10-Year Rewatch: Fiji: Volcanic Cannibal Pirates

• Please log in to reply

90 replies to this topic

Yogurt Baron

Yogurt Baron

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 3:56 AM

Somebody on the One World board (enlightenedbum?) recently mentioned the too-much-of-a-jury-threat-to-ever-make-FTC trifecta of Rob C, Cirie, and Yau, which got me to thinking. If I were Cassandra and Dreamz, I would've been at least tempted to go up against Yau over Earl against this particular jury.

Rocky, Alex, Mookie, Edgardo, Boo. Five hunks without a working brain cell between them. (Lisi's also dumb and a hunk...of something.) On such a bitter jury where the prevailing sentiment was, "We're all awesome, man! You people are all visible minorities and suck!", I think it was easy to default to voting for the Alpha Male. And Yau doesn't look that part in the way that Earl does. I can't see anyone on that jury wanting to lose to a fifty-something, three-foot-tall science teacher.

I also don't know how Yau would have played the jury. I don't think he respected most of them (nor should he have; what a bunch of louts), and was he politician enough to pretend otherwise? I can easily see him coming off as condescending in response to a question from Rocky or Lisi.

Now, probably they would have still gone with Yau 9-0, because it's not like they would have wanted to lose to Dreamz or Cassandra. But if I were Cassandra, I think I would have said, "Shit, I'm losing 9-0 to Earl anyway---why not throw a Hail Mary pass and hope some of these people are bitter enough that if they're not given a big strong man to vote for, they'll vote for me?"

Easy to say in hindsight, I know. But I can't imagine where Cassandra or Dreamz thought they'd get a single vote up against Earl, and so why not take a shot? (Also, Yau being so awesome, I'm surprised there wasn't a Colby-Tina/Lil-Fairplay situation where Cassandra and Dreamz chose to give him the win instead of Earl. Earl deserves a lot of credit for that.)

TDWT Kristen

TDWT Kristen

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 5:28 PM

I don't think Dreamz or Cassandra would've beaten Yau-Man, either. If Cassandra's treatment by the jury was any indication, she'd have lost whether Yau-Man or Earl was the third person in the F3 with them. Dreamz had no chance, either, due to turning on the Horsemen. Breaking the deal with Yau-Man only ensured it.

soupcat

soupcat

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 11:00 PM

In the reunion, Probst asked how many jury members would've voted for Yau-Man if he'd made it to the end, and at least six of them raise their hands. So Yau would have definitely beaten Earl.

Yogurt Baron, I think Earl flew under the radar among his fellow players more than the editing suggested. Cassandra and Dreamz really could not have expected to do better against Yau-Man. Clearly Yau was the most well-liked person out there among potential jury members.

I just watched this season for the first time. I've been wanting to see it since I liked Yau-Man so much in the season where he returned briefly and was the second person to get voted out. This is definitely one of my favorite seasons but the producers made some truly atrocious decisions here, with the "haves" and "have-nots" getting such starkly different treatment to the point where the "haves" had waaaaay too much stuff. Even worse, the merge was not really a merge because the remaining players got split up into two tribes for the voting yet AGAIN, causing Michelle to get knocked out pretty arbitrarily. I didn't even think Michelle was an especially interesting player but that was just stupid. If it's a merge, then jeez, merge already, no more tribes and no more teams! Even weirder, with Michelle gone, Stacy suddenly bonds with Earl, or maybe realizes that she's on the outs with the Horsemen, or something. The editors didn't really show us how Stacy came to this decision or how Earl recruited her (or Boo, for that matter) for the Core/Syndicate. I was baffled by that. She came to her senses after she was a terrible player when she in the "have" tribe, with her and Lisi openly alienating Cassandra and Dreamz and encouraging them to flip to Ravu after a merge. I imagine it would've played out that way if Ravu had been pagonged down to three players and then merged at 10. But then the producers pulled a really late random tribal switch and suddenly everybody made new alliances surprisingly quickly.

So, this was definitely an unpredictable season after the merge, even though I knew, before watching it, that Earl would win and that Yau-Man was #4, because I didn't see the original broadcast and only watched it... well, just now.

Yogurt Baron

Yogurt Baron

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 11:44 PM

One other thing about Fiji: though I agree that the Edgardo blindside was a great moment, I've always thought it was silly that Survivor lore treats it as heroic Earl and Yau overcoming the evil Four Horsemen. Actually, the Four Horsemen didn't get beat; the Three Horsemen got beat by the fourth horseman being a crazy idiot. Good for Team Earl getting Dreamz to flip, and all, but still: saying that the Edgardo blindside represented a toppling of the Four Horsemen is like saying Chris Daugherty beat the Ami-Scout-Twila-Eliza alliance, or like saying South Pacific hinged on Coach's team beating Cochran's team.

And, again, if you align with Dreamz, you get what you deserve. But I wouldn't object to Alex playing again---he's not on my Dream All-Stars season, but he's more qualified than half the people who made it onto ASS. When he and his Horsemen seemed to be in charge, I think he was a much more down-to-earth guy than he gets credit for, constantly giving confessionals about how happy he was that things seem to be going well but that that could change at any moment. I've never seen (except in the jury questions, of course) the alleged arrogance.

enlightenedbum

enlightenedbum

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 12:46 AM

The editors didn't really show us how Stacy came to this decision or how Earl recruited her (or Boo, for that matter) for the Core/Syndicate.

Boo realized that Michelle was in the Earl-Yau group and offered his services, instantly going from next out to fourth or fifth. Stacy is less obvious, but I think what happened was that at the reward challenge in the best episode ever, all of the "which of your tribemates sucks the most" questions went to her so she realized she was doomed. At that point, she acted to ensure someone she liked (Yau or Earl) would end up winning and also joined the Earlliance.

Which means the Four Horseman still lose, even without Dreamz shenanigans. Well, they might be able to force a tie and flip Stacy back, if they could aim an idol properly, which is doubtful.

TDWT Kristen

TDWT Kristen

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 4:16 PM

soupcat
I liked Yau-Man so much in the season where he returned briefly and was the second person to get voted out.

Yau-Man was actually the third person voted out of Micronesia. Jonny Fairplay and Mary were voted out before him.

soupcat
Even weirder, with Michelle gone, Stacy suddenly bonds with Earl, or maybe realizes that she's on the outs with the Horsemen, or something. The editors didn't really show us how Stacy came to this decision or how Earl recruited her (or Boo, for that matter) for the Core/Syndicate. I was baffled by that.

It was a combination of many things. For one thing, like enlightenedbum mentioned, the Reward Challenge that showed her how disliked she was. Then, Alex tried to bully her (and not very effectively) into sticking with him and Edgardo, saying that she "owed" them for saving her over Michelle, even though Stacy knew it was only Dreamz being stupid for voting out Michelle over her that saved her. Finally, she went to Yau-Man, telling them how worried she was about flipping because she knew the Horsemen would probably be mad at her, but her promised her his protection if she did. So she made her choice right then, which was cemented when she (wisely and awesomely) suggested Edgardo for the boot over Alex and Mookie.

Jyn

Jyn

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 12:03 AM

I have always wondered how differently this season would have been had Mellisa McNulty not quit. How the tribes would have been divided, if the women still would have been completely screwed from the get-go, & so-on.

Fiji was supposed to be a racially-segregated season just like Cook Islands was, with the tribes being split up as follows:

Caucasian: Melissa, Jessica, Gary, Rocky, and Boo.
Hispanic: Liliana, Rita, Lisi, Edgardo, and Alex.
Asian: Sylvia, Michelle, Mookie, Stacy, and Yau-Man.
Black: Erica, Anthony, Dreamz, Cassandra, and Earl.

After two Tribal Councils, I'm betting they were supposed to dissolve into two tribes, just like in Cook Islands.

With Melissa quitting, they were forced to make the change on the fly, and thus had to settle for having the nineteen remaining castaways camp together for the first two days before they finally came up with their solution on the third day.

Dreamz was doing the right things, if he was under the belief it was a final 2 TC. He wanted himself, Cassandra, and Stacey all in his alliance, as he knew two of them were less liked then he was. Fact is, Dreamz was doing it right if he thought it was a final 2 TC.

Dreamz was? I think Cassandra was doing most of the right things. Dreamz seemed to not even know how to play the game. Or at least not play it well.

Edited by Jyn, Jun 11, 2012 @ 10:25 PM.

Unconditional

Unconditional

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 7:21 PM

Was there ever any more given on the story of the quitter, and if so where could I read more? Years ago there wasn't much information available but I'd be interested if there are any new developments now.

Jyn

Jyn

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 7:57 PM

When Survivor Live was still running on CBS.com, she called in the same week Jessica was there to talk to Dalton and Jenna and explained what happened. (Oddly, she got more time to talk than even Jessica did.) She had an anxiety attack hours before the castaways were to be sent out onto the island and finally quit just before they left. They had no time to bring in an alternate because the cast had been finalized by then.

That's all I was able to find out.

Yogurt Baron

Yogurt Baron

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 8:18 PM

Dreamz was? I think Cassandra was doing most of the rights things. Dreamz seemed to not even know how to play the game. Or at least not play it well.

It would be so hard to be Dreamz, I think. 99% of players, you can point to something they could've done differently that could've gotten them further in the game; Dreamz's problem was who he was, not how he played, and there's nothing he could have done differently or better other than having a completely different personality.

The only decision Dreamz could have made differently that might have served him well would've been keeping his deal with Yau and trying to position himself for a "hero" edit/an invite back.

MKX

MKX

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 19, 2012 @ 9:24 PM

Yau, Earl, and Cassandra are certainly more likable than Alex, Mookie and Edgardo, but that doesn't make the Horsemen villains.

On rewatching I found Edgardo and Alex (jury aside) a lot more likeable than Earl and Cassandra who were both pretty dull to me the second time around. Edgardo actually had some interesting things to say and decent ideas even though he was underedited. Mookie was a little dour, but I can't really blame him being the only one to live on the have-nots tribe the entire pre-merge. What an awful twist that was.

Mr. 888

Mr. 888

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2012 @ 11:55 PM

The only decision Dreamz could have made differently that might have served him well would've been keeping his deal with Yau and trying to position himself for a "hero" edit/an invite back.

Or not agreeing to the car deal in the first place. He still probably would have lost because he wasn't that likeable, and ultimately being somewhat respected by the jury matters, but he had a tendency to jump into decisions and not think about the ramifications until later.

Stacy is less obvious, but I think what happened was that at the reward challenge in the best episode ever, all of the "which of your tribemates sucks the most" questions went to her so she realized she was doomed. At that point, she acted to ensure someone she liked (Yau or Earl) would end up winning and also joined the Earlliance.

I remember an interview sort of confirming this. Stacy also adds that she got weird vibes from Alex/Edgardo after the tribal switch, feeling those two had closer ties (and were certainly more friendly) with Mookie/Dre. Earl and Yau-Man seemed less ruthless and more likeable, and I think that factored into her making a switch.

Resmudge

Resmudge

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2012 @ 8:32 AM

On rewatching I found Edgardo and Alex (jury aside) a lot more likeable than Earl and Cassandra who were both pretty dull to me the second time around.

I liked Edgardo and Alex too, aside from Alex losing his mind at FTC. They got too cocky about being in power, but they seemed like basically nice guys. Earl was fine, just not very interesting, but Cassandra drove me nuts. She never had anything to contribute to a conversation and her constant, "mmm hmmmm yeah"ing while other people were talking got to be like nails on a chalkboard. She's probably a lovely person, but I couldn't stand her.

Yogurt Baron

Yogurt Baron

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2012 @ 5:37 PM

Cassandra drove me nuts.

Aww. To me, Cassandra is the epitome of how outcome dictates editing dictates perception. Cassandra may have come the closest to winning of any non-winner - she's in the top five, at least. Kind of like how Cirie would've won Micronesia if it had been an F3---I'm convinced that Cassandra likely wins Fiji if it's an F2. Dreamz would have been the frontrunner in a traditional F3 immunity challenge, and of course he'd have taken her, and she'd have won 9-0, like literally anybody except maybe a Hantz would against Dreamz. And if that had happened, she'd have gotten the mastermind edit. But because of the F3 (or "flaw in the game"---perhaps I am a Hantz) they were able to edit her as the basically-invisible, slightly-annoying hanger-on.

Mr. 888

Mr. 888

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2012 @ 10:15 PM

Aww. To me, Cassandra is the epitome of how outcome dictates editing dictates perception. Cassandra may have come the closest to winning of any non-winner - she's in the top five, at least. Kind of like how Cirie would've won Micronesia if it had been an F3---I'm convinced that Cassandra likely wins Fiji if it's an F2. Dreamz would have been the frontrunner in a traditional F3 immunity challenge, and of course he'd have taken her, and she'd have won 9-0, like literally anybody except maybe a Hantz would against Dreamz.

Though I still have doubts Cirie would have won Micronesia in an F3 (Amanda may be infamously known as a goat, but she had her three votes for her fairly locked in that situation), I do think Cassandra was screwed over by the F3 twist, which led to her so-so editing. But that jury seemed pretty misogynistic too, a few of them were harping on her for ridiculous reasons. She didn't do great in the individual challenges, but Earl didn't win any Immunities either. She was on the outs of her tribe in the beginning, but then again, so was Cirie. Cassandra nailed every question in that "Rank your fellow castaways" challenge, which has to count for something.

I also think though that if it were an F2, Earl might have forced a tie at F4 between Yau-Man and Cassandra, figuring that if Cassandra was eliminated, Dreamz would have to take Earl over Yau-Man to the F2.

Unconditional

Unconditional

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 21, 2012 @ 2:42 AM

I liked Edgardo and Alex too, aside from Alex losing his mind at FTC. They got too cocky about being in power, but they seemed like basically nice guys.

I actually liked Alex because not only did he understand what was going on in Moto and how to play the game, he was the biggest vocal opponent to Lisi/Stacey's obnoxious treatment of Cassandra/Dreamz. I think it's totally understandable why he stepped up at the FTC, because Cassandra truly didn't take any initiative whatsoever over the course of the season. She did switch the game up a couple of times but those were really no-brainers given who she had on her side at the time, and I personally have always been annoyed when people are EMBARRASSINGLY bad at challenges. There's a neverending argument concerning the importance of challenges and the role they play in determining the ability of each player, but there are a handful of people across the seasons that are just totally inept at virtually every challenge and she's one of them. It makes it hard seeing her repeat her strong finish had she came from Ravu, or any other tribe that didn't start a season with a massive advantage.

DileChordata

DileChordata

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 21, 2012 @ 4:08 AM

I think it's totally understandable why he stepped up at the FTC, because Cassandra truly didn't take any initiative whatsoever over the course of the season.

I think pulling Boo and Dreamz into the Syndicate by taking them on her reward with her showed plenty of initiative and not a "no-brainer" at all. I think Alex was a total dick to her at that Final Tribal Council, and it steamed me when Probst praised him for it at the reunion.

Oholibamah

Oholibamah

Stalker

Posted Sep 25, 2012 @ 5:08 PM

I recall being quite livid every time Alex/Mookie/Edgardo/Dreamz graced my screen, even long before FTC. Along with Lisi and Rocky, they helped make this one of my two least favorite seasons/casts ever. (The other is obviously Gabon). You know when STACY is in your top 4 contestants in a season, it's a rough cast.

They just oozed cockiness and it drove me nuts. And any "point" Alex had at FTC was outweighed by his absolute obnoxiousness. "Can you translate, Edgardo?" Take a seat, you ego-bloated asshat.

Edited by Oholibamah, Sep 25, 2012 @ 5:08 PM.

Mr. 888

Mr. 888

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2012 @ 6:07 PM

They just oozed cockiness and it drove me nuts. And any "point" Alex had at FTC was outweighed by his absolute obnoxiousness. "Can you translate, Edgardo?" Take a seat, you ego-bloated asshat.

Yeah, that line didn't even make sense. He was trying to badger Cassandra for voting off Stacy (newsflash, Alex, she didn't because Yau used the HII. YOU WERE THERE, ALEX).

Cassandra wasn't great at physical challenges, but she was leagues better than Lisi. Cassandra nailed the social challenge. Cassandra did fine in the puzzles and the dancing challenge. Cassandra got the game-winning point in the memory challenge. Lisi injured herself during that challenge. Lisi did worse in almost every challenge Cassandra was in, and she's in the running for Worst Contestant Ever.

doctorb

doctorb

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 2, 2012 @ 4:07 PM

I don't know who said it but my favorite line was "this isn't survival, this is thrival!" when the groups either switched or merged.

SnideAsides

SnideAsides

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2012 @ 6:58 PM

Cassandra wasn't great at physical challenges, but she was leagues better than Lisi. Cassandra nailed the social challenge. Cassandra did fine in the puzzles and the dancing challenge. Cassandra got the game-winning point in the memory challenge. Lisi injured herself during that challenge. Lisi did worse in almost every challenge Cassandra was in, and she's in the running for Worst Contestant Ever.

Agreed - not only did Cassandra do well in the social challenge, she's the only person ever to win it without getting a question wrong.

loki567

loki567

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 8, 2012 @ 4:46 PM

I really think Cassandra was an underrated player. She almost out-Earled Earl, so to speak. If Yau-Man hadn't used his idol and gotten evicted at F6, I'm thinking Earl would have been picked off at F5 or F4. Even though Earl got credit for being the head of the alliance, by the end of the game more of the decisions seemed to run through her. Stacy and Dreamz had tighter bonds with Cassandra and Boo voted with them as well.

daisydonut

daisydonut

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 4, 2013 @ 5:33 PM

I recently saw Alex on a commercial for some investment company. He was shown two or three times, but had no spoken lines. Wasn't he a lawyer or something when he went on Survivor?

scowl

scowl

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 28, 2013 @ 3:45 PM

I'm a few episodes into what must be the most unwatchable season of Survivor ever. One cast member even backed out at the last minute. How did they know?

The producers assumed that the audience enjoys watching people suffer every week so they check one tribe into the Four Seasons while the other tribe sleeps in a cave on the ground. So what happens? The dirt tribe loses every challenge in the first 14 days. Wow, who could predicted that? Oh yeah, anyone.

Then to solve this problem they mix up the tribes with a schoolyard pick. Apparently they forgot how well the schoolyard pick worked at Palau so they ended up with one tribe full of beefy guys. Brilliant. Lisi didn't get picked and started celebrating because she thought that meant she could go home.

There are not a lot of engaging personalities to root for. Edgardo's strangely curved spine spooks me.

loki567

loki567

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 30, 2013 @ 5:42 AM

Hang on. Very weak pre-merge, very strong post-merge. 

RaceBirch

RaceBirch

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 30, 2013 @ 3:09 PM

I actually thought the season got stronger once the swap happened.  All of the awesome people ended up on one tribe, while the sucky ones ended up on the other . . . and kept on losing.

scowl

scowl

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 30, 2013 @ 6:10 PM

One good thing about the swap: the sucky people were all guys and the two with the biggest mouths, "Dreamz" and "Rocky". Has anyone with a glorifying nickname not been a bozo, other than "Fabio" (which was kind of a joke)? 

I'm up to the merge, and the "burglary" of the Moto beach. I don't mind seeing the cast rough it but throwing them back on the dirt feels like cruelty on behalf of the producers. They don't even appear to enjoy food rewards because they're worried they'll find out later it was poison. 

Splitting a merged tribe for a single tribal counsel was a weird and pointless trick. TPTB seemed to be trying every random idea they could think of. The fake merge in Thailand was a brilliant deception but repeatedly changing the expected rules is disorienting for the audience almost as much as the cast.

Love Yau-Man! The only one who took a running start with the spear and nailed the target. The only one who noticed that some of the arrows were bent and nailed the target with a straight one.

BK1978

BK1978

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2014 @ 5:23 PM

I recall being quite livid every time Alex/Mookie/Edgardo/Dreamz graced my screen, even long before FTC. Along with Lisi and Rocky, they helped make this one of my two least favorite seasons/casts ever. (The other is obviously Gabon). You know when STACY is in your top 4 contestants in a season, it's a rough cast.

These are my thoughts exactly.  Granted I have not watched the season since it aired but I do remember having a strong dislike Alex, Moookie, and Rocky right from the start of the game.  I never really disliked Dreamz or Edgardo as neither really did much to make me dislike them.

Lisi and Rocky have to be hands down the two players I hated the most in the history of the show and I tend to like the people that most others hate (Russell, Coach, Randy, Jerri).  I think with Rocky the main reason why I disliked him is because I identified with Anthony, Anthony actually reminded me a lot of myself (Granted I cannot remember why now because it has been such a long time since I watched the show but I do remember thinking that at the time.) and so I really disliked Rocky for bullying him.

Lisi was just...wow words cannot describe her.  She is hands down the worst contestant ever and there is no doubt in my opinion.

The funny thing about this season was it gave me three of my favorite contestants in Yau-Man, Earl, and Michelle.  I guess you take the good with the bad.

loki567

loki567

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2014 @ 8:43 PM

The funny thing about this season was it gave me three of my favorite contestants in Yau-Man, Earl, and Michelle.  I guess you take the good with the bad.

I say Survivor's at it's best when the good are getting one over on the bad. It's why I can't think of a better Survivor moment than Eduardo being voted out. So, so satisfying. 

RaceBirch

RaceBirch

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 14, 2014 @ 10:28 PM

I'd definitely take those three plus Cassandra.  Those were my four favorite castaways.  Everyone else I was either "meh" on or thought sucked.  Well . . . no, I liked Boo and late-game Stacy, but neither was a huge favorite of mine.