Top Chef: Just Desserts

• Please log in to reply

3754 replies to this topic

LizDC

LizDC

Fanatic

Posted Nov 1, 2011 @ 11:27 AM

TV Guide - Top Chef: Just Desserts' Sally: I Don't Regret Having Orlando Make My Showpiece

pez10s

pez10s

Fanatic

Posted Nov 1, 2011 @ 12:31 PM

someone who's okay with winding up in the middle, because they put out something just good enough not to lose.

I don't think anybody who goes on these shows is happy to wind up in the middle OR thinks that what they're creating is just good enough not to lose. I think all of the contestants are shooting for a win. They may make mistakes along the way - but they may not recognize them as mistakes at the time. The only contestant I can think of who wasn't trying to win was Sally during one of the team challenges when she had immunity. She was trying to help her team win, which I still wouldn't define as putting out something that's just good enough not to lose. Hell, even Craig was trying to win challenges despite being hugely overmatched by the competition.

Richness

Richness

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 1, 2011 @ 2:24 PM

I forgot about that line, thethe. Between that, and her comment on wanting to motorboat Antonia(?) on a regular TC reunion show, I'm convinced Gail likes to get freaky.

potatoradio

potatoradio

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 1, 2011 @ 2:26 PM

"Glazed my sphere" is now going to be my new euphemism for being impressed. Example: "The movie was all right, but I don't get all the rave reviews. It held my attention, but it didn't really glaze my sphere."

Ha! And I'll use "sealed the sphere" as a euphemism for not quite completing a job. "Hey, is the job done?" "Well, the sphere isn't sealed, but it is plated."

Birdhee

Birdhee

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 1, 2011 @ 3:01 PM

I forgot about that line, thethe. Between that, and her comment on wanting to motorboat Antonia(?) on a regular TC reunion show, I'm convinced Gail likes to get freaky.

The motorboating thing was Padma, wasn't it? I want to remember it that way, because I think Gail actually can be funny. When Padma tries, it's like, "Failed to execute target process; one or more files in dir C:\Humor may be corrupted."

carmelized

carmelized

Fanatic

Posted Nov 1, 2011 @ 5:44 PM

He made what he thought would be the most impressive element of that room- why shouldn't he have been upset at not being in the winning group? In retrospect, the chocolate fountain didn't live up to the hype- but I don't see why it's unreasonable that Chris, at the time of the challenge, thought he should have won. And again- I'd rather have the cheftestants really go for the win and be upset when they come up short, than just be glad that they're safe.

The impression I got from Chris was that he expected and felt entitled to win with the fountain, not just that he was disappointed at not being in the winning group. He looked incredulous to me, that time and many other times, and he didn't take valid criticism very well.

I realize that what I see is highly edited, but even taking that into consideration, I came away feeling that Chris lacked a sense of proportion. Many creative people will work hard on something for hours, like Chris did with the chocolate fountain, then at the end, they are able to realize it fell short of expectations. I had the feeling from Chris that just because of the time and work involved, he was convinced that he deserved to be in the top, regardless of what the others made. Other, highly competitive chefs have still been able to recognize flaws in their creations, right away. Also, didn't he strong-arm some of his competitors to put in more effort on the fountain, when they were supposed tp be doing other things?

And I can't think of anything that suggests that Chris was not gracious to his competitors at the end of the day- he seemed as willing to congratulate winners and console the eliminated as anyone else in the cast.

At this point, I don't recall every incident, but there were comments and behavior that made him seem less than gracious to me. I don't think he's the worst person ever, and I'm sure he did have some gracious moments with his competitors. However, in his talking heads and general demeanor, he didn't seem all that pleasant, and a little too impressed with himself.

pez10s

pez10s

Fanatic

Posted Nov 1, 2011 @ 7:40 PM

ITA. To me, Chris had an air of entitlement that was really off-putting. Like he expected that he was going to win, not because he was doing better work than the other competitors but because he was...well, Chris. I also agree that there was far too much emphasis placed on showpieces, and that Chris is better suited to competing on the Challenges. I want to beleive that a dessert chef wins because his creations are creative, visually appealing but most of all, because they're delicious. That big industrial pile of brown was ugly, bland, and an utter waste of chocolate. A dessert should be eaten.

Richness

Richness

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 1, 2011 @ 10:31 PM

You're right, Birdhee. All I remembered was being shocked by a woman saying that on TV. It just fit closely to what Gail said here.

niklj

niklj

Fanatic

Posted Nov 2, 2011 @ 12:43 AM

Matthew won fan favorite.

Yay! He was a great competitor and I will never forget his three little piggies.

lovinbob

lovinbob

Fanatic

Posted Nov 2, 2011 @ 8:30 AM

He made what he thought would be the most impressive element of that room- why shouldn't he have been upset at not being in the winning group? In retrospect, the chocolate fountain didn't live up to the hype- but I don't see why it's unreasonable that Chris, at the time of the challenge, thought he should have won.

He conceptualized that element. Two other chefs worked equally hard on it, at the expense of their own desserts. He certainly didn't make it himself.

And once he saw the milk shooting out like a weapon, I'm not sure he could say that his concept was executed well. So if I'm him, I don't expect to win.

splitenz

splitenz

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 2, 2011 @ 11:47 PM

All season I've been reluctant to suscribe to the conspiracy theory that this was Chris' competition to lose because of his ill child, but alas, I think those putting forth that theory are probably right. I wonder if the original final challenge even HAD a showpiece component to it, but was added once the final three were set to ensure a Chris victory. I wouldn't care as much if I liked him, but he came across as so entitled and insufferable.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Nov 2, 2011 @ 11:57 PM

I wonder if the original final challenge even HAD a showpiece component to it, but was added once the final three were set to ensure a Chris victory.

Given that the first day sous chef's all had been awarded the Meilleur Ouvrier de France and another judge was also featured in the documentary King of Pastry which is a documentary about the the competition, I have no doubt that it was a given that showpieces would be a part of the finale.

I get that people don't like them, I agree that they did them too many times this season, but they are a component of several Pastry Chef competitions. In fact I wonder if the reason that there were so many showpieces involved this season and challenges making large art dessert displays (the cake/Charlie and the Chocolate Factory desserts) was to help contestants that had no experience doing them get some practice for the finale, the problem being that it didn't happen because Chris and Orlando both instinctively took them on solo and most of the cheftestants happily let them do it.

Birdhee

Birdhee

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 3, 2011 @ 4:50 PM

An update on Morgan.

Northwester

Northwester

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 5, 2011 @ 12:40 PM

Chiming in late because I was away from television for a couple of weeks and just caught the finale on demand. A season that for me started strong in the first few episodes got less and less interesting as it progressed. About midway through I realized that the final three were preordained, and it turned out to be the exact final three and champion I expected. When a "reality" show follows a script it totally eliminates any suspense, not to mention bringing the integrity of the entire enterprise into question.

Not much more to add, except to echo what so many others have said. It's supposed to be Top Chef Just Desserts, not Top Showpiece.

Edited by Northwester, Nov 5, 2011 @ 12:54 PM.

My Way

My Way

Stalker

Posted Nov 6, 2011 @ 9:30 AM

Given that the first day sous chef's all had been awarded the Meilleur Ouvrier de France and another judge was also featured in the documentary King of Pastry which is a documentary about the the competition, I have no doubt that it was a given that showpieces would be a part of the finale.

Yeah, I think it was more likely that Chris (and Orando as backup) were chosen for this competition precisely because they were planning on this last challenge. That doesn't make it any more pre-ordained for me, but the order is different.

everstar

everstar

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 6, 2011 @ 2:16 PM

What really annoyed me this season was that although they'd decided to turn it into Top Chef: Showpiece, there wasn't a minimum showpiece proficiency amongst the contenders. Maybe I've misunderstood how the show is supposed to work, but I thought it put people who had at least the same basic skill set up against each other. If they're going to make showpieces a requirement, oughtn't they get people who know how to make showpieces? Over on Top Chef: Mothership, Tom Colicchio kicked someone who didn't know how to break down a side of pork, and that was the first episode. If I wanted to see people trying to do stuff they don't know how to do, I'd watch something else.

jimene79

jimene79

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 6, 2011 @ 10:59 PM

I personally didn't find Chris's personality objectionable. However, I can't remember a single dessert he made but do remember a vague feeling of boredom about everything he did. If I was a judge, I would have eliminated him a few challenges back.

bradygrrl

bradygrrl

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 6, 2011 @ 11:05 PM

Also chiming in late....but echoing a post that I saw upstream: what does Top Chef have against female winners? Seriously, it's starting to really bug me and it's probably my favorite show. I've seen every iteration, with the exception of the last Masters series (yawn) and I can't believe there hasn't been a female winner since Stephanie. I thought Sally was smart to utilize Orlando to make the showpiece - others have done it through the years too....I specifically remember Top Chef Chicago Restaurant Wars where they were excited to have the pasta making chick back.

I didn't love this season. Too many showpieces for me too. I really wanted Katzie to stay, she seemed like she had a ton of creative ideas.

I would like them to bring this show back if it went back to more cooking/pastry challenges and less team, showpiece challenges.

And eeuuww about Morgan.

Phu chau

Phu chau

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 7, 2011 @ 10:36 PM

I wonder if some of the animosity between Sally and Katzie have anything to do with working under Sherry Yard? Its sort of interesting now to see how many of these Top Chef contestants have worked or been mentored by a Brand Name Chef? Maybe at the next Judge's table they should have their mentors come onto the show and critique their dishes.

Brn2bwild

Brn2bwild

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2011 @ 12:08 PM

Watched the finale last night. It bugged me how they edited Sally to be some one-dimensional uptight overachiever focused solely on winning. "My entire life has built up to this moment!" It felt like they were punishing her for not getting married and having a family. During one scene, she mentioned her mother and sister as influences. In her blog, Gale mentioned that there was a lot more to the story than the episode showed and that it was really moving, but we never got to see that. Instead, it came across as though Sally's mother and sister were Sally's default choices because she didn't have a husband and kids.

Edited by Brn2bwild, Nov 12, 2011 @ 12:09 PM.

whiteshirtrocks

whiteshirtrocks

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2011 @ 3:50 PM

I watched all of both seasons and am not really impressed with either winner. I think this season was better produced than last year, but lacked any sense of fun. I am still wondering why they didn't do "Bakery Shop Wars" since they had so many team challenges.

smoky

smoky

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 20, 2011 @ 7:30 AM

Has anyone else noticed that Johnny never did a blog for the last episode?

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted Nov 21, 2011 @ 7:29 AM

I watched all of both seasons and am not really impressed with either winner. I think this season was better produced than last year, but lacked any sense of fun. I am still wondering why they didn't do "Bakery Shop Wars" since they had so many team challenges.

Thank you. I was kind of disappointed that they didn't do it, considering I actually liked that challenge in Season One. My only quibble would be that Orlando would do something other than the challenge, and that Sally would want to be on a team comprised only of boys. Still, if it happened early enough in the season, it might be cool.

Or...it might be the clusterfuck that the School Bake Sale Challenge was in S1! I would kill to hear "You could taste the resentment in her cookie" again!

Edited by AtlanticVamp, Nov 21, 2011 @ 7:31 AM.

myminpins

myminpins

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 22, 2011 @ 4:10 PM

I kept being surprised it was still on - it was so freaking boring I was amazed. I love Top Chef but I doubt I'll watch this series again. Yawn!!!

Picky Eater

Picky Eater

Fanatic

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 12:48 PM

Is there going to be a Season 3? Has anyone heard anything?

smoky

smoky

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 14, 2012 @ 7:08 PM

I cannot find any news about a third season.

Quorwyf

Quorwyf

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 14, 2012 @ 10:40 PM

It honestly would not surprise me to find out that Bravo tossed all TC spinoffs in the crapper due to the general lack of drama.

So, enjoy Around the World in 80 Plates folks.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Jun 27, 2012 @ 8:05 PM

The first season was bad, but the second season was down right awful. I think Bravo only gives it shows 2 seasons to work so I don't expect or want a 3rd.

Hopefully Around the World gets canned in one.

Leshyn63

Leshyn63

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 24, 2012 @ 6:02 PM

I noted in the Top Chef Masters thread that both that show and TS:Original Recipe were renewed for another season, but no mention was made of Just Desserts. Reading between the lines, I'd surmise that it's been 86'ed. No big loss, IMO; I agree with Puds38's assessment. The word"clusterfuck" springs to mind.

Penny Robinson

Penny Robinson

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2012 @ 6:16 PM

I kinda liked the show. The first season was good, with all the insanity and Seth. The second season was awful. But it is not worse than Top Chef Masters. And it had Hubert as a judge, which is always a plus. I enjoyed seeing how crazy pastry chefs can be. Oh well, farewell show.