Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated

• Please log in to reply

569 replies to this topic

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Aug 1, 2010 @ 6:38 PM

I've heard that supposedly there was going to be a crossover with Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated appearing on Batman The Brave and the Bold.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Aug 2, 2010 @ 4:16 AM

Totally true!

Voice Director, Andrea Romano confirms it! It's in this video about 4 minutes in.

BaltimoreTom

BaltimoreTom

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 2, 2010 @ 1:16 PM

Gawd, that's awful.

Only 13 episodes left of B&B and CN has to shove THAT down our throats?

I hate this network.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Aug 2, 2010 @ 9:06 PM

Liked tonight's episode. Fred's reactions to Daphne's kidnapping was pretty funny.

Hope Estheim

Hope Estheim

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 2, 2010 @ 9:10 PM

Well, at least Daphne knows now that Fred does feel the same way about her that she feels about him, even if he doesn't realize it yet.

Honestly, I wonder what the deal was with kidnapping all of those girls. I wish there could've been a specific reason as to why only girls were targeted. (Although even the seagull that'd been grabbed was caged with Daphne and those other girls!)

Still liking Velma and Shaggy, but Scooby's inadvertent cockblocking is already getting old.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Aug 2, 2010 @ 10:36 PM

Eagle-Eyed fans could spot teenage Pebbles & Bamm-Bamm in the background!

I liked this one, but I called that the Mascot Guy was the Man Crab the second he appeared onscreen. But what of Mr. E? I hereby put my bet down for Angel Dynamite being the culprit. Close to the gang, has an 8-track player, and has access to technology to modify one's voice to sound like Lewis Black.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Aug 3, 2010 @ 1:49 PM

Only 13 episodes left of B&B and CN has to shove THAT down our throats?

I don't see it necessarily as a bad thing. It's possible it'll only be the teaser and not the whole ep. Besides, it makes the crossover for both characters to come full circle - since B & R were guest stars on the "New Scooby Doo Movies".

Overall, this ep was better than last weeks', and we got a little more advancement for the "Mr. E." subplot.

Nice cartoon cameos from Pebbles & Bamm-Bamm! Were those two teens from the teaser supposed to be a take off of Brenda & Dylan from the original 90210?

Loved seeing the monster P.O.V. - it seemed to add to the fear quotient. As if seeing girls getting sucked under the sand wasn't scary!

Poor Daphne and her allergies! She really gets the worst of it when exposed to allergens doesn't she? At least knowing she has a shot with Fred is some consolation.

Fred seems to be making a bit of progress. Loved seeing how he was frantically digging to find Daphne; only to see him go to pieces before finding her. It really got annoying though when he kept saying stuff like, "There's a book. Daphne read a book once!". Not funny writers! Ditto the unfunny gag with the 8-track tape. Puzzled is one thing - too stupid to breathe is another.

I don't believe Angel is "Mr. E.", but I think she knows more than she's letting on. Maybe she's an undercover sistah! Loved her ninja moves with the CDs!

The two best quotes:

Daphne (upon learning about the guy's drink formula being stolen was the impetus for the Crabman escapade): "Why don't you just sue him?"

Villian: "Because lawyers take too much time!"

Daphne's response to Velma about men liking it when women tell them what to do - and how her dad reacted when her mother wasn't available to cook for him (apparently there are no cooks/personal chefs at the Blake household)! Barty Blake lying on the floor sucking on an unopened can of soup is quite a weird image!

Nitpick: With at least two girls missing, you'd think the sherriff would have been a little more motivated to try to find them - Mancrab or no.

Nitpick #2: Why did the gang go to the newspaper morgue at night? Couldn't they just have gone the next mroning when it was open rather than sneaking in and around the stacks with a flashlight?

Edited by magicdog, Aug 3, 2010 @ 2:01 PM.

Hope Estheim

Hope Estheim

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 3, 2010 @ 1:58 PM

magicdog
Nice cartoon cameos from Pebbles & Bamm-Bamm! Were those two teens from the teaser supposed to be a take off of Brenda & Dylan from the original 90210?

Where were the cameos? And yes, that's who the two teens were definitely supposed to be.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Aug 3, 2010 @ 6:40 PM

Peebles and Bam Bam can be seen behind the gang when we hit the beach in the beginning.

Honestly, I wonder what the deal was with kidnapping all of those girls. I wish there could've been a specific reason as to why only girls were targeted. (Although even the seagull that'd been grabbed was caged with Daphne and those other girls!)

Did they ever account for the girls who went missing years earlier?

callie lee 29

callie lee 29

Fanatic

Posted Aug 3, 2010 @ 9:26 PM

but Scooby's inadvertent cockblocking is already getting old.

Okay, this word should never be used in reference to Scooby Doo!! It squicks me out. :)

I really am enjoying this show. There's a lot about it that reminds me of the original (which is still my absolute favorite), instead of the god-awful incarnations of the late 80's and 90's. There's even something about the animation that reminds me of the original.

I'm also enjoying the way they've characterized everybody, nobody's an idiot (even Shaggy and Scooby don't seem that clueless), and we're seeing more of the families and town.

Loved the Pebbles and BammBamm cameo. Growing up was all about watching Scooby Doo and eating Fruity Pebbles.

TDoc72

TDoc72

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 6, 2010 @ 3:06 AM

Growing up was all about watching Scooby Doo and eating Fruity Pebbles.

I am on the fast train to 40 & that was yesterday morning for me!

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2010 @ 2:37 PM

I saw ther ep again this morning and caught a few things I missed the first time:

I'm positive one of the vollyball players we see in the beginning was Susie Chan - the oldest daughter from the "Chan Clan" series!

The latest clue from "Mr. E." included at least two of the missing teens mentioned previously and they are the same couple in Daphne's locket. The article was conviently torn where another person might have been in the picture. That means it could be someone we've seen and likely a contemporary of the adults in Crystal Cove. I don't remember if they mentioned the number of years it's been since the teens disappeared but it's likey been at least 20-25 years. Could the missing teens have been part of a bunch of "meddling kids" of an earlier generation - which lead to their disappearance?

The kidnapping of the seagull earlier in the ep was a reference to "The Creature From The Black Lagoon" a classic B horror flick from the '50s. There was a scene where a bird gets pulled under by the monster in that film. It took me a minute to catch it since it'd been a while since I'd seen that movie.

Anyone notice during Daphne's allergy flashback that it was an astronaut themed wedding? Complete with the bride and groom in space suits?

I'm also enjoying the way they've characterized everybody, nobody's an idiot (even Shaggy and Scooby don't seem that clueless)

Fred unfortunately seems to fall into the idiot category somewhat. He apparently thought a 8-track tape could be played on a turntable. I also didn't like how he was portrayed when Daphne was taken. I loved his reaction when he was frantically digging for her, but I wish the writers had taken a slightly more serious route in how he dealt with it. He was digging non stop into every surface; I should be grateful they didn't portray him sucking his thumb! It took me out of the moment.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Aug 8, 2010 @ 1:08 AM

A Pup Named Scooby Doo (which was a terrific cartoon) started the "Fred is a buffoon" trend. As I recall, they went with this in the Scooby movies too. I guess they just wanted to give Fred more of a personality but they chose buffoon.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Aug 9, 2010 @ 11:13 AM

Three new clips and a few stills from tonight's episode, "Song of Mystery"

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Aug 9, 2010 @ 7:37 PM

I'm liking this series more and more. It's got its own atmosphere (lot of light and sundown too) and way of doing things.

-I don't know what's more creepier...Fred likes chains or trying to figure out why Shaggy likes baggy.

-I'm actually amused they are giving Scooby longer dialogue. It just sounds funny. And hey, Scooby showed some bravery by saving Shaggy.

-This is actually last week's episode but Velma wanting Shaggy to cut out sweets is silly. Shaggy looks like he's on a cocaine diet with how skinny he is.

-Creepy "monsters" tonight.

-Really liked the musical score tonight.

Edited by benteen, Aug 9, 2010 @ 7:37 PM.

Hope Estheim

Hope Estheim

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 10, 2010 @ 1:13 PM

Still enjoying this show, but each episode, they make the culprit pretty easy to call. One "obvious" choice who isn't it, and then the not-so-obvious choice who is it. At least they find clues, but they could use more suspects. One or two extra ones, at least.

I also finally got to see the pilot, and I think it's either the sheriff or Fred's dad who's Mr. E. They're the only two who were there when Daphne showed the locket she'd found containing the picture of two of the missing Darrows.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2010 @ 1:56 PM

A nice balance of horror and humor! No "Mr. E" this time - but that's OK. It's good that he doesn't get ionvolved in every single ep.

Not too hard to guess who was behind the haunted happenings; two suspects and one of them volunteered to be chained up!

Lots of good zingers in this one too:

Daphne: "Who could be playing the pan flute at this hour?"

Fred: "Don't look so happy! We're married!"

Shaggy: "Aren't you going to tell us a story?"

Velma: "Yeah. The end!"

Villian of the Week: "I promised them Utopia. But they did it for candy!"

I was disappointed that the kids weren't really "spookified" as the premise (children corrupted by an evil Pied Piper) and the scary scenes (like Shaggy being dragged by the "monsters" into the darkness) suggested. I keep on hoping! Also, it seems the gang's parents aren't the only self absorbed ones in town! The parents of the "spookified" left their kids behind! Great going Moms & Dads of Crystal Cove! Not to mention the Sheriff, Mrs. Dinkley and Mayor Jones who were all for this development. Curse that revenue stream!

Loved seeing Daphne with Arthur! Nice to know she works for a dollar like teens used to do!

Interesting that Fred is on the football team but surprising he's flunking civics. Do schools even teach civics anymore?

Looks like Velma is still trying to induce changes in Shaggy, and I have a hunch their relationship is going to hit the skids unless she backs off. Kudos to Shag for putting his foot down in regards to the pants! Poor guy looked like Urkel in them!

I loved seeing Fred & Daphne in the "married couple" disguise! Not to mention Fred's squee of joy when the trap was sprung.

Seeing Shaggy & Scooby in their kiddie disguises and walking into the house was hillarious!

Loved seeing Shaggy & Velma dancing at the end! They looked so natural together and Shag's got some fancy moves when he's not in those skinny jeans!

Next week: "The Legend of Alice May".

Edited by magicdog, Aug 10, 2010 @ 1:57 PM.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Aug 10, 2010 @ 5:49 PM

Velma's mother said something to the kids that was never uttered before.

"Go to school!"

Fred mentioned the culprit was a senior, meaning the gang isn't.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Aug 15, 2010 @ 12:57 AM

I caught the latest episode and liked it even though the culprit was very easy to spot. The zombie kids and their attack on the house was really well done and suspenseful. I've come around to liking the Velma and Shaggy pairing, and interesting to see her be the kind of girl who wants to change how her boyfriend dresses and acts.

dawnster15

dawnster15

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 16, 2010 @ 6:39 PM

I really enjoyed tonight's episode. Though the mystery wasn't as good as some of the others they've had I liked how Daphne took charge in investigating Alice May and the fact that Freddie was less clueless in this episode (though he continues to be hopelessly oblivious when it comes to Daphne)

I liked the connection between this villain and the old school one it was based on but my favorite part was the steps forward they took concerning the mystery of Crystal Cove and created even more questions about Mr. E's motivations.

OerbaDiaVanille

OerbaDiaVanille

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 16, 2010 @ 7:25 PM

I liked this episode, too. Finally, a real mystery with real clues. All that led to a phonied-up plan, mind you, but it also eventually paved the way for the season's ultimate mystery.

dawnster
and the fact that Freddie was less clueless in this episode (though he continues to be hopelessly oblivious when it comes to Daphne)

I think he was just as clueless as ever, actually.

As for our other couple, I'm close to building and boarding a "Shaggy deserves better" train. Him gulping and whispering, "Like, help" was a really bad sign for his relationship with Velma.

Liked the reappearance of Daphne's sister, Delilah. Maybe we'll see Daisy, Dawn, and Dorothy in different episodes going forward, too.

Edited by OerbaDiaVanille, Aug 17, 2010 @ 3:02 AM.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Aug 16, 2010 @ 9:08 PM

I liked this episode as well. It was fun and the onging storyline is intriguing. Nice addition to Scooby Doo. The mysteries are good and I like the tie-in to the older case. Was that guy actually an old villain or was it just a flashback in the vain of the old show?

-Liked Daphne taking charge. It benefitted her character.

-Velma's behavior toward Shaggy is annoying me too. Don't blame her for trying to get him to stop saying "like" however.

-Scooby's jealousy is funny.

-Vincent Van Ghoul!

Edited by benteen, Aug 16, 2010 @ 9:09 PM.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Aug 16, 2010 @ 9:49 PM

Vincent van Ghoul! I was right about them bringing it back!

I won't bother to repeat what everyone else said, so I'll agree that this was a good one!

Dei

Dei

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 16, 2010 @ 10:22 PM

I was glad for the last second reveal there, because for a couple of minutes it was really bugging me that they showed the gang capturing Alice's "father" with all of them looking the same ages they are now then showed her as a little girl watching him get taken away. Especially when there was no reason to have her be so young then. But now that we know she was lying through her teeth it's cool.

I was already sure that Angel Dynamite was the one in the torn-out section of that newspaper clipping about the missing kids from her reaction when it was delivered, and now that we see that the last member of the group was a black I think it's safe to say it's a sure thing unless that's a red herring (Wait, that's it! The one who made the ground disappear is Red Herring!). Which would explain why she's befriended a bunch of teenagers and let them use her radio station as a base. I just really hope that she isn't being set up as the major villain of the season (the looks she makes when they get new pieces to the over-arching mystery have been pretty sinister once or twice) because so far she's awesome.

Chalk me up as another person who's tired of the way Velma's treating Shaggy. Although I don't think she'd have snapped so badly in the cemetery if he'd made sure to phrase it as prom itself just not being his thing while the way he did it made it sound like he was agreeing that he didn't want to go with her. I winced as soon as he just started acting glad that she was letting him off the hook without any clarification because I just knew that he was focused on the 'if you don't want to go to prom' part and she was focused on the 'with me' part and the result wouldn't be pretty.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Aug 17, 2010 @ 12:15 AM

I'm starting to get very impressed with the show. I thought at first the mystery of Alice Faye was way to easy to solve, even though it was a nice continuity one of the old Scooby episodes. Then I thought it was strange that she would be shown as a little girl when her dad was arrested when she's supposed to be the same age as the gang. Then when it turned out it was all just a ruse to have the gang investigate the old "Mystery Incorporated" I went "Wow!" I'm now into the whole Mister E plot.

The scenes with Daphne at school after dark had great direction and atmosphere. This show is probably the closest to a Buffy The Vampire Slayer I'll ever see. I'm still bummed that never came into fruition.

I really, really hope they show how Velma and Shaggy hooked up in the first place. It better be a sweet story because Velma is turning into a tsundere.

Here's the original "Creeper" episode from 1970 and funny enough it has a scene set at a dance where Shaggy and Velma pair off (but just to dance) and Scooby cuts in!

Edited by Limbonaut, Aug 17, 2010 @ 3:16 AM.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Aug 17, 2010 @ 4:34 AM

Loved! loved! loved! this ep! At first I was doing the happy dance thinking we finally got a supernatural monster! How creepy was it to see the poor prom date find out his date was THAT UGLY! I was disappointed for a millisecond when it was found out she was a fake - but then thrilled knowing it was all part of the plot to advance the Mr. E. storyline!

Also loved the call back to the Creeper episode (not to mention the recreation of the scenes from that ep showing the Creeper's capture and the unmasking of Carswell). I wonder if any other villians from the past will seek revenge on the gang? I always figured it would be the Ghost Clown.

Also great to see Vincent Van Ghoul. It's a shame Velma isn't as crazy about his movies as Shaggy is; it would have been nice they had something else in common besides the mystery solving.

Also good to see Daphne taking the initiative with searching the archives/yearbooks to find out more about the missing kids. Part of me thinks that Velma should have been the one doing that. As stated earlier, I loved the spooky aspects of the dark library and Daphne searching out those strange noises. Very Buffy indeed!

Speaking of Velma, I'm not surprised she has an angry side to her! She feels like Shaggy doesn't want to be seen in public with her [in a romantic way] and his reluctance to go to prom really ticked her off. Not that I blame her - when you have a boyfriend [at that age] you expect they'll take you to dances/proms. I don't know if it's because Shaggy just isn't into proms (can we safely assume it was Junior Prom?) or isn't into Velma? Or both?? Things are not going to bode well for them unless they have a serious talk. Shaggy seems stuck between a rock and a hard place with Velma and Scooby!

Was there also supposed to be a connection to the other missing kids (the ones supposedly that had been disappearing over the past 100 years)..... the ones thought to have been attributed to Alice's ghost?

When Daphne found out Fred was going to the prom with Alice, you could almost hear her heart breaking! It was also nice to see one of her sisters again - although I think there was a missed opportunity for some sisterly bonding here. Sure, Delilah tried to give her some advice (really butch sounding wasn't she? Yikes!) but Daphne ended up confused anyway. I'd like to hear from more of her sisters from time to time.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the reappearance of Susie Chan! I'm starting to wonder if a Chan Clan spinoff might be in the works!

I was already sure that Angel Dynamite was the one in the torn-out section of that newspaper clipping about the missing kids from her reaction when it was delivered, and now that we see that the last member of the group was a black I think it's safe to say it's a sure thing unless that's a red herring

I'm not sure if she was in the pic - but I do think Angel is the kid sister, neice or cousin of the missing black girl.

{M}y favorite part was the steps forward they took concerning the mystery of Crystal Cove and created even more questions about Mr. E's motivations.

Very true! It makes you wonder if the kids know what they're getting into. For all we know "Mr. E" could be setting them up rather than trying to bring something to light.

lrdmordain

lrdmordain

Fanatic

Posted Aug 17, 2010 @ 11:48 AM

While I enjoyed the episode, it was the little things that I found odd and have trouble letting go of.

1. So in the opening, she was wearing a rip away mask of her face over her modified creeper mask which she was, in turn, wearing over her real face? That seems a bit...extreme.

2. How did she punch out of the ground in the graveyard? We see her fist shooting up out of the ground so did she have some sort of shallow pit she was hiding in?

3. How did Fred happen to know where the rest of the gang was hiding in the graveyard?

4. Why did Alice May attempt to squish Daphne with a library bookcase if her plan was to break up the group through Fred?

Still, all lingering questions aside, I really did enjoy the episode and I am wondering just who it was that bailed out Alice May and what his connection to Mr. E. is. Henchman maybe?

Bleu

Bleu

Fanatic

Posted Aug 17, 2010 @ 12:11 PM

I just really hope that she isn't being set up as the major villain of the season (the looks she makes when they get new pieces to the over-arching mystery have been pretty sinister once or twice) because so far she's awesome.

I hope it's going to be more of a Giles from Buffy thing.

How did Fred happen to know where the rest of the gang was hiding in the graveyard?

I may be misremembering, but I didn't think he knew. I thought he was looking for them or happened to run into them.

Why did Alice May attempt to squish Daphne with a library bookcase if her plan was to break up the group through Fred?

I guess she thought it wouldn't hurt. Although since her job was really an elaborate ruse to leave a clue for them, trying to kill Daphne was overly extreme, unless this is a hint about Mr. E's ruthlessness.

How did she punch out of the ground in the graveyard? We see her fist shooting up out of the ground so did she have some sort of shallow pit she was hiding in?

I guess.

I like this episode better than last week's, which was too silly.

Was there also supposed to be a connection to the other missing kids (the ones supposedly that had been disappearing over the past 100 years)..... the ones thought to have been attributed to Alice's ghost?

Maybe, maybe not.

I don't know who Susie Chan is.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Aug 17, 2010 @ 2:11 PM

I don't know who Susie Chan is.

She's a character from the old school HB cartoon show, "The Chan Clan" from the early 70s. You can catch it on Boomerang every now and then. She and her siblings were also meddling kids with a dog!

Here are the opening credits - Susie is the one playing tambourine in the band.

OerbaDiaVanille

OerbaDiaVanille

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 17, 2010 @ 2:56 PM

magicdog
Also great to see Vincent Van Ghoul. It's a shame Velma isn't as crazy about his movies as Shaggy is; it would have been nice they had something else in common besides the mystery solving.

Makes sense to me, actually, seeing as how in Vincent's original series appearance, he knew Shaggy personally, but not Velma, as she wasn't in that series. So in some ways, it's a callback to that fact.