Debbie Pelt: She Wasn't Always Like This

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

30 replies to this topic

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jul 27, 2010 @ 9:19 AM

One of my least favourite characters in the books an an utter psycho bitch in both verses, it's a credit to the writers and Brit Morgan that I'm finding myself intrigued by the V addicted ex-girlfriend of Alcide. Anyone else?

Mathematician

Mathematician

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 27, 2010 @ 10:27 AM

One of my least favourite characters in the books an an utter psycho bitch in both verses, it's a credit to the writers and Brit Morgan that I'm finding myself intrigued by the V addicted ex-girlfriend of Alcide. Anyone else?

I have great sympathy for addicts of all kinds, yes they usually did something to get where they are - but they usually don't kick the habit alone. So I feel bad for Debbie, add to this even if she wanted out now they'd kill her and yes, I feel bad for her and her family and her ex.

Kris

Kris

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 28, 2010 @ 12:43 AM

Personally I think she's out of her mind. Anyone who trades that fine specimen of Alcide for Cooter must be strung out.

Clash181

Clash181

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 29, 2010 @ 12:38 PM

I have to say, I love Debbie and I love Cooter. I love that they're unabashedly trashy and hilarious and I enjoy the hell out of them.

Thanata

Thanata

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 30, 2010 @ 8:53 AM

I have to say, I love Debbie and I love Cooter. I love that they're unabashedly trashy and hilarious and I enjoy the hell out of them

They're SO like the Rattrays of Season 1!

lambie

lambie

Fanatic

Posted Aug 2, 2010 @ 12:22 PM

I'm really enjoying Debbie's character. Kudos to the actress for embracing an addict demeanor and appearance. She's got the crazy eyes down! I wonder if she lost weight for the show to enhance her addict persona. She looked skeletal in last night's episode! I would think V would make someone look healthier I guess if you take it too far it can go the other way. In TB, anyway.

Helen 67

Helen 67

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 10, 2010 @ 12:38 AM

I can't stand Debbie, but she always captures my interest when she's on-screen, and I think that's because Brit Morgan is doing an incredible job fleshing out what otherwise would have been a complete stereotype. I heartily recommend watching the "Truebies and Newbies" segment with Morgan and Deborah Ann Woll, for any who haven't seen it - they're lovely together, and seeing Morgan as herself somewhat explains the depth we see in Debbie, despite Debbie's being written as a shallow caricature.

If Morgan weren't so good, I wouldn't dislike Debbie so much. She'd just be pathetic and annoying. But Morgan is that good, and so, in addition to my powerful distaste for Debbie, she also scares the hell out of me.

She's also glowingly beautiful, which I never would have guessed from seeing her as Debbie. There, too, my hat's off to her.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Aug 10, 2010 @ 9:26 AM

I saw that video last week and I found it interesting. I wonder if that means Debbie will have some interaction with Jessica. I wouldn't mind her and Claudine trading barbs.

Loved the scrap between Debbie and Sookie this week as well. Very Buffy and Faith.

Brit Morgan is making an essentially thankless character into something a lot more interesting. I couldn't stand Debbie in the books but I really am fascinated by her in the series. If she makes it to the finale at least, I'll be happy.

Actionmage

Actionmage

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2011 @ 12:01 AM

I feel I should come to Our Miz Debbie's defense this week. Except for the V backslide (and her badassed reaction to the dealer), Debbie did what very few folks in tv shows do: she spoke plainly to who she saw as a romantic rival and was able to not kill Sook. (Alcide wouldn't have liked that, but now she only has to explain away the smell of V possibly.)

I think it's Debbie's eyes; you can see her world in them. The happiness at meeting some "nice bitches", her telling Sookie about how she loves Alcide, her hurt and anger when he smells of Sook but there's no honesty on his part about it. Brit Morgan won me over, even if she took the V to try and play havoc with Sookie's telepathy. Sookie has probably been the only fully honest person she's met outside the pack, since moving to Shreveport. Even then, the pack has politics, no doubt. It would be fun, imo, if Debbie came to Sookie for help figuring out the bitches. (Brit was so freakin' vulnerable at Gran's table, wistful about being able to read minds once in a while.)

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Aug 22, 2011 @ 8:14 AM

I'm constantly surprised with how much life Brit Morgan breathes into this character. I hated the character in the books she appeared and I thought the role would be essentially thankless for an actress to take on but Brit has been superb with Debbie this season (as well as last season).

That being said, she was totally selling Sookie out during the Marnie/Antonia scenes though IMO. Notice how 'pleased' she was when Sookie escaped from Tara's clutches?

larapu2000

larapu2000

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2011 @ 10:12 PM

Brit Morgan as Debbie has managed to do what no other actor this season has done so far-make scenes with Sookie bearable. The camera cuts as she's fixing herself up in the car before going up to Sookie's door were HILARIOUS. The way she said she wished she knew what people were thinking should have been a cue to the brain dead Sookie that she needs to stop fucking with Alcide, but alas, they were lost on the one track thought process of Sookie's mind.

She is awesome. I can't wait for the crazy, although I really love the slow burn and boil that is Debbie building up steam.

Teshi

Teshi

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 24, 2011 @ 1:24 AM

That being said, she was totally selling Sookie out during the Marnie/Antonia scenes though IMO. Notice how 'pleased' she was when Sookie escaped from Tara's clutches?

Yeah. She WAS being totally truthful in her head when Sookie was reading her, too, she said that she'd do anything for Alcide and that she really needed Sookie to believe that she wanted to help. And she did really need Sookie to believe her, ha. Crazy Debbie figured out how to lie to a telepath. That's pretty beautiful.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Aug 27, 2011 @ 8:36 AM

To be fair, Rene managed it in Season One but points to Debbie for doing it while under the influence of vampire blood though.

Actionmage

Actionmage

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2011 @ 12:40 PM

This might be a money/casting thing, but where are the nice bitches Debbie met? Wouldn't they be able to tell what's going on in their pack, see Debbie is more invested than Alcide and try to keep Debbie in the fold? Maybe help head off problems- like Marcus? It's not fair to mention Debbie-positive people and not have them, even ineffectually, try to show Debbie she's part of a bigger group?

Seeing strong women, supes and otherwise, has been a plus on this show. Seeing Werewomen and Wiccans headed by Holly would be interesting.

Kudos again to Brit; her Debbie has me so frustrated-angry at/for her!

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2011 @ 10:38 PM

Marcus is perfect for her.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Aug 31, 2011 @ 10:13 AM

I wouldn't wish Marcus on my worst enemy but Debbie's penchant for picking trashy men (apart from Alcide) continues though.

Noelle610

Noelle610

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 6, 2011 @ 1:01 PM

I love this quote about Debbie from io9's weekly True Blood recap. I totally agree that, while flawed, she is one of the most realistic characters:

In spite of Debbie's GIGANTIC flaws and mistakes, she insists that she loves Alcide. I know I'm a Debbie sympathizer, but out of all the incredibly unrealistic turns and twists a show about vampires having sex inflicts on its audience week after week, Debbie does appear to act like an actual human being. She's an addict, she makes horrible decisions, she plagued by her past, and hounded (GET IT?!?) by Alcide's obvious infatuation with Sookie. Yes, OF COURSE she was going to fuck this all up. I'm not making excuses for her, I'm just happy that out of all the jumbled plots on this show, Debbie's continues to be the most surprisingly realistic (again, for a show about vampires that have sex with each other). Of course she's not going to run away with Mr. He-who-pauses-awkwardly-in-speeches, Marcus. She's in love with Alcide. Debbie is going to do everything in her power to try and fix their relationship, which probably means burning whatever little bits of happiness they have left to the ground and then pissing on the embers. As messed up as she is, everything she does makes sense for her character. As opposed to Sam who swings from crazy Wall-Street-banker-killing-brother-hater/lover-turned-revenge addict to lovable barkeep, sheet smelling dog thing.

http://io9.com/58373...e-of-true-death

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Sep 7, 2011 @ 9:37 AM

I have to admit that i09 are on point there with their assertion of Debbie. I have to admit to agreeing with everything they said there.

zomb

zomb

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2011 @ 2:06 PM

http://io9.com/58373...e-of-true-death

Ok. Where do I start?

I know I'm a Debbie sympathizer, but out of all the incredibly unrealistic turns and twists a show about vampires having sex inflicts on its audience week after week...

True Blood is not a sexualized version of The Vampire Diaries/Twillight IMO, for one Debbie is a werewolf (not a vampire), and the character has been engaged in sexual intercourse with Coot, Alcide and Marcus - among several others - ever since it was introduced. By the way, if the characters sexual lives are something the article sustains its "inflicted" on the audience, that might be a sign the reviewer is not quite ready to watch this show just yet.

Debbie does appear to act like an actual human being.

She does appear to act like a serial cheater if you ask me, I also believe there's no valid excuse to cheat on your significant other, "it's only human" included.

She's an addict, she makes horrible decisions, she plagued by her past, and hounded (GET IT?!?) by Alcide's obvious infatuation with Sookie.

Debbie is an addict, but if she's has have been "plagued" by her past then I for one haven't see it, Alcide didn't even know Sookie the first time Debbie consumed and/or cheated on him, so I strongly disagree this so called "infatuation" has anything to do with it.

Yes, OF COURSE she was going to fuck this all up.

I couldn't disagree more, if anything I believe Debbie was actually smarter this time around: she found herself a new dealer of V, she made Sookie believe she was actually helping and, if Marcus wouldn't have killed Tommy, she probably would've gotten away with cheating as well. It was dumb luck that Alcide helped Sam when he did and, out of all of Debbie's extramarital affairs (and there were many of them), Marcus was the one she hid the best, IMO.

There's a lot more but I have to work now.

Edited by zomb, Sep 7, 2011 @ 2:17 PM.

Noelle610

Noelle610

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 7, 2011 @ 3:33 PM

True Blood is not a sexualized version of The Vampire Diaries/Twillight IMO, for one Debbie is a werewolf (not a vampire), and the character has been engaged in sexual intercourse with Coot, Alcide and Marcus - among several others - ever since it was introduced. By the way, if the characters sexual lives are something the article sustains its "inflicted" on the audience, that might be a sign the reviewer is not quite ready to watch this show just yet.

Of course I agree that True Blood is not a sexualized version of the Vampire Diaries/Twilight, but come on, there's a lot of hilarious hot sex. If only real life were quite so exciting. I don't think it's wrong to say it's a show about vampires (and other supes) having sex, as it's a huge part of each episode. Regardless, I don't think the reviewer is saying the sexual lives of the characters are being "inflicted" on the audience, but the "unrealistic turns and twists". True Blood is fantasy, so there's nothing wrong with that. BUT, I think he's making a point that Debbie's character seems to be the most realistic (in his opinion) in terms of her reasoning and logic. As realistic as a character can be in the world of Bon Temps. I also don't think realistic needs to equal moral, just true to life. I also think he's trying to be a little funny, but it's no so obvious if you don't read this quote in context of the entire review.

She does appear to act like a serial cheater if you ask me, I also believe there's no valid excuse to cheat on your significant other, "it's only human" included.

Alcide didn't even know Sookie the first time Debbie consumed and/or cheated on him, so I strongly disagree this so called "infatuation" has anything to do with it.

Did Debbie cheat on Alcide (before the Marcus thing)? I really am not sure and it's not clear from a quick internet search. I thought they had broken up over his not wanting to have children and then she got addicted to V and got engaged to Cooter. I could be totally wrong, but this isn't totally clear to me.

Edited by Noelle610, Sep 7, 2011 @ 3:41 PM.

zomb

zomb

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2011 @ 3:49 PM

I know I'm a Debbie sympathizer, but out of all the incredibly unrealistic turns and twists a show about vampires having sex inflicts on its audience week after week...

Of course I agree that True Blood is not a sexualized version of the Vampire Diaries/Twilight, but come on, there's a lot of hilarious hot sex. If only real life were quite so exciting. I don't think it's wrong to say it's a show about vampires (and other supes) having sex, as it's a huge part of each episode...

To be completely fair, not every 18 year old can stomach this show as well as a twentysomething with a little more life experience would, not because of the sex scenes but because of what those scenes actually imply, Debbie's scenes in particular are a whole lot more complicated than the simplistic "Alcide's infatuation with Sookie" take io9 has on the conflict, because it has a lot to do with the intimacy the Debbie character herself broke once she started cheating (before Alcide met Sookie) and a strong desire to become a mother the article itself seems too juvenile to grasp.

Debbie is an addict, but if she's has have been "plagued" by her past then I for one haven't see it, Alcide didn't even know Sookie the first time Debbie consumed and/or cheated on him, so I strongly disagree this so called "infatuation" has anything to do with it.

Did Debbie cheat on Alcide (before the Marcus thing)? I really am not sure and it's not clear from a quick internet search.

Season 3 established Debbie cheated on Alcide with at least three men - in their own house - before she met Coot (the packmaster she finally dumped Alcide for, also on season 3).

Edited by zomb, Sep 7, 2011 @ 3:53 PM.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2011 @ 8:53 PM

Marcus was the one she hid the best

How so? She screwed him at home in her and Alcide's bed. Did she forget about were's sense of smell?

She wasn't thinking five minutes into the future. Same old Debbie.

zomb

zomb

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2011 @ 9:10 PM

I couldn't disagree more, if anything I believe Debbie was actually smarter this time around: she found herself a new dealer of V, she made Sookie believe she was actually helping and, if Marcus wouldn't have killed Tommy, she probably would've gotten away with cheating as well. It was dumb luck that Alcide helped Sam when he did and, out of all of Debbie's extramarital affairs (and there were many of them), Marcus was the one she hid the best, IMO.

How so? She screwed him at home in her and Alcide's bed.

Considering she flaunted Coot in front of Alcide's whole pack before she was initiated in the pack of her own V dealer (i.e. King Russell) then I'd say Debbie did hide things a whole lot better.

Edited by zomb, Sep 7, 2011 @ 9:13 PM.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Sep 7, 2011 @ 10:48 PM

At least she didn't pull a train on stage this time, you're right.

DollEyes

DollEyes

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2011 @ 1:41 PM

I've got no sympathy for Debbie whatsoever. She's no underdog to me because I define underdogs as people who never quit when the odds are against them and when they lose, they do it with dignity. Debbie is a quitter. She quit on her sobriety, her loyalty and her fidelity to Alcide-again. Alcide may have feelings for Sookie, but at least he never cheated on Debbie with her. IMO, if anyone is obsessed with Sookie, it's Debbie, not Alcide. She made herself over to look like Sookie, she talks about Sookie more than Alcide has and she even brought Sookie up when she was having sex with Alcide. Debbie had a hot, naked man in her bed who cares about her and she's thinking about the other woman? How BSC is that?

In fairness, Alcide did lie to Debbie about where he was going the night he rescued Sookie, but IMO, Debbie emotionally blackmailed Alcide into making a promise that deep down inside, she knew that he couldn't keep. Debbie was just looking for an excuse to leap off the wagon, which she did, so that she can blame Alcide and Sookie for it instead of taking any responsibility for her actions and her addiction. When Debbie noticed that Alcide's feelings for Sookie had returned after she did, Debbie should have just cut her losses and moved on. It may have been easier said than done, but that didn't mean that she shouldn't have done it. Debbie being Debbie, instead of dealing with her problems with Alcide in a mature and sensible way, she gets hooked on V and cheats on him again. Instead of putting up with Debbie's shit any longer, Alcide kicked her to the curb like the trash she is. Good riddance, as far as I'm concerned.

nikotonic

nikotonic

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 10, 2011 @ 10:35 PM

At least she didn't pull a train on stage this time, you're right.

Did I block this out of my brain? I don't recall anything happening on that stage beyond her getting branded and all the V-high wolves shifting. Cooter licked her brand and I thought that was the end of it.

Can't wait for the inevitable Debbie freak out during the finale. She's been abjured, she's got nothing left to lose, except her grip on those final threads of sanity.

larapu2000

larapu2000

Fanatic

Posted Sep 11, 2011 @ 10:07 PM

GODDAMMIT. Debbie's dead. My favorite little maladjusted psychopath is dead.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 7:49 AM

I wish they had kept her around a few more episodes. A better cliffhanger might've been to have Sookie cocking the rifle or whatever, but not to know what happened to Debbie until next season.

That whole scene seemed to go so quickly, and considering it presumably killed two major characters, they both deserved better than that.

Really good actress. I enjoyed her portrayal of Debbie.

zomb

zomb

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2011 @ 10:31 PM

It was very nuanced, she gave dimension to Debbie's psycho side as well as the normal - for werewolf standards - side of her.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 10:10 AM

We struck gold with Brit Morgan. I found the character so interesting because of her.