The Talk: Chenbot, Darlene, Mrs O, Badass Lana, and Sheryl

• Please log in to reply

3943 replies to this topic

Kajo

Kajo

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 15, 2010 @ 5:22 PM

[snip]
WHOO HOO!!! This is bad! They call these high-powered guests? Sara Gilbert is a smart cookie, what is the matter with her? Can we think of a list of questions to ask these riviting guests? Yawnnnnnn, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! I am going to give this show a shot, but we shall see. Also, reading the above posts, I can't stand Handler either, she is vile.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Oct 16, 2010 @ 11:40 PM.
Removed unsourced material

Malibu65

Malibu65

Stalker

Posted Oct 15, 2010 @ 9:34 PM

I live on the West Coast [Seattle area] and it's not live in this market. The Comcast guide shows it airing from 1-2pm

That is the same info I have here in So. California.

I will be actually attending a taping of this show in two weeks. I look forward to this show as I had the opportunity to meet Leah on two occasions and have lunch with her. She is rather funny to chat with.

OhioSongbird

OhioSongbird

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2010 @ 10:07 PM

I'm an OLTL fan (2:00 EST) but I'll give it a shot.....hell, can't be worse than The View.

Even though I love to hate the Bits.

maggie010

maggie010

Fanatic

Posted Oct 15, 2010 @ 10:16 PM

The subjects and guest lists seem a little weak to me. First guest Christie Brinkley?

Too much DWTS and AI already.

The promos in my area are already showing them discussing what turns them on, orgasims - that type of thing.

So for me - a total rip off of The View.

Dancin Queen

Dancin Queen

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 16, 2010 @ 3:11 AM

I don't think they want to be compared to the View, hence the guest list. They want to be "light" (no hot topics) and not political as the View has become. I think it's a welcome change!

Morbs

Morbs

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2010 @ 9:55 AM

I think it's always rough for a new daytime talkshow to get good guests until they are more established.

Cosmocrush

Cosmocrush

Stalker

Posted Oct 16, 2010 @ 11:53 PM

I will be actually attending a taping of this show in two weeks.

Oh Malibu, you must report back here after you go! I'm anxious to see Julie Chen aka the Chenbot do something but Big Brother, which is all I've ever seen her do even though I know she does an Early Show for CBS. I adore Sharon Osbourne too. I think the show sounds like fun and even if it's not any good it will be fresh material to snark on. I only wish it was going up against The View because I think that has gotten to be one tired, predictable show.

selhars

selhars

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 1:35 AM

I agree about the guests -- awfully WEAK.

So far the ones I've seen are ALL women. I get that the show is aimed at women but geez. How about some men as guests.

And Christie Brinkley as your kick off guest?....it's so weak I can't even imagine why it was booked. Who the hell Okayed THAT?

I hope the show is NOT like the "View." I hate the 'View' and don't watch it.
But what I've heard and seen of "The Talk" so far is utterly disappointing.

Tanya1959

Tanya1959

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 11:19 AM

I put this show on my dvr to see what it'll be like. If it's all about mommies it'll probably be the last time I watch.

I don't care too much about which guests they get because the guests do tend to do the circuit when they are selling their latest project.

I'm more curious if we'll get interesting conversations out of these ladies or if they will all be just talking to talk without saying anything worth hearing.

I like Sharon and I like Julie, I don't know much if anything about the others.

Edited by Tanya1959, Oct 18, 2010 @ 11:20 AM.

ccridernyc

ccridernyc

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 2:00 PM

So Leah refers to her daughter's vagina as a cupcake?! What an asshole. I mean... brownie.

Morbs

Morbs

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 2:05 PM

How funny is it that Christie Brinkley complained about blogs being mean to her daughter but then hands out her daughter's new single, "Notice me"? The issue of cyber bullying is about children getting picked on in school and out of school, not 24 year old celebrity daughters who don't like mean comments on blogs.

Right off the bat, the show is so weird for describing how Sara Gilbert came up with the show while in the bathtub. Was she also watching The View? I think they should have addressed the elephant in the room and made some self deprecating jokes about the show being a View knock off.

It'll be more fun to watch after it's been on the air for awhile and the co-hosts have grown sick of each other.

FunkyMusic

FunkyMusic

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 2:31 PM

Sara Gilbert looks so uncomfortable. There are are too many ladies. Like the first season of The Facts of Life. But who would you cut if you had to? I would put Sara behind the scenes. She looks out of place with the other yakkers.

Kara6891

Kara6891

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 3:44 PM

Was she also watching The View? I think they should have addressed the elephant in the room and made some self deprecating jokes about the show being a View knock off.

LOL. That's exactly what I said. The Talk isnt exactly groundbreaking TV. They should have made a joke or two about the competition...but neither side seems to be acknowledging the existance of the other...for now.

There are are too many ladies. Like the first season of The Facts of Life. But who would you cut if you had to?

I'd probably cut Sharon. Leah and perhaps even Holly have the outlandish comedic thing down. I don't see what else she brings to the show. Sara seems to be the smartest of the bunch (with Julie a close 2nd)...if The Talk wants to separate themselves from The View, they would be better served keeping as much brainpower on as possible.

My two complaints are that they need to change the intro and they need to segue better. They were talking about twitter one minute and then all of a sudden Holly chimed in about her kids turning 13.

Cosmocrush

Cosmocrush

Stalker

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 4:54 PM

This show rated a series recording on my DVR. I thought for the first day it was good, lame guest not withstanding. I'm not sure this show even needs guests right now though, there are plenty of people to talk and get to know - all celebrities in their own right.

I swear Julie almost said, "But first..." when they were cutting to the first commercial, but at the last minute changed it to "When we come back, stay with us." Big Brother fans like myself were just waiting for the ChenBot to show up and she almost did.

I really disliked Holly on The Celebrity Apprentice but today she seemed like the voice of reason to teach your child/children proper names for their body parts - all their body parts. She seemed to stand alone on this; I didn't realize that so many parents didn't do that. Really Leah, cupcake? I think I remember her on Oprah trying to get her baby off a bottle at age four or something too. Read a parenting book Leah. Gah.

I haven't seen Sara Gilbert since Roseanne reruns so I was surprised how pretty she grew up to be. Leah was funny, Julie seemed quiet. They all seemed very conscious of not talking over each other, and I appreciated that. I'm looking forward to hearing more from this group.

canadiankitty

canadiankitty

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 4:59 PM

Sara is a recurring character on Big Bang Theory. She is reunited with her old co-star from Roseanne, Johnny Galecki. I'll give this show a chance. Enjoyed most of it except for the Christie Brinkley interview. Seriously??? Christie Brinkley??

mcree

mcree

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 5:04 PM

For the record, I am pro-"vulva".

Not at all surprised by the prudish reaction by most of the panel, especially LR. For a predictable first-day, uh, "hot topic", the response was also predictable.

So Christie Brinkley hasn't had an interview in a while? It showed. Was she really "a get"? On the plus side, LR did make the point that it should not matter whether someone is "gorgeous"; they should not be bullied.

JC, in her moderator role, is sitting on the opposite side as the one on The View. It looks like the hosts are credited in alphabetical order -- coincidence or just lucky she got top billing?

No in-show explanation for why MJW doesn't appear in the opening gaggle, but just comes in for her "field reports".

Graphics and set look nice. I like the logo.

canadiankitty

canadiankitty

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 5:08 PM

The set kind of looks like Bonnie Hunt's old set but revamped.

Cosmocrush

Cosmocrush

Stalker

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 5:11 PM

Sara is a recurring character on Big Bang Theory.

Oh thanks canadiankitty. I guess I don't watch that show.

I agree about Christie Brinkley. And beauty tips? Good genes, the woman has very good genes - that's 90% of it. Of course all this ooing and awwing over CB's appearnce was followed by a conversation about children/teenagers not being bullied for their appearance and assuring us that Brinkley's daughter is gorgeous despite not looking like her mother. WTH?

I liked that Leah jumped in with - paraphrasing: "Who cares if she's gorgeous or not, the point is to treat human beings with respect". Oh and Christie, the Prell endorsement/advertisement didn't "just happen" when you show your own 30 year old Prell print ad next to hers. Ditto for the daughter of Billy Joel becoming a singer/songwriter.

eta: mcree posted when my reply window was open. You made my point about LR and bullying much better.

Edited by Cosmocrush, Oct 18, 2010 @ 5:13 PM.

tisha

tisha

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 5:58 PM

Well, I liked the sofa, I guess. And there was a nice vase sitting behind it.

The audio on the show was a mess. The mics picked up too much audience and too little of the hosts. During the first 10 minutes in LA, the sound was very garbled and made the talking on The Talk almost impossible to follow.

And please, Ms Brinkley, don't treat me like I'm stupid. Oh yeah, you love to work out and eat organic, I'm sure, but you also have had your eyes done and your face is full of botox and restylane. It looks good, so there's no reason to blow smoke up the audience's asses with the pretense that it's all genes and healthy living.

starketcher

starketcher

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 7:03 PM

I thought the show sucked...will give it another chance in case this was first day jitters. Maybe it'll find its footing. Regardless, it'll be around until no one in the world is watching. It's JC's intent on being a star & she sleeps w/ the boss. So whether the shows embraced or not...i will not matter.

ccridernyc

ccridernyc

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 7:11 PM

How funny is it that Christie Brinkley complained about blogs being mean to her daughter but then hands out her daughter's new single, "Notice me"? The issue of cyber bullying is about children getting picked on in school and out of school, not 24 year old celebrity daughters who don't like mean comments on blogs.

Exactly, Morbs. Somehow these wizards equated bullying with unkind things being written on the internet about their adult celebutard children.

curbed

curbed

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 7:30 PM

Typical first show. It'll take some time getting used to them and for them to get in the swing of things. Overall it was better than I expected, but I agree with the poster that said Sharon needs to go. It was irritating when she kept interrupting Christie and continued to talk over her. Did she do that a lot on her past talk show with guests? I like Leah but she needs to tone it down a notch. She can be a bit overwhelming, especially during the kid/sex segment. Sara sat next to her as if in her shadow. The MJW video segment about the kid talk was cute and funny.

Really Leah, cupcake?

Yeah, relating your childs genitalia to something sweet and edible isn't the best idea. What would her kid do when someone brings cupcakes to class?

kevsing

kevsing

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 7:37 PM

Wow, lame. They even copied The View's tagline "Take a little time to enjoy the view"; JC ended the show with something like "And remember, it's always the right time for the talk". WTF?

Christie Brinkley is an idiot. It's really just the same old story with all the celebs when asked how they stay looking so good. "Diet and exercise". They just conveniently leave out mentioning the plastic surgery.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 7:48 PM

Exactly, Morbs. Somehow these wizards equated bullying with unkind things being written on the internet about their adult celebutard children.

Given some of the seriously vicious crap that got spewed about Alexis after her suicide attempt, I disagree that it had nothing to do with cyberbullying or people being totally shitty about a human being in pain because they could.

Edited by biakbiak, Oct 18, 2010 @ 7:48 PM.

ccridernyc

ccridernyc

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 8:14 PM

Given some of the seriously vicious crap that got spewed about Alexis after her suicide attempt, I disagree that it had nothing to do with cyberbullying or people being totally shitty about a human being in pain because they could.

I don't keep up with any vicious crap being spewed about Alexis or Kelly Osbourne. Totally shitty and bullying are different, though both suck, I agree. Adults who ask for the spotlight and kids trying to get to their next class are different stories, but I do see your point.

DebB

DebB

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 8:29 PM

No in-show explanation for why MJW doesn't appear in the opening gaggle, but just comes in for her "field reports".

I'm guessing she doesn't get to sit on the couch at the beginning because she is the most annoying human being ever. Well, not really, but I find her damn hard to take. I didn't like her on Dancing With the Stars, and didn't realize then that I should be grateful that she had toned down her overly giggly personality. Also, what mom seriously thinks she needs to have The Talk with her two-year-old son? He doesn't know how to talk in complete sentences, but he needs to know about sex. I think not.

I was liking Leah for pointing out that it shouldn't matter whether a person is pretty or not when it comes to bullying, and then she just had to tell the world about her irrational fear of discussing sex with her children and her cutsie habit of calling her daughter's vagina a cupcake. The way she got so excited and dramatic about it shows she's going to be the one to completely flip out on the show over nothing at some point in the future.

I liked Julie Chen best. Sara seemed bright but quiet. Holly seemed a little "me, me, me!" However, I'm trying to reserve judgement, because it is the first show.

Edited by DebB, Oct 18, 2010 @ 8:52 PM.

RudyRayMoore

RudyRayMoore

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 10:01 PM

I thought it was dull as dirt. But I am a guy, and The Talk, far more than The View, seems to be aimed purely at women.

I wanted to try it, since I've always liked Sharon, Sara, Leah and Marissa. But if there's no politics or current events, and it's just mommy chat, I guess I'm out.

fl2dc

fl2dc

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 10:36 PM

Simply awful. Didn't enjoy it one bit. I didn't get the "warm, talking to your girlfriends" kind of feel from it. I do get, though, that it's the first day, so I'll give it another shot.

Also, it really annoyed me when Sharon sat with her legs on the couch during the interview.

BillandGrace

BillandGrace

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 11:14 PM

For the record, I am pro-"vulva".

HA!! Good one, mcree.

I enjoyed the show because I think there will be a lot of snark-worthy moments. Don’t know how well Sara Gilbert will do – she seems so much more intelligent and polite than the rest of the cast. She’s been fun to watch on The Big Bang Theory; acting seems to be more her style. At one point today, she had to struggle hard to get a word in. Cringe! They need to fix that.

Christie Brinkley??? She says she has moved on from the divorce BUT makes bad-mouthing her kids’ dad a major part of the interview??? She wants us to Google “divorcing a narcissist”??? Wow. If they keep having guests on that are as narcissistic, duplicitous, and phony as Christie Brinkley, this really WILL be a fun show to watch.

Holly. Nice surprise. Could not stand her on Celebrity Apprentice but enjoyed her today. Assertive but not obnoxious. Intelligent, well spoken. Wonder how she’ll get along with cast members OFF screen.

Marissa. Found her just as monumentally irritating on Dancing With the Stars as she was today. Major snark potential.

Julie Chen. Yawn.

Leah. Loud, obnoxious, pushy, dim – BUT some obvious street smarts. Still trying to deal with the whole weird “cupcake” thing. What a TREASURE TROVE of potential snark with her.

Sharon Osbourne is always good for a “did she actually say that?” moment. And she is tough – unlike the paper tigers on other shows. We’ll see. Can imagine a smack down with Sharon and Leah.

All in all, I enjoyed the show – it is programmed on my DVR for now. Love the set – I, too, thought it reminiscent of Bonnie’s old set. Guests and subject matter really don’t matter much to me when the coverage of the topics is so superficial and so many women are frantically jockeying for attention. It’s the snark-worthy nonsense I am looking forward to and there appears to be plenty of potential in that regard.

Jaclynovascotia

Jaclynovascotia

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 11:43 PM

There were an awful lot of audience shots where the audience members were looking distinctly unenthused. It kind of cracked me up. And there were a row of three model-like women who looked like they wanted to kill someone.

Leah looks like she could work my nerves within a week. She's one of those low-class women I can spot a mile off. Low class regardless of how much money they might (or might not) have in their bank accounts. She's the type who will say, "And I just got up in her face and I told her" while getting all dramatic and pushy.

Poor Sara is too good for this show, I fear. If she is the one who came up with the original idea for the show (well, as original as it is, which isn't terribly original), then it seems to me she should be singled out a bit more.