MasterChef (US) or Steak: The Thread Derailer

• Please log in to reply

7709 replies to this topic

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Jun 2, 2013 @ 2:01 AM

1. You must be 18 years or older on January 1, 2013.
2. You must be a citizen or legal permanent resident of the United States. 
3. You cannot currently work as a professional chef and you cannot have ever worked as a professional chef. 
4. Your current main source of income cannot come from preparing and cooking fresh food in a professional environment (restaurant, hotels, canteens, catering etc).

I was incorrect, you CAN work in a restaurant, you just cannot prepare food. 

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted Jun 2, 2013 @ 2:33 AM

I saw the most recent episode, then went online to see the auditions.  Right from the start, Natasha was saying "people look at me and think, she's pretty, blah blah" 

She's not bad looking, but nowhere near pretty enough to think that people are constantly thinking she's so pretty that they don't take her seriously.

How insecure do you have to be to keep telling other people "I'm PRETTY!" 

sarahkohl

sarahkohl

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 2, 2013 @ 12:41 PM

With all of the overly produced drama this season, I was pleasantly touched by Beth. When she found out she made it onto the show, seemingly over Luca, she refused to celebrate, and seemed to torn about whether to join the contestants or console him. I hope her food is as classy as her personality.

Stewart G Griffin

Stewart G Griffin

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 3, 2013 @ 2:31 PM

Agree about Beth!  And the judges sure put Luca through the wringer before letting him know he was through.  The poor guy looked like he was thinking he was on his way out.

Edited by Stewart G Griffin, Jun 3, 2013 @ 2:31 PM.

potatoradio

potatoradio

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 3, 2013 @ 2:46 PM

Although I understand that smelling food is part of the eating experience, whenever I see one of the judges really sniffing a dish intently all I can imagine is that they are going to exhale and blow boogers all over the food.

Or end up with a forkful of nose hair. I'm waiting for a pea to get inhaled, lodged and Ramsey to yell "MEDIC!" Seriously, do even wine tasters make such a dramatic production out of sniffing? It's really so unecessary and unappealing.

Here in our house we nicknamed her "milkshake" due to the manner in which she shook her tits when entering the kitchen for her audition.

omg, thanks for this. She needed a theme song and she just got one!

muffaletta

muffaletta

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 3, 2013 @ 2:51 PM

With regard to the "tail" comments:

IMO the innuendo was intentional, by both the judges and the editors. Just because they were being clever about it doesn't make it less disgusting.

I totally agree, and I even have a life!

I don't like the tone that is being set by the producers this season.

Yes, starting in this early with manufactured feuds and psedo-hate between contestants who don’t know each other and act like they don’t even know why they hate each other is not getting off to a good start, IMO.  At least let it be somewhat genuine or based on their previous interactions.  I want to like them but lowering them to such a level takes away from my enjoyment of their successes, especially when they’re doing it with some of the most talented contestants like Natasha and Chrissy.  After a while they’ll have to make them more likeable if anyone is going to take them seriously, as I presume that both of them will probably be around for a while.

So far, I liked last season much better.

We all know the reality show drill...Natasha will stick around because, yes she can cook, but she brings the drama and bitch factor.  Krissy will continue to be shown as low-class Italian Big Momma who is oh-so jealous of the petite "stunning" stay at home mom.

Actually I thought it was the other way around.  Natasha is being depicted as threatened by the big Italian Momma because she’s a natural cook and she sees her as her biggest competition.  I didn’t see any evidence, whether real or manufactured, to suggest that Chrissy is in any way jealous and/or threatened by Natasha.  Rather, she acts full of confidence, like Natasha is just this pesky flea she is trying to flick off her shoulder.  Her face says, “Oh get over yourself” to me!  

At any rate, it looks like we’re being set up to root for the fatter, less attractive person who will prevail over the over-arrogant, self-superior, better looking snot.   This is fairly typical of American reality competitions.  Americans supposedly want the "average Jane" to win over the good looking talented "babe".   Yawn. (Trying to get inside Ramsay's head there).

Graham needs to stop smelling the food and staring at it on his fork.

He also needs to stop chomping down on it so hard that you can hear his teeth make contact with it.  At this rate, he'll need dental work in a few years!

Edited by muffaletta, Jun 3, 2013 @ 2:55 PM.

Stewart G Griffin

Stewart G Griffin

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 3, 2013 @ 5:27 PM

At any rate, it looks like we’re being set up to root for the fatter, less attractive person who will prevail over the over-arrogant, self-superior, better looking snot.

Personally, I'm actually hoping that Natasha prevails over Chrissi.

PhPhan

PhPhan

Fanatic

Posted Jun 3, 2013 @ 5:52 PM

I don't think either one of those women will win this.  I think after one goes, the other will fall.  They are now only set up for the drama.  Once their purpose is served, they are both toast.  

Stewart G Griffin

Stewart G Griffin

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 3, 2013 @ 8:55 PM

Don't think they'll win either.  Just meant that I was hoping Natasha would last longer than Chrissi.

ZoloftBlob

ZoloftBlob

Fanatic

Posted Jun 3, 2013 @ 9:28 PM

Personally, I'm actually hoping that Natasha prevails over Chrissi.

I'm six of one, half dozen of another on that. And I agree with you, Stewie, that neither will actually win (my money is on one of the quiet ones).

I don't like Natasha because as "an average looking woman" I really really hate it when women play the "and I am SOOO pretty!" card, especially when Natasha is nicely groomed but otherwise not exactly amazing. But she is a good cook, the tart was a good idea.

I don't like Chrissi in that she reminds me too much of my mom when she's going on about how that bitch Natasha thought she didn't know what a langostine is  - Chrissi seems to have a lot of resentment towards Natasha simply because Natasha seems to come from a more upper class background. And I will call a lil bit of bullshit on the langostine mac and cheese in that I ain't no fru fru frilly girl, while I have never had langostine mac and cheese, I have had langostine lobster burritos at Rubio's.... so if she made the lobster connection then lobster mac and cheese isn't exactly an exotic stretch. Nor is it that hard to make well - hell my safeway has lobster mac and cheese in the frozen aisle. So she hasn't challenged herself in my opinion, and while I love flipping the bird and all.... I generally don't like reality contestants who completely lack the self awareness to control themselves even the tiniest bit. Howard was being a jerk, but he wasn't being such a jerk that I needed to see Chrissi give him the finger multiple times while grinning like a fool.

My guess? Natasha has more technical chops and she's more attractive so she'll get to be an asshole over Chrissi leaving. But niether will win unless they seriously step it up.

larrymcg421

larrymcg421

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2013 @ 12:39 AM

Re:  Natasha not competing after winning the Mystery Box Challenge.  I may be all wrong but I seem to recall Christine always insisting upon competing even after winning several MBCs.  But then, she was a class act all the way.

Huh? Christine only won one MBC. She competed after winning it, but that's because it was final three and immunity wasn't her advantage (as was the case with other MBC's last season). She got to select what each person cooked with. In fact, not a single person last season refused to take immunity after winning a MBC. After losing a team challenge, Frank refused to take immunity for himself and then Felix and Scott refused immunity when he offered it to them. If any of them had been eliminated in that challenge, it would've been a decision as stupid as Erik Reichenbach or Brandon Hantz giving up immunity on Survivor.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2013 @ 6:27 AM

I thought the one who won immunity from elimination could choose to keep the immunity (duh) but, if they wanted, for whatever reason,  they could also participate in the cooking task without actually being in the competition/judging part. Sounds like an iffy idea to me. If someone wins immunity and participates anyway, but aren't judged, they'll still be sort of indirectly judged by whatever they make. If theirs isn't the best, it doesn't look so great. I didn't enjoy what's her name up there, upstairs, literally looking down on people, smirking and trash talking though.

Corporal Agarn

Corporal Agarn

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2013 @ 8:38 AM

You know, I thought Natasha was attractive until she mentioned it.  Now I can't help but pick apart her appearance.  The more she insists upon it, the more I see to argue against that.  Should have kept her mouth shut. 

Props to her, though, for thinking of using bacon fat in the dough.  That was a great idea.

Harold the Wonder Dog

Harold the Wonder Dog

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 4, 2013 @ 9:48 AM

Re:  Natasha not competing after winning the Mystery Box Challenge.  I may be all wrong but I seem to recall Christine always insisting upon competing even after winning several MBCs.  But then, she was a class act all the way.

I've recently watched the past 3 seasons, so they're all a little stuck in my head still. If I'm recalling correctly, you may be thinking of Jennifer from season 2. She had won a Mystery Box, and won immunity. The elimination challenge's special ingredient (I can't recall if she chose it amongst three) was black truffles. The judges gave her a choice on giving up her immunity, and she reasoned she came to MasterChef to challenge herself and experience ingredients she's never encounter before, so she chose to compete. In the end, I don't believe she made a good dish, but I don't remember if she landed in the bottom 3.

Edited by Harold the Wonder Dog, Jun 4, 2013 @ 9:53 AM.

susannot

susannot

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2013 @ 11:41 AM

Thanks, Harold the Wonder Dog.  You're right, I'm getting my seasons confused.

muffaletta

muffaletta

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2013 @ 2:17 PM

I don't like Natasha because as "an average looking woman" I really really hate it when women play the "and I am SOOO pretty!" card, especially when Natasha is nicely groomed but otherwise not exactly amazing. But she is a good cook, the tart was a good idea.

In my opinion Natasha is an average looking woman and should get over herself.

I don't like Chrissi in that she reminds me too much of my mom when she's going on about how that bitch Natasha thought she didn't know what a langostine is  - Chrissi seems to have a lot of resentment towards Natasha simply because Natasha seems to come from a more upper class background. 

I thought Krissi dissed Natasha because Natasha started hating her for no reason.  Krissi told Ramsay that she couldn't understand why people were hating her already.  Krissi appears to me like a very confident woman who isn't threatened by people like Natasha but will send back the hate and nasty comments when hurled her way.  And as far as I'm concerned Natasha doesn't come from any higher class than Krissi.  I don't tend to associate "class" with external economic brackets, though.  Krissi is articulate, mature, and intelligent.  Just because she is a paralegal from Philadelphia and has a certain accent and mannerisms doesn't make her lower class in my view.

jersey guy 87

jersey guy 87

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2013 @ 4:37 PM

I thought Krissi dissed Natasha because Natasha started hating her for no reason.  Krissi told Ramsay that she couldn't understand why people were hating her already.  Krissi appears to me like a very confident woman who isn't threatened by people like Natasha but will send back the hate and nasty comments when hurled her way.  And as far as I'm concerned Natasha doesn't come from any higher class than Krissi.  I don't tend to associate "class" with external economic brackets, though.  Krissi is articulate, mature, and intelligent.  Just because she is a paralegal from Philadelphia and has a certain accent and mannerisms doesn't make her lower class in my view.

Krissi doesn't strike me as confident, nor articulate, mature and intelligent.  She already professes a hate for Natasha and Howard, people she's barely met.  But I don't like Natasha either, I'm looking forward to both of them going home.

ZoloftBlob

ZoloftBlob

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2013 @ 6:59 PM

I thought Krissi dissed Natasha because Natasha started hating her for no reason. 

That certainly may be true - Natasha gives off that "us pretty girls are a team and all the fat old bitches are our enemy" vibe - but Krissi was also pretty hostile right off the bat.

Krissi told Ramsay that she couldn't understand why people were hating her already.  Krissi appears to me like a very confident woman who isn't threatened by people like Natasha but will send back the hate and nasty comments when hurled her way. 

Of course she ran and tattled to Ramsey and of course she has no idea why anyone could have a problem. Yes I know they were asking questions of the contestants but thats basically bait to make a scene and Krissi took the drama bait with glee. (so did Natasha, she's no better). I disagree about her confidence - I think she's loudly attacking others because she percieves them as competition and knows she can work the "I'm doing this for my boy so I can give him a better life, I *need this*" angle. A cook confident in their abilities shows it by cooking, not by muttering cuss words and giving the finger on camera.

And as far as I'm concerned Natasha doesn't come from any higher class than Krissi.  I don't tend to associate "class" with external economic brackets, though. 

I think there's economic class, and then there's social class. I think Natasha percieves Krissi as being on a lower economic level and assumes because of Krissi's background that she probably isn't experienced with gourmet cooking. And she may have a point - Krissi has made meat loaf and mac n cheese. She  has done well but is probably cruising for a chef tongue lashing about "is all you are a good comfort food cook?". Natasha also seems to place a high importance on personal appearence so she looks down on Krissi as inferior and Krissi probably senses it.

But where I would call Krissi "lower class" isn't the Philly accent or the schtick about comfort food, its the grinning while flipping the bird like she's a ten year old who thinks she's cool. Its a competition, you don't have to be friends, but you also don't have to delight making vulgar gestures on national tv. Its called showing some personal dignity and she didn't.

And Natasha wasn't any better with her ascent up to the catwalk loft to pointedly and publically be a bitch to those beneath her. I would be shocked if either won.

jmhm

jmhm

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2013 @ 7:20 PM

Of course she ran and tattled to Ramsey and of course she has no idea why anyone could have a problem. Yes I know they were asking questions of the contestants but thats basically bait to make a scene and Krissi took the drama bait with glee.

Actually, the person she spoke to about it was Joe. Twice. Because he asked. Twice.

I think there's economic class, and then there's social class. I think Natasha percieves Krissi as being on a lower economic level and assumes because of Krissi's background that she probably isn't experienced with gourmet cooking. And she may have a point - Krissi has made meat loaf and mac n cheese.

Funnily, Ramsay liked her food.

Edited by jmhm, Jun 4, 2013 @ 7:21 PM.

ZoloftBlob

ZoloftBlob

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2013 @ 7:30 PM

Actually, the person she spoke to about it was Joe. Twice. Because he asked. Twice.

Sorry, I didn't correct the person I was quoted. Yes it was Joe, and on both occasions she could have avoided taking the bait, and instead merrily went off.

And yes, Ramsey likes her food until he's decided that she's not going to show him something new. Mind you, I think she is a good cook, but will she win? I don't know... but I imagine she won't be giving double middle fingers on the cover of her cook book... because its low class behavior.

jmhm

jmhm

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2013 @ 8:00 PM

Sorry, I didn't correct the person I was quoted. Yes it was Joe, and on both occasions she could have avoided taking the bait, and instead merrily went off.

What little point I have is this: it's remarkably easy to be sucked into the narrative on shows like this, to the point where we remember what we expected to see.

ZoloftBlob

ZoloftBlob

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2013 @ 9:01 PM

Yeah I am pretty sure I didn't imagine Krissi giving the finger to people. Also pretty sure she was happy to outline the whole "Natasha hates me and I hate her" view.

As it happens, I think these two - Natasha and Krissi - will be the early villians and will both fall by the wayside.

Dezdemona

Dezdemona

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2013 @ 6:34 AM

I find the amped up rivalries distracting.  Natasha may be a good cook,but she overestimates her looks.  At least three of the contestants are prettier than she is, in my estimation.   OTOH, Krissi seems to have a chip on her shoulder and might be one of those people who perpetually gets into hassles over real or imagined slights.  I don't think either one will win, but we'll be forced to put up with them for awhile yet.

joanne3482

joanne3482

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2013 @ 9:34 AM

You know, I thought Natasha was attractive until she mentioned it.  Now I can't help but pick apart her appearance.  The more she insists upon it, the more I see to argue against that. 

When my niece was a little girl, she was a pretty cute kid. Unfortunately she knew it and it showed on her face which took away from her pretty. I view Natasha in that same light. She has nice features. She's got gorgeous hair (I have a lot of hair envy for that thick, shiny hair). But she's bought into her own hype and it is unattractive. She seems to be an unpleasant person to boot so that further takes away from her pretty.

I can't wait for tonight's episode just so we can get to know some of the others more. I'm intrigued by the guy who did the popcorn with lobster(?) for his audition dish and would like to know more about Lynn. I am not thrilled that it is a 2 hour epi.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Jun 5, 2013 @ 9:49 AM

You know, I thought Natasha was attractive until she mentioned it.

Wasn't it literally one of the first things she stated when she came on camera?

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Jun 5, 2013 @ 11:36 AM

I think Natasha did some modeling at some point and I guess the photographer telling her how beautiful she was went straight to her head. She's got a blog with some nice photography, so she definitely has some ties to that sort of thing still.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2013 @ 12:10 PM

I think Natasha did some modeling at some point and I guess the photographer telling her how beautiful she was went straight to her head. She's got a blog with some nice photography, so she definitely has some ties to that sort of thing still.

I can't find the blog, so maybe Natasha is or was photogenic. Her opening and telling us how hot she is was a turn off. It reminds me of those turds in life who constantly remind people of what a gentleman they are. If you are what you say that you are people will notice without being told. It's not becoming. Plus she was a turd on the balcony. And apparently I can't stop saying turd.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Jun 5, 2013 @ 1:17 PM

Here is Natasha's blog:

http://friskymama.blogspot.com/

jersey guy 87

jersey guy 87

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2013 @ 2:40 PM

I find the amped up rivalries distracting.  Natasha may be a good cook,but she overestimates her looks.  At least three of the contestants are prettier than she is, in my estimation.   OTOH, Krissi seems to have a chip on her shoulder and might be one of those people who perpetually gets into hassles over real or imagined slights.  I don't think either one will win, but we'll be forced to put up with them for awhile yet.

I'm definitely in the "why do we have to choose between Krissi and Natasha camp, they both suck" camp.  Their "rivalry" is cheesy and overhyped already, we haven't seen enough of either to determine if they're winning material and they both come across as jerks.

PoorKitty

PoorKitty

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2013 @ 3:22 PM

Krissi doesn't strike me as confident, nor articulate, mature and intelligent.

But where I would call Krissi "lower class" isn't the Philly accent or the schtick about comfort food, its the grinning while flipping the bird like she's a ten year old who thinks she's cool.

When I refer to someone has having/not having class it's never about money.  One can be poor as a snake and still carry themselves with grace.

Read a couple of Natasha's blog entries from the link.  She's not putting on an act for the show.  What an arrogant, snobbish, self-centered little snot!