Come Dine with Me (BBC America)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

95 replies to this topic

Erie42

Erie42

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 16, 2010 @ 1:21 PM

The first episode of Come Dine With Me aired on BBC America last night, and I didn't see a thread for the show so I thought I would start one.

The first episode was quite promising, and I enjoyed the show a lot. It is definitely very real for a game show with a contrived premise. Who hasn't gone to a dinner party and complained about the host's cooking or use of pre-made ingredients or that everyone else there is insufferable? The contestants were somewhat eccentric but fell within in the range of "ordinary" people rather than crazed famewhore types. I really liked seeing everyone's preparation processes, especially the Filipina woman using premade curry sauce meant to feed fifty. However, it seemed like making sure everyone had a good time sort of crept up on everyone once conflict erupted between sexist man and angel believing psychic girl.

The snarky narrator is a bit much and those who have watched "You Are What You Eat" on BBC America would be familiar with the style. However, I have to admit these contestants might be a little boring without someone making fun of them.

Hope someone else out there liked it!

modge

modge

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 16, 2010 @ 2:39 PM

You might be delighted (or despairing) to hear that in the UK we now have a 'Celebrity' version of this, the latest episode of which featured Janice Dickinson.

In the UK this has gone through a bit of transition - it began as a daytime tv show really (shown at 5pm or so) with one long episode per host, lots of their preparation as well as the party, and the other guests nosing about the host's house. Then they changed it to 30 mins per host, and upped the crazy quotient of the participants. Same narrator, though.

Also, our BB recently had a CDWM themed task and the episode of that was narrated by Dave Lamb from the programme.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2010 @ 4:19 PM

Actually, the episode last night with the Filipina woman was the second episode. There was one on last week which took place in Bath.

They do seems to focus more on the eccentricities and conflict than the food. I also find it strange with on single person doing the party for 3 others, which seems to mean the host spends most of the time in the kitchen (this was certainly the case in the Bath episode). I have to say that I detest the smug narrator, who is making the show close to unwatchable for me.

In the UK this has gone through a bit of transition - it began as a daytime tv show really (shown at 5pm or so) with one long episode per host, lots of their preparation as well as the party, and the other guests nosing about the host's house. Then they changed it to 30 mins per host, and upped the crazy quotient of the participants.

Interesting, here they are cramming all four parties into one hour. Must be a lot of editing.

Edited by Rickster, Jul 16, 2010 @ 4:44 PM.

village

village

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 16, 2010 @ 4:53 PM

The UK version also had the 'all four hosts in a hour' thing. That was fun but short. I like the 30 minutes per host episodes better personally.

I'm curious about the US version because I'm not sure if it will be as funny and quirky as the UK version. Is the narrator the same as the UK version? Dave Lamb? I personally found him hilarious in the UK version. I'm sad that he's not translating in the US version.

Edited by village, Jul 16, 2010 @ 4:59 PM.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2010 @ 4:59 PM

I would assume the narrator is the same guy. He's British. I don't think the would redo the narration for the US but who knows.

I didn't notice his name. I think I've heard him on some other BBCA show though.

Snarky narrators are not a big thing on US TV. I think it's the impression that they are laughing at the competitors that's a turn off (for some).

There are a couple of shows that do it though

Edited by Rickster, Jul 16, 2010 @ 5:07 PM.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2010 @ 5:00 PM

Sorry Double post

Edited by Rickster, Jul 16, 2010 @ 5:02 PM.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2010 @ 5:00 PM

Sorry, Triple Post

Edited by Rickster, Jul 16, 2010 @ 5:01 PM.

Blisters

Blisters

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 16, 2010 @ 5:06 PM

So are the US showing the UK episodes, or is it an American version? The snarky narrator Dave Lamb is my idol. OK, not really but I wish he could narrate my life or something.

Honestly this show... I don't know how I would survive university life without it. It's something of a student phenomenon in the UK, when it started I had no idea it would become so popular. My ultimate favourite week is the celebrity one with Lesley Joseph, Paul Ross and a few others - I can watch those episodes again and again.

(And yes, this week's Janice Dickinson episode was hilarious. When she was going on about how learning Sam Fox was a lesbian had made her a better person I just about died.)

Edited by Blisters, Jul 16, 2010 @ 5:08 PM.

village

village

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 16, 2010 @ 5:28 PM

Snarky narrators are not a big thing on US TV. I think it's the impression that they are laughing at the competitors that's a turn off (for some).

Is it possible that because he's a British person snarking on Americans that it comes across as a lot harsher? I just love him in the UK version but maybe it comes across as less snide and acerbic because he's making fun of his fellow countrymen and women?

Canada is also making a version of the show and I'd absolutely love if he narrated it. I can't imagine the show without hearing his little asides in the background.

I think you should check out a few of the UK episodes. He might work a lot better for you there.

I'm going to try and find episodes of this series. I don't have BBC America but now I'm really curious how it's all been put together. The food aspect is my second favourite thing, so I hope they're not completely putting it off to the side to display personalities.

modge

modge

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 16, 2010 @ 5:33 PM

I assumed that the mention of an episode in Bath meant they were showing the original UK series on BBC America (which, I think mainly shows British programmes?) Maybe Lamb's narration is just very "English" in manner, he certainly does bring the snark.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Jul 16, 2010 @ 10:13 PM

I'm confused because there already was a US version of this. I recall watching it one (I think) the Style network a few years back. I saw the episode last week. I loved the African woman's reaction to the guy's cat eating the appetizers and not only did he repair and serve it anyway, but they kept looking for cat hairs the rest of the night. Her laughing in the car was priceless.

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

• Interests:Scrabble, modern design, crosswords, collecting handbags, reading mysteries and procrastinating.

Posted Jul 16, 2010 @ 10:52 PM

The snarky narrator Dave Lamb is my idol. OK, not really but I wish he could narrate my life or something.

Ditto. He is the glue that keeps this loony show together. He's brilliantly funny.

If they are airing the UK version, it's brilliant. I am insanely addicted to it. They air it in Canada on the W Network. The single hour episodes (w/ 4 guests) are good but I prefer the week long ones w/ 5 guests. More insanity! More hilarity! More endless dinner parties!

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2010 @ 6:40 AM

Just to clarify, BBC America is airing the UK show, not a remake with American participants. The first episode was set in Bath and the second in Swindon. The show is an hour long (including commercials, which usually means it's edited down from the version aired in the UK) and has 4 participants.

modge

modge

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 17, 2010 @ 9:15 AM

Thanks for the clarification, Rickster!

The single hour episodes (w/ 4 guests) are good but I prefer the week long ones w/ 5 guests. More insanity! More hilarity! More endless dinner parties

I totally agree. I think the week long/5 guest versions were the pre-primetime series and I love seeing them prep in full/going shopping etc. I love that they never shop in a supermarket but go to some artisan butcher/baker/grocer and have a BFF conversation about the food with the confused shop-owner who has clearly never met them before. My favourite one of these eps featured a lady who ordered the entire meal from a local restaurant, had them deliver each course secretly through the kitchen window and then served it on her own kitchenware. She spent all the 'preparation' time doing things to make it look as though she had been cooking and then bluffed her way through the meal. There was another great one where one of the guests scored people deliberately low (as in 1s/2s) and was made to re-score at the end of the week, sneaky!

Edited by modge, Jul 17, 2010 @ 9:16 AM.

Blisters

Blisters

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 17, 2010 @ 11:19 AM

There was another great one where one of the guests scored people deliberately low (as in 1s/2s) and was made to re-score at the end of the week, sneaky!

I loved that woman so much.

I love that they never shop in a supermarket but go to some artisan butcher/baker/grocer and have a BFF conversation about the food with the confused shop-owner who has clearly never met them before.

This is the funniest part of the show for me, especially when they are on a first name basis with each other. Especially when they go to the market and have a massive chat, no one has that friendly a conversation in a market! No one would ever DARE serve something with an ingredient from Tesco.

I think one of my favourites was the week set in Cardiff, with the woman who claimed to be a psychic and owned a B&B. Her refusal to sit and have dinner with the rest of them at the end of the week was hilarious.

How have we not had this thread before now?

Rammchick

Rammchick

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 17, 2010 @ 2:02 PM

I'm finding this show hilarious and I adore the sarky narration. Don't like that the contestants nose about in people's homes while they're cooking, though -- that would royally piss me off, were it my house. And I also loved how (at least from the first 2 episodes), there's always one food snob (a man, in both cases so far) who has pre-determined he'll be fed a pile of crap by someone who doesn't know how to cook. Watching said gourmand then have some sort of culinary disaster just brings the schadenfreude ;)

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

• Interests:Scrabble, modern design, crosswords, collecting handbags, reading mysteries and procrastinating.

Posted Jul 17, 2010 @ 4:07 PM

Ha! I haven't seen either of those two modge. I'm not surprised they go to these artisan/local places as they get a budget for buying ingredients right? I think it's 200. It makes sense as they always seems to have champagne to begin. I'd be splashing out too. Plus an extra bottle for the host for later!

What I never understand are these guests who are unforgivably rude and critical about everyone and everything through the week and they are inevitably one of the last to host. Don't they realize the others are going to be out for blood? Plus, I just don't understand the rudeness at all. I couldn't be that rude unless I was terribly provoked. Even then, I'd probably just bite my lip.

One of the most memorable groups for me was the 5 guest one in London with those two very snobby guests. One gay guy who lived at home and one posh girl who wore a turban. They were horribly rude to the woman from Iran who ended up kicking everyone's ass with her incredible meal. But I just hated them all except for her by the end. The two snobs, the irrationally angry guy and the pretentious food writer. Oy.

village

village

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 17, 2010 @ 7:29 PM

Just to clarify, BBC America is airing the UK show, not a remake with American participants. The first episode was set in Bath and the second in Swindon. The show is an hour long (including commercials, which usually means it's edited down from the version aired in the UK) and has 4 participants.

Oh, okay. The BBC America thing threw me off. I thought it was a new program because the UK version has been going on for so long now.

What I never understand are these guests who are unforgivably rude and critical about everyone and everything through the week and they are inevitably one of the last to host. Don't they realize the others are going to be out for blood? Plus, I just don't understand the rudeness at all. I couldn't be that rude unless I was terribly provoked. Even then, I'd probably just bite my lip.

I don't get that either, not just because it's incredibly rude and inappropriate but because they do always seem to be the last to entertain. It's like they're asking to lose.

I always inevitably get grossed out watching the show though. Just the things people do in their kitchen. And the pets. The cats walking on the counters. It's just no. lol.

sloopster

sloopster

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 17, 2010 @ 11:16 PM

I stumbled across this at some point, have seen 2 episodes. Both featured a snooty guest, an "ethnic" guest (I guess that's a good a term as any), and a cuckoo guest. I am wondering if they all follow this pattern. I'm enjoying it immensely, especially the snarky narrator!

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Jul 18, 2010 @ 12:51 AM

Okay after a bit of googling I think I've got the confusion figured out.

There's the UK Come Dine with Me currently airing on BBCA here in the US.

But there was also a US version that aired in 2006 on TLC called Dinner Takes All.

And apparently there is another US version of Come Dine with Me in the works being produced by BBC.

The African lady I referred to in my previous post was on the current BBC version that aired on BBCA 2weeks ago.

Edited by Puds38, Jul 18, 2010 @ 12:55 AM.

methespy

methespy

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 18, 2010 @ 1:41 PM

I absolutely adore this show. I wish BBC America would air it daily though. It seems like there have been a ton of series shown in the UK already, so they would have plenty to burn off. I think this just might be my favorite "new" show this Summer.

mabemi

mabemi

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 22, 2010 @ 5:27 PM

We were in the UAE for the Christmas holiday and got hooked on this show. I am so happy BBC America picked this up. Dave Lamb is hilarious. I enjoy his snark more than I should. Some of the older episodes are on youtube. I have just two words: Dawn Barry.

Edited by mabemi, Jul 22, 2010 @ 5:29 PM.

trippyhop

trippyhop

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 22, 2010 @ 6:17 PM

God, I LOVE the Dawn Berry episode (well, the whole Preston week in general). I am a bit bummed that BBCA is only showing the omnibus version of Come Dine With Me, but with me feeling my London withdrawal majorly, this is a wonderful treat for me.

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

Posted Jul 23, 2010 @ 1:55 AM

Preston! Oh, that's a classic. Dawn's Dinner was hysterical. I still can't believe all that went on with those 5. It was pure lunacy.

stinkymcgee

stinkymcgee

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2010 @ 8:44 AM

The snarky narrator Dave Lamb is my idol. OK, not really but I wish he could narrate my life or something.

Ditto. He is the glue that keeps this loony show together. He's brilliantly funny.

I'm torn. I think he's hilarious, but I also think there's a bit much narration. There are often times when Lamb's snark is wedged so tightly between bits of the guests' conversation, it's as though he's talking over top of them. Also, when the guests are taking shots at each other, it feels like overkill to have the narrator in swinging as well. I much prefer the scenes when someone says something atrocious, there's a pregnant pause, and then Lamb says a clipped "oh dear."

JR Labrador

JR Labrador

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2010 @ 12:46 PM

Finally caught an episode of this. Are the contestants always this bitchy? (Speaking of which, I'm so glad that Sharon ended up dead last).

Edited by JR Labrador, Jul 23, 2010 @ 12:46 PM.

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

Posted Jul 23, 2010 @ 5:32 PM

Oh yeah. It's amazing how rude they are to people they've only just met. It astounds me every single time. I think they go in with the idea that they are straight-talking, no nonsense people and why should they change just for a bunch of strangers. It's also amazing how quickly everyone judges each other after a couple of hours. And these impressions tend to stick for the entire week.

inny

inny

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 23, 2010 @ 10:37 PM

I think I kinda love this show, right down to the snarky narrator. It's like watching tv with a TWOPer. After learning that there is a longer version out there, I hope BBCA picks it up. 5x the snark can only be good, right?

Now I'm off to find the celeb UK version so I can see Janice friggin Dickinson in all of her dinner party guest glory. Please tell me alcohol is involved...

Edit: Because if you're going to make fun of someone, you should at least spell their name correctly.

Edited by inny, Jul 24, 2010 @ 11:12 AM.

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

Posted Jul 24, 2010 @ 3:28 AM

I'm looking forward to the Janice Dickinson one. Alcohol must come into play, it's usually the 5th or 6th guest at these dinner parties. And worse still, Callum Best is on that one. He is such a tool. Should be spectacularly awful. Although, it cannot possibly rival the Celeb one with Michael Barrymore. That was jaw-dropping. I still cannot believe what went on in it.

hannahsweetie

hannahsweetie

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 24, 2010 @ 3:40 AM

Oh god, I forgot about the Barrymore one! He really is a nutter.

I LOVE this programme. The Preston week is definitely my favourite (I'm from there, I swear we're not all like that) but I also like the London one that was mentioned upthread, with that horrible little snob in the turban and Amy Winehouse eyeliner.