Downfall

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

15 replies to this topic

Marq DeCarabas

Marq DeCarabas

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2010 @ 8:22 PM

Don't see a thread for this yet.

Answering trivia questions while watching your prizes fall off a building, hosted by Chris Jericho

website

boilergal

boilergal

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2010 @ 8:48 PM

Watching it now... they need to put the questions on the screen while they are showing the items drop off the conveyor belt. Many times I couldn't hear/see the question because they were focusing on the crap falling off the building.

I thought this would be mildly entertaining, but it isn't even that - won't watch this again.

Kalidah

Kalidah

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 22, 2010 @ 9:05 PM

Wrestling fan here who tuned in just for the spectacle of the Ayatollah of Rock-n-Rolla hosting a game show. But, yeah, that was Idiocracy-level dumb.

JakeyIsSusan

JakeyIsSusan

Fanatic

• Interests:television (duh!), pro wrestling, pop culture, awards shows, writing, dreaming, procrastinating

Posted Jun 22, 2010 @ 9:08 PM

I thought it was surprisingly entertaining, and inoffensive summer TV (of course, like Kalidah, I tuned in mainly for Jericho).

Screamie

Screamie

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2010 @ 1:37 AM

He couldn't name Hugh Jackman or Buzz Lightyear. Alas, I might watch again. One might wonder why you couldn't just give all that crap to a family in need instead of fulfilling America's insane interest in things crashing.

LakeGal

LakeGal

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2010 @ 9:54 AM

This wasn't what I expected. I thought it was boring and moved too slowly. Too much talking and not enough game. And I agree they need to show the viewers the questions on the screen. Whenever they cut away to show things falling I didn't even catch the questions they continued to ask. Bad photograpy. Doubt I will watch again.

the boxer

the boxer

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 23, 2010 @ 12:29 PM

I agree with the boring comments. Gotta say I was most disappointed in Jericho ( although it was no fault of his ). Chris is, IMO, the best heel performer in wrestling today, and I know it's a act, but I don't want to see Chris Jericho, nice guy. I love his wrestling heel personna too much to accept anything less. Maybe they could let him throw the prizes off the building or push the contestants over the edge. Even a walls of Jericho would do it for me.

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2010 @ 11:25 PM

I can't think of anything stupider in bad economic times, than a game where either someone wins something or it gets destroyed.

equinoxx

equinoxx

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2010 @ 5:41 AM

I can't think of anything stupider in bad economic times, than a game where either someone wins something or it gets destroyed.

Jericho did say at the beginning of the show that they were replicas, not the actual prizes. I'm thinking fiberglass castings.

What most amuses me is how they keep saying they're playing on top of a skyscraper, and I keep saying to myself, "six stories is all you need to qualify as a skyscraper? Really?!"

Little Mac2

Little Mac2

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 24, 2010 @ 11:38 AM

I actually liked it. I think that they really need to hire a game show announcer and the Price is Right's marketing director. They could make a ton of money from sponsorship and it would help put more tension on the contestant (You don't care if you lose a generic car, but a "Ford Mustang"). Also, they should have any prizes won guaranteed throughout the game. The money is at risk at all time.

I think that by the end of the summer, it could be a entertaining show if they tweaked it a bit more. It came out a bit too early, and I don't think it will survive long enough for them to get it right.

jbreckenridge

jbreckenridge

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2010 @ 1:20 PM

It doesn't seem fair that in the later rounds the conveyor belt goes faster and also they have to answer more questions. It will be like impossible to answer them all before the first prize drops.

LakeGal

LakeGal

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2010 @ 8:11 AM

I found the following interesting. It was in an article about the show.

However, like a lot of this six-episode series, the prizes are phony. They are mere replicas of the actual prizes, built to fly apart upon impact. In a sense, even the top prize of $1 million is phony. Small print during the closing credits, legible only with the assistance of a pause button, explains that in the event there is a grand-prize winner, which seems highly unlikely, the money will be paid out over 40 years ($25,000 a year). Or the winner can get a lump sum based on net present value (perhaps about $200,000, depending on assumptions about future interest rates).

Fukui San

Fukui San

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2010 @ 8:24 AM

I found the following interesting. It was in an article about the show.

That's pretty much how all lottery prizes are awarded.

Kalidah

Kalidah

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 26, 2010 @ 12:55 PM

The concept of the game puts the producers in a spot where they can't satisfy everyone. If they destroy real prizes, they get dinged for wretched excess in the middle of a severe recession. But using replicas naturally opens them to accusations of bait-and-switch.

Luther Heggs

Luther Heggs

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 7, 2010 @ 5:24 PM

Saw it last night. Chris Jericho was OK, but at the end of the day, these shows rise and fall on the annoyingness of the contestants. Auntie Yo-Yo was extremely annoying, and the Supermom who followed her was almost as bad. On a related subject, how tall is Jericho? Because she was a good couple inches taller than him.

Kalidah

Kalidah

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 12, 2010 @ 12:45 PM

Jericho is about 5'10", from what I've heard. (WWE bills him as 6', but they lie like rugs when it comes to wrestlers' size, and he wears lifts in his boots.)