Top Chef: Just Desserts

• Please log in to reply

3754 replies to this topic

SpeciousLogic

SpeciousLogic

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2010 @ 11:09 PM

Aside from it being pretty obvious (to me) that Yigit was going to win, this episode was good on cooking and less on the drama. I guess Zac not being around made a pretty big difference.

Yigit did get lucky on the Sous Chef draws (both times). Morgan got 2 people with personality clashes, while Danielle drew the least-talented sous chef the second time around. (I think Tim was nowhere near the 2nd-least talented chef; he seemed to go well before his time).

Pugposse

Pugposse

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 17, 2010 @ 11:11 PM

The Magical Elves really overdid it with the winner's edit for Yigit and loser's edit for Morgan -- talk about obvious. You could see Yigit as the winner even before the desserts were served. Anyway, congratulations Yigit and good job, Morgan and Danielle.

I'm glad Morgan showed appreciation for Heather in trying to salvage the souffles, and didn't call her out for sugaring the souffle rings. I was behind him for the win but besides the souffle debacle taking points away, it seems some of the judges decided in the finale that he lacked imagination and was simply a fine "technician" -- that seems to be the kiss of death on TC.

I'll be back next season.

SpeciousLogic

SpeciousLogic

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2010 @ 11:14 PM

Did she make her root beer or buy it? What's her face gushed about it at JT, but I thought we saw Danielle buy it.

She made it. She pulled the bottle off the shelf at the store to check the ingredients.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Nov 17, 2010 @ 11:21 PM

I think the judges have been in love with Yigit all season. He's more modern and cutting edge. Unfortunately that has at times been his downfall. However, he managed to find the right balance of ambition and technique which is all they wanted from him, so they had no problem awarding him the win. That said I think he did well and deserved it.

bunnyfish

bunnyfish

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 17, 2010 @ 11:25 PM

Sorry, Bravo, you have lost me as a viewer after this "coronation" of King Yigit. I am so sick of their editing of this show and Top Chef. I haven't been excited about a winner since Stephanie won way back in season 4. And I will always wonder if Morgan would have been named the winner (as I think he should have been) if he was more like Yigit (or even Zac). I'm done with Bravo.

Country Ham

Country Ham

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 17, 2010 @ 11:25 PM

I thought this was an excellent episode. Congratulations to Yigit and also to Danielle for excelling the way she did. Johnny Gulf Oil Slick was an a-hole with his ice cream sampler sniff n' sneer with Danielle. So glad the critique at service played out opposite to his opinion.

carmelized

carmelized

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2010 @ 11:27 PM

I enjoyed seeing all the dishes and the different approaches, but would have enjoyed the show a lot more if they had left out half the drama. I really did not need to see Heather H. again. I do give her credit for trying to help with the souffles but I didn't need to hear her saying that she really didn't want to see Morgan win. I heard and saw enough of her bitterness in the regular season. I don't really think she sabotaged Morgan, but why even bring that possibility into the picture? With the celebrity sous chefs (or is it assistant with desserts?), I don't think they should have brought any of the competitors back.

However, Heather aside, Morgan did his own damage to his cause, so I don't mind that he lost. Souffles seem like an unnecessary risk at this point, and why he spoke to Chef Flemming like that is beyond me.

Still, overall, they all did well, so at least the desserts lived up to the finale, even if the execution of the show itself didn't. Congratulations to Yigit, although I was rooting for Danielle tonight. Danielle didn't crumble, so she should still be proud, even if she didn't win.

MerBear

MerBear

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 17, 2010 @ 11:28 PM

Good Lord, did the editing elves make it nauseatingly obvious it was Yigit all throughout the episode? Gag. I am not happy. The bad sous chefs that Morgan got played way too much of a role. Glad Morgan won so much throughout the entire shows but still he deserved the win. I mean, I'm watching the show a second time and the producers might as well have had a glowing aura of angel dust shining all over Yigit this entire episode -- they gave him such a winner edit.

TrueColors

TrueColors

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 17, 2010 @ 11:29 PM

Morgan did his own damage to his cause, so I don't mind that he lost. Souffles seem like an unnecessary risk at this point, and why he spoke to Chef Flemming like that is beyond me.

Yes, and what was it that Morgan said at the end that was almost completely bleeped out? (and why even bother showing it if we can't hear his remarks?)

angelmom1

angelmom1

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2010 @ 11:32 PM

I'm upset that Morgan didn't win and more upset that TPTB pretty much telegraphed that Morgan wouldn't win even last week with the various sound bites they decided to air. I don't think they ever intended to consider Morgan or Danielle for the matter for the win. Personally, I thought all of Yigit's desserts sounded bad to me except the last one maybe. The show also clearly wanted drama with the Heather H pairing and the phone call home. I am never usually a grassy knoll type but I think they wanted to Yigit to win so Morgan didn't.

SpeciousLogic

SpeciousLogic

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2010 @ 11:34 PM

I really did not need to see Heather H. again. I do give her credit for trying to help with the souffles but I didn't need to hear her saying that she really didn't want to see Morgan win. I heard and saw enough of her bitterness in the regular season.

I'm guessing that they pulled those quotes/interviews from earlier in the season? I can't believe Heather would say that she didn't want Morgan to win after she had been tabbed as his sous chef.

But I agree that it was a bad idea to potentially set up sous chefs with known antipathies to the competitors. It would be so easy for Heather to truly sabotage him if she really wanted to do that. I wonder if Zac would have done exactly that, given half a chance. How the show could have justified it if a sous chef was found to have likely (or definitely) sabotaged the person they were supposed to help?

Edited due to redundant redundancies.

Edited by SpeciousLogic, Nov 17, 2010 @ 11:36 PM.

Rocky Monoxide

Rocky Monoxide

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2010 @ 11:35 PM

I discovered tonight I like Yigit a lot more when Zac isn't around. Yigit and his celebrity sous chef were pretty awesome together. They should get their own TV show.

I was pleased to see Danielle do so well, and am glad Morgan lost.

Edited by Rocky Monoxide, Nov 17, 2010 @ 11:35 PM.

BuddhaBelly

BuddhaBelly

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2010 @ 11:35 PM

The bad sous chefs that Morgan got played way too much of a role.

Chef Fleming is now considered a bad sous chef? That's interesting.

I'm happy that Yigit won but I'm probably one of the few that would have been fine with any of them.

Edited by BuddhaBelly, Nov 17, 2010 @ 11:38 PM.

carmelized

carmelized

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2010 @ 11:39 PM

Yes, and what was it that Morgan said at the end that was almost completely bleeped out? (and why even bother showing it if we can't hear his remarks?)

I think he was cursing about the mistakes he made with his souffles, but I can't be sure.

beejereeno2

beejereeno2

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 17, 2010 @ 11:41 PM

Johnny Gulf Oil Slick

Bwahahahahahah!!! SMH for that guy. Really. Dude a couple episodes ago with his motorcycle getting tattooed...you have crow's feet and a receding pompadour. Know you're not 24 anymore, knock it off with the hipster dufus 'tude.

Congrats to Yigit, cutie pie and thought his stuff looked delish all season.

MerBear

MerBear

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 17, 2010 @ 11:41 PM

Obviously Chef Flemming isn't a bad sous chef strictly in terms of her ability, but she was a bit combative or subtly passive-aggressive, I felt. I think Morgan assumed that someone at her high level of experience and achievement would be able to communicate about the scientific elements of cooking. She seemed to be very contrarian, IMO. This was his biggest challenge yet and under an incredible amount of stress and time restraints -- not the time for her to get all "typical male pastry chef". She was there to cook and support.

Edited by MerBear, Nov 17, 2010 @ 11:45 PM.

BUD'nLOU

BUD'nLOU

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 17, 2010 @ 11:42 PM

I think Morgan is talented, and probably deserved to win overall based on that, but his frequent homophobic comments made it impossible for me to root for him. I can't believe he actually called Zac a fairy in this episode. What a douchebag.

woofyman

woofyman

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 17, 2010 @ 11:43 PM

I can't believe he actually called Zac a fairy in this episode. What a douchebag.

He also said he wanted to punch him and knock his skull off.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Nov 17, 2010 @ 11:49 PM

I think Morgan assumed that someone at her high level of experience and achievement would be able to communicate about the scientific elements of cooking.

Then he is a moron, he should know that Claudia Flemming isn't into molecular gastronomy baking which is what he chose to lecture her about instead of just assigning her other tasks or just telling her how to combine the solutions, she was right she didn't need to know the specifics or how they were twisting it, he could have written it down as a recipe and just had her do it.

Was it ever established if Tim and Yigit knew each other? Given that they both work in SF.

Edited by biakbiak, Nov 17, 2010 @ 11:53 PM.

TPickles

TPickles

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 17, 2010 @ 11:53 PM

I would preferred Danielle or Morgan to win, however, Yigit clearly brought it, so I'm happy that he won.

Wondering if the Morgan/Heather pairing was another bit of monkeying about by the producers. If it had been Zac, I'd be positive it was.

My favorite part of the episode was the looks Chef Fleming and Danielle gave Morgan after he described that technique, cause I felt the same way. Maybe the reason they haven't focused on technique is because the producers don't understand half of what the chefs are doing. (The latter is meant in jest, sort of.)

Ah well, happy to be able to delete this show from the DVR, but I'll give it another chance if they do a second season. They don't appear to be doing a reunion show, for which I am very grateful, with very few exceptions, I don't want to see any of these folks on TV ever again.

Edited by TPickles, Nov 17, 2010 @ 11:55 PM.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Nov 17, 2010 @ 11:53 PM

also to Danielle for excelling the way she did. Johnny Gulf Oil Slick was an a-hole with his ice cream sampler sniff n' sneer with Danielle. So glad the critique at service played out opposite to his opinion.

I thought Danielle more than held her own for the finale, but I got the feeling that the judges were only ever really considering Morgan or Yigit.

I'm happy that Yigit won but I'm probably one of the few that would have been fine with any of them.

I was leaning towards a Morgan win, but looking at what was put forth tonight, I would have been okay with any of them winning.

kitty32

kitty32

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2010 @ 11:56 PM

Morgan is an arrogant prick, in my opinion, but was amazed they aired the fairy remark. So I'm super glad it was Yigit for the win. Didn't much care for Danielle either.

Desserts aren't really my thing, so I've watched from habit, rather than conviction. Don't know that I'd sign up for a second season, I'm watching the 11 p.m. rerun as it is.

carmelized

carmelized

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2010 @ 11:58 PM

I would have been okay with any of them winning on the basis of making the best food on a level playing field. I'm not exactly sure that happened here, but I guess it was close enough. Other than Morgan's souffle problems, it sounded like it was a pretty close three-way race.

I would have liked to sit back and enjoy seeing what each chef cooked, without having all the pettiness and personality conflicts shoved in my face. I didn't need to hear Yigit bitch about Morgan deliberately leaving on the air conditioner. Maybe it was deliberate, maybe not, but at this point in the finale, I didn't give a shit. It didn't come to anything, so I wish they had just left that on the editing floor. I also didn't need to hear Morgan say that his competitors' desserts were boring, or Yigit talking about how he'd be crushed if he didn't win.

Not that the chefs themselves are blameless in this, but I mostly blame TPTB for focusing on this kind of thing, especially in the finale. There were a number of things I liked about this show, and even the finale itself. The desserts looked and sounded outstanding, for the most part, and I'm holding on to a slight hope that it will improve, if we get more seasons. But as long as the Magical Elves are as addicted to contrived drama as they are, I'll guess I should expect more of the same.

Edited by carmelized, Nov 18, 2010 @ 12:05 AM.

radicalmoderate

radicalmoderate

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 12:05 AM

He also said he wanted to punch him and knock his skull off.

What the hell was that? It was so harsh. He's a moron.

Danielle, note, baby talk is NOT attractive on a woman of your age. HATE.

So um, congratulations Yigit?

TiffanyNichelle

TiffanyNichelle

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 12:14 AM

I thought this was a good finale. I felt like it could have been possible for Danielle to win because she kicked it up. I'm not surprised that Yigit won since you could see him get it together. I knew Morgan wasn't going to win because they really went with the villain edit hard at the beginning of the episode. I am disappointed he didn't win. I think it was those souffles that did him in.

Just a note, I'm pretty sure at one point they aired a post-win interview with Yigit, where he said, "If I didn't win I would have"

I heard it too and had a moment of wait, what the hell was that?

Edited by TiffanyNichelle, Nov 18, 2010 @ 12:27 AM.

Scribbly

Scribbly

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 12:16 AM

Just a note, I'm pretty sure at one point they aired a post-win interview with Yigit, where he said, "If I didn't win I would have"

Although not that it wasn't obvious anyway. I honestly think Heather and Zac were a bad influence on him and some of the meanness wasn't really him.

Personality wise I think Danielle was the best.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 12:17 AM

I didn't need to hear Yigit bitch about Morgan deliberately leaving on the air conditioner.

Of all the dumb things aired on this show, and lord knows there have be many, many dumb things, this was by far the dumbest. a)Aren't there like 9 other empty beds? b) Why not get up and turn it down? c)Why not get another blanket?

All I care about is the darn desserts.

anacara

anacara

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 12:17 AM

I'm really glad that all three seemed to really step it up and that no one crashed and burned. I am REALLY glad that Danielle did so well.

When Morgan got Heather H. I was worried that this was going to be like the season two Top Chef finale disaster, when Marcel's whatever it was got left behind. I'm glad that other than the souffle ring sugaring (which Morgan did say is normally done), it seems to have been fairly drama free.

As much as Morgan irked me all season, I can't hate on him. He always seems to be so genuine in his congratulations.

KedzieMatthews

KedzieMatthews

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 12:20 AM

I thought Yigit was going to win. Morgan was given too much of an asshole edit at the very end, and Danielle, bless her heart, just wasn't *quite* there. Yigit kept his head on straight and made what looked like some awesome desserts. Good for him.

Glad to see Heather H. put her personal dislike for Morgan aside and helped him the best she could. I liked that.

MerBear

MerBear

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 12:41 AM

Morgan was very gracious to Yigit in the commentary after the win and he immediately gave Yigit a big bear hug when they announced the winner. Not a moment's hesitation. I also loved hearing Morgan tell Heather she was the "cookie in his jar" when she tried to find a positive way to handle the souffle disaster.

Happy that Danielle had such a good showing -- she's a good egg and I hope she finds much success, quirky-thing that she is.

Yigit is very talented, just not my pick to win the whole thing. I think Team GoDiva just turned me off to him.

I will watch next season though. Now so excited for Top Chef Masters and Carla and Richard!!