Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes

• Please log in to reply

280 replies to this topic

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 4:26 PM

Good episode today, albeit with only three Avengers: Tony, T'Challa and SkrullCap. The beekeeping fetishists at AIM unleash the Technovore on Stark Industries, and havoc ensues. Sadly, there's no MODOC . . . just the yellow-tinged rank-and-file for the most part. We do get the first appearance of Rhodey as War Machine. I'm kinda positive this is the first time we see Pepper Potts, though she's not as badass as Gwyneth Paltrow was in the movies. Also, she doesn't manage to break the 100-meter dash record in three-inch heels. Tony gets to run around, only to get tentacle-violated by the Technovore, as it goes for his personal arc reactor. Blah blah blah, Tony manages to get to one suit of armor and sciences the Technovore away, Maria Hill is still on Tony's ass about registering the Avengers with SHIELD, and Tony introduces Cap's new shield, which is the energy shield he had during Mark Waid's run in his title. I'm guessing the original will be restored in the near future, presumably along with its owner, but if an arc reactor is gonna go kablooey, it's nice to have an expandable shield to hide behind.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 7:27 PM

Sadly, there's no MODOC

He got put in jail during the episode with Hydra and AIM fighting over the cosmic cube.

Maria Hill is still on Tony's ass

Speaking of Maria has quite the nice one and nice wide hips too.

. I'm kinda positive this is the first time we see Pepper Potts

She has appeared several times before. In the first episode of the series where Tony takes down the Hydra goons attacking the UN which was actually a way to get Grim Reaper into the vault to try to free Baron Strucker.

She was also in the episode where the Avengers first see the mansion and encounter the Enchantress and the Executioner. She was also in the episode in which Wonderman was created.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:34 PM

AEMH character designer Thomas Perkins pairs Avengers with their lesser counterparts. Okay, Cyclops and Marvel Girl are there, but they're in their original school unis. But you can imagine an Avengers/NextWave team-up looking at Giant-Man, Machine Man and Photon/Captain Marvel/Monica Rambeau. You think Warren Ellis could be called in to write that episode?

BaltimoreTom

BaltimoreTom

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:52 PM

Maybe, if we're all VERY good and ask Mr. Ellis ever so nicely -- plying him with several bottles of beer NOT labeled Lizard Squeezings for his robot brain -- he will write an epi of EMH pairing them with the long-lost Agents of H.A.T.E.!

Of course, it would have to involve the Gamma-Activated Bull Men From Beyond the Nineteenth Perimeter -- and they'd have to be naked, so Monica can go make Cap's dinner.

Um, yeah, I LOVE that series -- is that wrong? Not to mention they have their own theme song, and it's better than this one!

Edited by BaltimoreTom, Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:54 PM.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:56 PM

Just checking in to see if anybody watched "Acts of Vengenace," where Enchantress goes a-huntin' for Baron Zemo and plowing through the other Masters of Evil to do it. Skrull!Cap fucks with Zemo (and creating a sweet Skrull shadow), Wonder Man gets in his canon heroic sacrifice, Hulk jumps Abomination before Zemo says word one about needing the Avengers' help, and motherfuckin' Surtur pops up in the end, foreshadowing grim times for our fave Norse God of Thunder.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 12:21 AM

Oh yes it was awesome episode. Zemo didn't clue in that Cap was replaced by a Skrull. Of course Zemo was going to betray the Avengers anyway.

justjoan

justjoan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 4:56 PM

Depressing rumor of the day. Note: I'm not vouching for the accuracy of this rumor. I don't have any idea if it's true (though it wouldn't surprise me). Just sharing the gloom.

At some point I should probably post about the new season, I guess. Just seems like a lot of work right now. I'm mostly liking it so far, though. Especially yay, no Hank Pym (yet)! Now where is my Carol? Bring me Carol!

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 6:38 PM

Ms. Marvel is coming and so are the Kree.

Perfect Xero

Perfect Xero

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 8:05 PM

Depressing rumor of the day. Note: I'm not vouching for the accuracy of this rumor. I don't have any idea if it's true (though it wouldn't surprise me). Just sharing the gloom.

Jeph Loeb, destroying Avengers related properties that fans and critics enjoy since 2008.

Edited by Perfect Xero, Apr 17, 2012 @ 8:05 PM.

Paul O Regan

Paul O Regan

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 7:42 AM

http://www.comicbook...v/news/?a=58063

This annoys me too:

It is also interesting to note that the second half of Avengers EMH season 2 will have only self contained episodes, since Jeph took control over marvel animation when only 13 episodes of season 2 we made, hence the second half of the season (the part under his helm) will contain only stand alone episodes.

Boo. Screw you, Jeph Loeb.

BaltimoreTom

BaltimoreTom

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:50 PM

Kind of amazing -- you'd think there had never been an animated series that ran for years containing a huge number of super-powered characters and references back over a ten-year span of related stories...

First the Ghost Rider fiasco, now this; it isn't easy to make DC look good, but Marvel manages it on a regular basis.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 3:32 PM

Actually where Marvel has set up the Avengers with it's movies. DC has been unable to set up a live action Justice League movie. The vast majority of people have no idea of the Justice League or who is in it.

Oh fyi DC wanted to make a Green Lantern movie starring Jack Black who gets the Green Lantern ring because he eats coyote heads.

http://www.cracked.c...t-got-made.html

All 5 horrible ones come from DC.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 5:06 PM

Oh fyi DC wanted to make a Green Lantern movie starring Jack Black who gets the Green Lantern ring because he eats coyote heads.

Oh merciful heavens!! That makes Ryan Reynolds' version almost Oscar worthy!!

I read the others on the list.... what the hell are those guys in Hollywood smoking? No wonder I barely go to the movies anymore!

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 6:14 PM

Note this is a huge ot post that deals with superhero movies and a certain hollywood producer who is responsible for some of the worst ideas for them and who almost ruined a few movies by his involvement. Note Wild Wild West was also due to this producer.

Well the Green Lantern script if it had just the names changed could work as an element in a parody movie that lampoons superhero movies. It has the elements.

Trust me read the screenplay for it. I wonder if Robert Smegal did it under protest because he can do good parody work such as on SNL with the Ambiguously Gay Duo and the Ex Presidents and other skits on his TV funhouse.

Hobo Batman well it could work as a alt universe Batman. They have had several such as the series where it was Bruce Wayne who was killed and not his parents. Apparently it is pretty good and the Joker is quite shocking and thought provoking. But Hobo Batman would not work as a mainstream Batman film. The majority of the public for instance had no idea that it wasn't Dick Grayson that was killed off as a result of a telephone poll but Jason Todd his replacement. So this Batman would alienate the majority of people would have gone to see a Batman movie.

Oh you should pick up the Evening with Kevin Smith dvd where he discusses working on the Superman script and the producer Jon Peters who is quite infamous in Hollywood as being weird and an obstacle to film making.

Jon Peters is also supposed to have nearly destroyed Superman Returns by his working on it as executive producer with the director saving the film.

Jon Peters is also why the adaptation of the Sandman comics by Neil Gaiman never got made.

Honestly how this due got in Hollywood was by being a hair dresser to movie stars and dating Barbara Streisand.

Edited by runningoutofnam, Apr 18, 2012 @ 6:16 PM.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 7:37 PM

Reminder: discussing movies is off-topic in here. A line or two about a movie to make a point about the TV version is fine, but any more than that is off-topic. If you are posting in this thread, your post needs to be focused on the TV show. Thanks.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 9:41 PM

I suppose the posts about the dc versus marvel superhero movies should be in it's own thread from now on.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 2:51 PM

I know Loeb is an idiot, but cancelling this show would be EXTRA idiotic.

The show works so well because it really takes a long view at developing stories. Rebooting the Avengers for a new series would be idiotic, because it would destroy the huge investment in ongoing continuity they made in this show.

I HATE that the business model for these shows appears to be a forced reboot every few years, no matter what. The Batman and Spider-Man toon franchises both did it, the Iron Man also, I believe. It SUCKS. It makes it ALL too clear the business is about making new versions so they can produce new toys.

Anthony W

Anthony W

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 1:10 AM

Nooooo! This can't be true. This is the only good cartoon Marvel makes. Marvel made a sucky Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon and now they want a sucky Avengers to go with it.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 3:54 PM

Thought the Kree episode was excellent. Ms. Marvel definitely didn't disappoint. It's odd seeing SWORD not in an X-Men cartoon but their involvement and that of Brand makes sense. Though I don't remember Brand having any powers.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 3:56 PM

Ms. Marvel definitely didn't disappoint.

No she didn't. She kicked ASS. She is now the reason I'm liking this show--IF she appears in every episode. The others all just bore me.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 5:42 PM

Brand does have powers due to being a human/alien hybrid.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 5:47 PM

The others all just bore me.

Why do you say that, Scorpiosrule? There's something kinda awesome about Hulk relying a message while devouring a whole turkey. "Yeah, SHIELD called. Something about an invasion. Whatevs . . . Tin Man, you got any gravy I can dunk this sucker in?"

And natch, Skrull!Cap goes off on the Kree invaders. Also . . . was that the first appearance of Henry "I'm the government, mister!" Gyrich on the show?

Seriously, why the fucking hell would Disney can this show in order to make way for a companion to another show that hasn't found its footing yet?

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 6:50 PM

Loeb would be the problem. He is considered a ruin er of Marvel stuff yet they keep employing him.

Yep first appearance of Gyrich but another mention of the x-men canon.

Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 7:07 PM

This article is stating the the possible cancellation is due to low ratings, and not just Loeb being a dick.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:14 PM

Maybe they should air it on a real channel and at a better timeslot.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:39 PM

Reaction to the show has been great and so have the ratings from what I understand. Now they did do a break and delayed the show for a while. Young Justice suffered heavily from ratings due to how it was aired.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:11 PM

Sorry, Lantern, but I find Hulk as a huge jerk. One who isn't funny. I do like Thor, but it seems he's not even coming back anytime soon.

I've already listed the reasons why I can't stand this IronMan many pages back when the show first started. Nothing has happened to change my mind.

And since Captain A, isn't the real Captain, well...

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:43 PM

Even though this Iron Man is based on RDJR who is Tony Stark in real life?

Thor is coming back.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 11:10 PM

Scorpiosrule . .. Hulk's just a giant ogre of a guy who does whatever the hell he wants. He's comedy gold . . . . getting angry about Wasp and Hawkeye leaving him in the frozen pool, beating the shit out of the Thing, getting a mere oxygen mask while in space, etc.

Even though this Iron Man is based on RDJR who is Tony Stark in real life?

Howard Hughes, I've heard.

I do like Thor, but it seems he's not even coming back anytime soon.

It took a while for me to notice, but Thor and Pym aren't in the group shot at the end, which mimics last season's credits sequences. BTW, instead of the narration, I'd like the full credits and the song. Now? "It's Iron Man! Captain America! Thor! Hulk! And Hawkeye and three other Bl-listers you've never heard about!!!"

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 2:16 AM

No she didn't. She kicked ASS. She is now the reason I'm liking this show--IF she appears in every episode. The others all just bore me.

My only disappointment with Ms. Marvel was her going all fangirl over Iron Man at the end. It weakened her character a bit, unnecessarily.

Other than that, I agree she didn't disappoint.

Edited by WileyCoyote, Apr 24, 2012 @ 2:17 AM.