Louie

• Please log in to reply

1343 replies to this topic

fauntleroy

fauntleroy

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 8, 2010 @ 7:08 AM

It was good to see Bobby Cannavale, the newscaster was hot, and the women getting skeeved by his having kids was clever. Generally the shows seem so insubstantial though--just a couple of scenes per episode. They roll the credits too early then have an outtake scene which is usually pretty good but is obviously padding. Not enough material. He should bring on a couple more writers.

I didn't like the different moms thing. I think disinterest in continuity is just lazy. They could have written their way around it. I think that's where an additional writer or two could have helped. Maybe it was pitched cheap, Louie saying he'd do all the writing himself. (Not that writers cost much ha.)

Come to think of it I liked the young mom in the god episode better than the old lesbian anyway. Young mom was thoughtful and real, not a grotesque caricature.

I can do without Dr. Gervais and the extended bit about bringing his daughters into the men's room and the detailed shit talk. Wish he could resist working "brown". The club scene seemed kind of pointless. Okay, you're a fat out-of-shape loser, so old at 42 that you gross out the 25-yr-old chicks at the club. Can't you do something besides hang out in bars and clubs on your night off? You're in New York City for god's sakes--can't you come up with any ideas? Comes a point where sad sack ceases to be funny and just gets tiresome.

Still, I'm glad it was renewed. There's the kernel of a much better show there. I think that's what frustrates me about it. It just needs some help.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Sep 8, 2010 @ 9:41 AM

The first ep of the evening -- I was cracking up during his newscaster dream. Loved it. Also loved the conversation with his friend (can't remember her name) at the playground about why she would get into bed with him ("Because you're tired.") and then all the other people in the playground they could each have sex of sorts with. I thought the whole thing was hilarious.

And then the bit about taking his daughters into the airport men's room also made me laugh hard. I'm not really one for bathroom humor -- in the broadest sense -- but this was great. Again, I was crying I was laughing so hard.

Louie's moans and groans while he was working out was funny, and I enjoyed seeing Gervais again. What an ass. I, too, was taken in by the supposedly real doctor, though when he said heart or cardiac defecation, I thought maybe I had misheard, but shortly that was cleared up. Poor Louie.

In the second ep, I knew the woman would not want to date Louie after he told her he had kids, so that joke didn't work very well for me. However, I loved the scene where he's making up a bedtime story for his kids. I used to do "pretend stories" for my son, and when I'd see him dozing off, I would purposely make the story monotonous so he fall asleep. I really identified with Louie making the story boring to get them to sleep. Loved his daughter saying, "Daddy, this story is so boring it's keeping me awake."

The two hot guys taking him to the club was amusing, but I was cringing as Louie walked toward the woman with his hands outstretched like a creepy pervert. Very funny.

I liked the little Cash Cab mention.

I thought the ending was sweet.

Milburn Stone

Milburn Stone

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2010 @ 8:19 AM

I'm going to continue to watch because it's a funny and interesting show but it's going to take some time for me to wrap my brain around what Louis C.K. is doing with this, I guess making it up as he goes along and changing things arbitrarily to make it convenient to the story.

I think a better way to look at it is that every episode comes from the real Louis C.K.'s imagination and where it takes him. Because he has an interesting mind, and strong access to his own thoughts and feelings and the courage to express them, his imagination leads him to places (both in his standup and in the enacted portions of the show) where I'm always glad to follow. These places feel integrated in coming from the heart and mind of one believable human being--they all show us something about how the real Louis C.K. feels about life, relationships, responsibilities, himself, love, society, other people, etc.; so they are thematically unified that way. If inconsistencies exist between episodes, that's because the same core human being is able to see things from different sides at different times, and have multilayered feelings about them. For me, all of this is not something to be "gotten past" in order to enjoy the show, it's essential to the show's goodness.

Edited by Milburn Stone, Sep 10, 2010 @ 2:47 PM.

Fisher King

Fisher King

Fanatic

Posted Sep 10, 2010 @ 8:56 PM

Great post, Milburn Stone.

I like not knowing what's going to happen from scene to scene. I may not care for some of the ideas or the end product, but that's the chance you take. Some work for me; some don't, but the couple of episodes that were letdowns for me doesn't lessen my enthusiasm or eagerness to watch the next episode. Louis CK's imaginings brought to TV is something I hope stays around for awhile.

This is what the Lucky Louie show on HBO should've been. Alas, timing is everything. Thankfully, FX has given him this chance.

chiefbroad

chiefbroad

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 11, 2010 @ 9:56 AM

@Milburn Stone. You really summed up how I feel about the show. Thanks for being so articulate where I couldn't.

I asked my former co-worker at the library today if he had seen Louie, since he watches a lot of comedy (like Sarah Silverman's now-canceled show). He said he tried to watch it, but he thought it was "too sick." He had watched the dentist episode, which wasn't in my top 3, despite the presence of Stephen Root.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Sep 11, 2010 @ 11:50 AM

There's a concert film called Louis CK: Hilarious that was a big hit at Sundance this year. I don't know if it's out everywhere, but I'm seeing it next week in NYC. Louis did a Q&A last week at a few of the shows, and of course they sold out ahead of time.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Sep 11, 2010 @ 2:47 PM

Oooo! That reminds me that I have Louis CK: Shameless on my DVR. I think I'll watch a bit of it while my son is out.

Milburn Stone

Milburn Stone

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2010 @ 6:16 PM

Yet another thing I thought was amazing about this inaugural season of Louie is how the final episode had this introspective, lonely, elegiac tone so that it felt like a final episode; one sensed the entire season had an arc, with a beginning, a middle and an end. Like a novel, more than episodic television. One more example of the unusual thoughtfulness and intelligence that went into this show.

Edited by Milburn Stone, Sep 16, 2010 @ 8:30 PM.

VnlaThndr775

VnlaThndr775

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 17, 2010 @ 10:11 AM

I got the impression from the last scene in the season finale that they didn't expect to get renewed for a second season. Seemed more like a series finale-type scene.

Milburn Stone

Milburn Stone

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2010 @ 11:55 AM

I think you're probably right in the sense that he was hedging his bets. I'm guessing he hoped for renewal, but didn't count on it, and wanted an episode that could feel like a "period on the sentence" either way.

I like that he thought that was important to do. I picture him saying, "Hey, crazier things could happen than me getting renewed, but either way, dammit, my ambition is to make a TV season that feels like it has a shape to it."

Edited by Milburn Stone, Sep 17, 2010 @ 12:00 PM.

Kosmonaut

Kosmonaut

Stalker

Posted Sep 19, 2010 @ 2:16 PM

I thought the ending was totally sweet. What's weird is that I had no idea it was the season finale until that very last scene. And then I was all, "Oh, is this the end, then?" Either way, it's good stuff.

The scenes with the babysitter were so surreal.

This show makes my heart swell. Something about it is so comforting. I don't know what I'll do without it. Sad.

Edited by Kosmonaut, Sep 19, 2010 @ 2:17 PM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Sep 20, 2010 @ 11:18 AM

Keep an eye out for Louis CK:Hilarious. It's a concert film that was very popular at Sundance this year, and is playing at a few theaters currently.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Sep 20, 2010 @ 5:21 PM

Yes, it's on EPIX. I think it was on this past Saturday, but I forgot to record it. I'm sure it'll be repeated a few times. I hope.

vanillachick

vanillachick

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 1, 2010 @ 6:01 AM

Just watched the whole series on Hulu bc I LOVED Louis CK's "Chewed Up".
Did NOT disappoint. Gotta love FX for not being afraid to step outta the box. SO glad it go renewed!

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Dec 21, 2010 @ 9:28 AM

Alan Sepinwall rated Louie one of the Ten Best New Shows of 2010:
http://www.hitfix.co...-best-new-shows

The AV Club agrees (and also calls it THE best NEW show):
http://www.avclub.co...f-2010,49229/3/

Edited by possibilities, Dec 21, 2010 @ 9:50 AM.

cpcathy

cpcathy

Fanatic

Posted Dec 21, 2010 @ 1:30 PM

I was happy to see Louie as one of the ten best shows. I really, really like this show. I think Louie is one of the funniest comedians out there; I loved Chewed Up. Was that the one where he calls deer "assholes?"

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Jan 10, 2011 @ 12:32 AM

Comedy Central has been re-running C.K.'s stand up -- I saw three different ones over the past few days. I am not sure what was cut (they ran 1 hour including commercials, so something must have been left out). It makes me wonder when the show is coming back.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jan 10, 2011 @ 10:29 AM

Hilarious is a new show, not a rerun. I think it premiered over the past few days. It was a 90 minute film in theaters earlier this year, so there must have been a lot cut out.

cpcathy

cpcathy

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2011 @ 11:28 AM

I went to bed early because I felt yucky, but really wanted to see Hilarious. I had caught Chewed Up again and it was hysterical--"You're not a woman until people are coming out of your vagina and stepping on your dreams."

cpcathy

cpcathy

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 5:28 PM

Bumping this thread to say that if you're a Louie fan, do watch Hilarious. I Netflixed it and just loved it. Funny guy, but with a solid morality to him. I won't say it's "hilarious," because, well, you'll see.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Jan 17, 2011 @ 6:43 PM

I watched Hilarious last night, and I was laughing from about 5 minutes in till the end of the show. I love when he rips on his kids. Lots of great stuff!

ZeroForce

ZeroForce

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2011 @ 2:27 AM

Hilarious as broadcast on CC was fine, but they cut ~30 minutes of material and bleeped him. It had been available for free streaming online, uncut, but I think that's done now. Still worth grabbing on DVD rental. Unfortunately, I don't know exactly what material got cut.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Jan 20, 2011 @ 11:58 AM

You can get it on Itunes as well. I listened to it and I have to say my favorite bits were the stuff about his kids. His 3 year old at breakfast reminds me of my 2 year old niece who is pretty much the same way any time a meal is served.

cpcathy

cpcathy

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2011 @ 2:44 PM

The three year old at breakfast was indeed hysterical, love his delivery. I also enjoyed the bit about the pack of single guys, there's always one short guy just following after them.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Jan 21, 2011 @ 2:36 PM

I always love his stuff about parenting the best. That combination of brutal exhaustion and helpless devotion....

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jan 24, 2011 @ 6:54 PM

Nice interview with Louis CK at Alan Sepinwall's blog.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Feb 23, 2011 @ 4:09 PM

Does anyone know when the show is coming back? Is it one of those summer things, or has anyone heard? I know they got renewed, but I can't remember if there was any news on how many episodes or when.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Feb 24, 2011 @ 7:02 PM

Thanks for that link, peeayebee. I especially loved his tweets, I hope the fact that he's, "not that man anymore" doesn't mean he isn't funny anymore or is no longer willing to be brutally honest.

Does anyone know when the show is coming back?

According to that interview it'll be back sometime this summer.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Mar 1, 2011 @ 12:21 PM

Hey, Hulu's Best In Show is happening, and Louie is trailing badly behind How I Met Your Mother. Vote your love.

Navin

Navin

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2011 @ 6:13 AM

I saw a promo last night during Lights Out. New season starts in June.