Comparative Toons & Anime: What Are You Watching?

• Please log in to reply

628 replies to this topic

Sandman87

Sandman87

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 12:03 AM

Lately I'm watching Haiyore! Nyaruko-san, which is the TV sequel to the Flash based web animation Haiyoru! Nyaruani. Actually, the TV show is slightly less insane than the Flash series, so it's almost like the web episodes are the omake of the TV episodes. Anyway, it's based on the writings on H. P. Lovecraft, and it's a romantic comedy. The premise is that an Ordinary Teenage Boy is the love interest of a scatterbrained Eldritch Abomination disguised as a teenage girl. Hilarity ensues. Some motivators.

childeroland

childeroland

Channel Surfer

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 10:16 AM

I don't usually like horror anime that much, but Sankarea has a nicely creepy take on the magical girlfriend and on star-crossed lovers.

Edited by childeroland, May 6, 2012 @ 10:19 AM.

InternalParadox

InternalParadox

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 1:09 AM

I'm doing something I never thought I'd do...I stopped watching The Daily Show and The Colbert Report in order to watch something else at 11pm weeknights. I started watching Teen Titans on Boomerang, which is much better than I ever gave it credit for (I only ever caught a few episodes here and there, because I lived mostly without TV in the mid-aughts). The characters are all so well developed, even comic relief Beast Boy, and the show goes from light and amusing to deep and disturbing, depending on the episode.

The episode that had the biggest impact on me thus far is "Haunted," which just blew me away with its depiction of PTSD. Teen Titans portrays psychological ramifications of fighting on both the sufferer and his friends better than most shows for adults do (not saying much, I know).

It's interesting to watch it and Young Justice and note the differences...talk about taking a different approach with the same characters! Well, at least Dick Greyson and Beast Boy, as most of the other kids haven't appeared on YJ yet.

Sandman87

Sandman87

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 4:45 AM

Yeah, Teen Titans is a lot of fun. So many cool/funny moments in the show, and all reasonably well written. I never get tired of Starfire's "fish out of water" moments.

It took me a while to catch on to the fact that you can tell whether it's going to be a serious or wacky episode by whether or not the theme song is sung in Japanese. And then there's Cyborg's version of it.

Crim

Crim

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 5:56 AM

I've started on Legend of Korra but I'm underwhelmed. Despite the fact that Korra is older than the original cast, I found the show childish in a really grating way. I don't remember ever being this irritated with the original.

Gearing up for Saki Side A.

Edited by Crim, May 7, 2012 @ 6:00 AM.

childeroland

childeroland

Channel Surfer

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 5:46 AM

Enjoying When Cicadas Cry, which is a lot like a cartoon Higuchinsky or Kōji Shiraishi horror film.

the fresh maker

the fresh maker

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 6:53 PM

And then there's Cyborg's version of it.

And Larry's version. :)

I'd forgotten Cyborg had jammed out to it!

Edited by the fresh maker, May 9, 2012 @ 6:53 PM.

Ryan227

Ryan227

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 3:04 AM

I recently picked up a few Funimation series on blu-ray. I just finished Casshern Sins. I liked it but I felt it got very strange near the end, also it got really depressing at times. The whole time watching it though I kept thinking "This really would have been good on Adult Swim!" I don't know if it would have gotten good ratings for them but it would have fit well with the types of shows they used to show...

Next up for me is probably the first season of Sengoku Basara.

weyrbunny

weyrbunny

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 2:24 PM

My two cents: I rejected Sengoku Basara after a handful of eps., because it was just one repetitive battle/duel after another (like the video game, I'll guess). I Googled it just now and the reviews use the word "simple" repeatedly. My word choice would be more pejorative...I hope that you find it more engaging, at least.

Seeing Summer Wars put me in the mood for more anime about modern families, so I rewatched an old Studio Ghibli favorite: Whisper of the Heart. (I prefer its Japanese title: If You Listen Closely). It's a very sweet coming-of-age story from the mid/early 90's...a kids movie, I suppose, but an emotionally intelligent one. I noticed for the first time that the movie includes several Alice in Wonderland tropes, making it even more endearing.

childeroland

childeroland

Channel Surfer

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 5:17 PM

Just finished Okamisan. It's nice to see for once an all powerful school club that is not wholly annoying. Escapes that because it is so hilariously self-aware, not unlike the great Suzumiya Haruhi.

Sandman87

Sandman87

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 4:12 AM

A couple of weeks worth of anime motivators scattered around this page and this page.

Still so many new shows and old shows that I want to watch, but not enough time to do it. I gave up on Naruto Shippuden a while ago. It just didn't feel like it was going anywhere, or maybe just going there too slowly. Maybe I'll go back to it some day.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 1:39 AM

I kept meaning to do this, but I put it off, so this might be a little late for some of you . . .

NEW EPISODES ON SATURDAY: Thundercats, Green Lantern: The Animated Series and Young Justice on Cartoon Network starting at 9:30 a.m. Eastern (along with the "DC Nation" shorts)

REVIVAL OF TOONAMI BLOCK: debuts of Deadman Wonderland and Casshern Sins -- along with what I'm guessing wll be a new Bleach episode[/i] on Adult Swim

NO NEW EPISODES OF SUNDAY: Ultimate Spider-Man and Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes on Disney XD

BTW, when any of you hear "Deadman Wonderland," do you also think of Boston Brand trying to escape the likes of the Queen of Hearts?

ETA: Since there's no thread on "Marvel Mash-Ups" . . . what do you guys think? I'm amused, especially with the two parodies of the X-Men episode from Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends. From what I've heard, Wolverine actually was saddled with an Aussie accent. Also: Kitty's crappy costume and Thunderbird randomly turning into a bear. Good times . . . I guess.

Edited by Lantern7, May 26, 2012 @ 1:42 AM.

childeroland

childeroland

Channel Surfer

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 9:43 AM

The Legend of the Legendary Heroes. Mood whiplash-y even though it starts fairly light.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 12:23 PM

I'm heading to AnimeNEXT this weekend . . . or at least commuting back and forth. Last year, somebody recommended watching Summer Wars, and I was impressed. This time, I'm thinking of seeing the live-action Cromartie High School move and the new FMA flick. Here's the three-day schedule, with movies on the bottom. What else should I check out?

Daisy Wolf

Daisy Wolf

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 2:25 PM

Do we know when exactly they are going to start showing Deadman Wonderland? I've seen it but I'd like to see it again on my big screen!

Also, I don't think I've seen it mentioned here for a while, they have announced most of the English VAs for a dub of Tiger & Bunny.

http://www.crunchyro...voices-revealed

Edited by Daisy Wolf, Jun 4, 2012 @ 2:26 PM.

Bleu

Bleu

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 2:33 PM

Daisy Wolf, Deadman Wonderland started airing on the 26th.

the fresh maker

the fresh maker

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 2:37 PM

Lantern7, The Sacred Star of Milos is very good. It's awesomely gory though, if depictions of violence bother you.

I own The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (haven't watched it yet), and it's by the same director as Summer Wars. It's an earlier film.

Perfect Blue is a Satoshi Kon film (Paranoia Agent). I love Kon's work, so it's definitely my thing. If you're into psychologically trippy stuff, you'll probably like it, too.

Not a film but a series: House of Five Leaves is an interesting character study of an insecure-yet-talented ronin who gets involved with a group of smugglers.

Edited by the fresh maker, Jun 4, 2012 @ 2:38 PM.

Ryan227

Ryan227

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 11:41 PM

House of Five Leaves is very good and the manga is even better, I totally recommend it.

I finished Sengoku Basara a while ago. I liked it, it was dumb but fun and pretty hilarious when I tried to compare it with real history.

Right now I'm watching Gundam 00; for as long as I've watched anime I've wanted to finish a Gundam series but I could never get in to it, I've only managed a few episodes of Turn A and SEED when it was shown on CN. But I think I might actually finish this one, I was bored at first but around the fifth episode it starts to pick up.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 12:00 AM

Deadman Wonderland is having it's third episode next saturday on toonami on cartoon network. There is already a thread for the show.

Also Casshern Sins is on the toonami block and will also be showing it's third episode.

Both series the violence is unedited.

Deadman Wonderland has beeps but they make it way more hilarious. [snip]

Edited by TWoP Howard, Jun 8, 2012 @ 8:19 PM.
Tone

weyrbunny

weyrbunny

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 12:29 PM

I just watched FMA: Sacred Star of Milos a couple weeks ago and was surprised to be underwhelmed. It has creative action sequences and the story fits well with the series--it's a mini-arc of eps., really--but it was somehow...unpolished.

Also, it took Funimation effin' forever to post the rest of Red Garden, but they finally did, and I've finished it! It's excellent. In retrospect though, it's less about teens fighting monsters and more about them coming to terms with their mortality and learning to take responsibility for their lives (their literal lives sometimes, since there are still those monsters to fight). I was just so impressed by the character's emotional complexity, and my theory is now that the story is also a rumination on illness. I was reminded in multiple eps of a book from a few years ago--can't find the name--about how our society expects people to respond to cancer or terminal illness cheerfully or by putting on a brave face, when the natural response is grief, anger, and depression. That the show actually delves into the psychology of these things, makes it a rarity, I think.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 12:40 PM

Like I said . . . surprised the CW hasn't looked into developing Red Garden as an American series.

From Topless Robot: The 10 Best Mustaches in Comics and Manga History. Japan gets four entries, including the top spot. One question: what do you think would happen if Whitebeard and Alex-Louis Armstrong were to battle? I'm thinking an explosion made up of ten dimensions purely of awesomeness. And sparkles.

blank stare

blank stare

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 6:42 PM

This time, I'm thinking of seeing the live-action Cromartie High School move and the new FMA flick.

I'm interested in your opinion about the Cromartie movie. I liked the anime but stayed away from the movie since I wasn't sure about it being live-action. As for other videos to check out, I'm tossing in another vote for House of Leaves and Hellsing Ultimate is much better than the Hellsing series.

they have announced most of the English VAs for a dub of Tiger & Bunny.

I keep imagining Sky High talking like Isshin Kurosaki and it's odd but I'll need to hear it before judging.

Sandman87

Sandman87

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 2:07 AM

Yeah, Hellsing Ultimate is good, but gory. Very, very gory. The omake segments are hilarious.

That mustache article is suspiciously lacking. They don't even mention Genryusai Yamamoto, Black Jack Tarr, or Turner D. Century.

Lately I've been watching Mahoromatic. It's kind of an odd hybrid type. On the one hand, it's one of those fanservice laden "fish out of water" romantic comedies, similar to DearS and Chobits. On the other hand, it's also a story about a retired badass who can't get away from the former job, plus some tragic elements. The premise: A dying combat android decides to live out her final year working as a maid for her late commander's orphaned son, partly to seek non-violent meaning in her life, and partly
Spoiler
. Hilarity, fights, and boobs ensue. Sometimes all at the same time:
Spoiler

ETA: Almost forgot to mention that a couple of the Mahoromatic characters look like relatives of Gendo and Asuka from Evangelion. Might be deliberate, since it's a Gainax production.

Edited by Sandman87, Jun 6, 2012 @ 3:22 AM.

childeroland

childeroland

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 8, 2012 @ 5:40 PM

Blessing of the Campanella

Fun sci-fi with a harem element that doesn't get in the way too much (though I haven't seen the OVA). Loved the musical cues from the .hack anime series, though I don't know if they are original to those series.

Sandman87

Sandman87

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2012 @ 4:08 AM

The season finale of Kore wa Zombie Desu ka didn't really wrap anything up, so I suspect there's another season or three coming down the road. There's also an OVA scheduled for release in October.

I checked out an odd little OVA from last year named Spelunker Sensei (official English title: Spelunker is a Teacher). It's a bunch of vignettes based on a 4-panel comic, which in turn is based on a cult classic video game that has a reputation in Japan for being insanely hard, mainly because the player character dies from everything. In the OVA he's become a teacher. He dies a lot, sort of like a turbocharged version of Kenny from South Park. The soundtrack music sounds a lot like video game music, and the opening credits theme is sung entirely in side-splittingly awful gratuitous English. Definitely worth a listen.

More motivators for various shows on this page and this one.

ETA: On the current Space Brothers, I figured out the answer to the question
Spoiler
within about 10 seconds. Or at least I think I figured it out.
Spoiler

Edited by Sandman87, Jun 13, 2012 @ 10:56 AM.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jun 16, 2012 @ 1:55 PM

Quick report on AnimeNEXT last weekend: it was fun. Worst part was the insane way you had to get to the dealers' room: going outside and getting back into the building. Also, I think that I miss out on not staying at a hotel here as opposed to commutin back and forth (half-hour from home), because they had so much crap going on at night. Still, it was a very chill con . . . and with the weather being nice, lots of people laid outside soaking in the sunlight. Here are the first forty pics I took, with the rest getting uploaded later. Also . . .

FMA: Sacred Star of Milos: Dozed off midway through, though I chalk that up to all the walking I did, as opposed to it being boring. Good story idea, but I think Conqueror Of Shamballa was better.

Cromartie High School (or whatever the heck it's called in the original Japanese): it did work in live-action, but the full-on insanity works better as anime or manga. Really, you can't just get a buff dude, put him in suspenders and call him "Freddie." As CHS otaku would expect, it's mostly the absurd vignettes from the source media strung along into a movie. Also, I don't think there were any women involved.

ETA: I also got six sketches last weekend. Four of them are from Japan, a fifth could have been inspired by manga. BTW, I've been on the One Piece thread, trying to figure out how to merge Straw Hats with American comic characters. So far, I got Usopp/Deadshot, Sanji/Batorc and Franky/Cyborg. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Edited by Lantern7, Jun 16, 2012 @ 2:01 PM.

Sandman87

Sandman87

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2012 @ 10:31 AM

I finished up with Mahoromatic. Things got a bit more serious later on, and the last episode...well, you can tell that it's a Gainax show.
Spoiler
Now I just have to decide what to do with the mountain of screenshots that I took.

Now I'm watching Chihayafuru, a sports anime about competitive kurata (card game). You've probably seen characters playing regular kurata in some show or other (
Spoiler
had a similar game in one episode not too long ago), but the regular game is to the competitive version as T-ball is to major league baseball. I thought the show was exaggerating how hellishly demanding a game it is, but after looking it up I realized that they were understating it a little: Intense concentration, split second bursts of hyper-athleticism, insane amounts of memorization, and so on. Anyway, the show is also part high school romance, and centers around the school's new karuta club that one of the protagonists has formed. Romance and sports things ensue. So far the characters manage to avoid cliches enough to be interesting, and the game itself seems fascinating to me.

Daisy Wolf

Daisy Wolf

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 18, 2012 @ 10:45 AM

I need to plug Kids on the Slope now that the first season is almost over (actually I'm not sure whether it's going to be self contained at 12-13 eps or continue). But it's really wonderful. I was very moved by the last couple of episodes. This is an interesting slice-of-life style series set in the mid 1960's in a seaside town in Japan. Interesting for its time and setting, it also focuses on the rise of popularity of jazz and pop music in that period. The protagonists are three high school students (two guys and a girl), and although they are archetypes, they are very well developed. There's love triangles, music and coming of age stuff, all done beautifully, with beautiful, high-quality art and direction. If you like slice-of-life, reality based anime, I highly recommend this. It's streaming on Crunchyroll.

Lead Magnet

Lead Magnet

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2012 @ 10:37 AM

Kids on the Slope is going to be one season only, so it'll be done after 12 or 13 episodes.

And yes, it is good to watch.

blank stare

blank stare

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 19, 2012 @ 11:54 PM

I had high expectations for Kids on the Slope and I'm loving every moment of it. The characters are enjoyable and the music is fantastic.
Spoiler
at the school festival still makes me ridiculously happy.

it did work in live-action, but the full-on insanity works better as anime or manga.

I figured the live version would be lacking when compared to the anime but at least it doesn't sound like it was awful.