Say Yes to the Dress Atlanta: Get Your Brides Jacked up Here!

• Please log in to reply

1377 replies to this topic

IvyDarling

IvyDarling

Stalker

Posted Jul 17, 2010 @ 5:36 PM

New show, new thread. They aired a 2 minute (or so) snippet during last night's SYTTD. Seems like a fun show--too bad I'll miss the first two episodes due to being in Europe (though Europe trumps this by far!). The bride who wanted to make sure her butt looks good will be a trip, I'm sure.

quickychick

quickychick

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2010 @ 8:14 PM

I'm not digging AtlantaRandy based on what I've seen of him so far. Hopefully he'll
not be a prominent part of the show.

33Diva

33Diva

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 17, 2010 @ 8:31 PM

Did the show seem cheaper somehow to anyone else?

kohola3

kohola3

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2010 @ 8:45 PM

Did the show seem cheaper somehow to anyone else?

Hard to tell until it gets rolling. I'm sure the pick the most bizarre things for the previews.

Edited by kohola3, Jul 17, 2010 @ 8:45 PM.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Jul 18, 2010 @ 2:16 AM

The salon looked flashier to me, but I really only got a brief glimpse of it. Anyway, it will be fun to see how a different salon operates.

iggystar

iggystar

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 18, 2010 @ 6:59 AM

It should be fun to see a different take on brides choosing their wedding gowns. :)

Victorian Xmas

Victorian Xmas

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 18, 2010 @ 8:20 AM

I want to see if they will have real southern belles trying on dresses or just people acting like they are a southern belle.

pasdetrois

pasdetrois

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2010 @ 8:24 AM

Me, too. I'm looking forward to the southern version of bridal madness. I wonder if we'll see any hoop skirts. Don't laugh, my Mississippi-born and bred cousin had a Gone With the Wind theme at her 1980s wedding. I also went to a wedding (admittedly decades ago) where the groom wore a confederate uniform and rode up to the church on a horse. Swear to God.

Edited by pasdetrois, Jul 18, 2010 @ 3:03 PM.

emjay1116

emjay1116

Stalker

Posted Jul 18, 2010 @ 1:11 PM

A friend of mine from high school applied to be on the show (she's cute as a button, so I think she'll probably get on. Of course, she's a very nice girl and I can't see there being any drama at all with her so then again maybe not), and I got all excited to see the show.

But if it's going to involve such craziness as pasdetrois described that's just even more awesome! Bring it on. When does it start?

IvyDarling

IvyDarling

Stalker

Posted Jul 18, 2010 @ 3:35 PM

I want to see if they will have real southern belles trying on dresses or just people acting like they are a southern belle.

Despite what I put in the title for the thread, I don't necessarily expect to see real southern belles just by virtue of this show being set in Atlanta. I remember watching True Life: I'm a Southern Belle, and if this show has women on there similar to those on that TL episode, I'd likely find them to be super annoying.

twinmom

twinmom

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2010 @ 3:55 PM

On the plus side, no Pnina Stripper Fairy dresses!

MuppetCoat

MuppetCoat

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 18, 2010 @ 4:27 PM

I also went to a wedding (admittedly decades ago) where the groom wore a confederate uniform and rode up to the church on a horse.

Well, bless their hearts. Reminds me of the time I went to Dixie Stampede in on a school trip to Gatlinburg... (it's like Medieval Times but the Civil War).

I have a feeling there'll be at least one confederacy-type wedding on this show, even if the producers have to pay someone to do it.

rhys7

rhys7

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2010 @ 5:23 PM

Perhaps they brides and their families will be like that one southern group at K's. The women had all worn the great grandma's wedding dress (I think that's correct) but the newest bride broke tradition. The mom and aunt said things like: "isn't that lovely" and translating that southernese to standard English meant, "I don't much care for that dress." That's also when Randy learned to take the word "sexy" out of his vocab.

IvyDarling

IvyDarling

Stalker

Posted Jul 18, 2010 @ 5:28 PM

Perhaps they brides and their families will be like that one southern group at K's. The women had all worn the great grandma's wedding dress (I think that's correct) but the newest bride broke tradition. The mom and aunt said things like: "isn't that lovely" and translating that southernese to standard English meant, "I don't much care for that dress." That's also when Randy learned to take the word "sexy" out of his vocab.

I loved her. If there are brides like her on the show, that would be neat. To be fair to Randy, though--that particular bride used the adjective "sexy" during her consult. While her mother was aghast, Randy was on the mark.

bagatelle1

bagatelle1

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2010 @ 6:15 PM

Their personalities all seem so loud and obnoxious on the previews. They make the Kleinfeld team and their customers seem so refined by comparison.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Jul 19, 2010 @ 9:27 AM

I'm hoping for the modern ATL with all the R & B stars and rappers and RHOA's . They want bling and more bling. Bring on the gaudy!

Decormaven

Decormaven

Fanatic

Posted Jul 19, 2010 @ 10:19 AM

I think Puds38 will get his/her wish. Monied traditional brides in ATL go for Anne Barge, who shows at Guffey's (click on the Formal Studio link for the bridal section.)

Bavct

Bavct

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 21, 2010 @ 10:33 AM

When did Bruce Jenner manage to escape the K-clan and find a job in a bridal shop?

irishlulu

irishlulu

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 21, 2010 @ 11:17 AM

Haaaaahaaaaaaahaaaaaa! Exactly!

kohola3

kohola3

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2010 @ 8:51 PM

OK so the preview is for a bride obsessed with her padded rear end. Very classy.

simpleHope

simpleHope

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 26, 2010 @ 3:50 PM

When did Bruce Jenner manage to escape the K-clan and find a job in a bridal shop?

LOL! Well someone has to support the K-clan. Can't be Kim and Lamar anymore.

kohola3

kohola3

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2010 @ 8:41 PM

Guess I'm a closet southern grandmother because I agreed with both of them. And I'd love to slap Hailey around the block. Very mature to stick out your tongue at your mother. Brat.

rhys7

rhys7

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2010 @ 9:01 PM

Arrrg. If you're old enuf to marry, grow a backbone. Judas priests. And toss the gum, all y'all.

GeorgePBurdell

GeorgePBurdell

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 30, 2010 @ 9:05 PM

It was fun to see a SYTTD in my own language! :)

Haley - oh my, what a special snowflake. Did she seriously say that her butt looked good in that first dress? Which butt was she talking about? I mean, I have no butt either, but I don't harbor any delusions about it. SHE could have used that butt pad from the preview. And could she have tried referring to herself in the FIRST PERSON once? I have to admit that she did look good in the one-shoulder dress. Have we seen that dress on SYTTD North? I'm from the South and I lived in Georgia for 19 years, but I could have used captions whenever her mom chimed in. She sounded like she had a box of rocks in her mouth.

Leah - what an attractive family, but they made me cry for the first time watching SYTTD (darn them!). She looked great in everything. Loved her saying that her grandma gave her the stink-eye. That's what grandmas do, and it takes years to develop the proper grandma stink-eye. How come nobody called their grandma "Memaw," or at least "Mamaw?"

Melissa - looked great in her dress, but I do think I liked the first dress (the lace one) better. I wish it could have been altered so that it covered the girls a little more and we would have had a winner.

All three couples shown tonight were attractive, but could Haley's fiancee have looked any more like a Phi Delt from Auburn?

jerseydevils

jerseydevils

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 30, 2010 @ 9:09 PM

They should change the title of this show to "Will Grandma Say Yes To The Dress?"

Loving those Southern values! Cover everything! :) No stripper fairies here!

bookworm186

bookworm186

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 30, 2010 @ 9:11 PM

I was kinda disappointed by tonight's "sneak peek" episode. The consultants were near non-existent and none of the brides were particularly interesting to me. Although I didn't like the earlier SYTTD NY episode either, so far, I prefer that series.

However, I totally agree about Monte looking like Bruce Jenner. I commented about that to my sister, a Kardashian watcher, when I first saw the Atlanta previews!

Edited by bookworm186, Jul 30, 2010 @ 9:11 PM.

Shnuglet

Shnuglet

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2010 @ 9:47 PM

Ha, Monte is Bruce Jenner with twice the nose.

Hayley was so obnoxious. Those blinding white horse teeth and the bellowing of "Tha' wuz not a Hayley dress!" --ugh. I also didn't get why that one woman saying "the" dress looked like it belonged on the red carpet was such an insult.

JasmineFlower

JasmineFlower

Stalker

Posted Jul 30, 2010 @ 9:52 PM

All three couples shown tonight were attractive, but could Haley's fiancee have looked any more like a Phi Delt from Auburn?

I don't know what a Phi Delt from Auburn looks like, but my gaydar was pinging something serious looking at the pics of Hayley's fiance. For both their sakes, I hope I'm wrong.

I was entertained by Leah's family but not the rest of the episode. And I'm not made of stone, so I did cry. Very touching.

I love the Bruce Jenner comment! I wouldn't have thought about it, but that is dead on.

fostersmom

fostersmom

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2010 @ 10:17 PM

Come on now, how much of a chance could Haley have stood in life? Her mother was ridiculous and the godmother was only slightly less so.

Leah was gorgeous, but I didn't care for most of her dress picks. Could have been everything looked huge on her though. I wasn't impressed with grandma at all. If you can't be pleasant, stay home. You have a beautiful granddaughter who should be happy, but is now feeling like shit. Yay for you, grandma.

Unless Bruce Jenner gets more interesting, I'll probably be skipping this one.

bagatelle1

bagatelle1

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2010 @ 10:43 PM

This new Atlanta show did nothing for me. It was as if Haley had been watching Kleinfeld episodes for years and now was her chance to imitate all the brides she had already seen - except she couldn't feign any real emotion. I don't call her exuberance real emotion; I think she was just really happy to be on TV. I still don't understand how the lady on the phone (her grandmother?) only wanted sleeves and yet was happy that the dress had one strap.

Is this show bumping the original?