The Amazing Race (Australia): About. Bloody. Time!

• Please log in to reply

791 replies to this topic

SnideAsides

SnideAsides

Fanatic

Posted Dec 6, 2011 @ 8:25 PM

So, here's roughly what we have so far:

Start: Sydney, Australia
Leg 1: Legazpi, Philippines - confirmed by local press before filming began, and photos during filming
Leg 2: Baguio, Philippines - confirmed by local press before filming began
Leg 3: New Delhi, India - photos of the Pit Stop confirmed
Leg 4: Dubai, United Arab Emirates - photos of two teams at Meydan Racecourse
Leg 5: Istanbul, Turkey - photos of teams at Hagia Sophia
Leg 6: Gallipoli, Turkey - teams seen boarding a bus after Leg 5, and this is by a wide margin the most logical destination for it to be headed
Leg 7: Paris, France - spoilers of teams at Le Cordon Bleu
Leg 8: Havana, Cuba - spoilers of teams on a flight leaving the country, and it's not exactly the place you'd connect through unless there was a reason
Leg 9: Toronto, Canada - from the aforementioned flight
Leg 10: Vancouver, Canada - fairly widespread spoilering, local media coverage

If you're playing along, that route includes both the first full leg any non-US version has spent in western Europe, and the first visit by any race based outside the Americas west of GMT.

SnideAsides

SnideAsides

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 7:37 PM

And proving that it is indeed better late than never, Episode 9 (the Dave/Kelly boot) has been recapped.

SnideAsides

SnideAsides

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 12:42 AM

First promo of the new season. If you're not spoiled, it's worth noting that last season's commercials used almost entirely decoy locations (the Colosseum, for example), and the ad isn't necessarily a spoiler. If you are spoiled, then you likely already know whether the city inferred is on the route or not.

Rusun

Rusun

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:07 PM

The cast revealed.

Spoiler

cavalier196

cavalier196

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 5:16 AM

The only thought I can offer at the moment is Sticky? Really?

Free home run for TheGrimRecapper, I guess...

Edit: Oh, God. Sticky only has one arm. Don't I feel bad now?

Edited by cavalier196, Apr 20, 2012 @ 11:42 PM.

SnideAsides

SnideAsides

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:02 PM

Two new twists.

GROAN. I have no idea what the Salvage Pass is but it doesn't sound good, and Must Vote U-Turns pretty much singlehandedly the last Israeli season by turning it into a popularity contest.

Also: I suspect (wink-wink) TheGrimRecapper will have precisely zero problems making fun of the name "Sticky".

ETA: And STILL no gay teams?!

Edited by SnideAsides, Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:45 PM.

Isuzu

Isuzu

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 2:48 AM

And STILL no gay teams

I may be mistaken but isn't there a lesbian couple on the race? The wording was a bit vague on the link above so I could be wrong. I also spotted a black couple so I guess diversity will be more present than last season.

Anyway, I'm actually really impatient, and if this season is as good as the last, it'll be awesome.

Also, TheGrimRecapper's recaps will be the succulent icing on the cake :)

SnideAsides

SnideAsides

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 4:24 AM

I may be mistaken but isn't there a lesbian couple on the race? The wording was a bit vague on the link above so I could be wrong.

Nope, just another case of Guy With Girl Name Syndrome (with a couple who sound like the reincarnation of Dave and Kelly, no less). Also very recap mockable, which is going to make this season very fun for as long as they last.

Edit: Oh, God. Sticky only has one arm. Don't I feel bad now?

It gets better. He's a javelin thrower. (Javeliner?)

ETA: TheGrimRecapper strikes early.

Edited by SnideAsides, Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:27 AM.

Isuzu

Isuzu

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 12:57 PM

Nope, just another case of Guy With Girl Name Syndrome

This makes me very sad. What have we ever done to you producers? And now that I had a closer look at them, I like that the "black" team seems to be the "aboriginal" team but it still seems awfully white out there. I did enjoy Kelly and Dave though, so there's that.

TheGrimRecapper strikes early.

I don't have time to read this right now sadly, but I did manage to read up to the seamen pun. Never change, TheGrimRecapper, never change. Also, where do they find these people? It's like they're provoking us.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 8:07 PM

Well, if it makes you feel any better, Isuzu, TAR Norway does have a lesbian couple as one of the teams on that version. It's just too bad that a country that is supposed to be as gay-friendly as Australia is didn't have the stones to go there this time. Maybe by TAR Aus 5 they'll finally grow a pair and realize that we're all race fans, too!

I'll still watch, though, if only for Grant's sake.

Isuzu

Isuzu

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 2:33 AM

It's just that even if they were reluctant to have a gay couple as a team, which I'd find sad but at least somewhat "understandable", what in the heck could have prevented them from having a siblings team with one of them gay or a parent/child team or even friends (guy/girl or same sex)? The complete and utter absence is what I find annoying.

This being said, I'll definitely watch: gays or not, the first season was miles better than a lot of the US version, so there's that.

I'll still watch, though, if only for Grant's sake.

And also this. Good ol' Cooter. What would we do without you? :)

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 6:43 PM

Sneak Peek -- The Copx

I just may find myself rooting for them on shallow principles, at the very least. I've always had a weakness for men in uniform, and for cops in particular. I just hope they won't turn out to be Australia's answer to Art and JJ.

SnideAsides

SnideAsides

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 6:07 PM

Wow, they don't have tickets on themselves at ALL. Groan. Although if that's a
Spoiler
task in the commercial like it looks like, it seems the tasks are going to be cool this year.

Apparently the Salvage Pass
Spoiler
, which suggests
Spoiler
. Fuck that shit.

It's just that even if they were reluctant to have a gay couple as a team, which I'd find sad but at least somewhat "understandable", what in the heck could have prevented them from having a siblings team with one of them gay or a parent/child team or even friends (guy/girl or same sex)? The complete and utter absence is what I find annoying.

Especially considering having a gay contestant and a same-sex non-relative has never been done before on any version (as far as we know).

Kelekio

Kelekio

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 6:50 AM

Ignore this post. I didn't read SnideAside's post properly.

Didn't the US version have a brothers team a couple of seasons ago where one was gay and a fan of the Race and his straight brother entered the show with him to support his brother? I think they were among the recent winners (last 5 seasons) of TARUS.

Edited by Kelekio, Apr 27, 2012 @ 6:56 AM.

gypsy landslide

gypsy landslide

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 7:14 PM

Have we got an air date for this yet? I'm REALLY hoping it's not on during July/August when I'll be in Europe for 6 weeks! This is the reality show I've been most looking forward to this year!

SnideAsides

SnideAsides

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:48 PM

Looking like a mid-to-late May start, which means it'll be winding up during July and August unless Seven rests it during the Olympics.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 12:34 AM

If I remember correctly, it started airing in mid-May last year. It's currently still in post-production (I asked Grant about it on Twitter a few weeks ago, and he said then that he hadn't finished narrating it yet.) But I think we'll be seeing it start to air in about three weeks.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 11:38 PM

Well, according to the latest buzz on Twitter, the Series 2 premiere is next Wednesday, May 23, 2012. As the thread title says, it's About. Bloody. TIME!

Orfling

Orfling

Just Tuned In

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 5:53 PM

And how, legaleagle44! I found it strange that the Australian network airing it was so coy about the premiere date. On the other hand, it did get me to check back a couple of times, including on their Facebook page, so perhaps it's just smart marketing!

magictree

magictree

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 1:30 AM

All the Australian networks do that now. They advertise for months with Coming Soon and only give you a date the week before it starts. I've missed many a premiere because of it. No idea what the logic is.

Anyway I say some advertys today for the show and they're still not giving a date so I doubt it's Wednesday.

aks

aks

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 8:41 AM

Really looking forwards to this! A couple of weeks ago, me and my husband watched the first season in about four days and really enjoyed it. Much more so than the latest season(s) of the American version. It's going to make for perfect viewing this summer...

Edited by aks, May 20, 2012 @ 8:41 AM.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 5:49 PM

Well, I was half right. Series 2 actually begins airing a week from Wednesday, on Wednesday, May 30, 2012, per the official tweet from the show itself:

The Amazing Race Aus ‏@amazingraceau

Heard the exciting news? #amazingraceau starts Wednesday 30th of May!

Bring it on! :)

SnideAsides

SnideAsides

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 10:40 PM

Yeah, TAR US should have finished two weeks ago to give this show a May 16th start, but we lost one week because Seven decided to shunt an underperforming Titanic miniseries into the timeslot and the second when they decided to split the finale into two episodes. TAR US finishes this Wednesday, which makes next week their first chance to start it.

Given how much they were criticised for borrowing tasks from TAR Asia last year, it's odd that the previews include so many tasks taken from it. Especially when those tasks weren't in the least entertaining the first time -
Spoiler

Edited by SnideAsides, May 20, 2012 @ 10:41 PM.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 11:27 PM

Well, just think of how much snark fodder you're going to have for those acerbic recaps of yours, SnideAsides!

Not Lenny

Not Lenny

Video Archivist

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 7:42 AM

Uh, twins, you don't have pretty faces, in fact you're rather unattractive. The bleached hair, the makeup and bright pink shirts aren't helping. If there's any reason you're "stopping traffic", it's because the passing drivers are in shock.

The woman who chose to wear high-heels: You. Fucking. Moron.

The hairdressers' title sequence looks like something out of a whacky sit-com, like Laverne & Shirley. Thanks to the Salvage Pass, we might yet get to see them do the challenge where they have to work on a beer-bottling production line.

cousin oliver

cousin oliver

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 8:57 AM

Damn, we were so close to having the never say quit team quit. Hopefully Paul is being set up for a big fall very soon.

I really liked having a slow and steady task right before the pitstop (but just because the clue doesn't say you can't have help really shouldn't mean that you can).

Why did Sticky and Sam's taxi cost so much? They're so likeable I don't want them to stumble because of stupidity. Also like Dane/Adam and Ross/Taryn. Too many of the other teams have their schtick turned up way too far.

Plus a short skirt/g-string combo. Classy.

Jyn

Jyn

Couch Potato

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 3:36 PM

Paul & Steve got really, really lucky that last task was so physical, IMO. I highly doubt Ross & Tarryn would've saved them if they'd finished behind Lucy & Emilia.

magictree

magictree

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 6:43 PM

That was a pretty enjoyable ending. Loved that there was achallange that actually changed the order that teams came, significantly so. That was awesome.

Not impressed with the saving of the last team. The Aussies proving to be too nice again. Of course in the same situation I would have saved them :)

I cannot express how sick I am of the "We're hot so people will underestimate us" schtick. Want those girls gone for no other reason than that.

Seems to be some entertaining teams, I am hopeful.

Evan14

Evan14

Couch Potato

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 6:56 PM

The Aussie version stacks up well against the U.S original, in terms of production/standard of challenges/characters etc.
I guess my only criticism is that I'm not sold on Grant Bowler as the host, but that's a minor quibble.

TallulahBelle

TallulahBelle

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 7:34 PM

Plus a short skirt/g-string combo. Classy.

Also, can someone please tell me what the ever loving hell was going on with her eyebrows?? I've seen more convincing eyebrows on the local drag queens in St Kilda. Just horrible. And flat shoes hurt but she's willing to do SERIOUS damage to her back by running in heels? She . . . knows that people are going to find her ludicrous, right?