs to chill.

I find their relationship odd. I know sometimes opposites attract, but it's more like Jason giving in to whatever Bethanny wants. But I can understand his giving in, otherwise he's hit with Bethanny's rapid-fire sarcasm/whining for hours on end. And Bethanny needs to stop talking about her family. We get it.....you were raised by wolves, you were raised in an asylum......whatever. Poor Bethanny. Move on. She kept talking about how her father's death was closure for her on RHNY, so I wish she would close her mouth about it and talk about it privately.

Yeah, I'm sure the ex-football player from Syracuse U. was the best candidate for the job.

She should also stop blaming all of her bitchiness, nastiness, whining, on being hormonal. It seems a big percentage of all that is actually her. What's her excuse now that she's had the baby?

DaniLaw

DaniLaw

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 11, 2010 @ 8:14 AM

I loved the show and loved Bethenny (although I used to not be a huge fan.) Even my hubby watched this one and laughed a lot. He usually runs, hides, covers his face/ears anytime I have anything HW related on...hates them. This show is refreshing. Bethenny is funny, smart, sarcastic, frantic and sad and allows us to see all of her emotions on the show. It won't be for everyone, but I for one loved this break from the usual soul-sucking reality drama of those HoWives!

Bethenny and Jason are adorable together and remind me of my husband and I. He's the more down to earth, "normal," anti-frenetic one and they are a great balance for each other. I love that he voices his own opinions despite the fact that she's completely opinionated and talks louder. He stands his ground, yet sweetly gives in to her many times because he loves her. She tries to do the same.

The parts with Cookie and Napolean Dynamite were really funny and the therapy session broke my heart. All in all, a very entertaining hour. Can't wait for next week.

Queen of Six

Queen of Six

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 11, 2010 @ 8:20 AM

I'm not sure I've ever heard Bethenny whine or seriously blame anything on being hormonal. Maybe I haven't been viewing closely enough.

I really enjoyed the show and will stick with it. It's a breath of fresh air after all the backbiting and unnecessary drama on RHoNY.

I loved Cookie, the Napoleon Dynamite interview and I do like the new assistant. I laughed out loud a few times - always a good sign.

bizee

bizee

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 11, 2010 @ 8:47 AM

I have an aversion to watching someone from one reality show going on to another (ie Jo and Slade, Jessee from WorkOut to Chef's of Hollywood, etc). It seems the ones I don't care for are the ones that get moved up to their own show. Anyhow, I'll watch something else, my dvr for summer shows already has a long list.

At least cable networks give us tv junkies something for summer now days.

nyclovinggirl

nyclovinggirl

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 11, 2010 @ 8:57 AM

Ok so I watched out of curiosity. I have always been a fan of Bethanny up until this past season of RHONYC. A whole hour of her grated on my nerves because honestly there isn't enough to carry a show in real life so we're presented with more Bravo inspired set ups such as the runway show. They did it for two of the children on NJ and Bethanny got her moment as well.

Her friend Lauren has such a manly face but it's nice that she and B can share their pregnancy together. I think she was on the first season of RH when B was with J1.

J2 seems like a very nice guy, who puts up with her neurotic self. If someone described themselves as damaged and tortured to me I might be inclined to run the other way. He seems to genuinely care for her and their Lucy and Ricky existance is cute. I hope it's long lasting.

I'll probably continue to watch because I'm a reality whore lol but not because I really like the show all that much.

I hated that Silex showed up and if they have a bigger presence on this show I will turn it off. I CANNOT stand those fake, slimy people.

Kittenrescue

Kittenrescue

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2010 @ 9:36 AM

I only caught the last 15 -20 minutes (by accident as I was surfing the channels) so I can't comment on most of the show.

I know opposites attract - and Bethenny could definitely benefit from having someone like Jason, but if they're fighting this much at the beginning of their relationship, I don't give them good odds for going the distance.

I see that Alex and Simon were back to their season one selves - so phony and ass-kissy. I remember when Bethenny said they'd crawl through a vent to get into a party. I wonder why that doesn't bother Alex more than Jill joking about Francois' leg-climbing incident?! I hope Alex and Ramona transition over to BGM and they're replaced on RHNY. I'm not buying the sudden Bethenny, Alex & Ramona lovefest. I'd give them two episodes before they're all tearing each other apart. (Loved it on the reunion show when that one viewer noted that Ramona's *renewal* was BS and that she hadn't actually changed, because I agreed with her.)

I haven't set the DVR to record this show because I don't think I could take a whole hour of Bethenny and her blatant issues.

Lopethina

Lopethina

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 11, 2010 @ 9:42 AM

I think it's fascinating, both on this board and on the RHoNY board, how people have such divergent views of Bethenny. I, for one, love her and completely identify with her.

I liked Jason on this show more than on RHoNY, but I, too, was a bit distressed by their seeming incompatibility. I thought Bethenny was being unreasonable and ungenerous in the fight about his friends staying at their place. On the one hand, she's smart enough to realize she's got a ton of baggage from her abusive past, and yet she doesn't put the pieces together in the moment of an argument to realize that maybe she's having an irrational reaction to something. Or maybe she just thinks, "This is the way I am (because of my abusive past), deal with it." Which isn't an attitude I like. I think you should admit to and work on your issues -- in this case, your lack of trust toward people not in your inner circle (i.e., not wanting Jason's friends to stay at their place).

Lisette

Lisette

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2010 @ 9:47 AM

The Bethenny vs. Jason Cookie conundrum - it was so cute the way Cookie looked so torn as to who to pick, and the Napoleon Dynamite interview.

That was cute and I also liked how Jason asked if Cookie liked the new assistant and seemed to have mixed feelings when the answer was "Yes". I also liked the fist-bumping with the new assistant (who I think is more "would-be actor" than "assistant". He's cute though--I think she'll have given him his "big start".

Jason seems really down-to-earth and like an awesome catch, so Bethenny better treasure that and not end up pushing him away with her lifetime of fucked up issues.

ITA. I was a little surprised how B. kept acting like "My favorite things? Good. Your favorite things? Bad." But it probably was just for tv and to allow Jason to get out a few zingers to show he's not a wimp.

As a divorcee at about their age, I can't understand why such a seemingly warm, caring, extremely family-oriented guy like Jason didn't get married much earlier. There aren't many 40 year old bachelors like him imo (I never met any), and two single people getting married for the first time at 40, comedic potential aside, really could be hard because you're so used to "my ways are best".

They (and Cookie) are very cute together, but I really am baffled why such a nice and good-looking athletic guy who seems to be so marriage-and-children-oriented, wouldn't have already been married at a much younger age.

rml24601

rml24601

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 11, 2010 @ 9:55 AM

Do we know anything about Jason's past, i.e. previous relationships/marriage/etc?

I thought it was interesting too how much Bethenny highlighted the differences between her & Jason- I hope in their case, opposites do attract and they make it.

strengththroughpeace

strengththroughpeace

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 11, 2010 @ 10:12 AM

No need to be baffled. If there is anything plainer and more obvious than Bethenny's bulimia-induced swollen glands, it's the fact that Jason is gay. I feel sorry for him because he's clearly so desperate to hide or deny it that he'll marry someone as hypocritical and high-strung as Bethenny. Watching her shrill about how "healthy" she is gives me the creeps. I recognize an eating disorder when I see one. She's totally in denial and her baby is only going to suffer for it (already has, in fact).

RuthlessBunny

RuthlessBunny

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 11, 2010 @ 10:13 AM

I really liked the show. I think it's nice to see Bethanney among people that she chooses to rub elbows with. I'm starting to see that the RHONY cast brings out the worst in her.

I really hope that she can bend a bit to accomodate Jason, I think that he could be good for her.

islandgal

islandgal

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2010 @ 10:30 AM

I see that Alex and Simon were back to their season one selves - so phony and ass-kissy. I remember when Bethenny said they'd crawl through a vent to get into a party. I wonder why that doesn't bother Alex more than Jill joking about Francois' leg-climbing incident?! I hope Alex and Ramona transition over to BGM and they're replaced on RHNY. I'm not buying the sudden Bethenny, Alex & Ramona lovefest. I'd give them two episodes before they're all tearing each other apart. (Loved it on the reunion show when that one viewer noted that Ramona's *renewal* was BS and that she hadn't actually changed, because I agreed with her.)

Thank You. I co-sign this statement. Alex and Simon are so far up Bethanny's ass that another 1/4 inch and we can officially call it a colo-rectal exam. I think they are still the social climbing opportunist they always were but are just smarter (and t/f more dangerous) about it. They read and studied the boards, saw they weren't being received well and adopted to fit. What Jill has said doesn't compare to the shit Alex's new best buds Beth & Ramona have said about her, her children, her husband, her house, her everything - most of which were true. I really wish someone would cram an apple in that horse headed woman's mouth. I really can't stand her and I don't buy the BS that she finally found her "voice," Bitch please, you found your new angle.

I didn't watch the show yet because I feel like I am on Bethanny overload. I may catch a rerun though just to see what's what. I just can't fathom a full hour of Bethanny being entertaining. Her voice and rapid fire way of speaking grates. YMMV.

nyclovinggirl

nyclovinggirl

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 11, 2010 @ 10:36 AM

I really can't stand her and I don't buy the BS that she finally found her "voice," Bitch please, you found your new angle.

Islandgal

OMG BEST LINE to describe her new self!

Samwil

Samwil

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2010 @ 10:41 AM

Bethenny is one of those types you either love or hate, I guess. I usually find her funny, and when she starts to grate I usually tune her out. Same with the others.

I watched the new show, and I found her to be quite a bit "softer" than she has seemed in the RHONY, which I like.

JessieQ

JessieQ

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2010 @ 10:51 AM

Thumbs down to the person(s) who named this show. The question mark is idiotic (especially since we know she did get married).

Jason reminds me of Tony Goldwyn.

Kittenrescue

Kittenrescue

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2010 @ 10:56 AM

two single people getting married for the first time at 40

Well, I don't know about Jason's marital track record - but Bethenny has been married before. And of course all those broken engagements. I bet the guys she ditched at the altar are breathing a sigh of relief that they dodged that bullet.

I predict that in a few years Bryn will be seeing her dad only on the weekends.

What Jill has said doesn't compare to the shit Alex's new best buds Beth & Ramona have said about her, her children, her husband, her house, her everything - most of which were true.

Exactly. On the reunion Alex said that she spoke to Bethenney and Ramona and they haven't said anything hurtful since (I'm thinking, just wait.) So she'll forgive them for two seasons of trashing, but not Jill - who's also apologized and 'owned' her mistakes. If it was Jill with her own spin-off, I get the impression Alex would be far more forgiving.

While I still find Bethenny extremely abrasive on her own show, at least on Watch What Happens she had some funny moments and wasn't as harsh towards Jill. I've had good friends that have stabbed me in the back - as recently as last week - so I can relate to the whole Beth/Jill situation. The bottom line is - it's just so crushing. I wish them both well.

Edited by Kittenrescue, Jun 11, 2010 @ 11:02 AM.

jellywager

jellywager

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2010 @ 11:09 AM

I haven't watched the whole show yet, but from the previews and her reply to Alex on RHWONY that "he like it so much he put a ring on it" is so tired and sounds kind of crude to me. I know it is a Beyonce song but calling their relationship/sexlife/love or whatever "IT" is referring to just sounds degrading to me. And how many times do we have to hear that joke? Enough already.

islandgal

islandgal

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2010 @ 11:19 AM

I predict that in a few years Bryn will be seeing her dad only on the weekends.

So much word. I would almost feel sorry for him if he was such a willing participant. Him waxing the hair off of Beth's belly in bed was just too damn much. Has he any idea of the skinny ball of insecurity and need he married? Reality TV is a relationship killer. Combine that with Bethanny's fame whoring ways, her being the bread winner well.........

Exactly. On the reunion Alex said that she spoke to Bethenney and Ramona and they haven't said anything hurtful since (I'm thinking, just wait.) So she'll forgive them for two seasons of trashing, but not Jill - who's also apologized and 'owned' her mistakes. If it was Jill with her own spin-off, I get the impression Alex would be far more forgiving.

I just think Alex's anger and refusal to forgive is completely disproportionate to the alleged crimes against humanity that Jill committed against her and her family. Frankly, out of all the housewives Jill has been the nicest to her.

If it was Jill with her own spin-off, I get the impression Alex would be far more forgiving.

Let the church say amen.

How many episodes of this show are we in for? I believe I heard that they are still filming because Alex was off to film for Beth's baby shower. {insert eye roll here}

I think Jill and Bethanny are the opposite sides of the same fucking coin. The main difference being that Beth was raised by wolves in a cave.

babs1003

babs1003

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 11, 2010 @ 11:26 AM

I watched because I was curious... that and the fact that the remote was on the other side of the living room. I actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I thought all their scenes in the kitchen were cute and funny. I know Bethenny says they're so different in many ways but I see a chemistry between them that is kind of endearing.

I am lost on the Napolean Dynamite comment... can someone pretty please explain? Thanks!