Louie

• Please log in to reply

1343 replies to this topic

Alenore

Alenore

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 25, 2010 @ 9:23 AM

Louis CK's show Louie starts this Tuesday, June 29 on FX. It getting some pretty good reviews. Un-Comfort Zone: Comic Louis CK's new show follows no rules -- and that's how he likes it FX Comedy "Louie" Puts You in a New York State of Mind

I love his stand-up, and I liked his HBO show Lucky Louis. I'm looking forward to this, hope it's as good as the ads I've seen.

Kosmonaut

Kosmonaut

Stalker

Posted Jun 25, 2010 @ 10:36 AM

Words can't express how excited I am about this show. I love his stand up, and I'm still bummed about Lucky Louie lasting only one season.

I'm just glad that it's finally almost here.

jbreckenridge

jbreckenridge

Fanatic

Posted Jun 29, 2010 @ 11:39 PM

This is a very different style of show. Cringe-comedy in vignettes rather than a continuous plot, to illustrate a standup routine.

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 12:11 AM

I liked it, I think, although I felt like it was a show that isn't quite sure what it is. Or maybe I'm not quite sure what it is.

I thought the standup was pretty solid. I also enjoyed the vignette style of the show. It could be interesting and I wonder if they'll eventually develop some recurring characters.

I felt that the strongest sections were the poker scenes. I also enjoyed the end credits of the first episode when he was walking with his two daughters and one decided she was tired and stopped. That, and even the poker scene, had an incredible feeling of realism to them.

The awkward date had the least amount of realism with contrivance (which I can take) to absurdity which I felt was out of place.

I'm willing to give this show a shot if only because, for some strange reason, I got a Flight of the Conchords vibe from it. (I don't have a clue as to why. Maybe the awkward loser feeling of it?)

Navin

Navin

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 6:51 AM

I really enjoyed it, and I'm not a big Louis CK fan. In fact, I never even heard of him until he was on Parks and Recreation.

Lots of laugh out loud moments, and I love CK's cynical, almost absurdist sense of humor. I'm impressed that he also writes and directs the show.

Were all the guys at the poker game comedians? The only one I recognized was Jim Norton.

This is kind of unrelated - but it was nice to see that It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and Sons of Anarchy are coming back in September.

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 7:10 AM

It's interesting to see a half-hour comedy show that owes almost nothing to the sitcom traditions of structure and pacing: standup interspersed with what amounts to short films (and they don't always even illustrate what he was talking about... just other bits of his* life).

(*"His", that is -- the fictionalized version of Louie, who has similarities to the real one but isn't identical.)

I think I liked the poker scenes the most, too.

Smagu

Smagu

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 7:10 AM

The opening poker scene is one of the funniest things I've seen in a long, long time. Very good start, hope he can maintain this level throughout.

lokison

lokison

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 7:52 AM

I got a Flight of the Conchords vibe from it, too, although I attributed it to the setting more than anything else. I love me some Louis CK, and I enjoyed the show, especially the poker scenes.

Wackadoo82

Wackadoo82

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 8:33 AM

It's shocking how informative and thoughtful the conversation about the word faggot was. It was truly refreshing to have a realistic/thought provoking converation like that on t.v.

ILNative

ILNative

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 9:27 AM

Were all the guys at the poker game comedians? The only one I recognized was Jim Norton.

Nick DiPaolo and Rick Crum were the only names I put with faces. The other guy -- not Jim Norton -- is also a stand-up comic, but I can't for the life of me remember his name. And Bobby Kelly, who did Tourgasm with Dane Cook, is playing Louie's brother (in the diner scene).

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 10:33 AM

I really enjoyed it, and I'm not a big Louis CK fan. In fact, I never even heard of him until he was on Parks and Recreation.

He's one of the best comedians out there. I first saw him Conan years where he was a writer in the early years. I also saw him on an episode of the animated Dr. Katz on Comedy Central. This is one of my favorite rountines.

Edited by Limbonaut, Jun 30, 2010 @ 10:44 AM.

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 11:07 AM

And one of my favorites of his, which kind of sums up his outlook: being irritated by how people aren't appreciative of the miracles of the time we live in: Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy.

JessicaLovejoy

JessicaLovejoy

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 12:58 PM

Further comedian watch: the guy who yells about needing to take a dump and then disappears is Jay Oakerson. Love him.

Edited by JessicaLovejoy, Jun 30, 2010 @ 1:23 PM.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 1:18 PM

I liked it a lot, but I am middle aged. I also agree the date was too one-sided and went too far into the surreal. I'm also going to get tired of the mood lighting if they do it all the time. I know NYC has smog, but come on! I don't want to get eyestrain watching TV.

My first intro to C.K. was on P&R, also. Since then, I've been getting his stand up off of Netflix. I like him best when he's talking about being a parent, and saying middle aged moms with worn out bodies and crushed dreams are sexy to him. He somehow manages to make it sound empathetic, not hostile.

He's also the only male comedian I can think of who does fat jokes about himself that are pretty much the same as the kind women do. It's like he gets the self-hate. So, um... equality, rah?

Anyway, the show is pretty far to the fringes of what I expect to be able to see on TV, and unless he develops a major cult following, I figure it won't last. But kudos to him for getting FX to sign him to an unrestricted contract, and for making the most of it while it lasts. I'll be watching for sure.

Marla Singer

Marla Singer

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 1:46 PM

I really enjoy his standup and think he is ridiculously funny. I didn't really know what to expect from the show but I think it's off to a strong start. The date was a bit over the top but I liked the poker episode.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 7:46 PM

Were all the guys at the poker game comedians?

Yes. The ones not named above are Hannibal Burress & Eddie Brill.

I liked it, but I like Louis CK anyway. I didn't realize he was divorced.

Edited by braggtastic, Jun 30, 2010 @ 7:47 PM.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Jun 30, 2010 @ 8:19 PM

I found out he got divorced when I read an article about his new standup feature film.

Alenore

Alenore

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 1, 2010 @ 8:57 AM

I liked it a lot. I also got a Flight of the Choncords vibe, probably because of the more realistic (than usual for a sitcom) New York locations, plus the occasoinal swerve into surreal situations, like his date jumping into the helicopter. I too thought the best part was the poker game, I hope this is a regular feature. It reminded me a little of the show Tough Crowd (on which Jim Norton and Nick DePaulo were regular guests.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jul 1, 2010 @ 10:41 AM

I got more of a Curb Your Enthusiasm/Ricky Gervais cringe humor vibe, but I see where you're coming from with Conchords.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Jul 1, 2010 @ 11:12 AM

I like the unexpected turns in both episodes. I love how not only his date got into the helicopter but went way off into the distance. All in one shot! The guy playing his brother is also a comedian, Robert Kelly.

Other great Louis CK standup routines are where he talks about his mancrush on Ewan McGregor, the difference between girls and women and why Deer SUCK.

hoodooznoodooz

hoodooznoodooz

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 1, 2010 @ 8:09 PM

Wackadoo82: It's shocking how informative and thoughtful the conversation about the word faggot was. It was truly refreshing to have a realistic/thought provoking conversation like that on t.v.

I totally agree. I thought it was very enlightening and sensitive. I don't know if it was improvised or scripted, but if it was scripted, the acting was very convincing. Yet I thought it was hilarious when the guy sitting next to him replies, "Thanks, faggot. We'll keep that in mind." I hope that doesn't make me a bad person.

I also loved: "Your mom shoves old dicks up her ass [or something like that] blah blah blah...."
"Is that true?"
"I don't know. I don't talk to her everyday."

I thought the two episodes were very uneven, but the good moments were really good.

Navin

Navin

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2010 @ 8:58 AM

I want to thank everyone who posted YouTube links. I've been watching them, and it's some of the funniest standup I've ever seen.

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted Jul 4, 2010 @ 1:46 AM

It's shocking how informative and thoughtful the conversation about the word faggot was. It was truly refreshing to have a realistic/thought provoking converation like that on t.v.

Well, even better since it was also funny at the same time.

So far this show has mostly been made of win.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Jul 4, 2010 @ 2:57 AM

I first heard what "faggot" originally meant from a young guy who was my high school homeroom teacher talk about it. He wasn't gay and this is not me being too young to know because I had a history teacher in middle school who I could tell was definitely gay without him saying it. Anyway it was I knew it came from "burning sticks" so whenever I saw a show or movie set in England and they'd say "Can I have a 'fag' I knew it meant cigarette!

Other funny Louis CK bits: The difference between boys and girls. Talking about his bad experience promoting "Lucky Louie" on The View years ago and Duck Vaginas.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Jul 7, 2010 @ 8:02 AM

The sadistic doctor was only slightly worse than doctors I've seen in real life. "Yes, Doctor, it's very ugly."

The escalation of a political disagreement into instant Nazi-calling and physical violence was also just barely exaggerated beyond things I've seen.

Also: "Do you miss your wife?" "No."

I love how he manages to be the straight man to his own jokes, and how he can take stuff and exaggerate it just a little bit, to make the show sooooo good.

Nice, ass, Lou! (Honest ass is the best kind.)

I do find the show goes by extremely fast. It feels like way less than a half hour show usually feels.

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

Posted Jul 7, 2010 @ 8:28 AM

The sadistic doctor was only slightly worse than doctors I've seen in real life.

Especially factoring in the (equally real) phenomenon of people who know or deal with professional comedians, and think that that gives them permission to do endless "bits" and put-ons.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Jul 7, 2010 @ 9:27 AM

I always knew Louis and Nick DiPaulo have somewhat different political viewpoints so this was a nice insight to see how they still get along in real life.

I love Todd Barry's stand up and kind of disappointed he didn't have a lot of lines.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jul 7, 2010 @ 10:47 AM

I'm fb friends w/Barry & he posted to watch Louie for his one line, then turn it off to save electricity, so I knew he wouldn't have much of a part.

I know Louis & Ricky are friends and he was funny in the role, but why have them supposed to be high school friends? In what world does someone who sounds like Ricky go to high school in NY? I wish there had been some other way for them to be acquainted. I also know that's basically the way Ricky treats Louis in real life (without the digital rape). Ricky loves surrounding himself with comics on a lesser level of fame so he can mock to his heart's content.

Edited by braggtastic, Jul 7, 2010 @ 1:16 PM.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Jul 7, 2010 @ 12:33 PM

Louis told a funny embarassing story on Conan's Tonight Show about when he was filming The Invention of Lying starring Ricky. They were shooting a wedding scene where The Daily Show's John Hodgeman plays a priest and Louis and Ricky are guests in a crowded church. During the shoot Hodgeman messes up a line. Hodgeman of course is on those commercials as "I'm a PC" guy. Louis suddenly gets the idea of a funny thing to say when Hodgeman flubs again. He whispers Ricky sitting next to him about it and that it's going to be hilarious. He really builds it up and says it's going to bring the house down. But Hodgeman says the next few takes perfectly so Louis asks him to intentionally mess up the next time. So Hodgeman does and Louis yells out awkwardly "Y-you should have gotten a Mac!". No reaction! No laughs, Just dead silence. And Ricky looks at him and starts to realize: "No....no! That was it?!" and Ricky has go on to tease him about it, calling him up on the phone, "Should have gotten a Mac!"

Edited by Limbonaut, Jul 7, 2010 @ 12:42 PM.

zelmia

zelmia

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2010 @ 12:43 PM

I don't know if it was improvised or scripted, but if it was scripted, the acting was very convincing. Yet I thought it was hilarious when the guy sitting next to him replies, "Thanks, faggot. We'll keep that in mind." I hope that doesn't make me a bad person.

Not at all. It was exactly what would really happen in that situation. I thought they let the tension hang there just long enough for that zinger to be effective as a punchline, but also to show the true affection in the group.