The Event: This Thread is Not the Event

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

65 replies to this topic

Arynm

Arynm

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 19, 2010 @ 8:59 PM

Looked for a thread and was unsuccessful.

Very excited about this show, looks like it could be a good one.
Comic-Con is going to have a panel about it and they will be showing the pilot so I hope to get some good feedback from them.

I have also watched the extended commercial from the NBC website and it looked very good

Brief Synopsis:

(from NBC's press release, May 2010) "The Event" is an emotional, high-octane conspiracy thriller that follows Sean Walker (Jason Ritter, "The Class"), an Everyman who investigates the mysterious disappearance of his fiancee, Leila (Sarah Roemer, "Disturbia"), and unwittingly begins to expose the biggest cover-up in U.S. history. Sean's quest will send ripples through the lives of an eclectic band of strangers, including: newly elected U.S. President Martinez (Golden Globe nominee Blair Underwood, "Dirty Sexy Money"); Sophia (Emmy Award nominee Laura Innes, "ER"), who is the leader of a mysterious group of detainees; and Sean's shadowy father-in-law (Scott Patterson, "Gilmore Girls"). Their futures are on a collision course in a global conspiracy that could ultimately change the fate of mankind. Ian Anthony Dale ("Daybreak") and Emmy winner Zeljko Ivanek ("Damages") also star in the ensemble drama.

Cardie

Cardie

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2010 @ 10:37 PM

I'll probably watch this but worry that it will either be cancelled before we find out what's going on, be a success so they postpone the answers for years, or have a totally lame answer to it all.

For all 24's flaws, you knew that a twenty-four hour time investment each season would pay off and then you could decide whether to re-up.

Senator X

Senator X

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2010 @ 11:06 PM

Great cast and a really ominous promo, I'm in for at least the pilot. Plus HR is reporting that Clifton Collins, Jr. is joining the cast. He's great.

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2010 @ 12:37 AM

Yawn.

I mean nothing about the promotion for this show raises more than that out of me. They're trying FAR too hard for "mysterious", so its instead coming off as simultaneously eye-roll-worthy and yet ALSO dull at the same time.

Selianth

Selianth

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 20, 2010 @ 9:05 AM

Heh. Love the thread title.

I've said it before, I'm a huge sucker for cover-ups and conspiracies.. so I'll definitely be catching this one. I just hope that the actual "Event" isn't something depressingly anti-climactic that everyone saw coming (and probably dismissed as being so pedestrian that it couldn't POSSIBLY be it..) Unfortunately it totally won't surprise me when it turns out that way....

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted Jul 20, 2010 @ 10:11 AM

This is a show? From the incredibly vague, yet still rather interesting promos, I thought it was a mini-series.

Sounds like it would be better suited for a mini-series or a movie.

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2010 @ 11:58 AM

I've said it before, I'm a huge sucker for cover-ups and conspiracies.. so I'll definitely be catching this one.

The "what is the Event mystery" seems to mostly exist for pre-show publicity. I mean we know there's a group of people being held somewhere indefinitely by the CIA, and that obviously the President finds out about it, and there's some assassination attempt (various commercials reveal that), presumably because he's poking his nose into this.

I don't think we'll be held in much suspense about what "The Event" is for very long. I'm sure the moment the President learns what is was, we will too. The ongoing plots will probably be more along the lines of how and why did whatever unrevealed paranormal or otherworldly thing this is happen, rather than what is it. "What is it" is just a pre-show tease. A kind of "anti" form of advertising attempting to draw people in by the very fact that they won't tell us what the show is actually about.

sp23

sp23

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2010 @ 12:08 PM

I hadn't heard about this show until I saw this thread. I just watched the trailer, and, wow, it totally doesn't look like it sucks. I may just have to watch this show.

Plus, Tony Todd!

Arjumand

Arjumand

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 20, 2010 @ 1:20 PM

I don't think we'll be held in much suspense about what "The Event" is for very long. I'm sure the moment the President learns what is was, we will too. The ongoing plots will probably be more along the lines of how and why did whatever unrevealed paranormal or otherworldly thing this is happen, rather than what is it. "What is it" is just a pre-show tease. A kind of "anti" form of advertising attempting to draw people in by the very fact that they won't tell us what the show is actually about.

I bloody well hope so - the trailer is really interesting, but there's so much crammed in there, that if every episode just deals with one strand, I can see myself losing interest really quickly.

To be honest, what I saw in the trailer reminded me a lot of the one Dean Koontz novel I really love (and can bear to reread), and this has made me curious. But, September? Pah. And then eking out the information on a weekly basis? We saw how well that worked with Harper's Island.

Like LastTimeLord said, it looks like it would have worked better as a mini-series, over a week, let's say.

dives

dives

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 20, 2010 @ 3:43 PM

Ha, I was just thinking "I wonder why there isn't a TWOP thread about this show, there are tons of great TV actors in it." I'm of the opinion that the Event isn't going to be one particular thing, like "aliens land" on V or "a global blackout" like Flash Forward, but a bunch of smaller things all snowballing and combining into one huge thing. (So articulate!)

Anyone else going to the Comic Con panel on Saturday? I am basically flying down for it, so I am going to be at this panel no matter how long the line is.

Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta

Fanatic

Posted Jul 20, 2010 @ 8:22 PM

I have high hopes, but I almost hate to say that, thinking of all the shows I've had high hopes for: Covert Affairs, Haven, The Gates, Persons Unknown, Happy Town, FlashForward, V, Stargate: Universe, Eastwick, Harper's Island, Warehouse 13, Heroes...

But this time it will be different! Right?

The Mad Maple

The Mad Maple

Stalker

Posted Jul 21, 2010 @ 2:16 AM

The ads are just barely interesting enough to make me want to check out the pilot. After that..... well, we'll see.

Kaoteek

Kaoteek

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 21, 2010 @ 8:15 AM

The first thing that came to mind, when i first saw the early promos for this show, was the movie 2012.

A huge, imminent & disastrous Event that only a select few know about, with a government conspiracy to boot; people that are mysteriously "abducted", probably to bring them to safety or use their skills to build a refuge/a way to escape the impeding doom; a normal dude that investigates and discovers the truth...

If this show turns out to be about 2012 or a polar inversion, I won't be happy.

supposebly

supposebly

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2010 @ 8:51 AM

I just hope they manage to make the characters interesting. I've abandoned all those conspiracy laden ensembles early on because I couldn't stand the characters and/or their ineptitude to ask the most obvious questions. That includes V, Flashforward, Lost and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. A mystery alone is not enough to sustain my interest if I have to watch characters being obnoxious and/or just plain stupid.

A miniseries would probably be better for this kind of show. If it goes on too long, people will have entertained every possible solution/scenario and if it ends before a reasonable solution has been planned and executed, then it's just pointless to begin with. For once, I would like a show like this to have a definite ending.

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2010 @ 12:13 PM

The newest ads FINALLY reveal a bit more.

One thing I noticed was that the detainees are identified in one commercial as not being American citizens. I mean unless something about Guantanamo was being snuck in there by accident, that's gotta mean something.

Senator X

Senator X

Fanatic

Posted Jul 22, 2010 @ 12:58 PM

FWIW, while talking about Nikita at SDCC, Herc over at AICN had this to say about The Event:

(The best fall pilot I’ve seen so far – and I think I’ve seen most of them – is NBC’s “The Event,” which screens Saturday in room 6A at 11:15 a.m. It’s kind of a cross between “Lost” and “24” and far better than I was expecting.)

AngelKitty

AngelKitty

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 22, 2010 @ 6:02 PM

Just watched the promo. It looks like it could be fun, I'll bite. I'm guessing the detainees are more than just not Americans and the event is what brought them or created them since I got the impression The Event has already happened. I'm interested to see where they go: aliens, enhanced humans, or supernaturals.

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2010 @ 12:54 AM

I'm guessing the detainees are more than just not Americans and the event is what brought them or created them since I got the impression The Event has already happened. I'm interested to see where they go: aliens, enhanced humans, or supernaturals.

Alternate Universe is the one which occurs to me.

Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2010 @ 8:16 PM

It’s kind of a cross between “Lost” and “24”

I'm liking what I'm hearing!

Arynm

Arynm

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 25, 2010 @ 10:23 AM

I think for the most part this show is getting positive reviews. If Herc from AICN likes it, I'm sure that I will like it.
the cast looks good and I hope that we know what The Event is right away, and the characters know also. I hope this show does well, I need a new Lost, since Persons Unknown and Flash Forward did not live up to the hype.

Premiere date is:Monday Sept. 20 at 9pm eastern

Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2010 @ 3:14 PM

I don't think they'll let us know what the Event is until at least S2 (here's hoping it's good enough to deserve an S2).

Might as well start the speculation now. The backwards "E" in the logo screams EVIL MIRROR UNIVERSE to me. Bwah!

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2010 @ 10:18 PM

So... over the top crossed with even more over the top?

Might as well start the speculation now. The backwards "E" in the logo screams EVIL MIRROR UNIVERSE to me. Bwah!

Don't laugh. While I doubt its something like a place where people have little evil goatees and use agonizers, I could easily see Fringe being aped somewhat and these people being refugees or prisoners from an alternate universe. I mean we know they "aren't citizens" and yet from the sliver of her we've seen, Laura Innes, at least, doesn't seem to be playing anything strange like an Alien or supernatural creature. So "popped out of an alternate universe" seems like a natural for a camp of refugees. Either than, or time travelers (which come to think of it, is a pretty good guess too).

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted Jul 28, 2010 @ 11:10 AM

I think for the most part this show is getting positive reviews. If Herc from AICN likes it, I'm sure that I will like it.
the cast looks good and I hope that we know what The Event is right away

The reviews I've seen have been pretty split. I've read a number of positive ones, but Jace Lacob from Televisionary said on his Twitter that he straight-up hated it, and Dan Fienberg from Hitfix was pretty down on it too. I think he sums up what could be the potential problem with the show (and all shows like this): "all sizzle and no steak."

Although I'm rather baffled by "the event" itself. I could have sworn that some reviews said we find out what it is in the pilot, while others said we don't.

But, I'm definitely going to tune in. Like others said, I usually give mystery/conspiracy shows a chance, and I like the cast. Jason Ritter is very appealing.

Edited by Redtracer, Jul 28, 2010 @ 11:11 AM.

Arynm

Arynm

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 28, 2010 @ 12:44 PM

I have also read in some sort of article that we will know what "the event" is by the end of the first episode.
My guess:
Hybrid people/aliens, but this seems like V so I am probably way off.
second guess:
i got nothing....

The Masses

The Masses

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2010 @ 6:21 PM

What is the Event?

This show getting shit-canned before the end of the first season.

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2010 @ 3:12 AM

This show getting shit-canned before the end of the first season.

Be even funnier if it happens within the first month.

Brandon

Brandon

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2010 @ 11:17 PM

In other words the show will ape elements from both shows while failing to understand what made them work in the first place.

Cardie

Cardie

Fanatic

Posted Aug 1, 2010 @ 2:11 AM

Well, Evan Katz, who was on the 24 writing staff for many seasons, is one of the executive producers, so I assume he knows what made that show work.

In the latest ad I saw, they finally focus on Jason Ritter. His character is the protagonist, isn't he, so it's weird we've seen more of Laura Innes and Zeljko Ivanek than him.

dives

dives

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 1, 2010 @ 2:01 PM

So, I saw the pilot for this last week-- I'll spoilertag my thoughts, but I will not in fact tell you what the event in the pilot is. Partially because that takes the fun out of it, and partially because-- on further reflection-- I don't think the event in the pilot even is the Event. It's certainly eventful though. Have I said "event" enough?

I enjoyed it, I would keep up with it. The pilot uses flashbacks, which get kind of annoying after a while because sometimes they're redundant, but it's a pilot so I think they'll probably clear that up as we get more familiar with the characters. There is a big "event" at the end of the pilot, but I can almost guarantee you it's not what you think. It was certainly effective in that I immediately wanted to know what would happen next. While I enjoyed watching it, it's such a busy pilot and follows so many threads that at times I got frustrated, because I wanted to know what was happening to X character and I was stuck watching Y. It's a bit like books told from multiple POVs, where you skip ahead a few chapters to see what happens in a certain character's storyline. (Maybe I'm the only one who does that!)

Anyway, it's way too early in the game to say whether or not it will be successful; the main goal of this pilot is to get you to tune in for the next episode, not to give you a big backstory about the characters, and to be fair, they succeed in that. I read a review that hated it, and even that guy said he'd watch the next episode. I liked Jason Ritter, but I think this was partially because I knew the most about him. There are four threads and at least six main characters (JR, Sarah Roemer, Scott Patterson, Blair Underwood, Ian Anthony Dale and Zeljko Ivanek all have storylines), so, besides JR, it's hard to get super invested in any one person besides a general sense of "Man, I hope they're okay :O" because you literally don't spend enough time with any one person. It's a bit of a catch-22. I think there *are* interesting characters in the show, we just don't know much about anyone yet. Like I said before, though, I think this is more a function of NBC going "We have to hook viewers! HOOK VIEWERS, YOU GUYS" rather than a desire to put plot above character development. I certainly hope I'm not wrong!

It reminds me more of 24 than anything, to be honest, despite its sci-fi undertones.

rove3

rove3

Fanatic

Posted Aug 3, 2010 @ 4:12 PM

I'll probably watch this but worry that it will either be cancelled before we find out what's going on, be a success so they postpone the answers for years,

or have a totally lame answer to it all

Yeah LOST, I'm looking at you. *sigh* I will give this a chance but I'm not terribly optimistic.

ETA: And I say this having NOT read under those spoiler bars. :-) Just wanted to clarify.

Edited by rove3, Aug 3, 2010 @ 4:13 PM.