• Please log in to reply

7709 replies to this topic

mlp

mlp

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 8, 2013 @ 2:21 PM

Here is an answer to where this show is filmed:
http://answers.yahoo...12082514AAVlPZ6 

Thanks, Cooksdelight.  I see I'm not the first person who wondered about it.  I'm still not sure though because those comments are three years old plus this is the first season I've been able to get Master Chef so I didn't understand the references to previous seasons.

There's enough hunger in the US to be enraged about, but I was also thinking about people all over the world and their reactions to this stupidity.  "I can't even get clean water in my village, & 5 of my 6 babies died of starvation, and some Americans just did what???  For a GAME?!?" 

I'm going to go on FOX's website to see if any of this waste issue has been addressed.  What do they do with the leftovers?

That's exactly what I thought.  Let us know if you find out anything.

what does bother me is if she was actually a professional pastry chef since the competition is supposed to be for amateur cooks.

Yes.  She didn't get hired by Thomas Keller on the basis of making "flaccid" eclairs on Master Chef.  Something in that whole scenario is very wrong/fictitious.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Aug 8, 2013 @ 2:24 PM

She's not a true professional by any means, just the run of the mill reality show fame whore, in my estimation.

She is getting paid to work as a pastry chef at an extremely well-rated cafe/restaurant known for their pastries which means she is a professional pastry chef. Yes, Bouchon is a chain but super well-respected and working for Thomas Keller's restaurant group is something that many pastray chefs would kill for, add I the fact that she is 22 and and apparently doesn't have a formal culinary education and its even more rare.

Edited by biakbiak, Aug 8, 2013 @ 2:25 PM.

muffaletta

muffaletta

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 8, 2013 @ 2:30 PM

And really if Krissi is just an actor playing a part.... she's done a dumb dumb thing in taking a role where she's the nasty villian no one likes and she can never ever admit that it wasn't real. (and I genuinely think thats also getting a little too conspiracy theory- is it really so hard to cast non actors on a reality show and score a hateful bitch?)

I don't think the producers of these shows would want to work with a real hateful bitch.  It's much easier to direct a person who is willing to take direction and do what they want them to do even if it isn't real.  I haven't found that hateful bitches are inclined to please or take direction from anyone, even producers.  I would think they wouldn't need that headache.

She is getting paid to work as a pastry chef at an extremely well-rated cafe/restaurant known for their pastries which means she is a professional pastry chef. Yes, Bouchon is a chain but super well-respected and working for Thomas Keller's restaurant group is something that many pastray chefs would kill for, add I the fact that she is 22 and and apparently doesn't have a formal education and its even more rare.

How do you reconcile the website and what she says about herself there with the pastry chef rumor?  The two seem incongruent to me.  All that seems to make sense to me given the website and the rumor is that something is not genuine about her and either she is a pastry chef faking at being a "home cook" or she is a model/actress who is playing a role and faking being a home cook, or both.  I really doubt given what I've seen so far that she is genuine anything.

Uncle Benzene

Uncle Benzene

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 8, 2013 @ 2:34 PM

So Krissi is cool because she's just doing what the evil producers are telling her to do, and the real bitch here is Bri because she wears different clothes at other times in other environments, and also she apparently sometimes gets paid to bake. Awesome.

ipj

ipj

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2013 @ 2:37 PM

Like ZoloftBob, I really don't get what would be accomplished by tossing a professional pastry chef into the mix. It's weird. And I type that as someone who very often sees production straining to manufacture things.

As for Bri's look on the show being very deliberate: um, yes. Likewise Natasha, James, Luca, Jessie, everyone else. Production has a lot of say in this: viewers don't want to get confused by someone changing their appearance slightly mid-taping. (Though I think they could cope with the idea that people cook with their long hair pulled back.)

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Aug 8, 2013 @ 2:43 PM

How do you reconcile the website and what she says about herself there with the pastry chef rumor? The two seem incongruent to me

The website is two years old. Plenty of 20 year olds change what they want to do/be. It's not a contradiction at all. Heck being a pastry chef and also wanting to be an actress/model wouldn't be that odd. It appears her long term dream is to open modern Burlesque club with a twist. Bless her heart, by the time she gets the money a d experience together maybe that idea won't seem so dated and have made a comeback!

muffaletta

muffaletta

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 8, 2013 @ 2:43 PM

So Krissi is cool because she's just doing what the evil producers are telling her to do, and the real bitch here is Bri because she wears different clothes at other times in other environments, and also she apparently sometimes gets paid to bake. Awesome.

No, neither of them are what they appear to be, that's all I've ever said.  I think that Krissi was chosen to play the role of villain and Bri was chosen to be the golden child.  I don't like anyone trying to pass themselves off as a genuine "golden child" or a genuine "villain" when they are really actors playing a role.  The golden child gets all the sympathy and love while the villain gets cursed and reviled.  It's different when the audience knows they're just playing a role but when they are being passed off as real life people, that's not right, IMHO.  I think it scams the audience.

ZoloftBlob

ZoloftBlob

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2013 @ 2:49 PM

I don't think the producers of these shows would want to work with a real hateful bitch. It's much easier to direct a person who is willing to take direction and do what they want them to do even if it isn't real. I haven't found that hateful bitches are inclined to please or take direction from anyone, even producers. I would think they wouldn't need that headache.

But again, much like hiring Bri as a ringer, what is the point in hiring the in theory nice as pie Krissi and intentionally ordering her to flip people off and say fuck every ten seconds... on a *reality* show? I mean yes, I understand the idea of creating drama, but for this to work, basically why have a try out process at all and is anyone a *real* person? Or is Krissi the actress plant? So Bri and Krissi are *both* plants? Is anyone else "being told by the producer how to act"?

And does Krissi Biasello have any responsibility for her actions since she's putting on an act at the behest of the producers and doesn't really behave this way? And per the terms of the show is insisting this is her real personality and she's not an actress?

*Mind you, I think this is a lot of conspiracy wanking. Since reality tv began, there's always someone crying at the end of the day that they were edited and the producers forced them to do x,y, and z. The truth? Based on Krissi's twitter and facebook attitude? I don't believe she's putting on an act. And I don't see how intentionally wrecking the premise of the show by engaging Bri as a ringer chef in any way helps the show.

muffaletta

muffaletta

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 8, 2013 @ 2:51 PM

The website is two years old. Plenty of 20 year olds change what they want to do/be. It's not a contradiction at all. Heck being a pastry chef and also wanting to be an actress/model wouldn't be that odd.

A lot of people on these cooking/reality competitions list acting as one of their ambitions.  I have seen it many times.  I don't think that's any coincidence.  I also don't think being a pastry chef qualifies Bri to be on MasterChef, does it?  If she has the talent to be hired as one, especially by Thomas Keller, of all the stratospheric chefs, then how is she not misrepresenting herself on MasterChef?  This is a show for home cooks, not accomplished pastry chefs.

theatremouse

theatremouse

Stalker

Posted Aug 8, 2013 @ 2:51 PM

Bri is most certainly a professional pastry chef now, but as long as she wasn't a professional pastry chef as of the time she show was filmed or prior, I don't see it being against the rules. I mean, it's suspicious if her only experience were the past four months and she just got such a big deal job straight from such a short time at her previous one, for sure, but unless some other bakery/restaurant claims her as having been a pastry chef before, I'm not sure we could call her a ringer. Unless her previous relationship with producers means they know she was some pastry wunderkind who somehow had not done so professionally before. It's...weird.

Edited by theatremouse, Aug 8, 2013 @ 2:52 PM.

muffaletta

muffaletta

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 8, 2013 @ 2:57 PM

But again, much like hiring Bri as a ringer, what is the point in hiring the in theory nice as pie Krissi and intentionally ordering her to flip people off and say fuck every ten seconds... on a *reality* show? I mean yes, I understand the idea of creating drama, but for this to work, basically why have a try out process at all and is anyone a *real* person? Or is Krissi the actress plant? So Bri and Krissi are *both* plants? Is anyone else "being told by the producer how to act"?

A lot of people who have genuinely bitchy personalities are hired to play the part of a bitchy person on TV.  Does it mean they're not acting when they're on TV just because they're bitches in real life too?  No.

Bri is most certainly a professional pastry chef now, but as long as she wasn't a professional pastry chef as of the time she show was filmed or prior, I don't see it being against the rules. I mean, it's suspicious if her only experience were the past four months and she just got such a big deal job straight from such a short time at her previous one, for sure, but unless some other bakery/restaurant claims her as having been a pastry chef before, I'm not sure we could call her a ringer. Unless her previous relationship with producers means they know she was some pastry wunderkind who somehow had not done so professionally before. It's...weird.

I would find it really, really hard to believe that she came from nowhere, did not have a formal pastry chef's education and yet somehow after the show was over suddenly got hired by culinary god Thomas Keller.  That's a stretch I would find it hard for any chef to achieve, much less a home cook who until a few months ago was making flaccid eclairs on national TV.

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2013 @ 3:09 PM

I would find it really, really hard to believe that she came from nowhere, did not have a formal pastry chef's education and yet somehow after the show was over suddenly got hired by culinary god Thomas Keller.  That's a stretch I would find it hard for any chef to achieve, much less a home cook who until a few months ago was making flaccid eclairs on national TV.

Yes, this really is suspicious. She can't make an eclair, & yet less than a year later she's a top pastry chef. When I was watching her last night, I also wondered how she knew how to filet the salmon.  I found that kind of odd. I could see how she might know how to cook a piece of it, but why would a vegetarian know how to break down an entire fish? She seems to be handling the non vegetable stuff with too much ease, it makes me wonder exactly how long has she been a vegetarian, like maybe since she was cast on the show?

aliyameadow

aliyameadow

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2013 @ 3:11 PM

At the beginning of the series, they showed the contestants wondering through the MC facilities. There appeared to be an area with dining tables covered with table clothes. As anyone seen them use this part of the set? Why would they need tables when the tasting is done at the front of the rows of contestants and if they have to make a meal, it seems they always go to where the people are (beach, etc.), they don't bring the people to them. 

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Posted Aug 8, 2013 @ 3:16 PM

... I also wondered how she knew how to filet the salmon.

She didn't know how to filet the salmon. Gordon and Graham commented on how she was doing it wrong.

Edited by aquarian1, Aug 8, 2013 @ 3:16 PM.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Aug 8, 2013 @ 3:21 PM

she's a top pastry chef

Working at Bouchon Bakery is definitely impressive; however, I wouldn't say it makes her a top pastry chef, she probably has a few chefs higher than her at the location she works at. For some reason i thought she was working at Bouchon the restaurant which would have been a tier up from the bakery but still behind The French Laundry and the Per Se locations within the Thomas Keller Restaurant Group, much less within the entire pastry world. I doubt Thomas Keller knows who she is but it's still going to look good on her resume.

There appeared to be an area with dining tables covered with table clothes. As anyone seen them use this part of the set?

In the past they have used it when it gets down to the final three or four when they are serving people like former contestants and it was used in the final challenge when they served the final judges.

Edited by biakbiak, Aug 8, 2013 @ 3:23 PM.

ZoloftBlob

ZoloftBlob

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2013 @ 3:30 PM

A lot of people who have genuinely bitchy personalities are hired to play the part of a bitchy person on TV. Does it mean they're not acting when they're on TV just because they're bitches in real life too? No.

Are you suggesting Krissi is bitchy in real life? Because I thought the running arguement here was that she was playing a role and doing what production was telling her and isn't normally one to screech the f word and talk about who she hates openly, and was not actually the nasty bitch she's depicting herself as.

In my opinion - and to be fair, opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and no one thinks theirs stinks, I don't think production is choosing nice people and forcing them or demanding or coercing them to act like the show villian. I don't think anyone's arm is being twisted in the confessionals. And I don't think some of the contestants are "real" while others are hired plants with their lines fed to them, if only because while it might help increase the directable drama, the producers would probably have to deal with some media stink if its discovered they are salting the mine so to speak with pastry chefs and actors acting as the villians.

muffaletta

muffaletta

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 8, 2013 @ 3:40 PM

Are you suggesting Krissi is bitchy in real life? Because I thought the running arguement here was that she was playing a role and doing what production was telling her and isn't normally one to screech the f word and talk about who she hates openly, and was not actually the nasty bitch she's depicting herself as.

I don't think I really know what Krissi really is like  in real life other than some racist comments she posted on her Twitter page, which might be seen as reason to think we are seeing her genuine self on MasterChef.  But even if I accepted that she is a raving bitch, I still don't necessarily believe that everything out of her mouth on MasterChef is genuinely her comment just because she has made some comments in her real life that are nasty and racist. 

ipj

ipj

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2013 @ 3:43 PM

Krissi can be a real life grump and still playing a villain to the hilt for production. ("Don't smile! You and Bri are in a feud!") I'll argue that the group shots and background one-on-one interactions don't show the sort of animosity we've been led to believe is there between herself and everyone else, but not that that means she's actually a mild-mannered saint or an actress.

I do believe that if production could convince everyone to start hitting each other with baguettes in a massive light saber battle, while shrieking apparently-heartfelt insults rather than giggling like loons, they'd do it.

I have never filleted a whole fish, but I could certainly extract usable salmon fillets just from watching MC.

As for the eclairs: they didn't have enough time. Everyone's eclairs were going to look bad, because they would be forced to fill and ice them still hot. Oddly--given we're talking dainty pastry--this was a time Jordan's upper body strength was a plus: he shook the hell out of his eclairs while filling them, which is why his were filled through and Jessie and Bri's were not.

muffaletta

muffaletta

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 8, 2013 @ 3:48 PM

Working at Bouchon Bakery is definitely impressive; however, I wouldn't say it makes her a top pastry chef, she probably has a few chefs higher than her at the location she works at. For some reason i thought she was working at Bouchon the restaurant which would have been a tier up from the bakery but still behind The French Laundry and the Per Se locations within the Thomas Keller Restaurant Group, much less within the entire pastry world. I doubt Thomas Keller knows who she is but it's still going to look good on her resume.

I still don't understand how she qualifies to be on MasterChef if it was all that easy for her to get a job with people who have graduated from French Culinary institutes, etc. (I looked at their credentials on the bakery website).  Unless she is just an intern there and going to culinary school at night.  I still feel that if she had the education and talent to get a job there she was misrepresented on the show as merely a "home cook" who acts underconfident and not up to every task she takes on (which I believe she is doing for her role as inexperienced prodigy on the show, and really is quite skilled).

jmhm

jmhm

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2013 @ 4:05 PM

I'm confused - is this all based on what Ben Starr says he heard from anonymous contestants (and those never have axes to grind) who comment on his blog? Because if she actually works there, she could be proofing dough as a ground-level apprentice for Thomas Keller, for all any of us know. 

Also, are we ignoring the disclaimer at the beginning of everything Ben Starr posts about this show where he says that other than his own past season he has no reliable information about any of this?

Edited by jmhm, Aug 8, 2013 @ 4:07 PM.

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Posted Aug 8, 2013 @ 4:05 PM

Being a pastry chef is very different from being a "regular" chef. So even if she has skills there, they would not translate. All chefs see "pastry" as something different and separate from "normal" cooking. Knowing how to bake cookies or even bread does not translate into searing scallops or making sushi or making risotto, etc.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Aug 8, 2013 @ 4:07 PM

Be that as it may, nearly every pressure test this season has been a pastry/baking challenge.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Aug 8, 2013 @ 4:09 PM

Because if she actually works there

In the interview I posted above with Bri she mentioned she was moving to NY to work there.

FreakyBunny

FreakyBunny

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 8, 2013 @ 4:39 PM

I too hate when they bring back ousted contestants. This was such a filler episode in a filler season. What an absolute waste of eggs. Tell me most of them were fake. Hopefully they found a shelter or food bank to go to. Geesh. 

And while we're objectifying women's appearances, I'll say this: I could watch Bri cook the phone book. She is unbelievably cute to me and just as endearing. I would to see her and Luka in the final two, but it will probably be the blond one and the tall guy. 

Pallida

Pallida

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 8, 2013 @ 4:48 PM

If I were a contestant on MasterChef (never gonna happen), I would be pissed at returning contestants.  As has been discussed in this thread earlier, the show essentially tries to create drama by making contestants sabotage others' chances (taking away mixers, dictating individuals get specific ingredients, etc.).  Eddie has enough experience with competition that he never seemed malicious in his strategy, but others sure alienated other competitors.  If your decision eliminated someone, that will likely affect how they treat you if they return.  Plus, this means one more elimination that someone has to get through, increasing odds of having a bad day and going home (especially if they do the stereotypical "double elimination").

Add me to the irritation at the wasted eggs and plates.  I want the producers and judges to spend some time at a food bank AND a landfill.  And then they can leave Joe at the landfill.  But then again, a show with a sponsor notorious for underpaying employees and food producers around the world probably doesn't care much about hunger or poverty.  /end soapbox

I'm hoping for Jesse and James (heh Jesse James!) as the final two.

KnoxForPres

KnoxForPres

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 8, 2013 @ 5:09 PM

I think it's interesting others mentioned falling asleep during this episode. I did too!

Even the contestants judging was boring. How many different ways can the sentence "the fish was cooked well, but the asparagus needed salt" be worded for goodness sake.

OreoCookie

OreoCookie

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 8, 2013 @ 5:26 PM

Actually, about the "tie", I wonder if they let them vote normally, and then make it a tie, with whomever won the vote winning.  Like, if Bri got 6 out of 7, in the reveal, she only gets 4, and they make it a tie for dramatic effect.  The outcome isn't changed, and no one's forced to (really) change their vote, but it's more dramatic for tv.

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2013 @ 5:53 PM

Actually, about the "tie", I wonder if they let them vote normally, and then make it a tie, with whomever won the vote winning.  Like, if Bri got 6 out of 7, in the reveal, she only gets 4, and they make it a tie for dramatic effect.  The outcome isn't changed, and no one's forced to (really) change their vote, but it's more dramatic for tv.

I have absolutely 100% no doubt that the votes, if real, are arranged in the most dramatic order possible by TPTB. If it truly was a 4-3 vote, then the producers were shitting themselves with delight.

"Portions of this program not affecting the outcome, including some timings, have been edited/recreated. Decisions were made by the judges with input from the producers. Some deliberations occurred off-camera".

The underlining is mine.

rose711

rose711

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 8, 2013 @ 7:22 PM

Isn't Ramsay a producer? And his wife?

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Aug 8, 2013 @ 8:09 PM

I had to FF through all the plate smashing. Jesus. Even if they were going to give the eggs to an animal shelter they couldn't after they mix them with broken glass; And it wasn't one of two for effect. It was over and effing over. Enough already.