Mad Men Quotes: Like a Dry Martini

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

131 replies to this topic

Wildhorsesnall

Wildhorsesnall

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 25, 2010 @ 11:10 PM

Since Roger was in rare form tonight, it's only fair that we start with a couple of his:

"They couldn't even afford to give us a whole reporter" (about the Korean War Vet--so inappropriate and yet funny).

"You know one of them is going to be leaving here with VD." (about the "wholesome bikini" guys).

And of course Harry's anguished: "I wish we had a second floor so I could jump out of it."

marypoppins

marypoppins

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 26, 2010 @ 12:02 AM

I loved what Henry's mother said to him when he was helping her take the leaves out of the dining room table:

"Honestly, Henry. I don't know how you can stand living in that man's dirt."

queen of mean

queen of mean

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 26, 2010 @ 2:35 AM

Pete: "But we're the scrappy upstarts!"
Don: "I hope you don't say that to the clients"

Pete: "Did you tell him about the second floor?"
Bert: "I'll not be a part of that charade!"

Wildhorsesnall

Wildhorsesnall

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 1, 2010 @ 11:04 PM

"You're never going to get me to do anything Swedish people do."

Nice callback to the Norwegian roommate fiasco. Wonder whatever happened to her.

crogos

crogos

Video Archivist

• Interests:Besides reading anything I can get my hands on, I enjoy watching House, Supernatural, The Office, My Boys, Dancing with the Stars, So You Think You Can Dance, American Idol and The Amazing Race.<br /><br />I also play tennis and follow the EPL, the San Antonio Spurs and the Toronto Raptors.

Posted Aug 2, 2010 @ 9:49 PM

I can't believe the Don and Roger exchange isn't up here yet!

"Did you enjoy the Fuhrer's birthday?"
"May he live for a thousand years!"

haha, it was definitely one of my favourite moments in the episode. It was a nice, light exchange after the rather depressing sham that was the Christmas party--especially since we knew the confrontation with Allison was going to be a mess.

VGMan

VGMan

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 6, 2010 @ 6:58 AM

Quick question for everyone... I might be losing my mind here, but I distinctly remember reading an online analysis of the recent episodes and the author quoted last season with a line of something like "would you rather have the stability of safety or the risk of possiblity?"

I can't find the quote anywhere, and I might be wildly paraphasing. Anyone have an idea what I'm thinking of?

Selianth

Selianth

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 6, 2010 @ 9:16 AM

Are you thinking about Don's line to the Jantzen folks in the first episode this season? "You can either be comfortable and dead, or risky and possibly rich."

webwerkz

webwerkz

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 10, 2010 @ 5:23 AM

Roger points to the full suit of armor and asks:

"Did you ever get three sheets to the wind and try that thing on?"

astrokng

astrokng

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 16, 2010 @ 1:41 PM

Peggy is sharp. What was the line at the art show? The one woman says something about her bf not owning her virgina, and Peggy says, no he's renting it. And she doesn't miss a beat.

No Lee, the jockey smokes the cigarettes.

I can't stop laughing.

Wildhorsesnall

Wildhorsesnall

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 29, 2010 @ 10:50 PM

Peggy: I can work like this, let's get liberated.

The fact that she says this in her bra and slip, with hands on the hips like an annoyed teacher really sells it for me.

avaleigh

avaleigh

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2010 @ 11:59 PM

Some of my favorites--I'm paraphrasing:

Joan to Roger: "You've crossed the border from lubricated to morose."

Roger: "Well, it's official. Friday, December 13th, 1963; Four guys shot their own legs off."

Pete: "I found out yesterday that Head of Accounts is going to Kenny and his haircut."

Roger: "I'll bet there were people in the Bible running around complaining about kids today."

Edited by avaleigh, Sep 4, 2010 @ 12:01 AM.

queen of mean

queen of mean

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 6, 2010 @ 3:30 AM

After Don plays the tape of Roger's notes for "Sterling's Gold"

Peggy: "How can you laugh at that? It's like reading someone's diary."

Don: "Blankenship was a hell cat? Cooper has no balls? Roger's writing a book?"

JCScantling

JCScantling

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2010 @ 4:31 PM

Mrs. Blankenship "If I wanted to see two negroes fight I'd throw a dollar out my window."

Rai

Rai

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2010 @ 11:59 PM

Pete: "Hell's bells, Trudy!"

Carlita09

Carlita09

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 10, 2010 @ 1:19 AM

Ms. Blankenship to Don: "You got a call while you were on the toilet."

Roger: "They're self-so-righteous!"

Mark (as the waiter brings him the phone again): "Yes, I'm that important."

Umbrella Maker

Umbrella Maker

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 10, 2010 @ 3:22 PM

Don: "Nostalgia - it's delicate, but potent. Teddy told me that in Greek, "nostalgia" literally means "the pain from an old wound." It's a twinge in your heart far more powerful than memory alone. This device isn't a spaceship, it's a time machine. It goes backwards, and forwards... it takes us to a place where we ache to go again. It's not called the wheel, it's called the carousel. It let's us travel the way a child travels - around and around, and back home again, to a place where we know are loved."

Cosgrove: "My mother was a nurse at the state hospital in Vermont, and that was the last time I saw so many retarded people in one building."

Lane: "We're not homosexuals, we're divorced."

Roger: "With my hair you can't even see me in here." (on his office)

Roger: "Just when he got it through the door"

stuckincarn

stuckincarn

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 11, 2010 @ 5:11 AM

Betty: "My people are Nordic."

Gypsy

Gypsy

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 11, 2010 @ 5:14 PM

As much as I hate Don as a man, as a wit, he cracks me up more than Roger. My favourites are:

(After Conrad Hilton criticises him for not having family photos or a bible on his desk and being tardy) "Maybe I'm late because I was spending time with my family reading the bible."

And this week's: "You are twenty...something years old; it's time to get over birthdays." (That one hit close to home)

shockermolar

shockermolar

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 13, 2010 @ 3:18 PM

Shutup Betty, you're drunk.

Carlita09

Carlita09

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 13, 2010 @ 5:19 PM

A lot of people have mentioned Pete's "When did we get a vending machine," but I liked what he said right before that: "What is going on out here? I was in the midst of an extremely important telephone call!" It was delivered so primly.

Also, Peggy to Miss Blankenship in her cataract goggles: "Nice to see you! I mean, good to see you! I mean . . . welcome back."

Midge

Midge

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2010 @ 6:13 PM

"Oh, Betty, you have such bad luck with entertaining." HA! and true.

misere

misere

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2010 @ 10:49 PM

Peggy to Joey: "Don doesn't even know who you are."

Such a great 'oh, snap' moment.

Carlita09

Carlita09

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 14, 2010 @ 1:33 PM

Peggy: You need three ingredients for a cocktail. Vodka and Mountain Dew is an emergency.

I can't believe anybody will ever think of Peggy as "humorless." As Trudy said, she's very witty.

deaja

deaja

Stalker

Posted Sep 14, 2010 @ 2:16 PM

Don: "Nostalgia - it's delicate, but potent. Teddy told me that in Greek, "nostalgia" literally means "the pain from an old wound." It's a twinge in your heart far more powerful than memory alone. This device isn't a spaceship, it's a time machine. It goes backwards, and forwards... it takes us to a place where we ache to go again. It's not called the wheel, it's called the carousel. It let's us travel the way a child travels - around and around, and back home again, to a place where we know are loved."

This line is SO brilliant!

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Sep 14, 2010 @ 2:46 PM

"Tell Ray Charles to come in here."

Cracked. Me. Up.

Wildhorsesnall

Wildhorsesnall

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2010 @ 10:53 AM

From Guy Walk into an Advertising Agency:

Joan: That's life. One minute, you're on top of the world. The next, some secretary is running over your foot with a lawn motor.

Maybe it was more the context of the line than the actual line, but I was laughing right along with Don and Joan.

Plus, there's the ever blackly comic:

St. John Powell (ruefully): He'll never golf again.

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2010 @ 11:50 AM

I don't have the exact quote, so forgive me, but my favorite exchange is probably when Alice Cooper and Roger are discussing the sale of Sterling Cooper, and Alice gets in a dig about Jane

Alice: You have your children to think of
Roger: I only have one
Alice: Really?

not Bridget

not Bridget

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2010 @ 3:54 PM

A lot of people have mentioned Pete's "When did we get a vending machine," but I liked what he said right before that: "What is going on out here? I was in the midst of an extremely important telephone call!" It was delivered so primly.

Reminds me of Betty's "very important brunch."

Wildhorsesnall

Wildhorsesnall

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 19, 2010 @ 10:23 PM

"I would get my secretary to do it, but she's dead."

RIP Ms. Blankenship, you saucy astronaut.

CyberSybar

CyberSybar

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 22, 2010 @ 1:46 PM

"She's so much woman!"