Comparative Toons & Anime: What Are You Watching?

• Please log in to reply

627 replies to this topic

Bleu

Bleu

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2012 @ 7:47 PM

Thank you for the reassurance, I will give it a try.

For the love in shows topic, there's also Sailor Moon. The main romance does eventually stabilize for a couple of seasons.

Sandman87

Sandman87

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2012 @ 10:40 PM

Sandman what is the Karin anime like?

I haven't read the manga, so I don't know how it might be different. The anime was high school romantic comedy stuff with a vampire angle, and a reasonably happy ending after everyone defeats a mean old vampire hunter. I liked it.

InternalParadox

InternalParadox

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2012 @ 2:27 AM

Crunchyroll is going to host the show Puella Magi Madoka Magica!!!

Madoka has had such positive hype around it since it was released last year. It's some sort of dark, creative take on the magical girls genre that has been impressing all kinds of anime fans. I've been trying to avoid spoilers, but I've been hoping that I'd get some chance to watch it legally...

I gave Bodacious Space Pirates another try, and it really got interesting in episode 5 which was a tension-filled battle in which brains and decision making mattered more than anything else. It's great to see a group of girls portrayed as smart and capable in anime, and Marika is one smart cookie. Episode 6 was a blast! I think I'll stick with the show for a while.

Sandman, the ending of the anime is different from the manga, but not necessarily in a bad way. I want to check it out!

Daisy Wolf

Daisy Wolf

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2012 @ 1:37 PM

I am a total Crunchyroll fan. With a paid account, the streaming quality is excellent. I've been watching Natsume Yujincho which I have always loved; and Another, which is a kind of creepy, horror type story (only 12 eps, based on light novels I think). It's really kind of ridiculous, but it does establish an uneasy atmosphere and in the middle interesting things start to really happen. It definitely creates an atmosphere of dread. I'm not expecting it to knock my socks off, but it is entertaining enough.

They're still streaming a number of older series, so if you missed anything you want to find, go check out their list.

Ryan227

Ryan227

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 16, 2012 @ 11:09 AM

Just yesterday I was searching for something else to watch and I started The Daily Lives of High School Boys which is actually really good and funny too.

I don't think Sakamichi no Apollon is going to be BL at all, I think it's going to be more of a two guys in love with one girl thing. I've seen the manga around, I've been meaning to read it.

olvidado

olvidado

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2012 @ 8:50 AM

Photon: The Idiot Adventures
Immortal Grand Prix
Baccano

the fresh maker

the fresh maker

Fanatic

Posted Feb 18, 2012 @ 5:25 PM

The first few eps relied a little too much on other characters not telling the main character things because "it's not the right time," which generally seems to be mystery-series code for 'the author couldn't think of a good reason for these characters not to talk to each other.'

Thinking back on the first few episodes, I find it actually works here and doesn't feel like "withholding information just be withholding information." It's logical in the minds of these junior high kids. Kouichi meets Misaki in the first few minutes of the first ep. No one can tell him not to talk to her because that would be admitting she actually exists. Once they've decided they have to treat him as non-existent, too, they can send him to her for the information.

Yeah, the premise is over-the-stop, but I'm enjoying it for being the quiet horror that it is. It evokes great atmospheres of foreboding and resignation, and as I said, I think the kids' behaviors and reactions are believable. Mizuno's death actually pissed me off!

As for the mystery of "Who is dead?" It can't be the boy with the glasses or Teshigawa (?--the jock). They're neighbors, and they've been classmates since they were in second grade. If one of them had died, the other would know about it. ETA: According to the "curse," one would have forgotten if the other had died. But I'm ruling both of them out for now. I doubt it's the girl Kouichi saved from the glass pane falling on her. She almost had a near-death experience, and she's been a minor character so far. I also don't think it can be Misaki. We've already had the "is she a ghost?" fake out. The show wants us to question Kouichi. Kouichi may even start questioning himself, but he's going to the hospital for checkups--he has vital signs.

My candidate is the artist who did the Munch-style lemon painting. I don't remember exactly what he said about it, but it was as if the lemon were trapped in the craziness of the world. It sounds like a perspective of alienation and isolation a wandering soul might have. Also, while the other kids might become fearful or anxious when they're worried the charm might be broken, his reactions are always over-the-top afraid. His reactions would be a nice way to take the focus off of him.
Any guesses?

Edited by the fresh maker, Feb 18, 2012 @ 5:41 PM.

Klitch

Klitch

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 6:12 PM

Re: the mystery in Another, my guess would be that the dead person is probably someone in the ending credits (though I have to give the show props for having a unique character design for nearly every one of Kouichi's classmates so no one really stands out in a big way -- except Misaki, who I agree we can probably count out). I'm thinking either the artist kid or the twin-tails girl who was supposed to be head of countermeasures, since she mentioned that her being absent the first day meant no one stopped Kouichi from talking with Misaki. Since the dead person doesn't know they're dead, maybe she was subconsciously trying to sabotage the class countermeasures?

I really hope it's not Kouichi, I feel like that would just be too easy. I think there's something weird going on with his aunt, though, especially after this week when they were discussing Kouichi's mom's death and the grandfather said "My poor Reiko, too." Plus the creepy bird that keeps saying "Why, Rei-chan?" I wonder if the curse really did stop mid-year in her class.

the fresh maker

the fresh maker

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 7:20 PM

Kiltch, I think Reiko's traumatized. I think it stopped during her year because the another was killed/destroyed, and she had something to do with it. The bird could simply be repeating what the another said to her before it was destroyed.

I think Izumi (twin tails) is a prime candidate to die, but I'm now strongly considering her as the another, too. There's an Akazawa listed on the 1996 roster. He died that year, and his address is the same as Izumi's. So he was probably her brother. If he died in 1996, then she could have, too.

Kouichi is definitely out as the another. Being in India, his father is outside of the calamity's range. He wouldn't be calling up his dead son. The only time he's affected is when he's been on the cell phone with Kouichi for a while, which is why he suddenly said "my mistake" after recalling Kouichi had been in Yomiyama recently.

Bleu

Bleu

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 4:07 PM

Bodacious Pirates pleases me, so thanks for the recommendation. A solidly good scifi show with solid, interesting, important female characters and humor that isn't annoying and I actually enjoy. I will miss the characters we got to know in the first five episodes, especially Jenny and Lynn, so I hope we see them again somehow. Also it was a bit annoying that piracy turned out to be a kind of show, but I'll be fine with that if we get some grittier stuff later on. Preferably no grimdark stuff though. Besides the general competence levels and interestingness of Marika and Chiaki, I also love Ririka's advice and response to Marika's declaration, the respect the characters seem to have for each other, and that horned guy immediately cutting off any 'living in the shadow of parent' nonsense.

Edited by Bleu, Feb 20, 2012 @ 4:08 PM.

Daisy Wolf

Daisy Wolf

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 2:07 PM

More Another speculation/comments:

This show sure delivers the gore. I have gasped a few times, the teacher's suicide was actually extremely horrible. I am guessing that twin-tails is not the Another, but that she is likely to bite it on the upcoming "field trip" (which seems like such an hiliariously ill-advised adventure, I can't wait); I agree the painting boy might be a candidate, though he doesn't seem important enough quite yet. Kouichi actually being dead did seem like where they were going; I liked how twin-tails girl freaked him out with her speculation (he is pretty easy to spook anyway!)--l've been wondering why they had to begin the story with him in the hospital; and there is something up with his forgotten memories of living in Yomiyama, but those could just be red herrings. I think the show has been pretty good about setting up the mystery and delivering on the horrible events, anyway.

Sandman87

Sandman87

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 10:06 PM

Based on what I've read here I decided to watch the first 6 episodes of Moretsu Space Pirates. I have rather mixed feelings about it, probably because I had a strong interest in all things piratical back in grade school, and thus am constantly going "no, that's wrong" during the show. And perhaps a better title would be Moretsu Heavily Armed Dinner Theater Troupe, at least so far. OTOH the characters are interesting, the mechanical design is very good, and the silliness at least has the virtue of being different from other shows' silliness. I'm particularly amused by the gallons and gallons of beer and wine being consumed by some of the characters, and I'm waiting for some of them to have epic hangovers.

olvidado

olvidado

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 4:33 AM

Still enjoying Immortal Grand Prix.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 10:10 AM

Why wouldn't you? I saw that waaaaaay back when it aired on Cartoon Network's "Toonami" block. Mech racing, sponsor drama, romance (but not too much), and a cat that can get hooked up to mech and talk . . . what's not to like?

Sandman87

Sandman87

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 2:41 AM

Now that's why I hang around here. Every now and then someone mentions an old show that I've never heard of, and I have to go check it out.

Also, some Moretsu Pirates motivators.

Bleu

Bleu

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 8:03 PM

I appreciate the callback to Sailor Moon, including that it's mostly visual/background information that could have been anything else. I also like that we'll see the other girls next episode, according to the previews. Well, last episode, since nonmembers see the episode a week after it's on the site.

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 8:35 PM

After watching JesuOtaku's Digimon Tamers retrospective on the TGWTG site, I've been watch watching it with English subtitles on Hulu.

The Subtitles are of... interesting quality. I can't vouch for the translations, themselves, but there are times where entire lines of dialogue are subtitle free, and I've noticed a few spelling errors.

I actually think the English dub made a lot of thing even more terrifying than they were in the original, especially in episode 14 with the activation of Juggernaut.

JesuOtaku's retrospective also had a tear jerker and what I can only describe as a nightmare fuel counter. Neither of which survive the retrospective.

Sandman87

Sandman87

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 3:35 AM

Still following Moretsu Pirates. What the heck is that hood ornament on Misa's car supposed to look like?

Also, the recent special episode of Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei is just as nuts as the rest of the franchise.

Motivators.

Daisy Wolf

Daisy Wolf

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 11:00 AM

The current season of Nastume Yuujincho [Shin] streaming on Crunchyroll has some of the best arcs/episodes yet. I can't get enough of this series, I really hope they keep going with it--the episodes are pretty much keeping pace with the English release of the manga, and I'm wondering how much more there is of it that hasn't been translated yet.

I'm watching Samurai Champloo for the first time; I'm not sure how I missed it before, it's wonderful.

With my kids I am watching Gurren Lagaan; it sure is nonstop action and very excitable, but I can't help noticing how cheap and crappy the art is.

Sandman87

Sandman87

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 1:33 PM

Lately I've been watching Kimi ni Todoke. It's a shojo series (yeah, yeah, I know...) about an awkward, insecure, shy girl trying to fit in at high school. And it doesn't help things any that she has unsettling staring eyes, a breathy "spooky" voice, and a physical resemblance to Sadako from The Ring. Both comedy and tear jerker moments ensue.

Some motivators.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 7:54 PM

I'm swapping to the "toons" in the title . . . is anybody out there watching Transformers Prime on The Hub? The second season has started, and the stories have been interesting so far. The current one involves Bumblebee and erectile dysfunction. Okay, so he had his transforming cog swiped, and he can't changed into his alt-mode, but I feel it's a metaphor for guy problems. I just don't want to be the only guy posting on the show's thread.

ETA: I make a big deal about Transformers Prime, and what happens? Right . . . I missed the latest episode, and it won't rerun for a week. Now I gotta look for it "On Demand." While I'm here . . . here are sketches I got of characters from One Piece (here and here), FLCL, Pokemon, Naruto and Yu-Gi-Oh! G/X.

Edited by Lantern7, Mar 18, 2012 @ 12:45 AM.

Sandman87

Sandman87

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 3:29 AM

A few more Kimi ni Todoke motivators.

weyrbunny

weyrbunny

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 3:01 PM

I am half-way through Red Garden, which has turned out to have some of the best storytelling and character development I've seen in a TV show, anime or otherwise. So far, it shares a lot of the themes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer--high school girls fighting monsters, i.e., horror movie victims fighting back--but the stories are divergent enough to make it seem fresh.

In the beginning eps, the quantity of scared, screaming girls was off-putting, but fortunately the show quickly evolved as the characters try to come to terms with their new role as killers. And they're not superheroes or soldiers (so far), so the fight scenes can be riveting, with a real sense of peril that's missing from most action shows. I've also been amazed at how unlikeable the main characters are allowed to be--they're constantly overwhelmed by their own weakness and unhappiness, and lash out in all directions, just like, well, teenagers. Again, the fact that they're evolving and growing stronger with every ep. saves the show.

Oh, and yeah, the singing bugs the shit out of me. The first couple times it happened, I though the characters were just singing along to the radio or something, but then...what the...?!? Zombie rock!! Yep, it's definitely anime.

I also finished season 1 of Hell Girl, which ended excellently. It got better and better as the season progressed really, hitting awesome at around ep. 17. (You really do have to trudge through the first 5 or 6 eps though.) It doesn't have nearly the amount of character development as Red Garden, but the plot just builds and builds. I also really like Hell Girl's graphics, in retrospect.

dawnster15

dawnster15

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 8:00 AM

Finally got around to watching El Cazador De La Bruja and thought it was really cute. My favorite moment was in one of the earlier episodes where Ellis wants to be Niade's back up by dual wielding a pair of forks. I also went back and watched Aishiteruze Baby and I forgot how adorable the series is and I read the manga chapters that take place after where the series left off and found myself wishing the manga had ended in the same place as the anime.

Also, I've had my eye on purchasing My Bride Is A Mermaid for a while but I've been wondering if it's worth it.

weyrbunny

weyrbunny

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 1:42 PM

My Bride is a Mermaid is one of the most aggressively shrill and loud dubs I've ever heard, second only to Excel Saga, I think. I found it so hard to listen to, I gave up after 8 eps. It can be a funny show, with good meta-references--the fact that the underwater Yakuza have a pet shark that constantly attacks people did make me laugh repeatedly. But it was just too manic for me to continue. Also, I don't remember anything about the plot, so instead I'll quote AnimeNewsNetwork: "Other than the fish-gangster angle, My Bride is a Mermaid avoids newness and novelty with a studiousness usually reserved for the avoidance of things like tapeworms and death." If any of this appeals to you, I'd still suggest Hulu-ing some eps before going further.

Sandman87

Sandman87

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 12:57 AM

Red Garden sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out.

Still enjoying Moretsu Space Pirates. I love the running gag that
Spoiler
. Some motivators for that and for Kimi ni Todoke here.

Bleu

Bleu

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 4:26 PM

Red Garden has good character development. There's an OVA series called Dead Girls set after it, which is weird but fun. About the singing, and I don't think this is a spoiler, as it had nothing to do with the plot or character development that I'm aware of, but just in case:
Spoiler

ETA for the spoiler code.

Edited by Bleu, Mar 26, 2012 @ 8:46 PM.

InternalParadox

InternalParadox

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 5:14 PM

Those Space Pirates sure are Bodacious! ;)

The Golden Ghost Ship arc had a lot of strange holes in it. I felt like I missed some important exposition somewhere.

Spoiler

In any case, I think the rose imagery and the "Prince and Princess" comment were shout-outs to Revolutionary Girl Utena.

One thing this arc made absolutely clear is that Kane is an awesome, reckless helmsman!

Edited by InternalParadox, Mar 25, 2012 @ 5:16 PM.

the fresh maker

the fresh maker

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 12:01 AM

We're coming up on the Another finale. Episode 11 went off the rails, which I both loved and hated. On one hand, it obliterated the tone of what had come before. On the other, it was so over the top and audacious it was hilarious.

Anyway, there now seems to be some very hard evidence as to the extra's identity:
Spoiler

Daisy Wolf

Daisy Wolf

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 12:48 PM

the fresh maker: That is a very well thought out guess for the ending of Another. Since the last episode I am now out of guesses so that one makes some sense. As for episode 11, I agree that it was out of control but in a very enjoyable way. The gore, people. If you want out of control, preposterous, reasonably suspensful gore and mayhem, Another sure delivers the goods. I even had a few "omg!" and *gasp* moments.