ILNative

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 7, 2010 @ 3:06 PM

That was a funny as hell, that line.

fauntleroy

fauntleroy

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 8, 2010 @ 9:56 AM

I'm a sort-of fan, Louie being a local boy. I was watching with the wife who just sat down with something to eat when Gervais starts going on about Louie's head looking like it was made out of diarrhea. Jesus Christ. Quickly change the channel and that's it for her. I'm saying but, Louie's pretty funny! Yea, right. So I saw the pilot and other two eps in the middle of the night alone. I don't think this show is going to appeal to many women.

I'm not young but I don't think it's an aversion to "blue" per se, but rather to gratuitous grossness. "Till her liver falls out of her asshole, ha ha ha!" Oh that's nice. This kind of stuff is more gross, disgusting and rude than it is funny I think. They could do without it. It irritates me that I sound like somebody's granny when saying that. I think the justification to for example Gervais' Dr. stuff is that it's a sendup--it takes the original idea and carries it to its absurdist conclusion, similar to Louie's careful explanation of "dicks up your mother's ass". Reductio ad absurdum. I get the idea, but still it strikes me as a cheat--having it both ways. As if by poking fun at grossness, you're exempt from the complaint that you're just another participant in the grossness. Well, you're not.

Similarly I remember him telling a sad story about getting a desultory handjob from his wife. That he was willing to channel such a thing into his standup was pathetic. Make fun of your own sorry self fine, but exploiting your own family members for the sake of a few cheap laughs? Not worth it.

Though I'll listen to Louie's standup, it's my least favorite part of the show. "Comedy" clubs give me creeps. Most of these guys, and it is mostly "guys", just sound like the prick at the bar with the loudest voice who thinks he's funny, holding forth from his barstool. And the crowd is trained to guffaw in a sort of aggressive way at every inane utterance, and you're a churl, or "don't have a sense of humor", if you don't. Just listen to the laughter during the standup in this show. What's worthy of a smile or a chuckle becomes a HAW HAW HAW! There's some weird depressing peer-pressure going on there.

The opening scene with him grabbing a slice then wandering onstage feels degenerate and anachronistic even. He looks like he slept in those clothes. Last time I was in a comedy club in Boston a few years ago, a couple of third-tier losers were on. It was a weekday. One went on about a trip to NH years ago, where they all got so drunk..Jesus man, hasn't anything funny happened to you more recently than 25 years ago? And is getting drunk still hilarious?

Louie's better when he gets outside. I enjoyed for example his confrontation with the useless bus driver--"So, where are we going?" "How do we get there?" "I don't know!". One of my kids had a ride in a van with a driver so impaired the teacher had to force him to stop, then drove the van home the rest of the way himself. My kids have been on buses that have gotten lost going to the Museum of Science and the MFA in Boston. And we're only half an hour from Boston. Where do they get these assholes? The driver's "I don't need this shit" attitude was spot on.

Louie's a good writer and even a good actor. I hope he can take the next step and break free of the brick wall. Liberate yourself from those dank standup venues and get out into the light of day. Come to think of it the early Seinfeld episodes were structured the same way, but as I recall over time they were dispensed with.

Edited by fauntleroy, Jul 8, 2010 @ 9:59 AM.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Jul 8, 2010 @ 10:18 AM

Similarly I remember him telling a sad story about getting a desultory handjob from his wife. That he was willing to channel such a thing into his standup was pathetic. Make fun of your own sorry self fine, but exploiting your own family members for the sake of a few cheap laughs? Not worth it.

Comedians have been making fun of their wives and using them for material for like forever.

And is getting drunk still hilarious?

Yes, if there's a funny story involved. Nick Swardson and Dave Atell have hilarious drunk stories.

Edited by Limbonaut, Jul 8, 2010 @ 10:21 AM.

fauntleroy

fauntleroy

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 8, 2010 @ 11:44 AM

Comedians have been making fun of their wives and using them for material for like forever.

My wife was at the beauty shop for two hours. That was only for the estimate.

Louie's stories went well beyond Henny Youngman though. Imagine being married to somebody who would use a situation like that for their material. Now of course he's divorced. She suffered for his "art". He does have talent though--he's more than just another misogynist.

The drinking stuff just strikes me as anachronistic. Still doing that?

Alenore

Alenore

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 8, 2010 @ 4:49 PM

I don't think this show is going to appeal to many women.

I'm a woman and I love this show! Then again I loved The Aristocrats, which a female friend walked out on after 5 minutes when we saw it in the theater. I don't mind gross-out humor, and I love Ricky Gervais, so I thought this episode was great. My husband was laughing so hard at one point he had to pause the DVR and wipe the tears from his eyes.

When a comedian does jokes about his wife (or kids) I never assume the stories are anything close to true. It's just a hook to get the audience involved. I mean, when they tell a story, whether it's on the set of a talk show or in their sand-up routine, it's just that, a story, it may be completely fictional (or absolutely true) I've got no way of knowing unless I know the comedian.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Jul 8, 2010 @ 5:58 PM

I'm a woman and I love the show. I didn't think of the Ricky Gervais stuff as gross out humor. I thought it was about how degrading many doctors are! That's a subject every woman I know can relate to!

I love that C.K. does jokes about the same stuff a lot of female comics do, but applies it to his male self. The humiliations of gynecology are legion. Why not the humiliations of rectal exams and having your penis judged by a man in a white coat?

I also took the hand job story as being about the humiliation of being rejected by your spouse. To me it was less about criticizing his wife as it was about how mortifying it is to want sex when your partner doesn't, and to settle for less than fabulous experiences because... life is just humiliating that way, sometimes. I take those jokes as being about himself and his ambivalence about his own sexuality. He talks a lot about his body and his appetites (food as well as sex) grossing himself out.

He has a bit I think must have been in one of his stand up acts (and not on the show) about how women seem to enjoy masturbation but for him, although he needs to do it regularly, he always feels humiliated after. I don't see his act as misogynistic. I see it as hapless and self-deprecating.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Jul 9, 2010 @ 10:33 AM

His story about cookies is a great example of Louis doing bits where he's the main source of humiliation. It just makes Louis so pathetic but it's funny.

The drinking stuff just strikes me as anachronistic. Still doing that?

As long as people drink (which they'll never stop) and find newer, stupider things to do while drunk(e.g. drunk texting), it'll still be a source of material.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jul 9, 2010 @ 11:30 AM

I think Colbert just reported on a story of college kids doing shots into their eyes to try and get drunk faster. It's an unending stream.

uclagirl

uclagirl

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2010 @ 12:24 PM

The opening scene with him grabbing a slice then wandering onstage feels degenerate and anachronistic even.

Do you mean "dated"? I'm not sure how it would be anachronistic, unless it's supposed to be happening in A Time Before Pizza. I'm not sure it's dated, either, although I guess it could be overused.

I don't think this show is going to appeal to many women.

I saw bits of Lucky Louie and didn't care for it, but I liked Louis C.K. very much on Parks & Rec. This show cracked me up repeatedly, so I'll keep watching. I suppose, therefore, that some women will find it funny, and some will not. Must remember to set DVR--I think I've missed at least one episode inadvertently.

While the date scene seemed odd (good idea, strange execution), I loved the bus driver and field trip scene. And I agree that the poker scene did a great job of being crassly funny, addressing a serious topic seriously, and showing genuine affection among friends. There was a lot going on there, and I don't see that complex presentation a lot. Very nicely done.

fauntleroy

fauntleroy

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 9, 2010 @ 2:44 PM

The opening scene with him grabbing a slice then wandering onstage feels degenerate and anachronistic even.

Do you mean "dated"? I'm not sure how it would be anachronistic, unless it's supposed to be happening in A Time Before Pizza. I'm not sure it's dated, either, although I guess it could be overused.

Ha, did I say that! I was thinking of the whole schtick--wolf down a slice, down the stairs, stand in front of that damn brick wall, grab the mike, start yakking. Seems like it belongs to another time--the '80s-'90s. Identical to the structure of the early Seinfeld episodes. He's channeling Jerry circa 1990. A throwback to the last standup boom.

I've come off too harsh and in retrospect (after lo this one day since my earlier entry--more careless use of time terms) it's really just the standup venue I don't like. Easing off on the diarrhea- and cocksucking-based humor is apparently asking too much these days, so I'll just hope that he ventures away from the brick wall into the light of day more often, because that's when the show picks up I think. Also I hope some other regular characters join in, and not just the guys at the poker table. I wonder who babysits his kids while he's out at night.

I liked the scene where he visited now grown-up Tammy. Seems like he should have returned the bracelet!

Edited by fauntleroy, Jul 9, 2010 @ 4:05 PM.

chiefbroad

chiefbroad

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 11, 2010 @ 8:11 AM

I'm with Alenore. I am a woman who finds dirty, blue humor hilarious. The whole "your mother and a bunch of d**ks" conversation around the poker table on the 2nd episode of Louie had me cracking up.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Jul 13, 2010 @ 11:35 PM

I love how everyone cheered for the new dad showing up for a PTA meeting, but nothing for the new mom. So true.

Also was relieved that the playdate did NOT end with the two parents hooking up. But I was worried about the drunk mom driving home, and thought it fairly shocking that he just let her take a kid in the car in that state. Also, it's pretty intense that the kid obviously was used to the mom's drunkeness. Just leaving that hang was something else. That, and the smoking. This show definitely isn't kissing anyone's ass.

jbreckenridge

jbreckenridge

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2010 @ 1:35 AM

Nice to see Louie and his sitcom wife together again.

Standoffish

Standoffish

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 14, 2010 @ 4:50 AM

Saddest. Playdate. Ever.

I'm loving this show.

Navin

Navin

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2010 @ 7:51 AM

But I was worried about the drunk mom driving home, and thought it fairly shocking that he just let her take a kid in the car in that state.

Doesn't the show take place in New York, where nobody owns a car? I assumed she took the subway, bus or called a cab.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Jul 14, 2010 @ 8:51 AM

Yeah, they all live in NYC so I assumed they took the subway too.

Loved Louie and the mom. The actress also played Louie's wife on Lucky Louie and they still work great together.

Liked the bit with Louie hooking up with the younger woman and her getting turned on by how old he is!

Edited by Limbonaut, Jul 14, 2010 @ 9:05 AM.

JessicaLovejoy

JessicaLovejoy

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2010 @ 10:42 AM

I was thinking of the whole schtick--wolf down a slice, down the stairs, stand in front of that damn brick wall, grab the mike, start yakking. Seems like it belongs to another time--the '80s-'90s.

Seems pretty spot on for Louie. His humor can be out there, but otherwise he seems very low key. Even in his big specials that have a packed house and are being aired on HBO, he's just wearing jeans and a tee, and it kind of looks like what he's been wearing all day. I think a big, showy title sequence would be out of place.

I love how everyone cheered for the new dad showing up for a PTA meeting, but nothing for the new mom. So true.

"I work!"

Am I seeing things, or did that little boy have a wispy 'stache?!

Edited by JessicaLovejoy, Jul 14, 2010 @ 10:43 AM.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jul 14, 2010 @ 1:04 PM

Another woman here who's enjoying the show. (I'm over 50 to boot.) Obviously the language and subject matter here will turn off lots of people, but it works for me. Elsewhere sometimes I find gross-out humor is too much. Maybe that's when it seems purely (or impurely) for the shock value. I'm not sure.

Anyway, I'm loving this. I watched one or two eps of Lucky Louie and just couldn't like it much. I also disliked Pamela Adlon, but I really like her here. I hope she'll be a recurring character.

The PTA meeting was hilarious with various parents offering their own idiosyncratic ideas about improving the school. No wonder the teacher doesn't use them. Love when Louie said that school is supposed to suck. He might not have put it the best way, but it made a lot of sense.

I also loved the little scenes with the bizarro therapist. I didn't see his name on the credits. Anyone know who he was?

Oh, and the FX warning that there was nudity... I didn't see any nudity, not like the previous ep when we saw Louis CK's butt.

chiefbroad

chiefbroad

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 14, 2010 @ 1:57 PM

@peeayebee The actor who played Louie's therapist is David Patrick Kelly. Though a lot older, I instantly recognized him from the film "The Warriors". He's the bad guy, Luther, who says "Warriors killed Cyrus" and "Warriors, come out to plaaaayy-ayyyy."

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Jul 14, 2010 @ 1:59 PM

I really wish I was finding the rest of this show as funny as the stand-up portions. Last night was the first time I thought the actual story was worthwhile at all, but that was as much because the stand-up wasn't as funny this week as in other episodes. I love Louie, but I'm not really on board with the show yet.

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

Posted Jul 14, 2010 @ 2:23 PM

David Patrick Kelly was also a mainstay of Twin Peaks. And I recall him from movies like Dreamscape and Flirting with Disaster.

Edited by Rinaldo, Jul 14, 2010 @ 3:21 PM.

mutualcraze

mutualcraze

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 14, 2010 @ 2:44 PM

"I remember when you could smoke on airplanes" totally killed it for me for some reason. This show started off a little shaky but is finding its footing more and more with each ep.

pfk505

pfk505

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 14, 2010 @ 3:54 PM

I love the show, but I'm a bit biased since I'm a huge fan of Louis C.K. My one issue is that the vignettes seem a little too abrupt at times, which is mainly because of intercutting them with the standup scenes. 22 minutes goes by too fast and what we're left with really isn't much, after all. I think the show would benefit from 8 more minutes per episode, but alas FX is not
Showtime or HBO.

Loved the playdate this week. Almost lost my shit waiting for Louie to come up with his "worst thought about your kids", having seen some of his standup I thought it would be much, much worse!

More Norton & DiPaolo would be great too, I hope we get to see some more of Louie's friends.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jul 14, 2010 @ 8:09 PM

@peeayebee The actor who played Louie's therapist is David Patrick Kelly. Though a lot older, I instantly recognized him from the film "The Warriors". He's the bad guy, Luther, who says "Warriors killed Cyrus" and "Warriors, come out to plaaaayy-ayyyy."

Thanks. I never saw 'The Warriors,' but I know it was referenced in Community with exactly that line: "Warriors, come out to plaaaayy-ayyyy." Well, not exactly that line. I can't remember what the character said instead of warriors. Anyway, just checked IMDB. 'The Warriors' was his first film role. And I see he played President Truman in 'Flags of Our Fathers.'

Edited by peeayebee, Jul 14, 2010 @ 8:10 PM.

Setlist

Setlist

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2010 @ 9:40 PM

I like Louis CK, and I was looking forward to tuning in. But, I'm not sure how I feel about it. I like the stand-up very much, but everything else is oddly dark to me. I kind of think I'd like it more if it was either continuously funny, or continuously a bit dramatic. Glad that he didn't end up hooking up with the PTA Mom, but the whole "son recognized her alcohol intake effects" left me stunned.

I kind of hope it's all "season one" effect for me, and the show gets more organized if it's picked up for a second season.

ccridernyc

ccridernyc

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2010 @ 10:03 PM

I'm a woman and I love this show! Then again I loved The Aristocrats

I am a woman who finds dirty, blue humor hilarious.

My people! Hello Louis appreciators. I keep forgetting this show started - have only caught bits. Always enjoy Lou's standup. A quickie clip about his daughter being an asshole always tickles me: Put your shoes on.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Jul 14, 2010 @ 10:22 PM

Loved the playdate this week. Almost lost my shit waiting for Louie to come up with his "worst thought about your kids", having seen some of his standup I thought it would be much, much worse!

Me too! I remember when he was on The Daily Show and he started off talking about his daughter being "an asshole" and Jon laughed in a "this is so wrong" kind of way. Louie then followed with "First off, don't defend you don't know!" That was hilarious.

Glad that he didn't end up hooking up with the PTA Mom, but the whole "son recognized her alcohol intake effects" left me stunned.

I would have been more depressed that he thought she was just sleeping. Him knowing at least he can take care of himself.

Edited by Limbonaut, Jul 14, 2010 @ 10:23 PM.

Fisher King

Fisher King

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2010 @ 11:17 PM

LOVE Louis CK and kept forgetting when this show would air, then accidentally found the first 3 eps On Demand late last night.

I'm loving the quirky, unexpected segments. The first episode was a little unsure and awkward for me until Louie's date scrammed toward the idling helicopter and he watched it fly away. I burst out laughing and scared my dog.

The poker game conversation is classic. So harsh, so tender. I've seen most of those comedians on Letterman. Hope this is a recurring segment.

I don't believe I've heard quite this much blue language on basic cable before. Love it.

Looking forward to catching up with the rest.....

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Jul 15, 2010 @ 12:08 AM

My wife was at the beauty shop for two hours. That was only for the estimate.

My wife called me and said, "come over; no one's home." She was right; I got there and the house was empty.

I think Louis is kind of you're in or out, there's not much in between. I'm in and I think there's a lot more going on than just talking about a bad hand job or getting drunk. I think the whole poker table scene was a pretty, subtle, smart discussion. And hilarious. "I don't talk to my mother every day, how the hell should I know." There was similar discussion about Sarah Silverman's show in the same way.

Louis' type of comedy I think is really hard because it's about him just putting himself out there and really humiliating himself. I'm glad he's got a new show. I liked the HBO show, but I think a standard sitcom format restricts what he can do.