Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated

• Please log in to reply

569 replies to this topic

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2010 @ 5:32 PM

I chose not to put this in the old Scooby thread since this show is more or less a reboot of the original series and is as different from its predecessors as "Batman, The Animated Series" is from "Batman The Brave & The Bold".

Cartoon Network just unveiled the latest incarnation of the original Scooby gang who are solving mysteries in their own backyard - the town of "Crystal Cove". From the CN press release:

Crystal Cove is a sleepy coastal village that boasts a long history of ghostly sightings, werewolves and glowing deep sea divers. Because of all the mystery, Crystal Cove has become a tourist hotspot, taking in major profits and the townspeople donít appreciate the meddling of the renowned sleuthing team.

In Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated, the curious gang investigates every circumstance with a questioning mindset. Ghosts and monsters may exist, but extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof and the gang will stop at nothing to learn the truth of Crystal Cove. Plus, the drama wonít be limited to paranormal activities � the gang will be portrayed as real teens with real problems, dealing with situations that arise in their families and personal relationships within the group.

The pilot, "Beware The Beast from Below" gave us a look at things we hadn't seen much of before; the characters have been redesigned once again (to mixed reviews), we get more of a glimpse of the kids' home lives and their surroundings. From the pilot ep description:

Despite being jailed for solving another mystery and resistance from parents, the Mystery Inc. gang rush to solve a mystery involving a monster whose lurking underneath the town and cocooning the local townspeople. Velma tries to get Shaggy to be more intimate in their relationship, however he feels it should be kept a secret as he doesnít want to hurt Scoobyís feelings. Daphne keeps hinting her romantic feelings towards Fred who is oblivious to almost everything apart from solving mysteries.

Also new is an ongoing story arc with clues left for the gang in each episode leading to an ultimate mystery to solve.

I've seen the pilot and today's ep, "The Creeping Creatures" and overall I'm torn. I think the art work is great and the colors almost seem retro in their appearance (which goes with the quasi retro world the gang inhabits). I'm not 100% sold on the character redesigns but I do like the atmosphere and there's quite a few spoofy aspects; however I feel like an opportunity is being squandered. With all the work that went into such a spooky landscape and a heightened sense of danger never seen before, I think the creative team behind this show should have gone in a more serious direction. the monsters so far are still fake but they are so realistic and scary looking you want them to be real! You want "Zombie Island" again (with comic undertones of course).

The gang also gets to have a bit more characterization than before and even romantic entanglements. Velma's become snarky and I rather like it. Shaggy's not too much changed though he's less a coward than before and his realtionship with Velma can be sweet at times. Scooby is pretty much as he was in "Zombie Island- except while he cops to being a dog, he's adament that he is not a pet! Daphne isn't the danger prone gal we knew and loved nor is she the butt kicking phenom we've had in the live action films. She's crushing so hard on Fred she'll end up with bruises! What I don't like is how Fred is dumbed down yet again and is suddenly obsessed with building traps (the sort that Rube Goldberg would be proud of). He deserves better after all these years. The gang also seem to act a bit more like teens compared to past incarnations rather than teenaged adults.

Edited by magicdog, Jul 20, 2010 @ 5:43 PM.

Hope Estheim

Hope Estheim

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 20, 2010 @ 11:23 PM

magicdog
Cartoon Network just unveiled the latest incarnation of the original Scooby gang who are solving mysteries in their own backyard - the town of "Crystal Cove".

I thought their hometown was called Coolsville.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2010 @ 1:37 AM

I thought their hometown was called Coolsville.

Yes and no.

Coolsville I think was first identified as their hometown in "A Pup Named Scooby Doo" and had been used on and off since then. It had never been used before that. I also think the creators of this series wanteda name that sounded a bit like the names of towns plagued by evil in horror movies. Personally I welcome that development.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Jul 21, 2010 @ 3:24 PM

I haven't seen it yet but they showed a clip on E!'s The Soup last week. They were talking about how topical the jokes on the new version are. Like after the monster is revealed to be some suspect. One of the gang asks why he would try to scheme for more money when he's already a teacher. The guy gives them a deadpan look and the gangs goes "Ohhhh!" commenting on what little pay teachers get!

shego219

shego219

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 21, 2010 @ 7:21 PM

What I don't like is how Fred is dumbed down yet again and is suddenly obsessed with building traps (the sort that Rube Goldberg would be proud of). He deserves better after all these years.

Agreed, especially since Frank Welker is still doing his voice (a feat I find pretty impressive).

I've only seen the pilot, but I liked it even though it felt a bit rushed. Definitely like how the humor is a bit darker and how there's going to be an overarcing mystery through the season. I'm interested in seeing where that goes.

I also think it's funny that one of the commenters on the pilot on YouTube mentioned Patrick Warburton's role as the sheriff reminded them of "a walking Joe Swanson." :D

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Jul 21, 2010 @ 9:45 PM

Yeah, when I hear the Sheriff's voice it's like Joe Swanson is on the show.

Caught the last few minutes of the first two episodes. Liked the second one in particular.

It's great that Scooby Doo is still going strong after forty-plus years.

Casey Kassum retired as the voice of Shaggy last year but is back as the voice of Shaggy's dad, Samuel. Matthew Lillard, who played Shaggy in the live-action films is voicing Shaggy.

DoleWhip

DoleWhip

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 21, 2010 @ 11:10 PM

I haven't seen it yet but they showed a clip on E!'s The Soup last week. They were talking about how topical the jokes on the new version are. Like after the monster is revealed to be some suspect. One of the gang asks why he would try to scheme for more money when he's already a teacher. The guy gives them a deadpan look and the gangs goes "Ohhhh!" commenting on what little pay teachers get!

I saw that too - I actually found it funnier than all the other clips that night!

Hope Estheim

Hope Estheim

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 22, 2010 @ 3:05 AM

Do they do the split-ups in the same manner?

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Jul 22, 2010 @ 4:35 AM

Do they do the split-ups in the same manner?

Not necessarily. In the last ep, Shaggy, Scooby & Velma went off in one direction, Fred & Daphne in another. Fred and Daphne were the first to see the monsters, which I thought was a nice change (since it always was Shaggy & Scooby).

they showed a clip on E!'s The Soup last week

I was surprised! Nice to know it got noticed.

Some thoughts on, "The Creeping Creatures":

It was cute seeing Suburban Dad trying to run a credit card in the old-timey gas pumps; though I cringed when the daughter seemed to be the only one who realized they were not in NYC. He and Fred seem to have a lot in common.

When Shaggy asked, "Why are girls so [confusing]?" I thought, "Because it's in our DNA. Get used to it!"

I was actually touched when Scooby mumbled, "I'm not a pet!"

When Velma was mistaken for a boy at the hotel, I could practically hear the trombone playing, "wah - wah - wah" after the punchline.

I found it interesting that the hotel owner was insistent on the guys and gals getting separate rooms. This had pretty much been a given since the very beginning. A sign if the times perhaps?

The plot with "Mr. E." thickens. I'm convinced that the other parents are involved in the secret, and that they were the ones who removed the Mystery Machine's engine. After all, "Mr. E." (get it??!!) wanted them to get stranded at Gatorburg and the villans wanted them out ASAP. Plus everyone (except the Rogers' pausing for "still life night") had pretty flimsy excuses for not coming to get the kids when they were so close to home. What Gatorburg has to do with the ultimate mystery I cannot fathom.

The Rogers seem like some family! Of all the kids I'm not surprised Shaggy ended up being the one with the most offbeat upbringing.

Gator mines? Really?? Velma, you're supposed to be the smart one. Maybe the animators always wanted to draw a gator roundup.

Velma constantly trying to get some sugar off of Shaggy. It's beginning to get embarrassing. Yes, I'm aware they're acting their ages more than past incarnations, (and teen love affairs rarely go smoothly) but I'm in no hurry to see any serious action. Just their glances and hand holding were more telling than any smooch.

Ditto the embarrassing situation with Daphne and Fred. I really want this resolved now, it's just not funny (well - except for the "Traps Illustrated" gag!).

Edited by magicdog, Jul 22, 2010 @ 5:06 AM.

Hope Estheim

Hope Estheim

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 22, 2010 @ 6:36 AM

magicdog
Not necessarily. In the last ep, Shaggy, Scooby & Velma went off in one direction, Fred & Daphne in another. Fred and Daphne were the first to see the monsters, which I thought was a nice change (since it always was Shaggy & Scooby).

That's . . . one of the standard split-ups, actually. Nice change for that last part, though.

Oh, but when does it come on, if it's debuted?

Bleu

Bleu

Fanatic

Posted Jul 22, 2010 @ 2:29 PM

The full tv schedule for cartoon network says the third episode airs at 7pm Monday.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Jul 22, 2010 @ 4:35 PM

Shaggy, Scooby & Velma went off in one direction, Fred & Daphne in another.

That's . . . one of the standard split-ups, actually.

Not really. That may have been the case in the earliest "Scooby Doo Where Are You" eps, but it wasn't long before Velma joined Fred and Daphne on the clue hunt and leaving Shag & Scoob on their own. From what I remember this remained throughout the subsequent incarnations (when the original gang were still together before Shag, Scoob and Scrappy had their own show). There were the occasional shake ups during the "New Scooby Doo Movies" eps depending on the guest stars.

zevonfan

zevonfan

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 23, 2010 @ 12:00 PM

I'm enjoying the reboot. They previewed this with little fanfare back in April and I thought, "Uh-oh, this probably will suck and so they are going to bury it," So far, so good, though--though almost anything would be an improvement over Scooby and Shaggy Get a Clue! or whatever that abomination was called.

Hope Estheim

Hope Estheim

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 23, 2010 @ 12:30 PM

You watched that crap, too? Yeah, I couldn't believe it got two seasons.

Hope Estheim

Hope Estheim

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 25, 2010 @ 10:26 AM

Having finally watched the second episode, do the kids possibly have the worst parents ever? At least this explains why they're never around. Wonder if that's why they weren't around in the classic series, too?

magicdog
Velma constantly trying to get some sugar off of Shaggy. It's beginning to get embarrassing. Yes, I'm aware they're acting their ages more than past incarnations, (and teen love affairs rarely go smoothly) but I'm in no hurry to see any serious action. Just their glances and hand holding were more telling than any smooch.

Ditto the embarrassing situation with Daphne and Fred. I really want this resolved now, it's just not funny (well - except for the "Traps Illustrated" gag!).

I think the reason I'm not as annoyed by Shaggy and Velma like I sort of am by Fred and Daphne is because Shaggy not only knows that Velma likes him in that way, but that he also seems to return those feelings. He just never gets the chance to with all the interruptions. With Fred and Daphne, it's more embarrassing because Daphne clearly doesn't see that Fred's just not that into her.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Jul 25, 2010 @ 11:17 AM

I really don't like any shipping or feelings going on because I never saw it as a kid because they hardly implied any. It's only in the 90s with the whole Gen X ironic look at Scooby Doo and other 70s show that I saw it. You hear stand up comedians going "What was going on when they had to split up and Fred went away with Daphne and Velma? Heh! Heh!"

I'm one of those kids who grew up in the 80s when the Saturday morning show(NOT 13 Ghosts) that had Fred and Velma gone, Daphne was smarter and in charge and Scrappy was less annoying, so I'll always like that version as much as the original. Plus the "Pup Named Scooby Doo", because it was hilarious. "Red Herring!"

Here's the Scooby Doo on "The Soup" clip.

Edited by Limbonaut, Jul 25, 2010 @ 11:20 AM.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2010 @ 4:52 PM

Having finally watched the second episode, do the kids possibly have the worst parents ever? At least this explains why they're never around.

It's just speculation on my part but I think the parents did what they did because they are collectively "Mr. E" and are guiding the gang towards solving the ultimate mystery. If they really are that negligent and self absorbed then I feel bad for the gang!

Wonder if that's why they weren't around in the classic series, too?

They weren't there because they weren't supposed to be. There have been plenty of shows in which parents/authority figures were never seen or needed. After all, when you're making a cartoon for kids, chances are parents involved in the action would "spoil the fun". In reality the parents wouldn't likely have let their teenaged kids travel as much as the gang did - or hang out in dangerous places looking for haunted happenings. But cartoons are supposed to be fantasy - to show that kids/teens can do just fine without them. The original series was just that - teen sleuths who had families but we never needed to see them.

I really don't like any shipping or feelings going on because I never saw it as a kid because they hardly implied any

This comes under the YMMV rule. Some people thought there was something, others never gave it a second thought. Cartoons at that time rarely dealt with those issues as they were considered adult subject matter. Cartoons were made to entertain not go in depth into personal relationships. The creators behind this version decided to tackle the issue with not just one but both couples; where it will end up is anyone's guess, but I do hope they handle it right. It's not like anyone's asking for "Scooby's Creek".

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Jul 25, 2010 @ 8:27 PM

Well, they seem to be doing some new things with Scooby. The Shaggy/Velma relationship and this Mr. E thing gives them a recurring storyline.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2010 @ 4:27 AM

Looks like I'm getting my wish!

Episode summary for "The Legend of Alice May":

There's a new girl at Crystal Cove High named Alice May, and she's set her romantic sights on Fred. There's only one problem: Alice is dead! Yep, Fred's new girlfriend is a ghost, famous for snatching up guys like Fred and disappearing with them forever.

I'm curious how this will be handled. It just might be the change in direction for Fred & Daphne.

You can see the airdates and ep summaries for the first 8 eps here.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Aug 1, 2010 @ 10:35 AM.
Official episode summaries aren’t spoilers

Hope Estheim

Hope Estheim

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 28, 2010 @ 8:06 AM

No one's seen episode three yet?

First of all, nice callback to one of the classic series by having Daphne humming one of their past theme songs while she was sewing that ascot for Fred. But man, she is crushing on him big-time. And he's still so clueless as to what she feels about him.

Also still crushing? Velma on Shaggy. And he's still not getting the "alone time" hints from her.

Scooby has a map to every pizza place tattooed on his tongue? Um . . . weird. But totally Scooby.

Fred will take an ascot off for another ascot-clad guy, but not for Daphne? Get a clue, Daph.

Figured the culprit would be Rung Ladderton when he was late for dinner with Daphne. George Avocados seemed way too easy. Seriously. I've seen two episode already, and the show hasn't even been trying to make it hard to figure things out. At least in What's New, Scooby-Doo?, they made you think.

rustyspigot

rustyspigot

Fanatic

Posted Jul 28, 2010 @ 5:41 PM

I like that they've had the Don Knotts looking character in more than one episode as a random town resident. Maybe they'll have others like the butch trapeze artist or old celebrity guest stars in the background.

I'm enjoying this way too much.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Jul 29, 2010 @ 6:06 PM

Only caught some of this. Have to check it out during the week.

-The truck attempted vehicular homicide. That's a new one for Scooby Doo.

-Speaking of new ones, there is Velma's "I know where he can stick it" comment as well.

Flipping the channels the other day and Cartoon Network's Boomerang channel had on one of the Scooby Doo "movies" from the 70s, with the characters from Speed Buggy on. The animation in the early-70s was so bad it's not even funny.

Lewis Black is Mr. E? Last person I ever expected to hear on a Scooby Doo cartoon.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2010 @ 10:23 PM

Lewis Black is Mr. E? Last person I ever expected to hear on a Scooby Doo cartoon.

While I was liking this series already, it was this moment that officially won me over. I can't wait to see the entire mystery unfurl, and why Lewis/Mr. E is doing what he's doing.

Remember, this is also the franchise that involved such things as Shaggy turning into a werewolf just to enter a race with other classic monsters, an actual character named Red Herring (jeez, this will be the best Scooby series ever if they work him in somehow), and the gang teaming up with Phyllis Diller, Cass Elliot, Sonny & Cher, and Don Adams, not to mention the Harlem Globetrotters on more than one occasion.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Jul 29, 2010 @ 11:06 PM

Red Herring RULED!

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2010 @ 10:28 AM

Got some gold on the show courtesy of a poster from Toon Zone who attended Comic Con. There was a panel including Supervising Producers Spike Brandt and Tony Cervone, producer Mitch Watson and art director Dan Krall:

• They revealed the first season is 26 episodes, with an over-arching mystery arc, which would be resolved at season's end.

• The Hex Girls (from the DTV movies) will be making an appearance around ep #7. They've been redrawn and even thier music has been remixed. Whether or not the original voices will return is unknown. The episode was screen at Comic-Con in it's entirety and it's said to be very good.

• A prom episode will be coming up by episode 6. I'm told by then some big changes are coming in the gang's relationships.

• Another character from the past comes to Crystal Cove! (Hint: he was mentioned in the pilot!) Now, I'm starting to think he might be "Mr. E."!!

• The creators admitted they borrowed heavily from "SD, Where Are You?" for this new series. They also said hints of Shaggy & Velma's relationship were seen in that version so making it canon wasn't out of nowhere.

• They see Fred as naive, not dumb. But he has "a big heart and loves his friends." He thinks that the way thing are how is the way they will stay. That the gang will always be friends and probably end up living in a house solving mysteries. As the series goes on, Fred grows up a bit and reliazes there's more to life.

• Daphne, they see as the heart and soul of the team. The glue that holds them together. They also wanted to make smart and resourceful, and noted that she's probably the LEAST cowardly of the gang.

• Velma, they saw as a "cute Comic-Con girl." Seriously, they said, that's the way they described her. They see her as smart, kinda cool, and a little edgy.

• Obviously Shag & Scoob haven't changed too much, although they seem less cowardly than in past incarnations. Shaggy seems to have a bit more intelligence too.

There's also some still and two clips from the upcioming episode, "Revenge of the Man Crab". I saw the clips and I must say - The DJ, Angel Dynamite is awesome during the initial attack!

Edited by magicdog, Jul 30, 2010 @ 5:43 PM.

lrdmordain

lrdmordain

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2010 @ 1:51 AM

Another character from the past comes to Crystal Cove! (Hint: he was mentioned in the pilot!) Now, I'm starting to think he might be "Mr. E."!!

I don't think it'll be Mr. E. since he isn't really from the past in the true sense of the show. I'm hoping for the return of one of the classic monsters mentioned in the first episode. Perhaps the Miner 49er or The Space Ghost, they've always been two of my favorites.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2010 @ 2:23 AM

I don't think it'll be Mr. E. since he isn't really from the past in the true sense of the show. I'm hoping for the return of one of the classic monsters mentioned in the first episode. Perhaps the Miner 49er or The Space Ghost, they've always been two of my favorites.

I think magicdog was thinking that the "past" character will reveal itself to be Mr. E.

I, for one, am putting money on the past character being Vincent van Ghoul (even if Mr. Price has been dead for about 20 years).

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2010 @ 7:02 AM

I, for one, am putting money on the past character being Vincent van Ghoul (even if Mr. Price has been dead for about 20 years).

Ding!! Ding!! Ding!! You've got it! Vincent Van Ghoul will be showing up shortly - and from what I've read he will be popping up on the show more than once. In fact, the creators got permission to use Vincent Price's image from his estate! I'm expecting good things!

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Jul 31, 2010 @ 8:57 AM

I was kinda hoping for Scooby Dum. I always liked him. ;)

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2010 @ 2:44 PM

Finally got to see this ep in it's entirety and overall I'm disappointed.

While I'm enjoying the affectionate nods to earlier incarnations (Daphne humming the old theme song, the ascot, the secret cave entrance, etc.) this ep was pretty weak on most other fronts. Yes, I know we're only 3 eps in and even the best of shows have less than stellar installments, but I had to wonder where the writers were on this one. It's one thing to check your logic at the door but insulting the audience's intelligence is never a good idea.

Stealing doorknobs? Really?? Not to mention being unable to tell glass/crystal doorknobs from one that's a diamond. I'm no gemologist but I think it wouldn't have been too hard to discern the difference. Besides - I'm surprised there were so many such doorknobs in town. You'd thik some would have been made of brass!

The culprit - he was only one of two possible suspects and it seemed more than obvious who it was. No one did question how Rung Ladderton (Jeez! Note to writers: work harder on naming characters!) came to find the diary of the original thief either.

A ladder company going out of business? Really?? Obviously no business saavy people writing this show! It would have made more sense to have had the business go under due to poor management rather than making a product that's "too good".

I'm a little disappointed that Rung was made not only the villian but also such a jerk (especially sticking poor Daph with the check!). I think it would have been better if he'd have been a decent guy - and real competition for Fred. It could have really make Daphne think about dating someone who's interested in her.

I did enjoy the chase scene with the truck. Fred has some mad driving skills! That was probably the craziest car chase since "Mystery Mask Mix Up" in the original series!

Strange how no one questioned how Fred got a shark for his City Hall trap!

I had to giggle at Mayor Jones' giddy reaction at the possibility that City Hall was being torn apart by a demonic presence!

Did they mention where Fred's mom was? I heard the line, "She'd be here if she could...." Does that mean she's dead or are his parents divorced?

"Meddling... peers". Ha!

Here's hoping we get something better from the Man Crab!

Edited by magicdog, Jul 31, 2010 @ 2:57 PM.