Top Chef: Just Desserts

• Please log in to reply

3754 replies to this topic

chickee

chickee

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 10:21 AM

The one thing that stood out for me was how low-key Hubert Keller was. In fact, throughout the series he looked like he just wanted to be anywhere else but on TCJD. I so enjoyed his enthusiasm on TC Masters and on this show he just looked miserable. He must have been under contractual obligations to do this show.

Narya

Narya

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 10:23 AM

A lot of Morgan's commentary gets on my nerves--I really didn't like his comments about Zac (either the fairy or saying he'd like to hurt him), for example--and, at the same time, he shows himself capable of genuine human compassion. For example, the thing that stuck out in my viewing was Morgan reaching out to catch Yigit as Yigit tripped on his way out of the house. And he was genuinely congratulatory, even though I'm sure he was disappointed (and probably knew he was done-for as soon as the souffles fell). He's one of those people who really needs to learn to edit what he says, especially on a national broadcast.

but Danielle, she did, in fact, bring it, and yay her! I was really impressed with how well she executed the past few episodes.

tipsymcstagger

tipsymcstagger

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 10:33 AM

Not happy at all. This was certainly not Morgan's best showing because I truly believe he is the most talented of the bunch. As his many wins in both Quick Fire and Elimination rounds attest. I CAN'T STAND Yigit. I thought he was a petty, obnoxious little man...despite TC's 'second coming' edit. Morgan - for all his faults - was at least a good sport and respected the talent of the competition. Unlike Zac, Heather and Yigit - who truly thought their s*** didn't stink. And talk about bullies...Team GoDiva was Mean Girls personified. Just because a person is gay doesn't mean they can't be mean, exclusive and nasty. Team GoDiva showed that in spades.

On another note - glad to see Danielle do so well. I think her talents really came to the forefront in later challenges. I liked her a lot - odd facial expressions and all. She seems like a genuinely sweet person.

Yuck on Yigit. He's talented but he's a collosal ass.

VMaxxwell

VMaxxwell

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 10:38 AM

Morgan should have won this, plain and simple.

Are they doing a reunion show next week? I'd love to see Seth reflect.

jackjill

jackjill

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 10:53 AM

I didn't realize how nice it was not to have Zac on the show until I saw him at the serving and wanted to smack him. Ick. I think he really colored how I perceived Yigit as well. Team Diva irritated me to no end. I didn't like seeing Heather again either.

While Morgan has gone up and down in my estimation all season (one week I like him, the next I don't), I don't think you can argue he has the skills.

Danielle turned out to be a lovely surprise. I'm happy for her.

My favorite part of the whole episode...oh boy! Yigit wins a Buick Regal! A Buick? I thought you had to be a member of AARP to drive those. :)

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 10:54 AM

The one thing that stood out for me was how low-key Hubert Keller was. In fact, throughout the series he looked like he just wanted to be anywhere else but on TCJD. I so enjoyed his enthusiasm on TC Masters and on this show he just looked miserable. He must have been under contractual obligations to do this show.

You're absolutely right and I've wondered what was up with him for most of the series. The only other thing I can think is that he's just not that into desserts, but TCJD wanted a "name" chef on the panel who had a rep on TC and would help attract regular TC viewers.

Fukui San

Fukui San

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 10:59 AM

Seth wasn't a sous chef option, right?

Picking cookies was a sucky method of choosing sous chefs. If the chefs got to pick, Yigit would have picked Heather or Zach, Morgan probably would have picked Eric, and Danielle probably would have picked Erica.

SweetSable

SweetSable

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 11:10 AM

Will there be a reunion special soon? I DVR'd the finale so I missed a commercial if they aired one. Next week pre-Thanksgiving, there's a rerun of an All Stars dinner and the 1st is all about All Stars.

I believe it's on tonight on the "Watch What Happens Live" show at 11 p.m.

potatoradio

potatoradio

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 11:22 AM

There's no justification for "fairy" or for making it about violence...and Morgan crossed a line it's hard to uncross, even if he spends all his interview time with "some of my best friends are gay" types of excuses that are typical of a lot of bigots who get called on their sh*t

Times about a million and half. Good riddance to that ignorant, insecure sack of stank.

Though I gotta say, I wondered, too, when I saw Danielle's sous chef shelling pistachios. I thought, really? You have Croquembuche Queen on your team and she's cracking nuts? But someone had to do it, I guess. Would have loved to try that ice cream and homemade root beer caught the attention of everyone watching.

I imagine "molecular gastronomy" produces some interesting eats, but it just never sounds appetizing, especially when chefs start going on about calcium sulfide monoglutamate diglycol dimethyl hepta 1 3 diene sulfate...hello, I'm having flashbacks to biology and chem lab and it's not pleasant.

Even though he uses test tube techniques and made rubbery, chewy yogurt droplets that sounded horrid to me (but then, I don't like the "bubbles" in popular bubble teas, either)...Yigit! Hooray!! That was the first satisfying event that happened on my TV all week.

Grimes

Grimes

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 11:23 AM

Picking cookies was a sucky method of choosing sous chefs. If the chefs got to pick, Yigit would have picked Heather or Zach, Morgan probably would have picked Eric, and Danielle probably would have picked Erica.

I agree. They should have had the cookies determine the order of choosing, not the actual person. Really, why is an element of chance even needed for the finale?

They've been tested on their ability to adapt all season. Now is the time we want to see them at their absolute best, that includes having the best help.

Edited by Grimes, Nov 18, 2010 @ 11:24 AM.

Mirax

Mirax

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 12:32 PM

Lurked all season, first time posting!

As soon as I saw the episode last week, I knew Yigit was going to win. I had forgotten about Danielle and Morgan being in the bottom three on the first episode though.

/shallow You can give me a shirtless Morgan and a sexy-eyeglasses Morgan anytime...yummy! /shallow

eavj

eavj

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 12:37 PM

This was certainly not Morgan's best showing because I truly believe he is the most talented of the bunch. As his many wins in both Quick Fire and Elimination rounds attest. I CAN'T STAND Yigit. I thought he was a petty, obnoxious little man...despite TC's 'second coming' edit. Morgan - for all his faults - was at least a good sport and respected the talent of the competition. Unlike Zac, Heather and Yigit - who truly thought their s*** didn't stink. And talk about bullies..

I agree with your assessment, and the results reminded me a bit too much of the PR finale. The most consistent and, by far, most talented contestant (Morgan/Mondo) loses to one of the mean girls (Yigit/Gretchen).

I'd rather have seen Danielle win than Yigit.

This has been a lousy year for reality shows, what with PR and this finale and the atrocity that is the DWTS finale. Maybe it's time to just quit reality television . . .

LivenLetLive

LivenLetLive

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 12:40 PM

Morgan had a major technical failure, so I knew that he had lost at that moment, happily for him, he won quite a bit of cash during the contest. Also, Morgan had viewed Yigit as his major competition through-out the series, clearly Yigit is a talented pastry chef, and no matter the personality conflict, Morgan respected him. For me, Danielle was the pleasant surprise, but I have been noting her interesting flavor profiles over the last few episodes. Morgan needs a filter for his public comments no doubt--I think that there is clearly a lot of turmoil going on in that big, handsome body of his.

Paula in Playa

Paula in Playa

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 1:33 PM

Even though it was obvious Yigit was going to win, I was kinda hoping against hope that he wouldn't. I think he'd have no problem with the Magical Elves portraying him as the second coming -- he'd think it was his due. Like the thermostat should always be adjusted to suit him. Also, he hasn't made a single thing all competition that looked at all appetizing to me.

So am I the only one who noticed that when Morgan made his "fairy" comment in the kitchen, there was a clearly labeled bag of fruit and nut mix on the counter in the foreground?

I saw that and lol'd.

Maybe I'm bitter not because of the Yigit win so much as I had to see Zac and Heather's faces with joy on them.

Heh, this was me. To watch the two of them just hanging off Yigit like his winningness could rub off on them. Gross. It seemed like Morgan and Danielle were hugging everybody (and everybody was hugging them), but after the initial congrats for Yigit, it sure seemd like Team GoDiva were in their own little bubble -- a clique (no matter what Zac says) to the end. Loved Danielle and Erika's hug (and how Danielle was waving to her during the competition). Seems like Danielle was well liked.

The only other thing I can think is that he's [Keller] just not that into desserts, but TCJD wanted a "name" chef on the panel who had a rep on TC and would help attract regular TC viewers.

Keller mentioned on one of the TC:M shows that he grew up over a bakery. He's had a lot of pastry experience. Admittedly, a lot of it was probably classical pastry experience, so maybe that colored his view of who the ordained winner was. Maybe he hates boba as much as I do!

YpsiYvonne

YpsiYvonne

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 1:55 PM

Danielle turned out to be a lovely surprise. I'm happy for her.

I totally agree with this sentiment. My only (shallow) criticism of her is the dumb reaction faces she makes during JT. Am I the only one who has noticed this, or has it already been mentioned?

hissyfit

hissyfit

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 2:08 PM

Morgan lost when his souffle fell and I think he knew it. And I thought he was gracious and genuinely happy for Yigit. I noticed Yigit went out of his way to hug Morgan twice. For all the bitching about Morgan, the chefs seem to get along well enough with him. Close quarters make everyone irritable. And Morgan was great to make a point of thanking Heather for her help.

I have no problem with Yigit. While he was part of team Diva, I can't recall him saying anything nasty about other people, besides Morgan. Zac made fun of Danielle's looks (and yes, Zac is a bitch...guys can be bitches, too) and Heather referred to them as team loser. Yigit just seems a bit reserved.

The fairy comment, no matter what the content it was not cool. But, I don't think Morgan has a problem with either gays or women. I think he's cranky under stress. I still think he's an amazing chef and ultimately that's what I cared about.

I'll watch again next season.

hollysb

hollysb

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 2:19 PM

Morgan is a creepy, arrogant douchebag and I'm so glad he didn't win. I knew he wouldn't be the winner after his remarks about Zac. They wouldn't have left those comments in if he won. Hilarious that after his tirade about Zac he got Heather, who hates him. I've never had a problem with Yigit or Zac and don't see what they've ever done that's hate-worthy. I think hanging out with sour Heather didn't do them any favors. I'm happy Yigit won.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 2:22 PM

There's no way Morgan could have won with the collapsing souffles, so I'm okay with him losing in that regard. He should have served them in ramekins. But I have a feeling Yigit would have won regardless. The judges were head over heels from day one. He showed moments of brilliance but still needed coaching throughout the competition. Morgan excelled time after time (except for the first day). There's no doubt in my mind that Morgan is the best pastry chef there. Funny how Morgan was in the bottom three on the first day because he did too much and the judges told him to restrain his skills - he never made that mistake again, yet the judges told Yigit that at least 4 times.

Yes it was obvious from the judges blogs, especially Gail's that Yigit was the judges favorite. Morgan is talented, but I think they saw Yigit as more modern and cutting edge. Sort of like Yigit's tortured flowers versus Morgan's chocolate flowers. All Yigit had to do to win was calm down enough to make 4 good courses. I think even if Morgan's souffles hadn't collapsed, Yigit would have won. Then it would have been Yigit took a greater risk and Morgan's macaroons are too pedestrian.

As for Zac, I think Morgan just doesn't like him. Period. The Magical Elves made sure we knew Morgan was a villain that deserved to lose. I know I have personally said I wished I could punch a coworker in the face, and meant it. We were simply oil and water. There's just no love loss between those two.

Nonetheless, this was Yigit's battle to lose and fortunately he stepped to plate and earned his win.

Birdhee

Birdhee

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 3:01 PM

Even though it was obvious Yigit was going to win, I was kinda hoping against hope that he wouldn't. I think he'd have no problem with the Magical Elves portraying him as the second coming -- he'd think it was his due. Like the thermostat should always be adjusted to suit him.

The way I recall it, that better describes Morgan. Didn't he more or less announce in the first episode, when they had all barely gotten into their living quarters, that he needed it to be Arctic-cold to sleep, and they weren't going to like dealing with him if he didn't get his sleep, so they would go along with his thermostat setting if they knew what was good for them?

I truly loathed him. Being a good pastry chef, I'll give him. The skill is obvious, although nothing has convinced me he's "better" than Yigit. But his personality was far in excess of the toxicity of anyone else on this season. I could see getting him off the hook for this or that comment, but Christ, when every week you have some veiled or not-so-veiled comment about physically hurting women, much smaller men, random people on the street (how many such remarks have there been, six?), it's a little disturbing.

The "fairy" remark was more of the same from him; at this point I hardly batted an eye. It was just a more overt version of what he's been doing all along with the trumpeting his own heterosexuality and solidarity with Seth, "flamboyant" and all that, and then he works up to "girl," and this is just where it goes next. Zac indeed being flamboyant and effeminate is not an excuse. It was every bit as offensive as it would have been if someone had said about Tiffany from Top Chef DC, "Oh, great. I lose to Tiffany. As if she needs something else to be dancing and grinning about." ("But Tiffany did dance when she was happy! And she grins all the time!") It's a coded kind of minority-bashing, and here he just slipped up and uncoded it. If this is the scaled-down version of him with the knowledge that cameras and microphones are present, I can imagine what a charmer he is in his private life. (Just to keep it in perspective, I'm not saying he goes out committing hate crimes, or says "Good!" when he hears about other people doing it. He's not that bad. But in no way is he down with the cause, in my eyes.)

Yigit I liked very much, as a pastry chef and as a personality. One of my favorite winners of the TC franchise's history.

Edited by Birdhee, Nov 18, 2010 @ 3:03 PM.

GreenFairy

GreenFairy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 3:02 PM

So, one can win, win, and win, and then lose? No, Morgan's desserts didn't falter; Morgan's personality did.

You got me with you on the personality, but I cannot agree about Morgan's not taking the final win. The judges are always saying that they judge on the current challenge and on not past performance; Morgan's souffles fell. I'm no baking expert but it seems to be there's no overlooking that bit of classic fail. It was a fallen souffle fail.

Yeah, I had to.

I'm glad for Yigit. He was to me a true artist. Even though it didn't make it to the judge's table, I can't forget how beautiful just watching him make those spun sugar vases was. Also, I will remember how hard Yigit tried to bolster Seth. His dropping his head in his hands and sobbing when Heather got booted. Seems like the nice (and noderately sane) guy won. Yay!

thethe

thethe

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 3:12 PM

What the hell did Morgan say in the stew room about Claudia that was bleeped out?

Lisette

Lisette

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 3:22 PM

re: Yigit's complaint about the A/C. Morgan seemed like a self-centered d-bag to keep it on "cold" all night when Ygit was getting sick. But...they didn't all sleep in the same room, right? Couldn't Ygit have gone to a different room and closed the vent on the air? (Or just blocked it somehow)?

I don't get the "poor victim, me" argument there.

LeDucDiableBleu

LeDucDiableBleu

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 3:24 PM

Also, I will remember how hard Yigit tried to bolster Seth.

Actually, Morgan was the one who tried to bolster Seth, and was one of the last ones (along with Zac) who supported him. Yigit laughed at Seth when he had his breakdown trying to find his ingredients at the bar (very GoDiva-ish right there). And Yigit lectured Seth in the dorm by saying "you don't know what everyone else is going through." But I certainly don't blame Yigit for lecturing. I would have done a lot worse.

I only remember these things because I watched the marathon yesterday.

IttyBittyFlavur

IttyBittyFlavur

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 3:38 PM

Team GoDiva was the clique-iest clique that ever clique'd, but when did they actually bully anyone?

Wondering if the Morgan/Heather pairing was another bit of monkeying about by the producers.

How would they have done it?

Danielle, she did, in fact, bring it, and yay her!

Yes, it was great to see her get in there and compete. I like it when people bring their A-games to the finale.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 3:51 PM

How would they have done it?

The same way mysteriously Team Diva all ended up on the same team in Dessert Wars?

TryDelta

TryDelta

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 3:59 PM

Yigit whining about the A/C was pretty childish. Get your scrawny ass out of bed and turn it up, or just switch beds.

Morgan was being arrogant with his sous chef but that lady looked like a pain-in-the-ass too so, I think the lack of teamwork was mutual.

I was hoping that Danielle would take it but there's no way they would have given it to anybody but Yigit unless he made any glaring mistakes which he didn't. So even if Morgan had nailed the souffles he would have lost too.

I will admit that there's something about Zac that's very punch-worthy but the "fairy" comment was too much from Morgan. It's too loaded a word. I wouldn't even say Zac's a fairy. He's more like an annoying hybrid of a leprechaun and Stuart Smiley. He's awful! So is Heather. Yigit needs to get that money and buy new friends.

Edited by TryDelta, Nov 18, 2010 @ 4:01 PM.

TiffanyNichelle

TiffanyNichelle

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 4:33 PM

Wasn't someone asking about a "I don't work at the No factory" t-shirt? Because Bravo is now selling them.

Beingewe

Beingewe

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 4:56 PM

Fukui San said:

I would've loved to have seen this. I can only imagine how much better it would have been to have people that liked each other in the kitchen!

SnippyScholar

SnippyScholar

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 5:08 PM

Yeah, I could have used more shirtless Morgan. That was the only thing out of this sorry finale that made me perk up. Because, damn.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 5:22 PM

I feel obliged to point out that Morgan did not make a baumkuchen as he called it. A real baumkuchen ("treecake" in German) is very unique and looks like a tree with the layers in rings, just like tree rings. It's baked by rotating a cake on a spit and dripping layers of different colored batters as it bakes to create the ring effect. He made something more like a Viennese torte with thin flat layers.

Edited by Rickster, Nov 18, 2010 @ 5:25 PM.