4-1: "Public Relations" 2010.07.25 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

821 replies to this topic

TWoP Mars

TWoP Mars

Stalker

Posted Jul 25, 2010 @ 12:43 AM

From AMCTV.com:

Don makes a mistake that jeopardizes the new agency.

Edited by TWoP Mars, Aug 1, 2010 @ 10:59 AM.

over30patheticgroupie

over30patheticgroupie

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2010 @ 10:01 PM

The volume was low, I had my TV turned all the way up and still missed some dialogue.

So does seeing Don threaten Henry's masculinity so he had to prove he was a virile man?

That hairdo ages Betty. Looks like Henry's mom is going to be an interesting nemesis.

What's with the bra and slapping for Don? Is it supposed to remind him of Betty?

PolkaDotty

PolkaDotty

Fanatic

Not so deep, dark and tragic as we're used to. All of the fun without the angst.

And -- Sky King!

FtMyer7

FtMyer7

Loyal Viewer

Happy Slapsgiving.

aemilia

aemilia

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 25, 2010 @ 10:02 PM

Another lackluster start to a Mad Men season - slow on action, big on promise. As usual, I loved it.

I was however, vaguely squicked out by Henry living with Betty in Don's house rent free. If she was living there alone I could understand it, but she's basically rubbing Don's nose in shit. Not that Don doesn't deserve it; I know this rationally, but it still makes me slightly angry.

I loved Peggy's attitude! She's really growing into herself and her career. I loved the fight over the ham.

Looking forward to a new season!

formergr

formergr

Stalker

Posted Jul 25, 2010 @ 10:02 PM

Don suddenly decides to bring it...though I still think he was over the line yelling at the poor Jantzen clients.

So it was hard to hear at some points--I know Peggy said that guy wasn't her fiance, but did she say who he was? A boyfriend, or just a platonic friend?

I had high hopes when we saw Joan had her own office that she had a higher position, but it seems like she is still a secretary based on being asked for coffee and appointment times when whatshisname came back from California from securing the tv spot for the jai-lai team... Was it mentioned where Joan's husband is?

And when Don came home with the kids to an empty house, I was momentarily concerned that Betty and Henry had died of carbon monoxide poisoning in the garage after having sex.

Edited by formergr, Jul 25, 2010 @ 10:04 PM.

MrLincoln

MrLincoln

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 25, 2010 @ 10:03 PM

As usual Roger had the best lines. I feel bad but I laughed out loud at his one-legged jokes.

eavj

eavj

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 25, 2010 @ 10:03 PM

Nice to see that Betty is still the warm, loving mother we've always known.

Poor Sally.

I'm confused about the Thanksgiving dinner scene. Who was the dark-haired woman (the one who later told Henry he was sleeping in another man's dirt)?

I'll admit to being surprised that Don likes to be slapped around.

Great final song. This show always does good music.

Overall, a very good first episode.

sopreppypink

sopreppypink

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 25, 2010 @ 10:04 PM

The new foreplay thing was...different.

Sorry to see they're struggling with the new agency. It'll be interesting when they start feeling the reprecussions of the surgeon general's warning on cigarettes, considering that Lucky Strike is 71% of their business.

WHY DID THE EPISODE END TEN MINUTES EARLY? The credits seemed abrupt.

MuppetCoat

MuppetCoat

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 25, 2010 @ 10:04 PM

I feel weird after seeing that. So much was good, but so much was just. weird.
A bunch of really great one-liners from Roger, great to see Joan, I loved the new office and its look. I loved Peggy and her new partner, and it's funny to think that PR stunts were something you couldn't get paid for.

I loved Don at the end, and I loved hearing everyone in Times Square OoOoOing after his burn on Henry Francis. I'm so done with Betty, if this is how they're going to write her, she went back 2 whole seasons in selfishness and immaturity. Loved Sally and I want her to team up with Henry's mom.

But there were just some ad-things that seemed totally weird, especially Don totally trashing the swimwear client. I see his point, but it just didn't come across as real to me. There's got to be a non-titillating (pun intended) angle to a two-piece that's still interesting despite how hypocritical it is to claim to be the "wholesome" bikini.

(Edited because people with two first names are confusing)

Edited by MuppetCoat, Jul 25, 2010 @ 10:07 PM.

applepie77

applepie77

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2010 @ 10:05 PM

Joan gets an office -- made of WIN!
Roger Sterling, why are you there? WTH do you do? Oh, that's right --you deliver the best. lines. ever.

Don does really love the kids, though, IMO. Interesting he asked about the baby, not Baby Gene. Hmmm.

Love Peggy growing more of a spine.

Don's in a very, very dark place. Happy Slapsgiving, indeed!

Jersey09

Jersey09

Couch Potato

The girl Don took out to dinner looked just like Betty, but she seemed more fun. And the hooker bitch-slapping Don just made me think of Betty.

So, this new agency has one client?

Surprised Don lost his shit so easily with the swimsuit company.

I love Peggy.

More Joan, please.

I find it really bizarre that Betty's new husband agreed to live in Don's old house.

RedBliss

RedBliss

Couch Potato

Ah, so good to have the show back. I agree that it's a bit lighter in tone, in a way, but there could be some messy stuff brewing with Betty and Sally.

I guess Allison eventually made her way to SCDP. I'm hoping they at some point flesh out the transition, how the move to the offices came about. Not too much time devoted to this, but I'd like to know where everyone who is not Don stands.

aemilia

aemilia

Loyal Viewer

Looks like Henry's mom is going to be an interesting nemesis.

She sure has Betty's number, doesn't she? I liked the character and it gave me a bit of insight into Henry. It seems he is rebelling some.

PRgal

PRgal

Fanatic

I'm confused about the Thanksgiving dinner scene. Who was the dark-haired woman (the one who later told Henry he was sleeping in another man's dirt)?

Henry's mom

pigeoninthepark

pigeoninthepark

Channel Surfer

Peggy and Pete were on fire tonight. Love those two together when they're not be all angsty.

Kiernan Shipka looks so much older!

RIP Paul Kinsey.

Edited because you'd think after three season (plus one episode) I would be able to type character's names correctly.

Edited by pigeoninthepark, Jul 25, 2010 @ 10:06 PM.

formergr

formergr

Stalker

Who was the dark-haired woman (the one who later told Henry he was sleeping in another man's dirt)?

I thought his mother, but she seems too young in retrospect maybe. A sister?

tessa261

tessa261

Couch Potato

Who is the woman who plays Jane's friend who went on the date with Don? She looked so familiar!

Otherwise - very slow but set up a lot of storylines: Henry getting flack from his mother (?) about living rent free, Sally and Betty/Henry, agency angst...

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Posted Jul 25, 2010 @ 10:06 PM

Betty is such a child. She doesn't really want to have kids. She wants to be whined, dined and treated like she was an a pretty young actress forever. She still needs to grow up. She wants the house Don bought and the life Don placed her in, but not Don.

This episode should be titled how Don got his Groove Back. He was right about the bikini company. You want to sell bikini's in a "wholesome" manner and then complain when you lose market share? Just stupid. And he was right about the larger point for him that made as well, of course.

The grandma overreacted a bit to Sally "ruining" her Thanksgiving. They are kids. They are picky eaters. However, she was right about Betty. Forget the quote, but her telling him he could get what he wanted without marrying her sums it up pretty well.

Loved the Glo-Coat commercial. ALso loved the way they somehow made it look like so old on the TV. Is that an actual commercial that was made in the 1960s? If not, how did they shoot a black and white, grainy commercial like that?

Also when Don walked in the house with the kids and no one answered my first thought was the two of them died of carbon monoxide poisoning making love in the garage. Now THAT would be a season opening twist!!! Then they walked in. Dang

Edited by HickoryColt, Jul 25, 2010 @ 10:08 PM.

Lilac4381

Lilac4381

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 25, 2010 @ 10:08 PM

Who is the woman who plays Jane's friend who went on the date with Don? She looked so familiar!

I believe she played Sarah Newlin on True Blood, season 2. She was a part of Fellowship of the Sun. She slept with Jason in the church.

Edited by Lilac4381, Jul 25, 2010 @ 10:13 PM.

truejay

truejay

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 25, 2010 @ 10:08 PM

It ended early due to the limited commercial interruptions

Kathcart

Kathcart

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2010 @ 10:09 PM

So we jumped ahead about nine months. Wonder if Peggy had another baby while we weren't looking?

Wildhorsesnall

Wildhorsesnall

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 25, 2010 @ 10:10 PM

Gonna need some time process the episode some more. However, considering that it took over 30 minutes (with the limited commercial interruptions) to see Betty, I'm guessing this season is going to have a very different feel from next.

The girl Don took out to dinner looked just like Betty, but she seemed more fun.

Random fun fact: that actress is Anna Camp, best known for being Mrs. Newlin on True Blood (not gonna lie--I half expected her to give Don one of Mrs. Newlin's "holy hand jobs").

And speaking of actress association, Betty in that last suit and hairdo made me think of Kelly Bishop as Emily Gilmore.

ETA: Lilac4381 beat me to it. She's also had guest spot on The Office and Glee this year so hats off to her (and her agent).

Also when Don walked in the house with the kids and no one answered my first thought was the two of them died of carbon monoxide poisoning making love in the garage. Now THAT would be a season opening twist!!!

That or they were murdered during some home break-in, especially with all the talk about how dark the world is now coming from the characters.

Edited by Wildhorsesnall, Jul 25, 2010 @ 10:13 PM.

acquired taste

acquired taste

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 25, 2010 @ 10:11 PM

...though I still think he was over the line yelling at the poor Jantzen clients

He was definitely out of line to the Jantzen guys, but I think he was actually yelling at Betty and Henry to get out of his house. I mean, he was yelling at the clients the way he wished he could yell at Henry and Betty.

This might be my favourite season premier so far. It didn't seem as slow moving as the last two premieres.

I thought based on some of the publicity pics that Cosgrove was going to be at SCDP - I wonder if that's a future storyline?

Edited by acquired taste, Jul 25, 2010 @ 10:19 PM.

PolkaDotty

PolkaDotty

Fanatic

"Tobacco Road" by the Nashville Teens. 1964 really did have the best music.

Tobacco Road

rosjaq

rosjaq

Fanatic

Don suddenly decides to bring it...though I still think he was over the line yelling at the poor Jantzen clients.

I'm all for Don showing a client the validity of his creativity, but in the context of a new and struggling firm, I thought it was a bit much. In character, yes, but over the top.

I really hope Betty gets better because tonight she was full of everything I dislike, in particular her need prove her maternal authority to Sally in the worst possible way. The force feeding her potatoes in front of Henry's family, causing the child to throw up was embarrassing.

tessa261

tessa261

Couch Potato

I believe she played Sarah Newlin on True Blood, season 2. She was the part of that Fellowship of the Sun. She slept with Jason in the church.

Ahh!! Thank you soo much, I knew she looked familiar and TB is my other obsession:)

his episode should be titled how Don got his Groove Back. He was right about the bikini company. You want to sell bikini's in a "wholesome" manner and then complain when you lose market share?

I first thought they were the first company to make the tankini and that's why they said their product was "wholesome" and wanted to keep their image...guess I was wrong!

Poor Don - I imagine that he needs to get slapped in order to feel something since divorcing Betty (and her affirming that he was not good enough for her per their last fight) he probably shut down...

bluepencil

bluepencil

Couch Potato

Loved seeing Sky King (not to mention his teenage niece, Penny)! One of my favorite shows when I was a kid.

Also loved the "Route 66"-type music (the '60s TV show, with the theme by Nelson Riddle, not the "Get your kicks on Route 66" song). Very smooth, classic early '60s.

I'll be interested to see the response to the WSJ interview. When it's in his best interest to do so, Don certainly knows how to sell it.

pheonaphan

pheonaphan

Loyal Viewer

Betty is truly a wet blanket. So glad to have the show back, but still trying to process....

over30patheticgroupie

over30patheticgroupie

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2010 @ 10:12 PM

Is Betty married to Henry? If Henry is a mama's boy, this could get interesting. I'm on Team Henry's Mama because Betty really was unlikeable this episode.

Was that Hildy working for Don?