The Big C: Showtime Hates Our Search Engine

• Please log in to reply

588 replies to this topic

brothertonbanks

brothertonbanks

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 3:04 PM

Other than Ababu acting like a magician's assistant to Paul, I thought this episode was as bad as all of season 3 so far. They need to do something better with Adam than pairing him up with Parker Posey's character or the religious people. I like Susan Sarandon, but dislike that whole storyline. I also can't stand the gay phone sex thing. So now we're going to be getting Allison Janney? She should be good. I loved her appearance as a lawyer on Weeds years ago.

smwurr

smwurr

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 5:07 PM

Is it advisable for someone with stage 4 melanoma to get a glycolic peel?

Right!??? That was an incredibly stupid plotline. I can't decide where I stand on the baby plotline, as to whether people who have had major health crises in the last few months should even be adopting. I'll lean towards "yes" because it's not like if Cathy had a baby of her own and then was diagnosed with cancer the state would come in and take it away. So adopting shouldn't be any different I suppose.

However, the way they completely dismiss Adam is starting to piss me off. I don't like the way his character is heading and I think all his anger and petulance seems incredibly out of the blue. But I side with him 100% on the baby issue. They didn't even discuss it with him. And when he expressed concerns and reservations, they totally ignored him and forged ahead. It's kind of bullshit.

The church group storyline needs to go, however. Do plenty of people find God when experiencing a life crisis? Sure. But I don't think it really fits Adam's character and I hate the "hot Christian girl lets you put it in her butt" thing.

Edited by smwurr, May 8, 2012 @ 5:08 PM.

oceanblue

oceanblue

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 6:40 PM

I think it's horrifically selfish for Cathy and Paul to adopt a baby. Both have serious health issues. It's not fair to intentionally put an infant into this to please themselves.

LostWithSawyer

LostWithSawyer

Channel Surfer

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 8:59 PM

I think it's horrifically selfish for Cathy and Paul to adopt a baby. Both have serious health issues. It's not fair to intentionally put an infant into this to please themselves.

I hate the "hot Christian girl lets you put it in her butt" thing.

Ugh, agreed on both points. What the heck is going on with the storylines on this show?!

BigC

BigC

Just Tuned In

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 12:43 PM

Darlene Hunt, creator of The Big C, is now tweeting! Follow her @DarleneTweets for live tweets from future episodes!

brothertonbanks

brothertonbanks

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 12:51 PM

The only good part of this episode for me was Alison Janney telling Cathy that they were going to kill her character off in the movie because her illness is incurable. Maybe this will be the last season for this show, and Cathy will die at the end. She can't be doing all that smoking and drinking for nothing.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 1:21 PM

Sandra Bullock married to Leonardo DiCaprio? I feel like it would be more realistic for him to play her son. A quick google shows she's 10 1/2 years older.

MzTeaze

MzTeaze

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 11:08 AM

This is another show where the writing has gone off the rails a bit.

I don't understand the set up for Cathy's double life as Alexis. Is she angling for another affair? or toying with what she thought was a widow's life?

I like the gay-sex phone thing but I think its dragged on too long. I loved the back and forth between Sean and Victor Garber as the Original Willy. :-)

Cathy and Paul seem to be drowning without noticing it. I suppose that's what the baby build up is all about. How far their marriage is drifting off course without either of them truly addressing the death scare with each other...not the blogosphere world.

But, I don't really care about any of the storylines OR characters this season. The laughs are slower and less hearty.

smwurr

smwurr

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 10:03 AM

I don't understand the set up for Cathy's double life as Alexis. Is she angling for another affair? or toying with what she thought was a widow's life?

I'm pretty sure the guy she met when the bartender was in the bathroom is going to be important. I was thinking he was going to turn out to be their baby lawyer, and Cathy will have sunk the adoption by lying to him about her name and her fake family.

I agree about everything being off somehow this season. I think it's because Cathy has reverted back to being totally unlikeable again, which was what I hated about season 1. She's ignoring her son's feelings about the adoption, she's in denial again about her cancer (not saying she has no right to be happy about her good news with the clinical trial, but she acts like it means she's cured and we never see her being scared or worried at all, and I think that's unrealistic), and she acts totally inappropriate with strangers. She's just kind of a rude and annoying person.

Nukerjsr

Nukerjsr

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 1:15 PM

Okay, I've caught up to Season 3 all the way to the end...and I just cannot stand so much with this, but I have to get this off my check

Fuck You, Cathy. This has so seriously turned into the "First World Problems" television show. Cathy doesn't have cancer anymore, NONE of them really have problems other than their intense entitlement mentally damaging them. There's so much of this show that is not explained and motives are turned on a dime, it is ridiculously stupid. I think this show is slowly turning into Entourage where not only are the characters regressing and becoming less likable, but they are getting these incredible fantasies.

I stick with this show because I really love Paul's character. Paul is kind, active, involved, passionate, a manchild no question, but for fuck's sake he is likable and actually accomplishing something with his life. I actually like the arc with Susan Sarandon because it's giving Paul purpose which he really needed, especially because it's quite the fitting job for him. But every conflict in this series has all been centered around Cathy being an unapproving bitch who has things just so ungodly well. Unless they are setting her up for a fall, then I don't know what the fuck they are trying to prove with this character. These writers have somehow become more inconsistent.

-Adam's arc I don't mind, because he needs to be that character to tell Cathy and Paul the honest truth. If he wants to have buttsex? I don't really mind it and that positive Christian group is something the boy needs.
-Abubu (Whatever she's calling herself now) is so pointless and unnecessary. I don't get also what they are doing with her.
-I have hated Sean all season, until Episode 6 where they finally built it up to something. But the gay sex line is just a running joke that isn't funny because Sean is already nuts enough.

It's harder to stick by this show, and I think it's mostly because Cathy's life is becoming magically amazing at this point, and she still cannot be happy. "A free window?! A movie contract?! GO TO HELL, IT'S NOT WHAT I WANT!" And the mysterious, unexplained barfly personality. It was particularly bad how she was saying that her husband was a contractor. This woman has things so good and she can't even see it. She's like "Have an entire wedding cake, and eat it too."

Blue Lemming

Blue Lemming

Video Archivist

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 9:04 AM

I am just wondering what opinion the couple (who are giving Paul & Cathy their baby) will have when they see the hole in side of the house, that Cathy made with the sledge hammer. It's one thing to ask a contractor to install a window and its another thing to take a sledge hammer and start beating a hole in the side of your home. Will they think Cathy is unstable?? Will they think she has some type of anger issues?? Will they think she has an "impulse control" problem??

I am making the assumption that the guy/father of the unborn child will be asked to frame out and install the window they discussed.

Personally, I would think twice about handing over a child to someone who would grab a sledge hammer and just start beating on an exterior wall until a hole was opened up. (Just my opinion)

MzTeaze

MzTeaze

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 6:26 AM

Well I think we now know what the couple thinks about Cathy....since they aren't even pregnant. Whomp Whomp.

I don't like Adam this season at all. I don't blame Cathy for snatching that car back.

HWavoidance

HWavoidance

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 6:58 AM

I hate Cathy so much at this point I don't even care that Old Christine's brother and Meryl Streep's daughter are screwing her over for fake baby money. Are we supposed to root for this selfish, bitchy new lease she has on life? Because she is frankly a waste of a successful trial, and this is the first time I've seen a movie or tv show about someone with a terminal illness where I wasn't rooting for them to get better. Which I know is unrealistic, but if ever this show was grounded in realism, that day is long gone.

brothertonbanks

brothertonbanks

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 11:23 AM

Old Christine's brother

I was wondering where I'd seen him before. I thought he looked like Claire's last boyfriend on Six Feet Under. I liked the last part of the show, with Paul jerking off to Joy's infomercial and the reveal that the young couple was not pregnant. That was a relief. The rest of the episode was pretty lame. Sean was more interesting when he was homeless.

smwurr

smwurr

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 7:35 PM

I still wish the show would tell us how Paul and Cathy even have enough money to be the arget of scam artists. Paul had his heart attack because he was raging at the insurance company for running them into the poorhouse. Cathy cashed in her 401k and spent tons of money on gifts for Adam that she apparently never returned. They couldn't have sold that car when they were so strapped for cash last season? Yet suddenly this season they have plenty of money even though Cathy is still a school teacher and Paul has no job.

Cathy is still insufferable, as is Adam. Paul and Ababu should just have their own show at this point. Although Paul grossed me out completely in his last scene.

Artistictype

Artistictype

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 12:46 PM

Hmmm. How old is Cathy's character. Late 30's, early '40's? With the whole baby thing, I wonder if they'll try a plot line of Cathy suddenly finding out she's pregnant. There will all the drama about whether a cancer patient in remission should go thru with a pregnancy, not to mention the effect the drugs might have on the baby.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 3:59 AM

I think it started out as an escape for her, a way to explore being someone without cancer or a husband who had a heart attack. A friend of mine used to do that when he was younger - if he met a random person in public, he'd make up a name or life story. It wasn't with any malicious intent since he knew he'd never see these people again, and it gave him a way to be someone else for a little while.

I would guess that's how it all started for Cathy. She was driving around, stressed about Paul and cancer and her entire life, saw a bar, and went in to get a drink, and then when the bartender started chatting with her, she just created an alter ego, someone who wasn't dealing with all the shit that was really going on in her life. And then a few days later when she was upset about something or maybe just close to the bar, she decided to go back so she could be somewhere where no one knew her as the teacher with cancer, and then it kept happening and it snowballed from there.

I don't think that she's there looking for someone to have an affair with though. I think she just likes having a place where she can have a drink, unwind, and not be Cancer Lady.

Cathy and Paul seem to be drowning without noticing it. I suppose that's what the baby build up is all about. How far their marriage is drifting off course without either of them truly addressing the death scare with each other...not the blogosphere world.

ITA - they're both so busy trying to embrace life and not get bogged down being upset that they could both die very soon that they're ignoring other things too. The whole Joy thing has been in the works for a while now (although I suppose I should give Joy credit for building up to it slowly, bringing him in one step at a time, instead of trying to sleep with him right after they met).

It was almost a relief to find out that the pregnant couple isn't really pregnant because Adam is right - Cathy and Paul should not be having another kid.

On the other hand, Adam was wrong to steal that car out of the storage locker and give it away. First of all, if the title for the car isn't in his name, it isn't his to donate legally. Secondly, if I told my kid they were going to get, say $20 for their next birthday, that doesn't give them the right to go into my wallet, take out a $20 bill and spend it, then tell me that it was their money since I was going to give it to them anyway.

peachbeserk

peachbeserk

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 11:59 PM

I hope people haven't lost interest in this show. I can't believe no one has posted about this week's episode. Joy's demise was out of the blue and quite sensational. And Paul discovering Kathy's alter ego was a huge revelation too. From the previews for next week it would appear that Kathy may be getting some bad news from Dr. Alda. She has come unmoored, but it seems that Adam has too. I'm not ready to write this show off, and I hope it gets renewed. This episode was just chockful of "wow" moments.

Nukerjsr

Nukerjsr

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 7:06 AM

Honestly, after that episode, I don't see how ANYONE could like Cathy anymore. Pulling the gun and leaving the couple left for dead is just like, there's really no other side of mean spirited bitch that she hasn't covered. And what hell, let's have her mysteriously have and start smoking pot for comic relief. I think because they are going to Puerto Rico, these brilliant writers wanted to wrap up everything with Sean, Adam, and why not kill Joy, just so we can't get her subplot out of the way.

This woman can get another baby, it's possible. But god, I could not groan more than with her speeches against Paul and The Couple about how she's so entitled and how she's supposedly a good person, despite how detestable she is and wants to crush other people's ambitions. Even stuff that's for her, like Adam having something positive for once, or Paul's Job or that fucking potential MOVIE. All for her, but none of that is good enough because they aren't under her terms and they are somehow psychologically going to destroy her.

Not proven. This is such bullcrap, why couldn't it have been Cathy who got hit by that bus?

Nina

Nina

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 9:06 PM

I recently marathoned this show, having never watched it before.

Wow. After two amazing seasons, Season 3 has been a huge disappointment for me. The plots are way over the top. I find myself not giving a rat's behind about Cathy and Paul at all, which sucks because I was rooting for them in the beginning. And what a waste of Susan Sarandon.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 11:39 AM

How often do people get mowed down like that by a bus in real life? I've seen it happen so often in movies & on TV, but I think it's got to be a relatively rare occurrence in reality.

bcharmer

bcharmer

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 1:36 PM

To me, this show has never been amazing. And Linney's acting has always been over the top. What an insufferable character Cathy is. Getting a fourth season would be very generous of Showtime. I don't think the show deserves it.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 4:55 AM

Although Cathy has not been enjoyable to watch lately, I do get her indignation at that terrible couple. Who the fuck promises a baby to someone with NO INTENTION of doing so? And it's not like a pregnant woman who changed her mind either. They have been lying from the very beginning. They contacted Paul because of his blog with the intention of deceiving Paul and Cathy. As Paul said, the kind of person who does that is an asshole. And their explanation that times are tough and they're doing what they have to do to get by is ridiculous. As Cathy pointed out, other people who are having financial difficulties do things like GET JOBS instead of lying about having babies.

HWavoidance

HWavoidance

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 7:00 AM

True, but seriously, she kidnapped a couple at gun point and abandoned them exposed in the woods during a Minnesota winter. They were dicks, but she was Lifetime Movie unhinged. Normal people who fall victim to a scam contact the authorities.

She's also not totally innocent. Buying a baby is not so much legal, and when you give the birth parents ten grand, that's what you're doing.

And Adam may be a self-righteous booger, but he's right, he was an adult and she was a child.

brothertonbanks

brothertonbanks

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 7:58 PM

I thought it was intended to be ironic that she was telling the couple what a good person she was while she was holding them at gun point. The bus reminded me of Six Feet Under. Joy basically put a curse on Cathy before she went to catch her bus. I actually hope this show ends this year.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jun 8, 2012 @ 5:44 PM

Oliver Platt is kicking ass this summer as the fool in As You Like It at the Delacorte theater in Central Park. I saw it last night & he was great.

Fisher King

Fisher King

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2012 @ 5:55 PM

This show has never been too much about believability. With that in mind, I still get much amusement from it. I didn't mind that Cathy left the couple in the woods. At least she let them keep their shoes and they weren't that far from the road. Was what she did any worse than bilking a family, and a woman with cancer, out of thousands of dollars?

Not really liking Paul as motivational speaker but glad to see him having some success.

Love Sean in every scene.

Susan Sarandon looked terrific on this show. Am enjoying seeing Lee Tergeson on my screen.

Less Adam and Andrea time would be fine by me.

Edited by Fisher King, Jun 8, 2012 @ 5:57 PM.

punishinglight

punishinglight

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2012 @ 9:08 PM

Although I agree that this season has been disjointed, I loved this past week's episode (number 8). So dark, and I am actually enjoying how reckless Kathy is being. Does anyone know what the stages of death/grief are? I thought I remember during season 1 how Darlene Hunt mentioned each season of the show being a season of the year (which they've been true to) and a stage of the dying process. Or maybe I am imagining the last part. Anyway, it seems like this year is bargaining, or maybe anger? I just hope it gets a final and fourth season and we get to see Kathy deal with acceptance, or at least whatever her fate will be. It'll be a shame if it is cancelled with pretty much the main theme of the show (cancer) barely being mentioned as of late. Although it'd be creepy if some of Joyce's final prediction came true, it'd set up an interesting final 10 episodes and hopefully take away from some of the middling subplots that have plagued this season.

Edited by punishinglight, Jun 10, 2012 @ 8:03 PM.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Jun 8, 2012 @ 9:21 PM

Does anyone know what the stages of death/grief are?

1. Denial
2. Anger
3. Bargaining
4. Depression
5. Acceptance

It'll be a shame if it is cancelled with pretty much the main theme of the show (cancer) barely being mentioned as of late.

I don't want to minimize the fact that Cathy has cancer, but it's hard not to when the show is barely addressing it except in passing (like as a reason why the adoption lawyer told her that the agency would not want to give a kid to a parent with cancer). As many people have said from the beginning, it's not that I want to see her puking all the time or anything, but this season her cancer is barely part of the plot. If you edited a few scenes, the entire season would seem like it's a regular (cancer-free) family drama.

Nina

Nina

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 4:30 PM

I don't think Linney's acting is over the top. The writers have made Cathy's character absolutely ridiculous. I think she rolls with the punches pretty well.

I don't want to minimize the fact that Cathy has cancer, but it's hard not to when the show is barely addressing it except in passing (like as a reason why the adoption lawyer told her that the agency would not want to give a kid to a parent with cancer).

Given Cathy's "grave news in the graveyard", I guess the cancer is coming back with a vengeance? And it looks like her marriage is on the rocks... Is next week's episode the season finale?